PDA

View Full Version : Hachimura has arrived at Gonzaga

LeightonZag
04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=271eaB5DHwo

I figured with the news of Sabonis' departure I would do my best to bring a little extra positivity to the board. With all of the well deserved fanfare between Collins, Norvell, and Tillie, not to mention JWIII and NWG, I feel as though Rui has not quite received the love he deserves. While it still remains to be seen when we will see the kid on campus, I for one could not be more excited for when that time comes. I decided to break down this recent film (15+ minutes of quality highlights) and lend some insight on what type of player I think he will be.

The first thing that noticeably jumps out me on this tape is the balance that Rui plays with. He is a very based and grounded player offensively. He does not play above the rim yet he possesses the ability to do so. When he finishes, particularly with contact, he does a phenomenal job with his body positioning, shielding out would be shot blockers and keeping the ball up high. Remind you of anyone? It's a skill that is developed with much more prevalence overseas than in the states. One thing that I LOVE is his preference to finish using the glass. Again, a skill you see more in European/overseas play.

I mentioned his great balance but it doesn't end in the paint. The first few minutes of the highlight is U-17 FIBA game featuring Japan vs the US. While Japan was embarrassingly over-matched, Rui impressed scouts with his work against the Americans. In this game he showcased a potentially lethal midrange and pull up game. Again, keep in mind the balance he has on his jump shot, even when fading or falling away. His hips are always underneath him and his shoulders are square. He has a very easily repeatable jump shot, which scouts love to look for as it is the easiest to improve and extend range. There is very little wasted motion, no jerky movements, and he possesses a relatively quick release. Check out his jumper at :15, :55, 1:52, 1:58, 2:08, 4:57, 6:33, 6:58, 7:20, 7:30, 7:38, and 15:02. While I don't know his shooting percentages, what is clear is that there is LOTS of potential to work with and get better. He already has great form and has shown the ability to knock down long range shots, with that ability hopefully only getting better in college. Another interesting takeaway I got from this video is how his jumpers were going in. Never rattling around or hitting front or back iron. They were dead center swishes, nearly every time. I once had a high profile D1 coach tell me that this was one thing they looked for when scouting shooters as it spoke to their ability to repeat their form. It also typically means the shooter has perfect or near perfect trajectory on his or her shot.

What I was perhaps most impressed with from this film was Rui's footwork, both in the paint and on the perimeter. He has very polished footwork for such a young kid. You'll see a good mixture of dropsteps, eurosteps, and size up dribbles in this film. He is never in a hurry and always has his feet under him. He has excellent ability to iso dribble into a jumper. The footwork that most impressed me was his ability to work out of triple threat. He showcased this most against the U.S in the FIBA game and looked really good doing so. Check out his move at around :40 seconds in. He sizes up a bigger, slower defender in triple threat, backs him off with a jab step, takes two dribble in, then gives a pump fake and hits a pretty slightly fading jumper. Again, pay key attention to his balance even while fading. Another example at 1:20. A few breakdown dribbles and then he rises for a quick J over a slower defender. Probably the most impressive highlight for me in the film's entirety was his play made at 1:35. Again, we see him in an aggressive triple threat stance. He uses a series of ball fakes and jab steps to get space from his defender. He then goes right, spins back and hits a 1 footed fadeaway jumper from 18 feet a la Dirk/Durant. Apologies for the broken record-ness but pay attention to his footwork on this play. It's something special. A few plays later at 1:58 he showcases DEEP range while stepping into a 3.

His footwork and skills in the paint appear to be equally impressive. At 6:12 he plays great defense, blocks a shot, then runs the floor and finishes with an impressive ground covering euro step at the other end (with a left handed finish!). This was Greek Freak-esque. He is very comfortable in the paint and is comfortable turning over either shoulder. We will definitely see him posting up some smaller guards in the future and exploiting match-problems. Check out his paint footwork and finishes at 7:42, 8:09, 9:00, 9:07, 9:15, 9:35, 10:02, 10:38, 11:15 (this was has shades of Wiltjer in it), and 14:50

While I can't speak for his on the ball defense, there were a few aspects on this film that really stood out to me. He can really block and alter shots. Rui possess a fantastic ability to find and attack the ball at its highest point. He waits for both player and ball to reach their apex before going for the block. Why is this important? It keeps shot blockers out of foul trouble. Some shot blockers attack low or early in the shot. This is where you get reach ins and ticky tack fouls. James Harden lives off these undisciplined defenders. From the video, he does not leave his feat until player and ball are in the air which is an instinct that is difficult to coach. Blocks can be found at 2:18, 4:18, 5:02-this is easily his most impressive defensive highlight, he stays disciplined after two good pump fakes and only goes for the block once the player leaves his feet for good. At 6:10 we see his ability to stay with a smaller defender and the block a shot and subsequently run the floor for an impressive finish.
More blocks can be found at 8:38, 10:10, 11:32, 13:52, and 14:45. Another positive I noticed is he has excellent instincts on when to leave his man for a helpside block. His rotations are solid and he wasn't leaving his teammates out of position. Finally, he kept all but one of these blocks in bounds which is an obvious plus.

Rui also impressed me with an innate nose for the ball, particularly on the offensive glass. He has a great sense for where the ball will carom off the rim. Additionally, he keeps the ball high after an offensive rebound typically goes up strong when around the basket. Examples can be seen at 2:50, 3:23, 3:43, 4:35, 5:43, and 12:20

One this is clear regarding Rui and that is he has played against significantly inferior competition in Japan than what he will see here. But at FIBA and the JBC, he showed time and time again that he belongs with the big boys. This highlight film did nothing to dispel that notion for me, in fact I came away even more hopeful we may have found a star. While I don't think he's going to come in and be an All-American I think we have a player who is significantly more developed than most people previously thought. He seems custom fit for the 3 spot in Few's system: capable shooter/slasher who crashes the boards and gives some rim protection on the other end. While expectations should be tempered I think we may have found a diamond in the rough here.

CDC84
04-06-2016, 01:23 PM
For some reason whenever I see him play he reminds me a little of Luol Deng.

LeightonZag
04-06-2016, 01:33 PM
For some reason whenever I see him play he reminds me a little of Luol Deng.

The player he reminds me most of is a taller Roosevelt Jones from Butler with a better jumper.

zagsfanforlife
04-06-2016, 01:39 PM
I see a shorter Nicolas Batum

Ezag
04-06-2016, 01:58 PM
I see a shorter Nicolas Batum

He does have a nice mid-range which is missing in today's game. Japan got steamrolled by the USA in that game

TheOtherGreatOne
04-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Better jumper ? Jones doesnt have a jumper

Mantua
04-06-2016, 02:21 PM
And yet, the video cheered me up considerably.

Mantua
04-06-2016, 02:23 PM
He does have a nice mid-range which is missing in today's game. Japan got steamrolled by the USA in that game

And yet, the video cheered me up considerably.

OZZY
04-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the informative post LZ.

I am even more pumped about next year than I was before I read and viewed it!

Alum08
04-06-2016, 02:50 PM
The level of defense played against Rui in this video leaves much to be desired, to put it very nicely. He wasn't spectacular in the Jordan Brand Classic where the competition was a little stiffer (though not by much). He's going to have a big adjustment to NCAA ball but he's got a smooth J and decent athleticism although he'll need to play stronger.

Mantua
04-06-2016, 04:20 PM
The level of defense played against Rui in this video leaves much to be desired, to put it very nicely. He wasn't spectacular in the Jordan Brand Classic where the competition was a little stiffer (though not by much). He's going to have a big adjustment to NCAA ball but he's got a smooth J and decent athleticism although he'll need to play stronger.

I was thinking about the lack of defense too. He's got an awful lot going for him and probably hasn't much experience playing against high level players. I'm impressed that he's as skilled as he is coming from his current situation. It says something about his motivation. I hope he's ready to increase his speed. His opponents were pretty slow.

jazzdelmar
04-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Long shot. Hopefully a cut above Keita and The Monninghoff.

cggonzaga
04-06-2016, 05:09 PM

Think that if you want. I believe that comparison is way off. I've heard from many "insiders" that Rui is the real deal. There are even articles from reputable sources praising his game. That never happened with Keita or Monninghoff. Regardless of the videos and the competition he's playing he looks like a pro compared to those guys. He had a great week at the Jordan Brand Classic but was just average in the game. With his size and athleticism I believe he is Elias Harris at worst. Maybe not his freshmen year but eventually.

Zagdawg
04-06-2016, 05:18 PM
I've read the same thing and I think the next Knight transformation will be a solid Zag--but time will tell. You know jazz was just looking for a reaction anyway.

DukeSilver
04-06-2016, 05:29 PM
We shouldn't forget that Scout listed him among the top performers at the Jordan Brand Classic - alongside a bunch of current and former Top-40 players.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1537876-jordan-brand-day-one-recap?s=75

Rui Hachimura, PF/WF — Hachimura is native of Japan and has a Japanese mother, while his father hails from Benin. A 6-6, 210-pound combo forward, he’s physically advanced and very mobile with good straight-line speed. His frame suggests power forward yet he possesses sufficient quickness to potentially play on the perimeter some down the road. Hachimura has said that he intends to sign with an American college and pursue his basketball dreams in the United States.

A lot to be excited about there.

Jstock12
04-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Is he really only 6'6? Watching the video it seemed he's at least 7'0 :D

jazzdelmar
04-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Is he really only 6'6? Watching the video it seemed he's at least 7'0 :D

Lost in translation?

zagdontzig
04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
In other news, 30% of the members of this board could start for the Japanese U18 national team.

Jstock12
04-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Lost in translation?

You know, because Japanese are so short... ;)

WallaWallaZag
04-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Think that if you want. I believe that comparison is way off. I've heard from many "insiders" that Rui is the real deal. There are even articles from reputable sources praising his game. That never happened with Keita or Monninghoff. Regardless of the videos and the competition he's playing he looks like a pro compared to those guys. He had a great week at the Jordan Brand Classic but was just average in the game. With his size and athleticism I believe he is Elias Harris at worst. Maybe not his freshmen year but eventually.

this statement makes no sense on so many levels...so at his worst he's going to be the zags 4th leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder of all time??? so if he just develops on average he's going to be what...lebron?

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2016, 07:52 PM
95% of this reel is Japanese highschool footage, where he's at least 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than everyone else on the court, so it's really hard to tell how his game will translate when that will no longer be the case.

Alum08
04-07-2016, 08:25 AM
95% of this reel is Japanese highschool footage, where he's at least 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than everyone else on the court, so it's really hard to tell how his game will translate when that will no longer be the case.

The trait that gave me the most trepidation is that in several instances (even in a highlight video) he refused to shoot until his man dropped 5 feet off of him. He could have been shooting over everyone all day long. That's going to be a huge adjustment--players always talk about how much faster defenders close out at each level you move up, and it's true. I'd say the transition from Japanese HS ball to NCAA ball is going to be like playing a whole new game for Rui.

It also looks like he doesn't like contact. Maybe it's the way they call games in Japan? If I was his comparable size I'd be going up strong for lay-ins 99% of the time. That comes down to poor coaching, which is probably the biggest reason you don't see many good Japanese players. It's also the reason Rui is able to get the ball on the inside block with perfect positioning whenever he wants to, because the post defense demonstrated in the video is beyond atrocious.

The highlight reel only made me more worried. Also, the comparison to Elias is completely bogus from what I've seen of him thus far. The German national players versus those Japanese HS players, it's just not even close. It's impossible to draw any type of comparison let alone conclude that he can be as good or better than Harris.

WallaWallaZag
04-07-2016, 08:36 AM
The trait that gave me the most trepidation is that in several instances (even in a highlight video) he refused to shoot until his man dropped 5 feet off of him. He could have been shooting over everyone all day long. That's going to be a huge adjustment--players always talk about how much faster defenders close out at each level you move up, and it's true. I'd say the transition from Japanese HS ball to NCAA ball is going to be like playing a whole new game for Rui.

It also looks like he doesn't like contact. Maybe it's the way they call games in Japan? If I was his comparable size I'd be going up strong for lay-ins 99% of the time. That comes down to poor coaching, which is probably the biggest reason you don't see many good Japanese players. It's also the reason Rui is able to get the ball on the inside block with perfect positioning whenever he wants to, because the post defense demonstrated in the video is beyond atrocious.

The highlight reel only made me more worried. Also, the comparison to Elias is completely bogus from what I've seen of him thus far. The German national players versus those Japanese HS players, it's just not even close. It's impossible to draw any type of comparison let alone conclude that he can be as good or better than Harris.

while you certainly have some valid concerns, i should point out that rui performed quite well against good international competition, and not just the joke of a game against the usa, which is the reason he attracted all the attention in the first place.

Zag 77
04-07-2016, 08:56 AM
I have to note that Japan is not exactly a world power in basketball. I am reminded of Germayne Forbes (2001-02) who was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread in England. Or Calum McLeod (2005), who was the greatest thing since sliced bread in New Zealand. Just be a little careful with recruits from countries that have no real basketball tradition. Recruiting from Europe, Canada, Brazil and Australia is a little more predictable. Those are all places that have an established track record on the international level.

That does not mean that Mr. Hashimura will not work out, but he may need to redshirt and get used to American basketball. No need to put a lot of expectations on his shoulders.

BULLDOG#1
04-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I have to note that Japan is not exactly a world power in basketball. I am reminded of Germayne Forbes (2001-02) who was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread in England. Or Calum McLeod (2005), who was the greatest thing since sliced bread in New Zealand. Just be a little careful with recruits from countries that have no real basketball tradition. Recruiting from Europe, Canada, Brazil and Australia is a little more predictable. Those are all places that have an established track record on the international level.

That does not mean that Mr. Hashimura will not work out, but he may need to redshirt and get used to American basketball. No need to put a lot of expectations on his shoulders.

In Tommy we trust. Hashimura was on his radar for a reason. He is an amazing judge of talent.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2016, 09:24 AM
In Tommy we trust. Hashimura was on his radar for a reason. He is an amazing judge of talent.

yes he is, probably the best in the entire country in finding international talent, but we still got the two mathis, so even the best at their trade sometimes make mistakes.

cggonzaga
04-07-2016, 10:02 AM
I'll refrain from an argument regarding Rui's skillset and potential. I'll just leave it at I believe many will be pleasantly surprised by Rui and the type of player he is and will be.

I'll put my reputation (not that it means anything :)) on Rui being nowhere near the failed international prospects of the past. Whom, by the way, nobody had heard of until they committed to GU. Rui was on the media's radar long before he committed to GU.

Coach Crazy
04-07-2016, 10:02 AM

I disagree with both of those statements. In the JBC game he went baseline to the cup in the low post. He even turn his body on the power move, which creates a more likely situation for contact, and uses your body to create favorable space.

And him *not* shooting over shorter players means he isn't going to have to adjust to *not* doing that. He's fundamentally sound. There will be some adjustment, but not what you are alluding to. He has the potential to be special. He'll be a 3 or 4 year player, but has NBA potential. He wouldn't be coming over if he didn't.

He's done fine against better, bigger, more athletic competition. Even the JBC had him at 9 points in 18 minutes. If we got that from a rotational player, we'd been very satisfied. And even though the USA embarrassed Japan, Rui did his thing. He's ready.

strikenowhere
04-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Lets just hope he isn't Bol Kong 2.0.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2016, 10:19 AM
I'll refrain from an argument regarding Rui's skillset and potential. I'll just leave it at I believe many will be pleasantly surprised by Rui and the type of player he is and will be.

I'll put my reputation (not that it means anything :)) on Rui being nowhere near the failed international prospects of the past. Whom, by the way, nobody had heard of until they committed to GU. Rui was on the media's radar long before he committed to GU.

I do think he's going to a contributor to the team down the road, but I can't think of a bigger jump from Japanese highschool ball to major D1 hoops.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Lets just hope he isn't Bol Kong 2.0.

Yup, I sure got that one wrong. But Bol's issue wasn't his talent, he was very skilled; it was what was between his ears that did him in.

Reborn
04-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Ok! I spent quite a bit of time viewing this video. If you believe that Rui Hachimura is really good, then I tend to wonder about your basketball knowledge. What doesn't he have? He has it all as far as I can see. He has the catch and shoot shot and used it quite well against the USA team, who had a taller man guarding him. He has the fall away jumper and it's beautiful. Americans could not stop that shot. He has the REALLY good footwork which has been mentioned in the thread. And finally he has the dribble step back jumper. These are all shots that a high level shooter needs to have and he has all three of them. And if you don't think that his shot is beautiful, then I doubt that you understand beauty in terms of shooting.

One reason he shoots so effectively from the outside is that he is a great dribble driver to the basket, and he actually seems to prefer to drive. He is 6'6 so he has the height to drive to the basket and even dunk off the dribble. If he played the wing at 6'6" he does have the potential to post up players, and that's a plus. He has great footwork already in his inside post game, and can already go both ways. When he goes left he has that fall away jumper from the middle of the key, that Sabonis did not really have. I mean he had it but it wasn't close to his best shot.

I would like to see him play the 3. Gonzaga needs a three his size and with his athletic ability. I also think he would be a huge asset on defense at the 3. Remember that Rui is just an 18 or 19 yr old kid. He's raw, and if that's raw than imagine how much better he's going to get at Gonzaga. I'm thrilled.

Go Zags!!!

Jstock12
04-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Ok! I spent quite a bit of time viewing this video. If you don't believe that Rui Hachimura is really good, then I tend to wonder about your basketball knowledge. What doesn't he have? He has it all as far as I can see. He has the catch and shoot shot and used it quite well against the USA team, who had a taller man guarding him. He has the fall away jumper and it's beautiful. Americans could not stop that shot. He has the REALLY good footwork which has been mentioned in the thread. And finally he has the dribble step back jumper. These are all shots that a high level shooter needs to have and he has all three of them. And if you don't think that his shot is beautiful, then I doubt that you understand beauty in terms of shooting.

One reason he shoots so effectively from the outside is that he is a great dribble driver to the basket, and he actually seems to prefer to drive. He is 6'6 so he has the height to drive to the basket and even dunk off the dribble. If he played the wing at 6'6" he does have the potential to post up players, and that's a plus. He has great footwork already in his inside post game, and can already go both ways. When he goes left he has that fall away jumper from the middle of the key, that Sabonis did not really have. I mean he had it but it wasn't close to his best shot.

I would like to see him play the 3. Gonzaga needs a three his size and with his athletic ability. I also think he would be a huge asset on defense at the 3. Remember that Rui is just an 18 or 19 yr old kid. He's raw, and if that's raw than imagine how much better he's going to get at Gonzaga. I'm thrilled.

Go Zags!!!

FYP ;)

ZagsGoZags
04-07-2016, 01:51 PM
yes he is, probably the best in the entire country in finding international talent, but we still got the two mathis, so even the best at their trade sometimes make mistakes.

I am not so sure it was a mistake. It was my impression at the time that we had two spots on the roster and it was getting late, and we had to get somebody into those slots, for practice and worst case scenarios. So Lloyd did the best he could with what he had at the time, and I don't recall anybody praising them coming in as players at a high level.

CdAZagFan
04-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Well said... Personally, I thought he looked pretty smooth all around - even against weaker competition. Can only imagine what the GU coaches could do with him. Thanks, LZ, for the post.

cggonzaga
04-07-2016, 02:42 PM
He's also said to be closer to 6'8" at this point.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2016, 02:44 PM
You know, because Japanese are so short... ;)

Movie reference.

gonzagafan62
04-07-2016, 04:11 PM

That was before his real brilliance

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2016, 04:34 PM
I am not so sure it was a mistake. It was my impression at the time that we had two spots on the roster and it was getting late, and we had to get somebody into those slots, for practice and worst case scenarios. So Lloyd did the best he could with what he had at the time, and I don't recall anybody praising them coming in as players at a high level.

One of the kids was the kid from Portland, Maine (can't remember his name) but was half of the answer to a trivia question that I made up: what is the only school in the country to have a player from Portland Oregon and a player from Portland Maine on the team at the same time?

ZagNut08
04-07-2016, 04:44 PM
One of the kids was the kid from Portland, Maine (can't remember his name) but was half of the answer to a trivia question that I made up: what is the only school in the country to have a player from Portland Oregon and a player from Portland Maine on the team at the same time?

Keegan Hyland

seacatfan
04-07-2016, 04:47 PM
There were a BUNCH of recruiting mistakes during a 2 or 3 year period, and not just foreign kids. Just too many pieces that didn't fit. Mathis X2 wasn't the most egregious reach the staff made in offering a scholie to a player. I thought both had some skill/talent, but couldn't find their role on the team. Luckily that time period ended and is way in the rearview mirror now. It was perplexing, but there were enough key recruits that panned out big time to keep the program from bogging down.

jazzdelmar
04-07-2016, 04:55 PM
There were a BUNCH of recruiting mistakes during a 2 or 3 year period, and not just foreign kids. Just too many pieces that didn't fit. Mathis X2 wasn't the most egregious reach the staff made in offering a scholie to a player. I thought both had some skill/talent, but couldn't find their role on the team. Luckily that time period ended and is way in the rearview mirror now. It was perplexing, but there were enough key recruits that panned out big time to keep the program from bogging down.

Vilarino was the longest reach.

seacatfan
04-07-2016, 05:00 PM

I was thinking Hyland or Poling. The fact that there are so many candidates...still perplexing what was going on back then.

maynard g krebs
04-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Poling was a 5 star recruit at one point; top 10 or 20 in his class I think. Had a health problem that weakened him physically but the coaches stuck with him since he had committed early.

seacatfan
04-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Poling was a 5 star recruit at one point; top 10 or 20 in his class I think. Had a health problem that weakened him physically but the coaches stuck with him since he had committed early.

I do remember him being fairly highly regarded at one point. Had mono IIRC. I can understand that setting back his development to some degree, but he never caught up. I can't believe having mono would ruin a career. I think he was mis-evaluated early in his career is what happened. He ended up being a decent but not anywhere near dominating big at D2 Seattle Pacific. At 6-10 or 6-11 or whatever he was, if he wasn't dominant at that level...well I think a bunch of people were wrong about him.

Even if you disagree with me, you gotta give me Hyland. They took a flyer on him because he was supposed to be a shooter, but he just wasn't upper D1 caliber. Never should've been recruited by GU, but he washed out so fast it was like he wasn't ever there.

maynard g krebs
04-07-2016, 06:06 PM
I do remember him being fairly highly regarded at one point. Had mono IIRC. I can understand that setting back his development to some degree, but he never caught up. I can't believe having mono would ruin a career. I think he was mis-evaluated early in his career is what happened. He ended up being a decent but not anywhere near dominating big at D2 Seattle Pacific. At 6-10 or 6-11 or whatever he was, if he wasn't dominant at that level...well I think a bunch of people were wrong about him.

Even if you disagree with me, you gotta give me Hyland. They took a flyer on him because he was supposed to be a shooter, but he just wasn't upper D1 caliber. Never should've been recruited by GU, but he washed out so fast it was like he wasn't ever there.

No disagreement w/ Hyland. Roster filler; never hurts to take a flyer on a shooter. You can't play 13 guys anyway.

With Poling it wasn't mono; some kind of serious digestive disorder that really weakened him. Don't remember exact details. At the time he committed, he was the highest rated recruit GU had gotten. Think he got sick his last yr of hs and nobody could figure out what was wrong; lost a ton of weight and never really got healthy. Some less scrupulous coaches might have pulled his offer; just speculation, but GU's coaches stuck with him. Not a talent issue at all

amaronizag
04-07-2016, 07:10 PM
To be fair to Hyland, he was recruited because he was a lights out 3 point shooter. I showed up at Craziness at the Kennel extremely excited to see him put on an exhibition and he wasn't there. He went back home before a single game was played. I was told that he wanted to be closer to home and that's all any player or contact in the GU system ever said. Maybe there was more to the story but I never heard that part.

OZZY
04-07-2016, 08:08 PM
No disagreement w/ Hyland. Roster filler; never hurts to take a flyer on a shooter. You can't play 13 guys anyway.

With Poling it wasn't mono; some kind of serious digestive disorder that really weakened him. Don't remember exact details. At the time he committed, he was the highest rated recruit GU had gotten. Think he got sick his last yr of hs and nobody could figure out what was wrong; lost a ton of weight and never really got healthy. Some less scrupulous coaches might have pulled his offer; just speculation, but GU's coaches stuck with him. Not a talent issue at all

Pretty sure Poling's issue was coeliac disease

A disease in which the small intestine is hypersensitive to gluten, leading to difficulty in digesting food.

It was awhile until he was properly diagnosed, he had lost a lot of weight.

MDABE80
04-07-2016, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=seacatfan;1207736]I do remember him being fairly highly regarded at one point. Had mono IIRC. I can understand that setting back his development to some degree, but he never caught up. I can't believe having mono would ruin a career. I think he was mis-evaluated early in his career is what happened. He ended up being a decent but not anywhere near dominating big at D2 Seattle Pacific. At 6-10 or 6-11 or whatever he was, if he wasn't dominant at that level...well I think a bunch of people were wrong about him.

Andy Poling turned into a very good big. His health problem lost him 30 lbs and he was just too weak to perform well. He was a very good kid and player though. When we figured out his GI problem, it ws late in the game and he left. One of the nicest kids we have had though.

hyland had multiple concussions and just couldn't withstand the rigors of D1 ball. He never really did much. He came to us as a great shooter though. His health was the concern.

seacatfan
04-07-2016, 08:38 PM
My bad in regards to Poling, I was wrong about the health issues he dealt with.

Birddog
04-08-2016, 04:22 AM
I just want to point out that some people think that Nicholas Cage can act. That is one of the perils of making judgments based on film. Not saying the OP or anyone else is wrong, just consider the medium.

TexasZagFan
04-08-2016, 05:35 AM
Pretty sure Poling's issue was coeliac disease

A disease in which the small intestine is hypersensitive to gluten, leading to difficulty in digesting food.

It was awhile until he was properly diagnosed, he had lost a lot of weight.

I'm surprised we all avoided that, eating all that COG food. Thanks to the COG, I overcame my dislike of ham. The only other choice on Wednesday nights was strawberry waffles IIRC.

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2016, 05:40 AM

he actually just turned 18 about a month ago, so even if he reclassified to '17 he would be age appropriate...

TexasZagFan
04-08-2016, 05:42 AM

Hard to disagree with that, jazz. I think it's more of a case that with greater experience, our staff has improved their decision making. Another factor is that for the last few years, we've been landing 3&4 stars vs. 3 stars...and now we have our first Burger Boy.

Of course, there have been exceptions to the above, but there's no doubt they have a better feel for those players who embody the "Zag way" of playing the game, and fitting into the program.

ProVeeZag
04-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Waiter, I'd like to place an order for an "umlaut", over easy.

Zagdawg
05-11-2016, 05:44 AM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 7h7 hours ago
Rui Hachimura has enrolled at Gonzaga for Summer courses & will be there this weekend
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160511-00000051-dal-spo … #ZagUp

Google Translated below

"In Japan national basketball team candidates, Hachimura Rui (18) is 11 days with the mother of the father and a Japanese native Africa, Benin, performs a press conference in Tokyo, go to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) 1 part of the Gonzaga University announced today that it has become a prospect that can be. "The goal is to become a NBA player. As Hippareru Japanese basketball, hard work you want in the big stage," said a and aspirations.

Height 202 cm standard outside of Hope, approached a distance that can reach the dream of non-standard. The 18-year-old that led to the National High School selection three consecutive Miyagi-Meisei high that has been through up to this spring, select the home of the university as a go destination. It was "still closer to the NBA. So work hard so we can do there is a chance" and to Takanara the chest.

Longing for the NBA was also directed itself was a basketball devoted to the desk. Mainly in English from last year, and dared the hard study of July 1 to 8 hours, break through the academic standards NCAA is provided. Also travel to the US this weekend, we had to wait for a "pass" while attending to prepare for the class of the University towards the September enrollment.

Weapons physique and speed. However, the university must Kachinuka the tough competition only to the giants that National Championship quarterfinals entering of last year. Hachimura is while the "go out in the sense refers to the humility of the Japanese", the goal is a greedy, was forcefully declared that "go with the intention of leaving the game from the first year."

Also towards the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to celebrate in the 22-year-old was burned "was aware from the time when Tokyo was decided. I want out really and to have thought," said the motivation."

Qhall43
05-11-2016, 06:42 AM
"The 18-year-old, who graduated from Sendai’s Meisei High School in March, will attend Gonzaga’s English Language Center from the end of this month to polish his English and register to be a Gonzaga student for the fall semester in September. He will head to the United States this weekend."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/05/11/basketball/hachimura-cleared-to-enroll-at-gonzaga/#.VzNEO8hHbCR

thegloriousgoateeofKP
05-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 7h7 hours ago
Rui Hachimura has enrolled at Gonzaga for Summer courses & will be there this weekend
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160511-00000051-dal-spo … #ZagUp

Google Translated below

"In Japan national basketball team candidates, Hachimura Rui (18) is 11 days with the mother of the father and a Japanese native Africa, Benin, performs a press conference in Tokyo, go to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) 1 part of the Gonzaga University announced today that it has become a prospect that can be. "The goal is to become a NBA player. As Hippareru Japanese basketball, hard work you want in the big stage," said a and aspirations.

Height 202 cm standard outside of Hope, approached a distance that can reach the dream of non-standard. The 18-year-old that led to the National High School selection three consecutive Miyagi-Meisei high that has been through up to this spring, select the home of the university as a go destination. It was "still closer to the NBA. So work hard so we can do there is a chance" and to Takanara the chest.

Longing for the NBA was also directed itself was a basketball devoted to the desk. Mainly in English from last year, and dared the hard study of July 1 to 8 hours, break through the academic standards NCAA is provided. Also travel to the US this weekend, we had to wait for a "pass" while attending to prepare for the class of the University towards the September enrollment.

Weapons physique and speed. However, the university must Kachinuka the tough competition only to the giants that National Championship quarterfinals entering of last year. Hachimura is while the "go out in the sense refers to the humility of the Japanese", the goal is a greedy, was forcefully declared that "go with the intention of leaving the game from the first year."

Also towards the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to celebrate in the 22-year-old was burned "was aware from the time when Tokyo was decided. I want out really and to have thought," said the motivation."

Do we think this means he'll actually play this year, or is a red shirt still the plan?

Zagdawg
05-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Hachimura cleared to enroll at Gonzaga

"Japanese basketball standout Rui Hachimura announced on Wednesday that he has met the academic requirements to enroll at Gonzaga University and could begin playing for the school’s basketball team as early as this fall."

"Asked if he plans to redshirt in his first year, Hachimura, a forward, shook his head.

“I’d like to play in games from the first year, that’s what I’m thinking,” said Hachimura, who was a nearly invincible presence on the floor in high school and guided Meisei to the championship at the All-Japan High School Tournament in each of the last three years."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/05/11/basketball/hachimura-cleared-to-enroll-at-gonzaga/#.VzNEx_krLb2

Zagcity
05-11-2016, 06:43 AM

Nuff said :agreed:

Ezag
05-11-2016, 06:44 AM
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/05/11/basketball/hachimura-cleared-to-enroll-at-gonzaga/#.VzNEtnplDqA

ZagsObserver
05-11-2016, 06:56 AM
Great find and great news. Interesting tidbit about redshirt plans. We'll see if that changes after arrival.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/05/11/basketball/hachimura-cleared-to-enroll-at-gonzaga/#.VzNEtnplDqA

cggonzaga
05-11-2016, 07:19 AM
No need to hate Lee. From everything I've heard this is all a new development. Plans can change and that's what seemed to happen here. No need to throw anybody under the bus or say I told you so.

LongIslandZagFan
05-11-2016, 07:21 AM
His own concern over academics is a touch troubling.

LongIslandZagFan
05-11-2016, 07:21 AM
No need to hate Lee. From everything I've heard this is all a new development. Plans can change and that's what seemed to happen here. No need to throw anybody under the bus or say I told you so.

He has issues with Zagazags and doesn't seem to want to let it go.

Zagdawg
05-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Great to see the young man is coming early to focus on getting some extra practice in with English, getting used to American culture and the college life.

As far as the missed call --not a big deal-------I thought I was wrong once too........but I was mistaken.

;)

Rui in Spokane early = Great news for our Zags!

Zag 77
05-11-2016, 07:25 AM
In one of the books about GU basketball there is a story about Coach Dan Fitzgerald talking with a walk-on hopeful who was burning it up in the intramural league. Fitz supposedly said "yeah but that was against 5 Asian guys wearing brown socks. "

Coach Crazy
05-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Will be interesting to see how he is able to contribute without a redshirt season. At the same time, might be needed if Tillie has health issues that limit his time. Either way, glad to see he'll be here.

hooter73
05-11-2016, 07:38 AM
I for one am excited. The sooner he gets here and the more playing time he is exposed to, the better. I have the highest regard for our redshirt program, but imo it has shown to be geared more towards physical development. When a player redshirts who already has the body, we haven't seen leaps and bounds of game development because that type of thing is usually only something you can get by doing. So even if he's only a ten minutes a game guy his first year, I can see where that would be better for his overall development in the long run than a year of not playing.

Could be way off base, just my take.

titopoet
05-11-2016, 07:38 AM
He's also said to be closer to 6'8" at this point.

That is right. The 6'6" came from his time at Jordon Brand in Washington DC playing against the likes of Cheick Diallo. and that was over a year ago. Kids that age tend to grow. Also, being an international star, he has played against some of the best players including America. The fact Few wants him is good enough for me. The evaluation also came as he was going against the best not against the weaker players, http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1537876-jordan-brand-day-one-recap?s=75

jazzdelmar
05-11-2016, 07:44 AM
In one of the books about GU basketball there is a story about Coach Dan Fitzgerald talking with a walk-on hopeful who was burning it up in the intramural league. Fitz supposedly said "yeah but that was against 5 Asian guys wearing brown socks. "

Ugh. Thankfully, times have changed.

Ezag
05-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Ugh. Thankfully, times have changed.

I could have been one of those Asian guys but my socks are always black!

Coach Crazy
05-11-2016, 08:02 AM
I for one am excited. The sooner he gets here and the more playing time he is exposed to, the better. I have the highest regard for our redshirt program, but imo it has shown to be geared more towards physical development. When a player redshirt who already has the body, we haven't seen leaps and bounds of game development because that type of thing is usually only something you can get by doing. So even if he's only a ten minutes a game guy his first year, I can see where that would be better for his overall development in the long run than a year of not playing.

Couldn't be way off base, just my take.

First off, I think fans and coaches in general need to start shifting to an efficiency-based view of performance. Some of the best players to play, recently, for Kentucky weren't mpg "cookie monster's". Second, I would agree that this program is better at the physical development side, with regard to redshirt. Third, I think extra time is more about acclamation, than development.

CDC84
05-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Fran knows his international prospects pretty well. He refers to Hachimura as a bigger version of Elias Harris....."a man child."

webspinnre
05-11-2016, 08:36 AM
I would love to have him redshirt a year.

Coach Crazy
05-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Fran knows his international prospects pretty well. He refers to Hachimura as a bigger version of Elias Harris....."a man child."

I'm not saying this to be a contrarian, I just don't see Elias Harris when I look at Rui's game. I would be interested to hear why he feels that way. But I do agree that he is a "man child". The kid is very physically developed.

GoZags
05-11-2016, 08:52 AM
. Third, I think extra time is more about acclamation, than development.

Bingo. Although this came out as "news" today Gonzaga has known for the last 4-6 weeks that Rui had qualified academically. The only concern is "language" skills and getting acclimated to the U.S. culture. From the basketball standpoint .... Hachimura's skills ARE there (although they can always be refined). If there's a way that he sees the floor this coming season ... with everything else in the fold "exciting" times sure do lie ahead.

Zagdawg
05-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Once he gets into the program he will make the call about red shirting -- there are a ton of positives about red shirting -- but it will be up to him to make the call after discussing it with the staff and seeing where he is at getting used to being in the states, the rigors of college study plus the language challenges.

Go Zags

Ezag
05-11-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm not saying this to be a contrarian, I just don't see Elias Harris when I look at Rui's game. I would be interested to hear why he feels that way. But I do agree that he is a "man child". The kid is very physically developed.

Hachimura has can take it to the basket but also has an outside game that Elias really did not have. I don't see Hachimura as good a rebounder as Elias at this point.

Zagger
05-11-2016, 09:38 AM
I would love to have him redshirt a year.
I'd rather have him start this fall and go NBA in 2-3 years :)
Just saying .... ala Dontmiss (he was worth having around for only 2). From the vids it sure looks like Rui will be exciting. He seems to have the drive to succeed in D1 BB. Redshirt years can certainly help a player and spreading floortime out amongst a bunch of players has the potential to seed discord - but ..... I think Few & gang can handle the dynamics well.

BULLDOG#1
05-11-2016, 09:47 AM
I love Rui's confidence. It's so hard to evaluate his talent given the limited footage on him and what's available is mostly with him clearly way bigger and more skilled than the competition.

Still, there's a lot to like with the video that is out there. He's big and athletic and seems to have decent quickness, hops, and strength. His jumper looks solid and he sure doesn't lack confidence. His timing on blocked shots is outstanding (and he sure seems to like blocking them) and that should translate to rebounding. His defense wasn't a focus of the videos, but with the physical tools he has and the coaching at GU, it's unlikely that his defense will be a liability. He's great on the block against smaller and less athletic competition -- which is likely what he'd be up against in the WCC (like Harris did).

It's pretty lofty that he says he wants to play this year and that his goal is the NBA. Has any scout indicated that an NBA career is within the possibilities of Rui? I don't know if it's the pros, but the ceiling is pretty high for him and there's not a lot of downside with him coming to GU. Maybe there's some cultural/language challenges, but he seems a bright, motivated kid with good handlers and a coaching staff that's accustomed to bringing in international recruits.

I'm excited to see the kid in a zag uniform.

CDC84
05-11-2016, 09:55 AM
You can only get so much understanding of Hachimura's game from old highlight videos.

The only way I see Rui redshirting is if they feel he needs to for academic/cultural/language reasons. The Zags need another guard/wing in their rotation. Melson and Alberts have yet to show consistency as players. Maybe they will this season, but the Zags need options. Norvell is another option of course, but like Rui, he's a freshman.

ZagaZags
05-11-2016, 10:18 AM
This is great news. Rui Hachimura will be a tremendous player for Gonzaga. I'm so glad he will be here in 2016.

Just to clarify some of my earlier posts, I was told back in February, this wasn't going to be the case. The two people that are very close to the basketball team told me this. Only Jazz, ZagNative and cggonzaga know who these two people are. If you were told something by these two, you would believe it too. I think they might back me up on this.

Sorry for any confusion. :fingergun:

Coach Crazy
05-11-2016, 10:23 AM
You can only get so much understanding of Hachimura's game from old highlight videos.

The only way I see Rui redshirting is if they feel he needs to for academic/cultural/language reasons. The Zags need another guard/wing in their rotation. Melson and Alberts have yet to show consistency as players. Maybe they will this season, but the Zags need options. Norvell is another option of course, but like Rui, he's a freshman.

To me, this speaks volumes about who is as a player and how refined his skill set is, already. And if Rui is indeed 6'8", now...then he's going to be very versatile. His post game doesn't get talked about a lot, but I think that is going to be an important aspect of his game to embrace. Yes, he needs to shoot the ball from the outside, but his post positioning is impressive. Regardless the players he has faced. While I don't see him becoming Ben Simmons, he has the potential to be that type of player. And at the 3, that fits very well into the Gonzaga offense.

Coach Crazy
05-11-2016, 10:26 AM
This is great news. Rui Hachimura will be a tremendous player for Gonzaga. I'm so glad he will be here in 2016.

Just to clarify some of my earlier posts, I was told back in February, this wasn't going to be the case. The two people that are very close to the basketball team told me this. Only Jazz, ZagNative and cggonzaga know who these two people are. If you were told something by these two, you would believe it too. I think they might back me up on this.

#firstworldprogramproblems

doctorzag
05-11-2016, 10:26 AM

I vote for throwing him under the bus.

maynard g krebs
05-11-2016, 10:28 AM
The small college I attended in the 70's (+-750 undergrads) ran an ESL program with about 150 foreign (oops, international) students, divided about equally btw Japanese, Arab, and South American. A lot of the Japanese kids wound up enrolling in school after ESL and graduating. In a school that small, you literally know everybody.

In general, they adapted really easily to US life and loved it in Atlanta. Some got a little wild, as most of us do at that age, getting away from the tightly wound workaholic Japanese society. But the work ethic in Japan is so strong, or at least was then, that even with the language issues they mostly pretty much breezed through school. I heard more than once that they had to work harder in hs. Also, the Japanese written language has hundreds of characters; just learning to read and write takes years of effort.

Just a little context re the concern about academics. My guess(and only that, of course) is that Rui will be more ready academically than a lot of American kids that are in school as scholarship athletes.

doctorzag
05-11-2016, 10:30 AM

Your perfect record is still intact.

Norwester
05-11-2016, 10:31 AM
GU's ESL Program:

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Academics/International-Students/elc/esl.asp

LeightonZag
05-11-2016, 11:09 AM
I don't care who he is facing this is elite athleticism and I for one could not be more excited. https://www.instagram.com/p/BBAE9NqCYo2/

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2016, 11:17 AM
I don't care who he is facing this is elite athleticism and I for one could not be more excited. https://www.instagram.com/p/BBAE9NqCYo2/

That clip is comical; might as well show a really developed 19 year old against 6th graders. lol

titopoet
05-11-2016, 11:44 AM
I am sorry but this has to be said... even as I know a pun a day will keep your friends away.

Those that doubt Hachimura, will Rui the day.

Murphy outgo lifer
05-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have an updated height and weight for Rui? I know people have listed him at 6'8 but I was wondering if that was official. Also, I was wondering if he has the weight to play in the post or if he needs to put on a lot of weight.

I am wondering if few would play him at both the 3 and the 4 his first season.

If so the line ups below could be quite athletic and also be able to stretch the floor well.

Perkins
Goss
Norvell/Melson
Rui
Williams III/ Collins

Coach Crazy
05-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Does anyone have an updated height and weight for Rui? I know people have listed him at 6'8 but I was wondering if that was official. Also, I was wondering if he has the weight to play in the post or if he needs to put on a lot of weight.

I am wondering if few would play him at both the 3 and the 4 his first season.

If so the line ups below could be quite athletic and also be able to stretch the floor well.

Perkins
Goss
Norvell/Melson
Rui
Williams III/ Collins

I am anticipating Shem being back. And J3 is not a 5. If indeed 6'8", I could see some minor minutes as a 4 in a smaller lineup. But he's going to be best as a 3, for this team. Especially with that kind of length on the wing. Melson looks like he will have some competition for minutes, and will probably end up splitting time between 2 and 3. Bryan Alberts may be in his terminal year. He's going to have to really bring it to get any minutes, this upcoming season.

Zagdawg
05-11-2016, 12:28 PM
The article said height of 202 cm = 6'7 1/2"

Murphy outgo lifer
05-11-2016, 12:44 PM
And J3 is not a 5. If indeed 6'8", I could see some minor minutes as a 4 in a smaller lineup.

Yeah... Sorry for the confusion I just put JW III in the center position to emphasize the smaller lineup. I fully expect him to play mostly the 4, however, even with Tillie he might have to play more 5. From what I saw of him from craziness, he matches Sabonis' physicality and think he could handle the position for spurts.

exclusivelee
05-11-2016, 01:01 PM
I'll stick with Tommy's measurements of a legit 6-foot-8 1/4 with a 7-foot-2 wingspan: www.heinnews.com/basketball/nba/next-international-wave-will-set-up-zags-for-a-while-says-gus-lloyd/

Rare for Zags to land a guy with those type of measurements & athleticism straight out of high school

For comparison , Austin Daye measured at 6'9.75" without shoes & 7'2.75" wingspan: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Daye-1316/

For transfers, Angel Nunez couldn't find a way out of Few's dog house, but had was 6'8" with a 7'3" wingspan according to this: http://louisville.247sports.com/Article/Nunez-primed-for-breakout-year-97413

cggonzaga
05-11-2016, 01:57 PM
I am sorry but this has to be said... even as I know a pun a day will keep your friends away.

Well played!

When we're talking NBA "potential", I believe Rui is right up there with Collins.

GoZags
05-11-2016, 02:06 PM

Titopoet for threeeeeeeeee !!! Nothin' but net.

basketballzag
05-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Titopoet for threeeeeeeeee !!! Nothin' but net.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiLlrpaU4AA23vf.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiFr5EUUgAAVy9U.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdFIG_ZUYAAh3Pr.jpg

Louis has exceptional footwork and athletic ability for an incoming freshman but what really is impressive is his wingspan. He is a gym rat and given his cultural attitude he will be a very trainable kid for the coaching staff. I do think it will take him awhile to adjust the physical style of NCAA basketball and the speed which he hasn't really encountered except in a few international tournaments. I can see him being that impact player by his Junior year once he adapts to playing in the Gonzaga system. BTW he goes by the name Louis not Rui

sittingon50
05-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks BBZ.

MDABE80
05-11-2016, 08:45 PM
He'll do much better aclimated to where everything is, making friends and so on. Louis looks like he might be a superior wing. He'll need development as all the fresh faces do. While we really don't know how good he is now, I think we have a great need for a reliable 3. Norvell and Louis maybe be of signifficant help there. As far as I can tell that is the one spot that's never really be a strong source of defense and points. Here's hopin....:)

Goshzagit
05-12-2016, 03:02 AM
. BTW he goes by the name Louis not Rui

Rui = Louis. Louis aka Rui.

Same name. Louis is the English translation/version of Rui & vice versa in Japan.

He goes by both, not one or the other, depending on what language he is associating with...

Along the lines as Jorge = George in Spanish, but different given the language, Rui & Louis are one in the same.

DixieZag
05-12-2016, 06:19 AM

Same name. Louis is the English translation/version of Rui & vice versa in Japan.

He goes by both, not one or the other, depending on what language he is associating with...

Along the lines as Jorge = George in Spanish, but different given the language, Rui & Louis are one in the same.

Cool. I didn't know that. Thx.

MontanaCoyote
05-12-2016, 06:26 AM
Hey, let's just see how it all works out for him and the ZAG's. With all of our other new guys coming in it's not as though Hach has to save the world or anything. If he needs some time to develop, we've got plenty of clock.

GoZags
05-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Not that I'd ever doubt BBZ (or you for that matter) but the first two word's in Hachimura's "wiki" page seems to back up the "double" name thing. I'm just glad this has been "handled" before Doc can hang a "Jenks" on him.

Rui "Louis" Hachimura (八村 塁 Hachimura Rui?, born February 8, 1998 in Toyama Prefecture) is a Japanese-Beninese basketball player. He stands 6'8" (203cm) tall and plays forward. Hachimura is currently playing at the Meisei High School in Japan and will join Gonzaga University beginning in the 2016-17 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rui_Hachimura

On a side note ... I wasn't aware that he actually visited Arizona. I know he slipped in to Spokane on the q.t. There are some other interesting tidbits in the 23 links at the bottom of wiki. i.e. Louis was named to an all International "Cheeseball" team (that's a good thing) and that as of February he was able to understand 80% of English but could speak around 40%. GU's "English Language Center" will help immensely.

Coach Crazy
05-12-2016, 07:31 AM
He'll do much better aclimated to where everything is, making friends and so on. Louis looks like he might be a superior wing. He'll need development as all the fresh faces do. While we really don't know how good he is now, I think we have a great need for a reliable 3. Norvell and Louis maybe be of signifficant help there. As far as I can tell that is the one spot that's never really be a strong source of defense and points. Here's hopin....:)

I would like to see how they work on the court at the same time.

Kiddwell
05-12-2016, 09:48 AM

Tito, you are a man after Kiddwell's heart (or vice versa). So punny, in fact, I'm inspired.

Supersized Wing, a poem
<ahem> :clap:
Roses are red,
Pacific Ocean,
Supersized wing?
Heck of a notion!

:]

Baseline
05-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Between Rui and Louis I think which ever is better should get the most playing tme.

Mantua
05-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Between Rui and Louis I think which ever is better should get the most playing tme.

;)

seasontixholder
05-14-2016, 04:58 AM

Goshzagit: wouldn't it be a good guess that Rui originated from the French pronunciation of that name; that is, a corrupted version due to difficulty of reproducing foreign sounds? (Similar to how westerners corrupted Native American sounds?)

I researched the Romanization of Japanese, and it began with the Jesuits. It leads me to believe that Rui might actually be "Louie" and could be a centuries' old product. Your thoughts? Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

GoZags
05-14-2016, 05:14 AM
It leads me to believe that Rui might actually be "Louie" and could be a centuries' old product. Your thoughts? Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

While I'm not goshzagit .... it's obvious that "Louie" is the way it's pronounced ...

ZagsGoZags
05-14-2016, 07:37 AM
Not that I'd ever doubt BBZ (or you for that matter) but the first two word's in Hachimura's "wiki" page seems to back up the "double" name thing. I'm just glad this has been "handled" before Doc can hang a "Jenks" on him.

On a side note ... I wasn't aware that he actually visited Arizona. I know he slipped in to Spokane on the q.t. There are some other interesting tidbits in the 23 links at the bottom of wiki. i.e. Louis was named to an all International "Cheeseball" team (that's a good thing) and that as of February he was able to understand 80% of English but could speak around 40%. GU's "English Language Center" will help immensely.

living in the US will also help, esp. if he doesn't associate mostly with Japanese kids on campus
immersion is a great teacher

Birddog
05-14-2016, 09:41 AM
living in the US will also help, esp. if he doesn't associate mostly with Japanese kids on campus
immersion is a great teacher

I recommend that he watch cartoon network as much as possible, or any cartoons for that matter. The Simpsons would be perfect.

Zagceo
05-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Louis is a man child.....looks mid to late 20's IMO

SteelZag
05-15-2016, 07:51 PM
I recommend that he watch cartoon network as much as possible, or any cartoons for that matter. The Simpsons would be perfect.

Don't forget FXX. He could watch 50 episodes a week.

:drool:

Zagdawg
05-15-2016, 08:09 PM
He's here!

Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 8h8 hours ago
Rui Hachimura has arrived at Gonzaga in Spokane for Summer courses https://www.facebook.com/JAPANBASKETBALL/posts/1315917505102458 … @Louis_8mura #八村塁 #GoZags

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Rui.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Rui.png.html)

sittingon50
05-15-2016, 10:46 PM
:clap:

Welcome Rui!

bigblahla
05-16-2016, 06:23 AM
Louie - Rui.....Louie Louie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1p1dM3snQ

Welcome to GU...

Go!! Zags!!!

MontanaCoyote
05-16-2016, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=bigblahla;1220579]Louie - Rui.....Louie Louie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1p1dM3snQ

I like it!
Welcome to GU...
Go!! Zags!!![/QUOTE

ProVeeZag
05-17-2016, 07:57 PM

Does Heister know about this? I'm jes' sayin"...

webspinnre
05-17-2016, 08:02 PM

Hah! Back in the day when rep was a thing, this would be big time rep right here.

sittingon50
05-17-2016, 08:33 PM

:lmao:

Coach Crazy
05-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Mods: I'd apprecioate it if you would change the thread title to "Stupid Taco Posts have Returned to Gonzaga Board," then start another thread entitled "Hachimura Has Arrived at Gonzaga"?

"Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!"

kitzbuel
05-20-2016, 03:14 AM
While I'm not goshzagit .... it's obvious that "Louie" is the way it's pronounced ...

That is of course because he uses the French pronunciation.

kitzbuel
05-20-2016, 03:17 AM
That is of course because he uses the French pronunciation.

BTW, a person from Benin is Beninois.

sittingon50
05-20-2016, 09:12 AM
As the little dead girl in "The Sixth Sense" said:

"I'm feeling better."

Have a great day, 62!

And Blah (my twin brother from another mother), I know for a fact you haven't resembled Twiggy for a long time!!

O.K. Guilty. Back to the topic.

I assume Rui has been ballin' with some of the guys. Anyone heard anything at all?

gonzagafan62
05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
As the little dead girl in "The Sixth Sense" said:

"I'm feeling better."

Have a great day, 62!

And Blah (my twin brother from another mother), I know for a fact you haven't resembled Twiggy for a long time!!

O.K. Guilty. Back to the topic.

I assume Rui has been ballin' with some of the guys. Anyone heard anything at all?

You have a great day also! :)

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Really looking forward to watching Hachimura and seeing how (and when) yet another relatively unknown international recruit of Tommy Lloyd's steps into the national spotlight of D1 hoops. Seems like the Zags will have an abundance of riches at the 3 with Rui and Kispert. Nice

raise the zag
06-26-2016, 07:20 AM
I recently heard Rui has been doing incredibly well in his limited scrimmages. Language/terminology has been an issue, yet his natural ability is shining through.

He's been deferring quite a bit, yet has already proven to be one of the best offensive rebounders on the team -- and apparently -- maybe surprisingly, one of the better shooters. From long range too. Keep in mind, he's an offensive rebounder, not a defensive rebounder…yet.

He has a nose for the ball around the rim, puts-back anything around him, finds a way to tip, rebound, put-back on missed shots. He's also knocking down a high % of his shots from deep.

Still getting used to the physical defense, speed, and language. Not running any offense, but just filling in the blanks with his ability.

One could sense the excitement when speaking about him.

I guess he's in English language courses all Summer. For credits too.

Personally, I was expecting him to RS given language barrier, learning the US game, yet his natural skills may help the team right away.

Can play Combo-Forward and if he's already scoring put backs, transition points, and shooting very well (which I found a pleasant surprise). Rui/Louis knows how to seal his man, cut to the hoop, and put himself in position to keep plays alive. And he's 6'7".

If pre-season goes well in terms of learning the game, I could see him in the rotation, maybe at Wing (behind Mathews) and/or PF (behind JWIII).

We have SO many new faces learning this season. The "ramp up" period will be slower compared to past years. Coach Few addressed this as well, they won't be able to 'hit the ground running' in practice. Larsen, Collins(accelerated), Tillie, Hachimura, Mathews, et al need to learn the offense and bazillion sets.

cggonzaga
06-26-2016, 09:04 AM
I have heard this as well RTF. His athleticism is off the charts. He's also been doing this against the alums which is very impressive. He supposedly ended one game with a monster dunk on Austin Daye I believe it was.

Kiddwell
06-26-2016, 09:59 AM
:drool: Rui, Rui, Rui! :drool:

:]

Baseline
06-26-2016, 11:25 AM
The word on Rui is most exciting, he could be the coming year X-man. It sounds like the coaches has found another gem few had heard of. It sure sounds like he could play the 3 or 4, especially when they want to play small and fast.

So much talent and we have yet to see Tille, Larson or Chicago Zach.
Tille looked great in the 3 ball competition in Europe except he was very thin, but the last picture of him looked like he has added muscle, so he could be a surprise. Tille also shoots the 3 well, so I don't think this years team will have ny shooting problems with KW and DS leaving.

Few has a high-class problem in figuring out floor minutes!

zagsfanforlife
06-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Not to get ahead of myself but i wonder how he compares to Elias when Elias came in. Very unknown, but kinda made yourself ask, "How the h3ll did we get this kid??, Contributed with a very good skill set right out of the gate with toughness and athletic ability. Does Rui have the skills that Elias came in with? If so, you add a freshman talent like that to the other 2 known stud fresh and Perk, NWG, JWIII, Karno, Mathews and this team is SPECIAL.

Mantua
06-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Not to get ahead of myself but i wonder how he compares to Elias when Elias came in. Very unknown, but kinda made yourself ask, "How the h3ll did we get this kid??, Contributed with a very good skill set right out of the gate with toughness and athletic ability. Does Rui have the skills that Elias came in with? If so, you add a freshman talent like that to the other 2 known stud fresh and Perk, NWG, JWIII, Karno, Mathews and this team is SPECIAL.

This team is going to be like Christmas in July, August, September, October with everyone marveling over all kinds of unwrapped toys and dreaming about about the still wrapped enticing boxes.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Dude, I was literally going to post the same thing; from the description he sounds like Elias

sittingon50
06-26-2016, 07:36 PM
IIRC Elias was nearly 20 when he arrived.

And I venture to guess that he had been playing against better competition.

cggonzaga
06-26-2016, 07:41 PM

Funny you say that. I thought like he looked like Harris with more potential. Made this comment to some people that watched him play last week and they said that's pretty spot on.

Coach Crazy
06-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Funny you say that. I thought like he looked like Harris with more potential. Made this comment to some people that watched him play last week and they said that's pretty spot on.

While he doesn't remind me Elias, we are getting some very different people seeing something special or with the potential for such. That can be a confirmation of indicators or we're all just really wrong.

I haven't been sparing of words on my thoughts about his game. I see mannerisms, form, physical makeup, and skill that tells me this kid could end up as a special talent.

While he won't get "freshman Elias" minutes, if he puts up anywhere near the same kind of efficiency....goodness gracious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagdawg
07-13-2016, 01:22 PM
#8 in the 2018 Draft? has some high expectations

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Zags_Fanatic
07-13-2016, 01:29 PM

?!?!?!?!? Was not expecting that at all. I know nbadraft.net is questionable, but I can't imagine Rui going 22 spots ahead of Collins.

Mantua
07-13-2016, 02:01 PM
We'll see, but that's surprising.

One and done?

Coach Crazy
07-13-2016, 02:08 PM
?!?!?!?!? Was not expecting that at all. I know nbadraft.net is questionable, but I can't imagine Rui going 22 spots ahead of Collins.

He won't go 22 sport ahead of Zach. But regardless, we are seeing what some others outside Gonzaga circles think of Rui. If he does enough to get drafted by 2018, then "Warp Speed, Mr. Sulu". We're going to see the potential for another major jump in Gonzaga recruiting and on-court success.

nish_mode
07-13-2016, 02:29 PM
We'll see, but that's surprising.

One and done?

It's the 2018 mock...2 and done....

tyra
07-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Who knows where or even if Hachimura will go in the '18 draft, but it does make me wonder about his playing time for this year. If there is anything to this assessment of his talent, seems like he is unlikely to either redshirt or just ride the pine this year.

webspinnre
07-13-2016, 03:07 PM

I'm no expert, but I seem to remember this site not being particularly reliable.

gonzagafan62
07-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Hachimuras star taking off:

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/news/hachimura's-star-is-taking-off

Maybe we got something a lot more than we thought

cggonzaga
07-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Some have talked about his immense talent since before he committed.

He won't go 22 sport ahead of Zach.

You forgot to insert "I believe". I know this may come as a surprise to you but your word isn't gospel.

Coach Crazy
07-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Some have talked about his immense talent since before he committed.

You forgot to insert "I believe". I know this may come as a surprise to you but your word isn't gospel.

I don't remember saying that it was. There are going to be times when I will be wrong. You're free to disagree with my statements, but I will keep making them. If it makes you feel better to insert "I believe" into your own statements, then that is probably something you should do. Or don't. They are your posts. If I do not feel the need to use it, then it probably won't make it into my post.

But as I was stating before he won't go 22 spots ahead of Rui. Unless some very "not good" things happen with Zach. Zach is likely to be a lottery pick either after this year or any of the years following. He's that good.

zagsfanforlife
07-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Regardless of what you think of NBAdraft.net (I think they are decent), they arent just pulling these names out of a hat and putting them in their mock draft. #8 overall means someone, or some people are giving them credible information as to the prospects of Rui. I know some have spoken about potential of the kid, but to me this pretty much guarantees no redshirt for this upcoming year + significant playing time. Now if draftexpress.com starts saying similar things----- I am going to be expecting a final four next year and will be disappointed with anything less.

Very very excited to watch such a talented group of freshman.

zagsfanforlife
07-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Although draftexpress.com has Larsen as the 25th best international player of his class.. so now i may have a heart attack from excitement.

Bogozags
07-13-2016, 05:10 PM
If I was Rui after seeing this thread as well as being the projected NBA #8 draft choice, I'd go straight into Coach Few's office and "demand" to start!

zagamatic
07-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Between Rui, Matthews and Norvell I'm actually feeling pretty good about the 3 spot this year. If Karnowski can get back to near full strength by Christmas, this team has some serious potential

thespywhozaggedme
07-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Hachimuras star taking off:

http://www.fiba.com/olympics/2016/news/hachimura's-star-is-taking-off

That article was written almost a year ago.

cggonzaga
07-13-2016, 08:21 PM
I don't remember saying that it was. There are going to be times when I will be wrong. You're free to disagree with my statements, but I will keep making them. If it makes you feel better to insert "I believe" into your own statements, then that is probably something you should do. Or don't. They are your posts. If I do not feel the need to use it, then it probably won't make it into my post.

But as I was stating before he won't go 22 spots ahead of Rui. Unless some very "not good" things happen with Zach. Zach is likely to be a lottery pick either after this year or any of the years following. He's that good.

It's just that you make statements as fact when they're indeed not fact. I can't recall many of your factual statements that turned out to be right. Hence my statement on you believing you're right about everything you say. You have no clue what's going to happen tomorrow let alone 2 years from now. Just an recommendation that I'm sure you won't heed.

As for Rui, I believe he has the potential to be a top 10 pick someday. Same for Collins.

gonzagafan62
07-13-2016, 08:56 PM
That article was written almost a year ago.

That's not the point spy

Coach Crazy
07-14-2016, 07:41 AM
It's just that you make statements as fact when they're indeed not fact. I can't recall many of your factual statements that turned out to be right. Hence my statement on you believing you're right about everything you say. You have no clue what's going to happen tomorrow let alone 2 years from now. Just an recommendation that I'm sure you won't heed.

As for Rui, I believe he has the potential to be a top 10 pick someday. Same for Collins.

Ok, my approach is likely to continue. You're free to place me on "ignore", if you'd like. I'd prefer to talk about GU basketball, at this point.

cggonzaga
07-14-2016, 01:30 PM
Ok, my approach is likely to continue. You're free to place me on "ignore", if you'd like. I'd prefer to talk about GU basketball, at this point.

I'm not petty enough to "ignore" somebody. I may not agree with you on many different items but I hope you wouldn't take it personal as I don't take anything personal directed at me. I enjoy reading different opinions than mine. Statements made as fact without facts to back up an opinion is just a pet peeve of mine.

sittingon50
07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm not petty enough to "ignore" somebody. I may not agree with you on many different items but I hope you wouldn't take it personal as I don't take anything personal directed at me. I enjoy reading different opinions than mine. Statements made as fact without facts to back up an opinion is just a pet peeve of mine.

You suck, cg!

;)

cggonzaga
07-14-2016, 05:31 PM
You suck, cg!

;)

Now that one I did take personal!

sittingon50
07-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Now that one I did take personal!

Yeah, I knew you were just blowing smoke!!

;)

Hooray4Daye&Gray
07-21-2016, 08:16 AM
He won't be the leading scorer or anything, but I'm going to optimistically select Rui as the most impactful player of the year. Not the best player, but the player of the most need.

Can he play the 3 tho? Yes.

Byron Wesley was a great pickup that took us over the top. Kyle Dranginis proved to be a rock solid starter. Hopefully Rui is next in line at a position of need to step up.

He's my pick for Tommy's gem of the year, and I don't think we even realize yet just how thankful we'll be that he was able to become eligible for the upcoming season.

Agree with the above lineup as the beginning of the season starting 5.

My end of the season starting 5 is:

PG - Nigel Williams-Goss
SG - Jordan Mathews
SF - Rui Hacimura
PF - Zach Collins
C - Przemek Karnowski

Would be a crazy story to once again go deep into the NCAA Tournament, but with 5 different faces than last year in the starting lineup graphic.

^^This guy may be on to something.^^

scrooner
07-21-2016, 08:30 AM
When someone makes a statement about something that 'will happen' in the future, it's already implied that it's their opinion and not a fact. There's no need to put 'I believe' or 'I think' in front of such statements.

Reborn
07-21-2016, 09:45 AM
very interesting starting line up. I believe, however that Josh Perkins will be a starter. Josh has come a long ways, and he knows exactly what Few wants and needs. Josh is a dang good point guard. I also don't count out Silas Melson. These are two guys who have lots of experience in Few's system, and I think Silas will play a key role on next years team. Both Silas and Josh are really good defensive players and good rebounders. I know that the practices next year are going to really tough.

Zagdawg
07-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Only thing that might impact this is the language barrier-- but even in the scrimmages --he had a translator there -- they were going through flash cards as he got his gear on (shoes) for the scrimmage.

tinfoilzag
07-21-2016, 09:47 AM
When someone makes a statement about something that 'will happen' in the future, it's already implied that it's their opinion and not a fact. There's no need to put 'I believe' or 'I think' in front of such statements.

I believe I will die in the future. Fact?

Back on topic:

IMO, this team needs to have a 10-man rotation in league games. Transfers, high-level recruits, and veterans all expect playing time. Few is going to have to set expectations early in the season to keep everyone relatively happy with a limited role and working together towards the common goal of a deep tourney run. Game time in league games where we are heavily favored is a way to do this but Few has not expanded much past an 8-man rotation even when the win was a foregone conclusion. It's going to be a balance act between winning by 20+and getting talent on the floor. The new guys turn over the ball more and might be out of position more but they need the minutes mid-season to bring out their potential late season and even into next year.

I'm curious to see if Few can continue to expand his skill set as a coach. We know he can win games. Can he win games while getting the most of those minutes? Can Few win AND get Rui and Norvell meaningful minutes?

Reborn
07-21-2016, 09:51 AM
I want to thank all of you for keeping us informed about Hacimura's game. I didn't know anything about him, and really wasn't anticipating that he's going to be as good as you all think he will be. This is an awesome story. When the summer began I really felt that the Zags would be vulnerable at the small forward position. I can see that that is no longer a problem. Great news. This team will be awesome to watch. They may be slow out of the gates like last years team, but because we will be stronger at the guard positions I think the team will have a better start than last years team. Josh had a lot to learn, and he is now very experienced and so will be the other guards. Afterall, it all starts with the guard play.

Coach Crazy
07-21-2016, 09:51 AM
very interesting starting line up. I believe, however that Josh Perkins will be a starter. Josh has come a long ways, and he knows exactly what Few wants and needs. Josh is a dang good point guard. I also don't count out Silas Melson. These are two guys who have lots of experience in Few's system, and I think Silas will play a key role on next years team. Both Silas and Josh are really good defensive players and good rebounders. I know that the practices next year are going to really tough.

Josh has worked hard. No doubt. I don't think anyone can question the fight in this kid. It's not a great sign that Silas is inconsistent in scrimmages. He may very well fight out of that, it's just not encouraging. He very well may just not be in a system that promotes the kind of player he is. We'll see how he does as the regular season progresses. It also sounds like NWG is going to make a nice floor general. He and Josh have the potential to be a nice tandem.

Coach Crazy
07-21-2016, 09:56 AM
I believe I will die in the future. Fact?

Back on topic:

IMO, this team needs to have a 10-man rotation in league games. Transfers, high-level recruits, and veterans all expect playing time. Few is going to have to set expectations early in the season to keep everyone relatively happy with a limited role and working together towards the common goal of a deep tourney run. Game time in league games where we are heavily favored is a way to do this but Few has not expanded much past an 8-man rotation even when the win was a foregone conclusion. It's going to be a balance act between winning by 20+and getting talent on the floor. The new guys turn over the ball more and might be out of position more but they need the minutes mid-season to bring out their potential late season and even into next year.

I'm curious to see if Few can continue to expand his skill set as a coach. We know he can win games. Can he win games while getting the most of those minutes? Can Few win AND get Rui and Norvell meaningful minutes?

A 10-man always seems like such an awesome concept, if you have the talent. Unfortunately, any talk of deep rotations seems to go in the direction of 7-8 man rotations. And as much as people don't like Coach Cal, he has shown the ability to bring in a lot of talent, get them to buy into limited minutes, get wins, and get them drafted. That should be part of the Gonzaga, at some point.

As far as Coach Few, I feel like he and the coaching staff have tried to improve their coaching and recruiting. They have adapted without completely abandoning the style that has been the outlet for his coaching style. Can they win with Rui and Norvell getting meaningful minutes? Yes. Very much. I am very high on both. We're dealing with types of recruits we haven't either seen much of, or at all.

Reborn
07-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Josh has worked hard. No doubt. I don't think anyone can question the fight in this kid. It's not a great sign that Silas is inconsistent in scrimmages. He may very well fight out of that, it's just not encouraging. He very well may just not be in a system that promotes the kind of player he is. We'll see how he does as the regular season progresses. It also sounds like NWG is going to make a nice floor general. He and Josh have the potential to be a nice tandem.

Nice post, Coach. I agree about Josh and NWG. They are going to be exciting to watch. Another great combination of great guards. They may be even better than Pongos and Bell. One big difference between the TEAM next year and Bell's and Pongos' team is that the team next year is loaded with talent. The bench during Pangos' and Bells' was quite thin, and so much was expected of them. We are sooo loaded next year.

Zagdawg
07-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Quote from 2014 "But he needs to expand his flexibility to match the potential of the talent he recruits."

I think Few is taking care of business with his players and melding them into a functioning team -- Elite 8/Sweet 16 since the quote above.

I am thinking that Few is doing fine with the talent he is bringing in-- the international language differences do come into play-- but he has done a great job getting the job done despite the challenges.

The Josh/NWG tandem is going to be outstanding ---- how would you like to be the opposing coach -- which one do you put your defensive "stopper" on?

Mr Vulture
07-21-2016, 10:17 AM
I know you love Collins but I just can't see him being a lottery pick after this year and I can't tell you how highly I doubt he turns pro after this year either. The guy isn't even on the radar for next years first round, according to the experts I've read, and its supposed to be a very good draft to boot. I think Collins will be very good but I fully expect 2 or 3 years at GU for him.

kitzbuel
07-21-2016, 10:21 AM
I remember when we started our rivalry with Memphis and they had CDR and Dorsey and couple other long, athletic wings. I thought that was the missing component on our team at the time and what really kept us from stepping up a level. I thought there was no way GU could ever recruit players like that. Players like that are desperately sought after by every top school.

GU is now reeling them in.

maynard g krebs
07-21-2016, 12:04 PM
^^This guy may be on to something.^^

Not a chance, in my opinion of course. Only thing that takes Perkins out of the starting lineup is injury. Perkins/NWG is exactly the kind of backcourt pair Few has favored forever, going back to Hall/Santangelo and Dickau/Stepp. Two guys on the floor together that are both capable of being floor generals.

Collins also comes off the bench, like Adam Morrison and Austin Daye did as fr. In my opinion, of course.

Reborn
07-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Bouldin/Gray.....Raivio/Stepp....

Coach Crazy
07-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Not a chance, in my opinion of course. Only thing that takes Perkins out of the starting lineup is injury. Perkins/NWG is exactly the kind of backcourt pair Few has favored forever, going back to Hall/Santangelo and Dickau/Stepp. Two guys on the floor together that are both capable of being floor generals.

Collins also comes off the bench, like Adam Morrison and Austin Daye did as fr. In my opinion, of course.

Indeed.

Reborn
07-21-2016, 02:28 PM
What I like about this team and the fantastic recruiting that Mark Few and Tommy and staff have done is that they have recruited a group of guys that just may help the '16-'17 Zags make it to at least three years in a row. In 14-15 the Zags made it to the Elite 8 and in 15-16 they made it to the Sweet 16 (and what a wonderful surprise it was, especially with Karnowski out). So far Few has put together teams (or is it three) that have made it to at least the Sweet 16 twice.

Next year the Zags could break that record and once more make it to at least the Sweet Sixteen. To me this is a very special team because it's so talented, and also so very experienced. Can Few and his staff bring all this talent together and produce a team that makes it to the Final 4? I believe so. The coaching staff, for the most part, have been able to produce teams that have excellent chemistry. It took a long time last year, but in the end the team did it once again, and did it in a big way. We have talked about finally having players at the small forward (or three) who will be dynamite. I can hardly wait to see them. But we have not talked enough about the players we have at the four, and especially Williams III. I think he is going to be a special player that we will love....and Collins will be is sub. That is deep at the four. I have wanted to see a player like Williams III for a long time. To have a good defensive player and power rebounder at the four will definitely be a treat for me.

seacatfan
07-22-2016, 07:13 AM
A 10-man always seems like such an awesome concept, if you have the talent. Unfortunately, any talk of deep rotations seems to go in the direction of 7-8 man rotations.

Spot on. The vast majority of college programs use the 7-8 man rotation. Any players used beyond that are getting mop up minutes. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

Coach Crazy
07-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Spot on. The vast majority of college programs use the 7-8 man rotation. Any players used beyond that are getting mop up minutes. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

I think it is possible, it just takes some fine tuning. You've got to convince the kids that they are going to be better off playing sub-20 mpg, and that they will be able to impress NBA scouts with killer advanced analytics. And then you have to create a system that provides for that balance (which I believe is possible in Coach Few's system). I wouldn't be against Mark going that route. I just don't know how it would affect recruiting. If it conflicts with getting the kids we are, now? Might be better to build up the repertoire, first. Always easier to sell something once you're in the club.

Zagdawg
07-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB 3h3 hours ago
Rui Hachimura will be rockin' #21 this season. Welcome to the fam Rui! ����

hooter73
07-23-2016, 08:17 PM
I know they all pick a number but me thinks this means no red shirt...

sittingon50
07-23-2016, 10:31 PM
:confused:

exclusivelee
07-25-2016, 09:14 AM
I know they all pick a number but me thinks this means no red shirt...

Hachimura has said that he intends to play as a true freshman (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/05/11/basketball/hachimura-cleared-to-enroll-at-gonzaga/#.V5ZF5MtlDqD). It's the player's choice, but perhaps he will change his mind before the first regular season game & all the full team practices

Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB 3h3 hours ago
Rui Hachimura will be rockin' #21 this season. Welcome to the fam Rui! 🔵🔴

6'8"!!!

http://i.imgur.com/t3Ut2vX.jpg

exclusivelee
08-11-2016, 01:22 PM
NBADraft.net updated 2018 mock draft (Aug. 8)

#13 Hachimura (was #8)
#37 Collins (was #31)

TheGonzagaFactor
08-12-2016, 06:36 AM

#13 Hachimura (was #8)
#37 Collins (was #31)

OH NO, THEY'RE BOTH BUSTS?!? :lmao:

willandi
08-12-2016, 07:11 AM

#13 Hachimura (was #8)
#37 Collins (was #31)

OH NO, THEY'RE BOTH BUSTS?!? :lmao:

I was thinking (not the best for Gonzaga to be sure), declare for the draft now...don't take the chance that playing in college will show the pundits to be wrong, and then, when not drafted, sue the pants off the idiots! Maybe then they will learn to actually use some data before making absurd statements.

I'm not saying they won't both be great players, but Rui, in particular, hasn't seen enough high level competition, consistently, to make a full and fair evaluation of him.

I hope he becomes the wing that the Zags have been looking for, spends four years and leaves on the all time lists of scorers, rebounders, games played etc., and with 2 NC rings!

Coach Crazy
08-12-2016, 10:20 AM
I was thinking (not the best for Gonzaga to be sure), declare for the draft now...don't take the chance that playing in college will show the pundits to be wrong, and then, when not drafted, sue the pants off the idiots! Maybe then they will learn to actually use some data before making absurd statements.

I'm not saying they won't both be great players, but Rui, in particular, hasn't seen enough high level competition, consistently, to make a full and fair evaluation of him.

I hope he becomes the wing that the Zags have been looking for, spends four years and leaves on the all time lists of scorers, rebounders, games played etc., and with 2 NC rings!

It's better for this program if he is an early entry, like Sabonis. But I'll take the part about him getting 2 rings.

willandi
08-12-2016, 01:47 PM
It's better for this program if he is an early entry, like Sabonis. But I'll take the part about him getting 2 rings.

Did you miss the part about him declaring now so his stock doesn't go down by actually playing? It was another of those darn tongue in cheek posts that I do.

Zagdawg
09-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 53m53 minutes ago
Ira Brown talks Japanese National Team & the special abilities Rui Hachimura brings to Gonzaga @Louis_8mura #八村塁

"Working out with Japan’s future:

Meanwhile, Brown said he worked out with Japanese native Rui Hachimura, who has joined the Gonzaga University Bulldogs basketball team this year, in the U.S. this summer.

It was the first time the two met in person, but Brown was impressed with how gifted the kid from Toyama Prefecture was as they practiced together.

“In my opinion, he’s going be an extremely special player,” Brown said of Hachimura, a versatile, 203-cm forward. “I mean, he can shoot the 3, he can penetrate, (he’s) very long and athletic. So the sky’s the limit for him. He’s got a pretty good work ethic.”

Brown added that it was also the right choice for Hachimura, who led Sendai’s Meisei High School to the Winter Cup national championship titles for three straight years, to select Gonzaga.

Brown said by playing in the Zags’ program, Hachimura would be forced to become better because he’d learn the game mentally, not just physically.

“He’s going to play against some big, big guys. So they are going to push him to his limits,” Brown said. “He won’t be the best player as he was here in Japan. He’s going to have to force himself to adjust to American style of basketball.”

Brown thinks that Hachimura would eventually be “an NBA draft prospect.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/09/05/basketball/japanese-men-search-ways-improve/#.V82SIpgrJ8K

JPtheBeasta
09-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Did you miss the part about him declaring now so his stock doesn't go down by actually playing? It was another of those darn tongue in cheek posts that I do.

It's not a bad idea ;)

I feel like Jadeveon Clowney took his junior year off in football after one amazing tackle his sophomore year and earned a top 3 pick. The sky's the limit for Hachimura if he just stays disciplined and doesn't play.

nish_mode
09-05-2016, 09:11 AM
MJ Mondays. :000tens:

https://instagram.com/p/BJ9Yr4mjbP3/

ZagNative
09-05-2016, 10:49 AM
1gThanks for posting the link to and part of the Japan Times story, ZagDawg! Good read!

MDABE80
09-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Easy to see why Rui's already on the NBA draft board. BIG kid, soft touch, a leaper and all basketball skills coming along quickly. Superior athlete..

zagsfanforlife
09-05-2016, 08:38 PM
MJ Mondays. :000tens:

https://instagram.com/p/BJ9Yr4mjbP3/

Jesus. Thats not easy to do.

kitzbuel
09-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru 53m53 minutes ago
Ira Brown talks Japanese National Team & the special abilities Rui Hachimura brings to Gonzaga @Louis_8mura #八村塁

"Working out with Japan’s future:

Meanwhile, Brown said he worked out with Japanese native Rui Hachimura, who has joined the Gonzaga University Bulldogs basketball team this year, in the U.S. this summer.

It was the first time the two met in person, but Brown was impressed with how gifted the kid from Toyama Prefecture was as they practiced together.

“In my opinion, he’s going be an extremely special player,” Brown said of Hachimura, a versatile, 203-cm forward. “I mean, he can shoot the 3, he can penetrate, (he’s) very long and athletic. So the sky’s the limit for him. He’s got a pretty good work ethic.”

Brown added that it was also the right choice for Hachimura, who led Sendai’s Meisei High School to the Winter Cup national championship titles for three straight years, to select Gonzaga.

Brown said by playing in the Zags’ program, Hachimura would be forced to become better because he’d learn the game mentally, not just physically.

“He’s going to play against some big, big guys. So they are going to push him to his limits,” Brown said. “He won’t be the best player as he was here in Japan. He’s going to have to force himself to adjust to American style of basketball.”

Brown thinks that Hachimura would eventually be “an NBA draft prospect.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/09/05/basketball/japanese-men-search-ways-improve/#.V82SIpgrJ8K
Sounds like Ira is on track to coach.

cjm720
09-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Jesus. Thats not easy to do.

And doesn't it look like he's only going 70%? Pretty smooth and impressive.

DixieZag
09-06-2016, 03:37 PM

#13 Hachimura (was #8)
#37 Collins (was #31)

Really?

So, as of right now, we've got one projected lottery pick and it's Hachimura?

I guess I'm not altogether up to date on much.

basketballzag
09-06-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Hachimura play. I've heard some really good things about some of the skills he has on the court.