PDA

View Full Version : RIP Fr. Frank Costello

Angelo Roncalli
05-23-2016, 11:27 AM

SUBJ: Thoughts & Prayers

DATE: May 23, 2016

It is with sadness that I share with you that one of Gonzaga University’s most beloved Jesuits, Father Frank B. Costello, S.J., died early this morning at the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California. Fr. Costello, who was born on June 12, 1921, was 94 years old.

A Spokane native, he entered the Society of Jesus in 1939 in Sheridan, Oregon, and was ordained in 1952, in Spokane. Fr. Costello earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Gonzaga University, a second master’s degree from Fordham University, and his doctorate from Georgetown University. He taught briefly at Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma and at Gonzaga University before joining the Seattle University faculty in 1959. He became head of the Political Science department there, was named Academic Vice President in 1960, and later Executive Vice President in 1966.

Fr. Costello returned to Gonzaga in 1970, when he joined the faculty of the Political Science department; he also served as department chair for many years. While at Gonzaga, he served as Acting Vice President and was Rector of the Jesuit community both at Gonzaga University and Gonzaga Preparatory School. When he retired from teaching in 1990, then-President Bernard J. Coughlin, S.J., bestowed upon Fr. Costello the title Professor Emeritus. In that same year he was appointed Vice President of the University, with duties that included advising faculty and students in the Law School and also helping to raise funds for that academic division.

Over the years, Fr. Costello was involved in several peace advocacy organizations, including The Catholic Association of International Peace and the World Without War Council. He remained active in the life of the University right up until his move to Los Gatos.

Funeral arrangements are pending and we will share this information when it becomes available. Please keep Fr. Costello, his family, and his Jesuit brothers in your thoughts and prayers.

“Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition,
and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.” -Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

RenoZag
05-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Rest in Peace, Father Frank. Wonderful influence on me during and after my time at Gonzaga. Feel fortunate to have known him.

LongIslandZagFan
05-23-2016, 11:43 AM
RIP... Fr. Frank.

webspinnre
05-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him.

Fr. Costello was my spiritual director while I was in the seminary, a good and holy man.

RenoZag
05-24-2016, 08:05 PM
TO: All Oregon Province Jesuits and Friends

REST IN PEACE

The usual suffrages of the Society are to be offered for:

FR. FRANK B. COSTELLO, S.J.
Fr. Costello died Monday, May 23, 2016, in Los Gatos, California. He was born June 12, 1921 and entered the Society on August 14, 1939. He was ordained June 21, 1952 and took final vows on August 15, 1956.

SERVICES

VIGIL: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 7:00 pm, Jesuit House Chapel, Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA

FUNERAL MASS: Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 10:30 am, St. Aloysius Church, Spokane, WA

BURIAL: Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 2:00 pm, Mt. St. Michaels Cemetery, Spokane, WA

Notes of condolence may be sent to the family in care of Fr. Costello’s niece, Mary Petrich Manning, c/o Regis Community, 1107 N. Astor, Spokane, WA 99202; or to his grand-nephew, Perry Petrich, S.J., Nogales Jesuit Community, 780 N Coronado Hts., Nogales, AZ 85621.

REST IN PEACE