PDA

View Full Version : New Early Top 25 from NBC Sports

Zags_Fanatic
05-17-2016, 10:31 AM
NBC just released a new projection for next season ranking the Zags #12(!). I thought Sabonis leaving would drop GU out of Top 25 consideration considering how many starters are gone and how many question marks there are. I love the Zags but 12 is pretty unrealistic at this point.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/the-nbc-sports-2016-17-way-too-early-preseason-top-25/

Zagceo
05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Hall of fame game at Staples has #9 Arizona #12 Zags #16 USC not bad.

23dpg
05-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Don't forget St. Mary's at number 25.

Mr Vulture
05-17-2016, 11:12 AM
I think anywhere from 10 to 25 is a fair ranking to be honest. Yes, we lost Wiltjer and Sabonis but are gaining a lot as well.

MDABE80
05-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Well they're betting on the come that our new guys will be great. I'm glad to see it coming on the heels of our discussion yesterday.
When the returnees listed include Josh , Shem and Melson, it's an indicator of how much the NBC crew believes in our newbies..
That said, I hope the rest of the scribes see it like NBC does. I doubt they will but after the "top 10 mid majors list" from yesterday went totally "GAGA" over SMC, it's good to know somebody with insight understands what we have waiting in the wings.

I just hope the transfers and newbies deliver. Something tells me they will. It's a new team Few and staff has to put together. I do think there are 2 potential AA's on this upcoming squad. (Goss, Collins). Shem comes back and tears the place up, he could be a 3rd. One thing's clear, I won't be scared to turn on the TV like last season when I never knew how good or bad things would be on any given night. Thanks GOD Emac stepped up and the bigs got bigger ( and they really did with Shem out).

Coach Crazy and others love Josh Perkins.... I'd like their thoughts on how much Josh will add in his 2nd year. I still think he's got a long way to go but also has big upside.

Coach Crazy
05-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Well they're betting on the come that our new guys will be great. I'm glad to see it coming on the heels of our discussion yesterday.
When the returnees listed include Josh , Shem and Melson, it's an indicator of how much the NBC crew believes in our newbies..
That said, I hope the rest of the scribes see it like NBC does. I doubt they will but after the "top 10 mid majors list" from yesterday went totally "GAGA" over SMC, it's good to know somebody with insight understands what we have waiting in the wings.

I just hope the transfers and newbies deliver. Something tells me they will. It's a new team Few and staff has to put together. I do think there are 2 potential AA's on this upcoming squad. (Goss, Collins). Shem comes back and tears the place up, he could be a 3rd. One thing's clear, I won't be scared to turn on the TV like last season when I never knew how good or bad things would be on any given night. Thanks GOD Emac stepped up and the bigs got bigger ( and they really did with Shem out).

Coach Crazy and others love Josh Perkins.... I'd like their thoughts on how much Josh will add in his 2nd year. I still think he's got a long way to go but also has big upside.

I don't know. He's had an interesting stay at Gonzaga, thus far. Getting ninja kicked in the face in a year that could have brought a lot of progress, and then having to pretty much become something (to some degree) he wasn't is a roller coaster. What I want to see is 40-45% shooting (especially being off the ball), and more dynamic passing...considering he is not likely to be the primary ball handler. But you're also talking about a team with players like Collins, Shem, NWG, and Norvell that can all pass the rock. So, with that much ability to distribute, from so many sources, I am not quite sure how everything will look.

Would also like to see his on-ball defense improve a few points from a defensive rating, perspective. He was better out of conference, than in. Which is a bit puzzling.

strikenowhere
05-17-2016, 12:02 PM
I don't know. He's had an interesting stay at Gonzaga, thus far. Getting ninja kicked in the face in a year that could have brought a lot of progress, and then having to pretty much become something (to some degree) he wasn't is a roller coaster. What I want to see is 40-45% shooting (especially being off the ball), and more dynamic passing...considering he is not likely to be the primary ball handler. But you're also talking about a team with players like Collins, Shem, NWG, and Norvell that can all pass the rock. So, with that much ability to distribute, from so many sources, I am not quite sure how everything will look.

Would also like to see his on-ball defense improve a few points from a defensive rating, perspective. He was better out of conference, than in. Which is a bit puzzling.

Why would he not be considered the primary ball-handler? He was a pass-first guard coming out of HS and that was one of his main recruiting points. If anything, NWG should be slotted into that position as he much more of a slasher/scorer.

MontanaCoyote
05-17-2016, 12:59 PM
I think a poster on an earlier thread made a comment something to the effect that no two players are going to replace
Wiltjer and Sabonis. If he's correct (and although a rookie poster I'm pretty sure he is) just what will it take to replace them? Three guys? Four? And how? Just trolling for our experts thoughts!

gonzagafan62
05-17-2016, 04:25 PM
As long as we are higher than SMC, all is good. Go zags

cggonzaga
05-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Why would he not be considered the primary ball-handler? He was a pass-first guard coming out of HS and that was one of his main recruiting points. If anything, NWG should be slotted into that position as he much more of a slasher/scorer.

I agree completely Strike. I don't get all the sentiment that Perkins won't be the pg next season. At worst him and Goss share duties. Goss doesn't need to play pg in college in order to be a pg in the NBA. Most pg's in the NBA today are shooting guards playing the point.