PDA

View Full Version : Athletes and tatoos

Zag 77
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
I know that tattoos are the fad of this decade, but boy, those athletes who do it ought to have second thoughts.

Here is a link that says that tatoo removal costs $49 per square inch:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20647003//wid/11915773?GT1=10514

It probably hurts, too.

At least don't put them on the neck like gang bangers.

dim4sum
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
What's wrong with a little mutilation , cranial etching here, a little disfigurement there, and plenty of vulgarity everywhere? People that get them tend to be superficial, narcisstic and generally lowlifes and criminals . Notice I said "tend to be" so don't sue me for libel if you've got a tatoo emblazoned across your back of Popeye getting it on with Olive Oil.

brasszag
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Is there a square-inch limit on propriety?

Does DRAV's cross show him to be one of the "superficial, narcisstic and generally lowlifes and criminals"?

Just curious here. Also, if you could help out with how earrings/noserings fall into this continuum of disfigurement that would be awesome.

Zag 77
10-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I suppose there is a rule against wearing nose rings, etc on the basketball court. How about tongue studs?

Rubbadub
10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Make fun of it all you want. Tatoos have been around almost as long as man. On many individuals, especially certain professional athletes, tats look great.

The idea is to get something you aren't going to need to go out of your way to hide when you're older and possibly more conservative...but if you want something on the back of your neck, lower arm, etc thats fine too.

Laser removal is barely ever used for a reason...that is, the skin doesn't come out looking anything like skin before the tatoo. Might as well just keep it unless it has something like an ex girlfriends name or something and can't be altered into something better.

former1dog
10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I just don't get the lower back tatoo's on young girls.

Can someone explain the appeal? (for the girl, get your mind out of the gutter)

Rubbadub
10-09-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't really know. A subconscious desire to be thought of as "target"? Because, as already said in a different place, that's what those lower back tats are. :)

former1dog
10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't really know. A subconscious desire to be thought of as "target"? Because, as already said in a different place, that's what those lower back tats are. :)

My niece has one. The first thing I thought when I saw it was, "You know what thats going to look like when you're 50, like you had an accident in your pants."

Rubbadub
10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Have you ever seen Wedding Crashers? Isn't there a scene where they see a woman with one and say something like "code 6 at 10 o'clock"?

former1dog
10-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Have you ever seen Wedding Crashers? Isn't there a scene where they see a woman with one and say something like "code 6 at 10 o'clock"?

Saw the movie, don't remember the scene you're referencing, though, sorry.

Good flick, though.

We just watched "Knocked Up" over the week end. Some funny lines in that one.

lothar98zag
10-09-2007, 05:16 PM
http://cbs3.com/health/local_story_276214210.html

Some doctors have speculated that an epidural needle could cause tattoo dye to penetrate causing inflammation or nerve damage.

Club Prez
10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I have come to the point where tatoos are o.k. if they are either not too large or too plentiful. Some people, like Robert Swift, Allen Iverson and Dennis Rodman, have so many that it is just overwhelming to look at. And basketball is a visual sport. I like to see the crisp passing, tight defense, long 3 point shots and of course the rim-rattling jam. However one reason I do not enjoy watching the NBA is just too much ink.

I believe that a tattoo should be special - a permanent marking on one's body that they will carry until their demise. Once you get more than a couple, each loses its significance and just becomes another unnatural eyesore.

TexasZagFan
10-11-2007, 07:59 AM

Down here in Texas, we call them "tramp stamps".

HillBillyZag
10-12-2007, 09:35 AM
When the HillBillyZag was young man, the only tats available were the "jolly Roger" and I luv _ _ _ _ , so my skin is unblemished, except for minor acne and a few liver spots.I do admit to pegged pants, white bucks, letter sweaters, and charcoal suits with pink shirts. I must have been color blind. However I am made to believe that small tatoo's (butterflies, etc..) placed inconspicuisly(sp?) are actually quite sexy. As in all things moderation is the key. And as some great bard once said:"different strokes for different folks".