PDA

View Full Version : new revised ESPN poll for 16-17 season

ZagsGoZags
05-31-2016, 01:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15746623/revised-way-too-early-top-25-some-movement

"Duke still leads the way, but there's movement in top 25"

"19. Saint Mary's Gaels
All five starters from Saint Mary's universally unforeseen 29-win season (which comprised a WCC title and a regular-season sweep of Gonzaga, the program's first since 1995) will take the court once more in November. There's no reason to think Dane Pineau & Co., who finished with the nation's third-highest effective field goal percentage, will get any less awesome at offense in the offseason."

at least this poll has us higher than St. Mary's
at #16

BYU, who I think will end the season higher ranked than St. Mary's is not in their top 33.

bartruff1
05-31-2016, 02:01 PM
BYU...NIT.......

gonzagafan62
05-31-2016, 05:47 PM
BYU...NIT.......

Nah. We will see though. I wanna be right but it's no slam dunk either.

DixieZag
05-31-2016, 06:47 PM
This is going to be the real test to take a measure of Randy Bennett as a coach.

1. He's got everyone back from a very good team.

2. He's just gotten spanked (again) for not putting together a schedule worthy of the tournament despite 29 wins.

3. He's in the top 20 going into the season.

Will this be the season that he puts together a schedule his players have earned and deserved? Will this be the season that he puts aside the excuse that he can't get a home and home or whatever and take his team on the road to the ACC, Big 12, whatever, and either beat some people or come close enough that it's respected?

I sure hope he does. We'll see. If he doesn't do it this year, he never will, to his players' detriment.

kyle dixon
05-31-2016, 07:07 PM
I doubt he will schedule anyone. This song has played too many times. Great players, well executing team. A return game to Stanford will be the big game on the schedule. I still think they will be a tough team that will be the Zags thorn in their side. Randy can coach...

bartruff1
05-31-2016, 07:21 PM
Gaels ....NCAA

Bogozags
06-01-2016, 02:30 AM
Gaels ....NCAA

I think this could be a year we field three solid teams that are seeded in the NCAA Tournament "IF" SMC schedules appropriately! If not then they will just have to rely on possible wins against us and BYU, which will limit their opportunities. IMO SMC is a very good team with good players but don't believe they have one player that could start on our team.

basketballzag
06-01-2016, 03:51 AM
I think this could be a year we field three solid teams that are seeded in the NCAA Tournament "IF" SMC schedules appropriately! If not then they will just have to rely on possible wins against us and BYU, which will limit their opportunities. IMO SMC is a very good team with good players but don't believe they have one player that could start on our team.

Don't discount St Mary's they have some really good players on that team including at least one that would start for the Zags.

Now with that said Jordan Mathews decision to attend Gonzaga should move GU up into the Top 5-8 teams in the country this year.

bigblahla
06-01-2016, 04:42 AM

IMO...Narr would start on every TEAM in the WCC including the Zags....

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
06-01-2016, 04:50 AM
Don't discount St Mary's they have some really good players on that team including at least one that would start for the Zags.

Now with that said Jordan Mathews decision to attend Gonzaga should move GU up into the Top 5-8 teams in the country this year.

Bbeez, thats a quantum leap. You sure? Is he that key?

Goshzagit
06-01-2016, 06:41 AM
I firmly believe the WCC has 3 Top-25 teams next season.

After that, it drops considerably...

Coach Crazy
06-01-2016, 07:36 AM

With a healthy Karnowski (yes, I know he won't be 100% of his old self) and the addition of Jordan Mathews? I can see Top 10. Top 5 may be a bit of a stretch, but time would tell on that one.

I think St. Mary's is a Top 25 team if they scheduled weak, again.

thespywhozaggedme
06-01-2016, 10:09 AM

Go!! Zags!!!

He's not starting over Perk or NWG.

Bogozags
06-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Go!! Zags!!!

Don't think I can agree with you about Narr...he is great in their system but don't think he would be as good as Perk or NWG or Melson for that fact...I believe Perk and Melson are quicker and better athletes...can't speak for NWG as I have not seen him play so the jury is still out on him. I believe Narr is an excellent basketball player and excels in SMC's system. All this is speculative...I wonder how Perk would fare in SMC's system...

gonzagafan62
06-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

No way. Not over Perk or NWG. He'd be nice to have on our team but definitely not over those two

scrooner
06-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Randy keeps 'em fresh by feeding them cupcakes.

U Zig, I Zag
06-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Randy keeps 'em fresh by feeding them cupcakes.

That always just makes me sleepy. :(

Are Randy's gluten free? I know they are homemade, since they don't leave campus.

basketballzag
06-01-2016, 03:24 PM

He is going to be an absolute shocker this year in what he will do. The Zags now have an incredible backcourt.

jazzdelmar
06-01-2016, 05:00 PM
He is going to be an absolute shocker this year in what he will do. The Zags now have an incredible backcourt.

Ok, BBZ, you are officially on the clock.

bartruff1
06-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Skill is one thing...but team chemistry and basketball IQ (the Few Method) are yet to be demonstrated...fingers crossed.