PDA

View Full Version : No Old Dogs on Canadian National Sr. Men's team

ZagNative
06-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I was surprised to see no Zags on the Canadian Senibor Men's National Team preliminary roster that will attend the 2016 national team tryout and training camp, tipping off today in Toronto, ON. Basketball.ca. (http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/2016-mens-national-team-camp-roster)

The group will participate in a 6-day training camp from June 10th -15th at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

"Given the time of year, player availability is always changing. We're continuing to talk to teams and players may become available as the summer progresses," said Steve Nash, general manager, men’s national team. "Playing for your country is an honour, we have a deep pool of talent who are committed to playing for Canada and we're ready to get to work."

They will then head to Italy on June 17th, where they will train and participate in a 5-game exhibition tournament against 12th-ranked Croatia, 14th-ranked China and 16th-ranked Puerto Rico. China qualified for the Games in 2015, and both Croatia and Puerto Rico will compete in OQTs in July. The group will then head to Manila from July 5th to 10th to compete for a berth at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

The final 12-man OQT squad will be announced prior to competition. In Manila, Canada will play in Group A against 31st-ranked Senegal and 8th-ranked Turkey. The Philippines, France and New Zealand will play in Group B. Media accreditation for the OQT is open until June 24, 2016, details here.

Roster:
NAME
Shai Alexander
Joel Anthony
RJ Barrett
Sim Bhullar
Dillon Brooks
Chris Boucher
Jason Calliste
Melvin Ejim
Tyler Ennis
Brady Heslip
Tyson Hinz
Cory Joseph
Corey Johnson
Owen Klassen
Levon Kendall
Naz Mirtou-Long
Dyshawn Pierre
Philip Scrubb
Thomas Scrubb

OZZY
06-11-2016, 10:40 PM
To say that I am extremely disappointed that KP and RS are not listed would be an understatement.

Having followed Kevin's progress for years before he became a Zag, I can't fathom why he is not at least attending the camp.

KW I can understand given he may need to attend summer league either as a pick or FA.

Most of the players listed are not playing at the same level of either player.

And I also understand that many of the NBA players will not have the opportunity again as the Olympics are supposedly looking at changing the rules (I read it somewhere).

:(

I was surprised to see no Zags on the Canadian Senibor Men's National Team preliminary roster that will attend the 2016 national team tryout and training camp, tipping off today in Toronto, ON. Basketball.ca. (http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/2016-mens-national-team-camp-roster)

Roster:
NAME
Shai Alexander
Joel Anthony
RJ Barrett
Sim Bhullar
Dillon Brooks
Chris Boucher
Jason Calliste
Melvin Ejim
Tyler Ennis
Brady Heslip
Tyson Hinz
Cory Joseph
Corey Johnson
Owen Klassen
Levon Kendall
Naz Mirtou-Long
Dyshawn Pierre
Philip Scrubb
Thomas Scrubb

Mojo13
06-13-2016, 01:59 PM
To say that I am extremely disappointed that KP and RS are not listed would be an understatement.

Having followed Kevin's progress for years before he became a Zag, I can't fathom why he is not at least attending the camp.

KW I can understand given he may need to attend summer league either as a pick or FA.

Most of the players listed are not playing at the same level of either player.

And I also understand that many of the NBA players will not have the opportunity again as the Olympics are supposedly looking at changing the rules (I read it somewhere).

:(

It is a sad, sad day for Canadian basketball fans. I will leave the rant for other forums, but here is what I know on the GU boys at least.

KO is hurt - shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago. no option here.
KP is neck deep in negotiations on a lucrative contract with Panathinaikos of the Euroleague. Supposedly he is considered Greek diaspora (even though plays on a Slovenian passport) and their nutty owner wants him on their team badly. Very good money supposedly. Something like $800K net with all expense paid, equivalent to $1.5-2M a year in the NBA.
http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/259702/panathinaikos-waiting-pangos-positive-answer
The issue is he wants to play summer league and try for the NBA. they don't want him to, nor want him playing FIBA, nor want to give him an NBA opt out. He is at a critical point in his career, with big money on the line. I get why his is not with Canada (not happy about it though)
Sacre's is a FA and his NBA career is hanging by the thread. His priority is to make sure he has a job in the fall. I didn't expect any NBA guys without a contract to play (Sacre, Powell, Nichsolson, Bennett) so no surprise here (not like Sacre was gonna get us to the Olympics).
Wiltjer - no one expects a draft eligible guy to play. He needs to focus on workouts for teams and staying healthy. If he happens to get drafted he need to everything that new team asks of him. Not say - I'll get back to you when I am done over here". Drafted or not he needs to be in the Summer Leagues which are a conflict.

There are rumors of other guys joining this list in the next few days. Pangos is a possibility if he gets that contract worked out and can get insurance.

Regardless this list is a gut punch. Lots of guys have legitimate excuses because of contracts - NBA guys and our best European guys. The main ones that have left me speechless and whose only excuse is to "spend the offseason working on their game" is Andrew Wiggins, Trey Lyles and Nik Stuaskas. Even though all those guys really should spend the entire offseason trying to improve their game.

Mojo13
06-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Here is what I wrote on another board trying to find meaning in all these absences:

"Just to be devil's advocate here (trust me I am still livid)...

We have to keep in mind that the vast majority of our top players are fairly young and at critical points in their careers. Everyone except Thompson and CoJo have no contract, a rookie contract or a very short term contract. Their singular goal (I assume) is to maximize their chances for the stability and big payday of a long term contract whether in the NBA or abroad. One can make an argument for almost every guy not to participate just on finances alone.

Powell & Nicholson are obvious examples that we pretty much knew were not going to participate and we don't blame them for it. They are both at turning points in their careers financially. Bennett and Sacre are in a similar, but less enviable situation. Neither has a contract and is fighting to stay in the NBA. One could argue whether Bennett is better off playing for Team Canada or chasing every single date he can to go to NBA FA Camps with any team that will talk to him at any time. The Knicks and Nets had him tryout last week and reports are that he performed well.
Pangos, Hanlan, Scrubb, Birch, Bachynski do not have long term contracts and are fighting to either get a shot at the NBA or are trying to lock up some stability in Europe. Birch has four or five EuroLeague teams literally chasing him and he is also going to NBA FA camps (Clippers last week). Pangos is in negotiations for a solid payday from a EL team and the main negotiating sticking point is the EL team wants to prevent Pangos from NBA summer leagues nor allow him an NBA opt out clause. Bachynski has a shot at the NBA and is obviously going to prioritize summer leagues and FA camps (Jazz last week). Big shout out for Melvin Ejim who could choose to do the same.
Stuaskas's is on his first contract and his NBA career is hanging by a thread. If he doesn't make dramatic improvements to his strength and conditioning this summer, he is not long for the league. Neither of the guys in the draft should be with the SMNT (Murray, Wiltjer) as their full attention before the draft is working out for teams (and not getting hurt) and then after with the team that drafts them (and summer league).

Tyler Ennis is there because he needs game experience more than anything - it probably furthers his career to participate.

Wiggins is a little tougher case, but as we all know he is no superstar yet he still has tremendous potential. He is on his first contract and although he chances for a max contract seem strong, this is a pivotal summer for his development. He is so young and so many improvements can be made to his game and the off season is the time to do it. He may have simply surveyed the landscape and saw that so many of our top players were going to be absent and realized he is better off focusing on working on his game this summer. Thibs and Twolves management likely put pressure on him as well, or maybe he decided from the get go. Those saying he can make money by increasing his exposure in Canada - really the SMNT is going to do that? And do any of you think a domestic endorsement (BioSteel endorsement) really is that valuable? It is peanuts compared to being the poster boy for Nike/Underarmor/Adidas. If he gets himself to the level of the top 5-10 players in the league the endorsement opportunities become global and enormous in value. Can anyone really argue it is better for him personally to focus on an offseason dedicated to training rather than play for the SMNT?

Those pointing to Dirk, Manu, Parker -you don't know the decision making process they went through. Maybe the national teams paid them? Maybe they needed the NT exposure for meaningful domestic/global endorsement deals, maybe they only played when they had their NBA contracts locked up. None of them played every time the NTs called. They all skipped many international events.

If I was in anyone one of our NBA players shoes I would be primarily concerned with maximizing my chances to make money first and then my patriotism and nationalism come into play second (is there anyone here how can honestly say they would act differently?). Really the only guys that have their primary concerns taken care of for the mid/long term are Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson. Joel Anthony of course is almost done with his career. For most of the guys who did show up, the national team is a chance to further their development, increase their exposure and thus improve their chances for more money.

I suspect, for the guys who didn't show this was mostly a financial decision and it is rationally very difficult to criticize them.

But we can all see how emotionally easy it is!"

OZZY
06-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the Summary Mojo.

It would be interesting if the team actually makes the Olympics, and if all of a sudden some of the NBA players become available.....

Mojo13
06-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the Summary Mojo.

It would be interesting if the team actually makes the Olympics, and if all of a sudden some of the NBA players become available.....

Well some certainly would as they do have legitimate short term excuses - Nicholson, Powell, Tristan Thompson in particular. Bennett, Sacre, Birch, Pangos too if they get their contracts sorted out.

The guys I would be majorly peeved about would be Wiggins, Stuaskas, & Lyles as really they have contracts and are just choosing not to participate.

Funny thing is that it is getting worse as a bunch of guys on the crappy list may not be able to play - Dillon Brooks is hurt, maybe Phil Scrubb too. Joel Anthony has a baby due and is questionable. Chris Boucher has summer classes. This is a complete mess.

There is a legit possibility we may have to roster a kid who turned 16 yesterday - RJ Barrett. He is #1 in the Class of 2019 but give me a break!

Mojo13
06-15-2016, 03:05 PM
In a sliver of good news both Anthony Bennett and Khem birch joined the team today.
That will help immensely up front and may be enough that we don't embarrass ourselves and lose every game.

Khem just signed a 2 year contract with Olympiacos today and and decide to not bother with Summer League.

Bennett is apparently in great shape.

Maybe a starting line up of:
Ennis
CoJo
Ejim
Bennett
Birch

Or Pierre at the 3 and Ejim/Birch/Bennett equally manning the 4/5. Small but athletic line up.