PDA

View Full Version : Romar recruits the entire family!!

MDABE80
05-08-2016, 07:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/washington-adds-top-recruit-s-father-to-its-coaching-staff-035952481.html

willandi
05-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Somehow, even though they point out that he has been good friends with Porter for years, it just seems sleazy. He could have brought him in earlier, but to wait until the two sons are committing, it just feels contrived.

exclusivelee
05-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Porter actually declined last year when offered the job from Romar. He has 2 daughters who were playing for him at Missouri

MDABE80
05-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Looks bad though.......sorta like other times in other programs when Dad's given a job an the kid signs up. No matter how big the prizes, we usually beat em. Two 6 ft 8 in dandies in the fold.

23dpg
05-09-2016, 08:33 AM
This has been going on for years. Yes, Romar has known this guy for decades, they're friends. But would he have offered him the job if he did t have 2 sons who are top recruits? Very doubtful. There's not a lot of women's assistants coaches who get hired for men's teams.

This is not a Romar issue though, it's an NCAA issue. A lot of AAU coaches make a "living" off their players.

Mr Vulture
05-09-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't really see this as a big deal this time. Of course, the timing looks iffy, but it's not like he hasn't known the guy for 30 years. Also, as pointed out above, there were extenuating reasons why he didn't come last year. This one is a non story to me...especially since Porter Sr. was an assistant basketball coach already (granted womens).

MDABE80
05-09-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure what the father's credentials are to merit this job. Lee may know. Thinking that the dad and Romar my be friends forever and the kids might want to go to UW. But why the job for the dad? He must have some major bona fides.