PDA

View Full Version : biggest impact player 16-17

BULLDOG#1
05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
With all the talent coming together I'm wondering who folks think will have the biggest impact:

- Goss -- vet leader with a year of studying Few's system
- JWIII -- great rebounder with clear path to start with Sabonis gone
- Collins -- skilled enough to play alongside Karno...
- Karno -- coming off injury possibly to play way into NBA.
- Melson -- came on strong to end this season, could he lead team in scoring?
- Norvell -- mad bomber ready for D1?
- Perkins -- has shown great improvement, but what's the ceiling?
- Jones -- nobody talking about him, could he be the next key piece?
- Tillie -- Skilled euro but injury prone and untested
- Alberts -- showed signs last year, can he put together consistency?
- Hachimura -- great upside, but can he overcome social challenges?
- Larson -- can he make a splash or is he a RS?
- Edwards -- can he challenge Karno and Collins for minutes?

I honestly couldn't even guess who will make the biggest impact. NWG and JWIII look to be solid as starters but it's really unknown how they'll adapt to the system. Collins is probably a future NBA guy and I expect him to make some immediate impact... beyond him, is there a sleeper in the incoming freshman class? Maybe Karno will be limited because of the surgery, but maybe he'll be better than ever now that the problem is fixed... Quietly, Melson made huge improvements last year (on both sides of the ball) and he could be the breakout guy.

bartruff1
05-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Goss

LongIslandZagFan
05-25-2016, 11:48 AM
Here is my guess

Goss... a year off for a PG watching and analyzing slows the game down. Ask Dan Dickau. Freeing up Perkins to play the 2

As for the others:

JWIII... Will pick up some of the Sabonis/Wiltjer slack
Collins... Will pick up the rest of the Sabonis/Wiltjer slack and can spell Karno
Karno... If he is 100%... could compete with Goss for biggest impact.
Melson... Think we'll see solid minutes out of him
Norvell... think he'll get some solid minutes as a frosh
Perkins... splitting time at PG/SG will up his scoring.
Jones... not sure what to expect
Tillie... going to guess RS
Alberts... might have trouble getting minutes.
Hachimura... Not sure what to make of this kid yet. Going to take a wait and see... but should get some minutes
Larson... going to guess RS
Edwards... expect him to make the most of his minutes.

gonzagafan62
05-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Karnowski. That's the biggest gain of the offseason. He will play, and he's going to play damn good too. I believe technology has come a long way even in just the last 10 years to hel fix up back injuries. I'm sure he's going to be fine.

And he's going to have a masterful season.

The next guy in intrigued about is Goss

Coach Crazy
05-25-2016, 11:49 AM
With all the talent coming together I'm wondering who folks think will have the biggest impact:

- Goss -- vet leader with a year of studying Few's system At this point, needs to be a leader both running the system and in scoring.
- JWIII -- great rebounder with clear path to start with Sabonis gone He's part of the reason why Sabonis was who he was, this season. Will block shots, defend, and rebound well...at the very, very least
- Collins -- skilled enough to play alongside Karno... Best recruit to ever come to Gonzaga. Other galaxies are the limit for this kid
- Karno -- coming off injury possibly to play way into NBA. If healthy, could play himself into a 2nd round pick. Will buoy up the defense.
- Melson -- came on strong to end this season, could he lead team in scoring? Needs to embrace the role that KD did, last season.
- Norvell -- mad bomber ready for D1? Indeed
- Perkins -- has shown great improvement, but what's the ceiling? Anywhere between Jeremy Pargo and Kevin Pangos works for me.
- Jones -- nobody talking about him, could he be the next key piece? Mike Hart-role with more athleticism and scoring, potentially?
- Tillie -- Skilled euro but injury prone and untested No clue, wild card at this point
- Alberts -- showed signs last year, can he put together consistency? Don't see him being consistent enough
- Hachimura -- great upside, but can he overcome social challenges? If "social challenges" are all we are really worried about, this kid has the potential to be an NBA pick by year 3 or 4.
- Larson -- can he make a splash or is he a RS? Haven't seen any recent tape. I would be wildly guessing
- Edwards -- can he challenge Karno and Collins for minutes? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I honestly couldn't even guess who will make the biggest impact. NWG and JWIII look to be solid as starters but it's really unknown how they'll adapt to the system. Collins is probably a future NBA guy and I expect him to make some immediate impact... beyond him, is there a sleeper in the incoming freshman class? Maybe Karno will be limited because of the surgery, but maybe he'll be better than ever now that the problem is fixed... Quietly, Melson made huge improvements last year (on both sides of the ball) and he could be the breakout guy.

See bolded...

webspinnre
05-25-2016, 11:57 AM
I could definitely see Zach ending up starting over Karno, at least as he works himself back into game shape.

jazzdelmar
05-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Collins, with a bullet. Let's hope Karno's return doesn't take any precious minutes away from him, though. Few does over favor upperclassmen, often irrespective of relative talent.

thespywhozaggedme
05-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Perk; kids got swagger in spades.

cjm720
05-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Great thread with a lot of different answers to follow.

I'm going with Collins....best recruit ever and we lose two bigs.

Second choice is Perkins...I think he will improve mightily every year. If Goss is healthy, another ball handler will limit some of the pressures as the primary point.

Mr Vulture
05-25-2016, 12:45 PM
I think Perkins makes the biggest jump out of all the players on the team.

dan71w
05-25-2016, 01:20 PM
I would say Karno, and Collins, we tend to play inside out ball exclusively, so it stands to reason they will get the touches. Though I really want to see a 3 point shooter that terrifies other teams like KP, and GB did.

doctorzag
05-25-2016, 03:26 PM
I could definitely see Zach ending up starting over Karno, at least as he works himself back into game shape.

Agree. Collins will be an impact player from day 1

jazzdelmar
05-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Agree. Collins will be an impact player from day 1

Bingo. Collins is better than Karno, right now.

gonzagafan62
05-25-2016, 03:44 PM

No way, Karnowski Is starting from day one and will till the end. It's just like when people asked if Sabonis should start over Karnowski .... No. Karnowski didn't come back to come off the bench. Collins has to earn his spot. Karnowski will be fine

gonzagafan62
05-25-2016, 03:45 PM

Well hi captain obvious ;) Karnowski may not be able to do drills at this moment. Lol. Of course we'd all have Collins in right this second.

jazzdelmar
05-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Well hi captain obvious ;) Karnowski may not be able to do drills at this moment. Lol. Of course we'd all have Collins in right this second.

Now and in the future. Scary part is you're right.

MDABE80
05-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Collins rises above the rest. I have no doubt. Josh, thankfully, will be relieved of his PG duties. WHen this happens, I think Josh can score 15 ppg or more. He's got the talent to be a superior 2 and a great part time PG. If we have a defensive demon , Silas gets the nod but a weak one. We need some defensive mind guy who can and will play lockdown ball. Those types are unsung heros.

Mr Vulture
05-25-2016, 04:58 PM
According to some on here, Collins is better than several All Star NBA guys right now. He's going to be a good player for us but let's temper the expectations a bit. He's not going to come in and be a 20 and 10 guy. I'm not sure he will be a 15 and 8 guy as a freshman but I'm sure he will be as he develops.

By the way, I'd bet anything that Perkins is the primary PG which is 100% his natural position.

gonzagafan62
05-25-2016, 05:07 PM
Now and in the future. Scary part is you're right.

I have no doubt Colin's will be great for us one day but I'm a big believer that Karnowski is the man and will be the man this season.

May 25, 2016

GoZags
05-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Fortunately basketball is a TEAM game, and any one of 7 or 8 guys "could" have the biggest impact next season. That being said, next season's TEAM has a chance to equal or exceed Gonzaga's best ever. If it ends up being an Elite Eight or Final Four year .... It's my belief that it'll come because Shem Nasty carried the guys there on his surgically repaired back.

seacatfan
05-25-2016, 05:51 PM
2 things: 1) Karnowski continues to be undervalued and underappreciated by many on this board and
2) His name is Williams-Goss, not Goss. This is bugging the crap out of me already and the season hasn't even started yet. 3 times in this thread alone.

zag67
05-25-2016, 06:05 PM
I am going to say Karnowski. We might not see it all on the court, but his leadership is going to be a super plus. His passing the baton to Collins, where he will work him in practice is only going to make the team better.I also think that William-Goss will be super with his work with the other guards.

GrizZAG
05-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Karno is a brick wall on D and a great passer IMO. He also takes it right to the hoop when he gets the pass. He is indeed undervalued by too many. Had he and Bonus had a whole season together this past year we may have made the promise land.

MDABE80
05-25-2016, 06:53 PM
2 things: 1) Karnowski continues to be undervalued and underappreciated by many on this board and
2) His name is Williams-Goss, not Goss. This is bugging the crap out of me already and the season hasn't even started yet. 3 times in this thread alone.

Sea expect more of the "Goss" It's no disrespect. Just the short form. Easier to type just as long as people know who Goss is.
All this depends on how Few puts the team together. COllins is ultra talented. Karno just plays a different game. He's got his value .there is no doubt. BUT if Few wants an ultra athletic kid in the middle, Collins will be that kid. I suppose we'll need to see how the SUmmer and Autumn plays out. Christ for all we know, Zack Norvell will be the star. Just can't tell right now.

seacatfan
05-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Sea expect more of the "Goss" It's no disrespect. Just the short form. Easier to type just as long as people know who Goss is.
All this depends on how Few puts the team together. COllins is ultra talented. Karno just plays a different game. He's got his value .there is no doubt. BUT if Few wants an ultra athletic kid in the middle, Collins will be that kid. I suppose we'll need to see how the SUmmer and Autumn plays out. Christ for all we know, Zack Norvell will be the star. Just can't tell right now.

I got ya Abe. NWG works for shorthand as well. It's just with hyphenated last names, if someone else voluntary chooses to get rid of half of it when referring to that person, it does seem a bit disrespectful to me.

Hoopaholic
05-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Karno is a brick wall on D and a great passer IMO. He also takes it right to the hoop when he gets the pass. He is indeed undervalued by too many. Had he and Bonus had a whole season together this past year we may have made the promise land.

Good call.... also creates double down decisions opening up outside looks and slashing options for our wings and guards who this year will be well rounded to take advantage of this option

defensively he can keep the paint clean of garbage and drivers, allowing our defenders to push out even further and gamble at times

hooter73
05-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Not even a question. Biggest impact player next year? Przemek Karnowski. Hes not going to lead in scoring or rebounds, but he is the true most valuable player because of his effect on the entire game.

ZagsGoZags
05-25-2016, 10:38 PM
Bulldog 1 said: " Melson -- came on strong to end this season, could he lead team in scoring?"
I think if Melson were to lead the team in scoring next year if would probably be because he was taking 20-30 shot attempts a game, which handicaps the team too much ... just my opinion

Zagger
05-26-2016, 02:46 AM
Karnowski :)
Leadership, heart, soul, gumption, experience, skills, inspiration ...... Zags are best when they're a band of brothers. I'd venture that the bunch of Zags this coming season have the mix to be a VERY special group who are keen on being Zags. Mt K's return, IMHO, will be the cement to the conglomerate making the Zags a rock solid team/force.
Go Zags!

kitzbuel
05-26-2016, 06:46 AM
Leadership, heart, soul, gumption, experience, skills, inspiration ...... Zags are best when they're a band of brothers. I'd venture that the bunch of Zags this coming season have the mix to be a VERY special group who are keen on being Zags. Mt K's return, IMHO, will be the cement to the conglomerate making the Zags a rock solid team/force.
Go Zags!

Few really loves having a 'coach on the court' and Karno was going to be that guy last season. If he provides that same role this season, he will have a lot of playing time. Few places a lot of value in players who understand and buy into his system. It takes time. It took Perkins the better part of a season to fully buy into it and he was starting to understand it at the end of the season. Karno really understands it and directs it when he is on the floor. Few will play him.

Bogozags
05-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Few really loves having a 'coach on the court' and Karno was going to be that guy last season. If he provides that same role this season, he will have a lot of playing time. Few places a lot of value in players who understand and buy into his system. It takes time. It took Perkins the better part of a season to fully buy into it and he was starting to understand it at the end of the season. Karno really understands it and directs it when he is on the floor. Few will play him.

Kitz I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one...if he is healthy and stays out of foul trouble, then he will play the majority of minutes at the 5 spot...he is experienced more than any other player within Coach's system and will be the "Senior" leader on the court where the offence begins...

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-26-2016, 08:12 AM
He won't be the leading scorer or anything, but I'm going to optimistically select Rui as the most impactful player of the year. Not the best player, but the player of the most need.

Can he play the 3 tho? Yes.

Byron Wesley was a great pickup that took us over the top. Kyle Dranginis proved to be a rock solid starter. Hopefully Rui is next in line at a position of need to step up.

He's my pick for Tommy's gem of the year, and I don't think we even realize yet just how thankful we'll be that he was able to become eligible for the upcoming season.

MontanaCoyote
05-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Karnowski. That's the biggest gain of the offseason. He will play, and he's going to play damn good too. I believe technology has come a long way even in just the last 10 years to hel fix up back injuries. I'm sure he's going to be fine.

And he's going to have a masterful season.

The next guy in intrigued about is Goss

Agreed! All our newer Zag's will orbit, spin and evolve around their "center" of gravity. He will make them all better, pull them together and keep them together, both with his play and his leadership.

MontanaCoyote
05-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Go Zags!

Yessssssssssssssssss!!

Gonzdb8
05-26-2016, 09:06 AM
i'll add to the chorus. he will anchor our defense and very few teams have a player of his game changing caliber. its going to be a long off season waiting for this version of the zags to take the floor but it will be well worth the wait. go zags!

CDC84
05-26-2016, 10:10 AM
NWG. The combination of NWG and Perkins (who will be allowed to play off the ball more) is going to be lethal.

cjm720
05-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Does anyone have a sense of NWG will ever be back to normal? The ankle injury is a real concern of mine.

MDABE80
05-26-2016, 11:55 AM
I thought he was normal now. Next month the camps begin. I'll get over to see how he's doing.

GoZags
05-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Does anyone have a sense of NWG will ever be back to normal? The ankle injury is a real concern of mine.

His problem has been fixed and he is back to 100 percent. He hasn't played in a real game in the past 18 months but that isn't a concern.

Mr Vulture
05-26-2016, 02:06 PM
I still don't buy that Perkins will be playing off the ball with NWG running the point...at least not the large majority of the time. Maybe I'm off base here but I don't think I am...

NWG. The combination of NWG and Perkins (who will be allowed to play off the ball more) is going to be lethal.

sittingon50
05-26-2016, 02:48 PM
I still don't buy that Perkins will be playing off the ball with NWG running the point...at least not the large majority of the time. Maybe I'm off base here but I don't think I am...

I'm sure they will be interchangeable vulture, but based on their most recent body of work it would seem that Perkins is the better shooter.

Perhaps apples & oranges based on the competition, however.

Zagdawg
05-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Most recent stats have NWG at 44% shooting percentage and Perkins at 43%.

I really like NWG assists at 5.9 per game including a 12 and 11 assist game. Perkins did avg 4.1 assists with a 9 assist game.

Perkins accounted for 29% of our assists while NWG accounted for 43% of Husky assisted baskets.

The Zags were a more accurate shooting team at 49% while the huskies shot 44%-- which equates to about 1 more assist per game if they switched shooting percentages.

They will make a solid tandem and should complement each other nicely.

cjm720
05-26-2016, 04:09 PM
His problem has been fixed and he is back to 100 percent. He hasn't played in a real game in the past 18 months but that isn't a concern.

Sweet!! He's going to bring a level of play and leadership that will be nice. I was behind the bench at the UCLA loss and he was constantly talking, motivating the guys (in particular, Melson). He's been there and done that....now let's get him in the tourney. Can't wait for the NWG and Perk show to begin!

cjm720
05-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Likely interchangeable, who has the ball at the end of the game will be decided in practice and in games, but given his experience I'd go with NWG.

zagamatic
05-26-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm going to go with a slightly different take on this subject and say that whoever can take over the duties at the 3 spot (which seems to be up in the air right now). IMO, we're solid at all the other positions, so if we can find consistency at 3,that will be the biggest impact. Conversely, if there's one guy who's good on defense but can't score or another that's vice versa, that can have just as big of an impact but in a negative way.