PDA

View Full Version : An argument for reinstating Josh before the WCC Tourney

FuManShoes
02-17-2007, 11:02 AM
While I hope the Zags can win today without Josh and get that much closer to securing an at-large bid, it will be difficult. The Zags wouldn't even be in position to get an at-large without Josh's contributions in the marquee wins against UNC, UW, Stanford, Texas, etc. Josh has been one of the guys that gave a down-year team a chance to win night in and night out. He was becoming more consistent, was becoming a beast on the boards, he took charges. In short, he was a team player, on the court anyway. And then he screwed up big-time, the consequences of which are being felt by him, his team, his school and even his city. Becoming an instant pariah is a heavy price to pay. It's an even greater price to pay when it contributes to your team losing a 50 win streak and has the ###ential to completely derail their season. I think it's too high a price to pay for this particular transgression. What's more, I think the most meaningful way for Josh to atone for his mistake is to get back on the court and help his team win. He can make all the community service appearances in the world, but they won't make up for how he let his teammates down. (I still think he should have to make such appearences to atone for the embarassment he's caused the university and community.) Playing ball is Josh's gift, and at this point I think it's the only apology that matters to his teammates.

cielmike
02-17-2007, 11:32 AM
...I think the most meaningful way for Josh to atone for his mistake is to get back on the court and help his team win. He can make all the community service appearances in the world, but they won't make up for how he let his teammates down. (I still think he should have to make such appearences to atone for the embarassment he's caused the university and community.)

Let me see, team rule(s) violated unabashedly with serious, feloneous consequences. To atone, Josh should get b-ball court time and prove he can carry the team to victory? I think this sends the wrong message to:

His teammates: as it says rules are NOT rules, and breaking important rules does not garner important punishment.
Coaches and program: as it says GU mens hoops is a standard for all to emulate except when your most talented, athletic player screws up.
University: as it says, very bad behavior is lightly punished if you're a gifted athelete; but all you other menial students better watch out.
Community and Alumni and friends of GU: as it tarnishes the principles I think GU tries to uphold.

Josh did not make a mistake. He apparently made a decision to pursue very bad, ###entially criminal behavior for his own benefit inspite of the risks involved. His lack of respect for his teammates, coaches, university, community, alumni, friends, etc. is appalling. How could anyone who seriously foresees his future in basketball be out cavorting late into the night before one of the most important games of the season? I don't care what other players do or have done, this is about Josh and GU basketball. I only hope Josh is afforded the opportunity to access the help he needs to overcome this deviant behavior. Fortunately for him, the NBA will likely turn its head and ignore such behavior. After the NBA, however, he will find that most employers do not.

Bad behavior justifies serious punishment. I don't think indefinite suspension is serious enough. When suitable punishment is meted out, then I'm all for talking about restitution of b-ball priveliges. Just the same, hate the sin but love the sinner.

Have a nice day,
Mike

FuManShoes
02-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I understand my argument seems to underplay what has happened here, and may be seen as putting winning ahead of Josh's and the universty's interests. I guess my point is that perhaps what will benefit Josh and the program the most is getting him back out there before teh season's done, when he has a chance to use his god-given talent to atone for his bad decision.

So a few caveats:

-- If Josh is held out until the tourney, he would have served a 6-game suspension. That's not a slap on the wrist.

-- He shouldn't be reinstated this season if there's reason to believe he's a habitual drug user/abuser. There are a lot of facts we don't know, so maybe my argument is moot.

-- He shouldn't be let back on the team this year without his teammates' approval.

I guess my big point is that 1) after a couple weeks to digest this, I've come to believe it's not right to throw Josh under the bus and 2) overly punitive sanctions won't help Josh or the university.

thickman1
02-17-2007, 05:52 PM
-- He shouldn't be let back on the team this year without his teammates' approval.

I think this is the key. I do believe the team still votes on whether they want a player to join the team (when offering a scholarship) so I think the same thing should play out here. Josh has to answer to all those guys in the locker room. Man up and face the music - if they want him back - then let him back. Assuming all of the other aspects of this debacle have been cleared up.

LongIslandZagFan
02-17-2007, 07:24 PM
They're suspended indefinitely because they violated the internal code of our program's essence, which is, 'What in the heck were you doing out late at night in the wrong place at the wrong time the night before a game?'" Few said. "And I still haven't moved past that."

Nuff said... his suspension from the team hasn't even begun to approach the illicit part.

Next season, maybe. But I would sacrifice everything on principle and not have him play the remainder of the season. JHMO

ZaggyStardust
02-17-2007, 07:53 PM
I personally don't believe he should ever wear a Zag uni again. Sorry - and it's really not just about the drugs. I, like Coach Few am still miffed about his lack of commitment to the team by being out at midnight the night before a very big game. No character IMHO....

But if the team wants him back then so be it. Should be their decision though.