PDA

View Full Version : SI Article - Stay or go? Gonzaga senior Przemek Karnowski

hockeyzag
05-06-2016, 07:33 AM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/05/06/gonzaga-bulldogs-przemek-karnowski-nba-draft

Please stay!

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
05-06-2016, 07:42 AM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/05/06/gonzaga-bulldogs-przemek-karnowski-nba-draft

Please stay!

it seems very simple to me; if he can get paid, he should get paid. However, Europeans team do not (as a rule) hire people to sit on their bench and rehab. NBA is not going to happen this year and D-league is worse option than NCAA. If he could get paid, i would encourage him to do so. However, this might be one of the few times where a Senior is better off at Gonzaga where he can get treatment (basically "free" medical) and get back in shape. From what I am understanding he is not going to be in game shape until January anyway . . . (last sentence based upon speculation, not information)

Ezag
05-06-2016, 10:00 AM
This tells me he should stay unless Europe is a-callin':

Mock Draft rankings: SI (first round only): Unranked; Draft Express: Unranked; NBAdraft.net: Unranked

MDABE80
05-06-2016, 11:13 AM
It's the same veridct. He can go but nobody will trust his back. He's not in the NBA draft. Europe maybe but still the concerns remain.
IF ( it's a big IF) he returns here, he can prove himself ready to go and have a very good season. All of this depends on how his back is doing.
I hope he does return but only if he's healthy.

gonzagafan62
05-06-2016, 11:48 AM
This is the one time id say to stay hen someone has their degree and is a prime talent like karnowski. Just come back to Zaga and show you can do it, and you'll be rewarded your cash. If it wasn't a back injury I'd be saying go but not many places will pay big money for a risk like he is now. He's got the talent for sure and his degree but seems like he needs to stay. Ugh. I feel sorry for Mt. karnowski

75Zag
05-06-2016, 12:10 PM
If Karno has options to go to Europe or the NBA and be paid immediately he should do so, but if not, I welcome his decision to stay at GU. Even if he is unable to play basketball while trying to rehab his back, he can use his scholarship to gain a BA or BS degree from a well respected US university and (hopefully) make his life better either as an athlete or in some other capacity as he moves forward with his life. I thank him for his service to GU, and wish him well in all his future efforts regardless of whether he is playing BB or not.

Go Bulldogs!

DukeSilver
05-06-2016, 12:21 PM
This may seem like splitting hairs, but I don't think this should be viewed so simply as: if there's an offer, go; if not, stay. There's more gray area than that, and it's been addressed previously.

There are basically three possible outcomes. (1) His injury is career-ending. The outcome of this scenario is obvious, he will finish his degree and move on with his life. A degree from GU should leave him with plenty of career options. (2) The injury is not career-ending, but is likely to be dramatically career-shortening. THIS is the scenario in which he should take whatever offer is currently on the table, and use the short window of time in which he can play professionally to earn as much as possible before having to pursue a less physically straining career path. (3) The injury will not affect his career longevity at all. In this scenario, it may very well be the case that returning to GU is the smartest thing for him to do, as playing an additional year in college could help to increase his market value, either as an NBA prospect (unlikely at this point) or as a high-level player in Europe (very likely).

No way to tell, at this point, how the injury will affect him long term. I sincerely hope he returns to GU, as much for the indication that the injury won't be a long-term concern as for the chance to watch him don a Zags jersey for another year.

Bogozags
05-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Am hoping he heals and retains his mobility. Sure want him to live a normal, happy and prospoous life.

With regards to ball, if he recuperates and can play without pain this fall/winter, then he would need to rehab and GU would be an ideal location to work himself back into shape. With the draft already over, it is unlikely that any NBA team would pick him up as a free agent without him being able to display his abilities. The "D-League" could be an option but there is little coaching and they play a lot of one-on-one, just like the summer league.

I believe he might be better suited to return to GU, where "family" will surround him.

DixieZag
05-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Someone here reasoned that, because the Euro teams are not at an NBA or even NCAA level in providing follow-up medical rehab, the fact that he could get elite, free, medical rehab at Gonzaga ought to play a huge role in his decision, if not "the" role (depending on where he is in rehab0. I thought that made a ton of sense.

If he is not fully healthy by mid-summer, I think it would be a mistake to move on without some assurances of medical follow up at the level he'd get here.

MontanaCoyote
05-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Clearly we all agree that Shemmick must do what's best for him, but what a decision to make! .........with no guarantees either way. No advice from this corner. Just support and best wishes to my favorite player since Elgin Baylor.

Zagger
05-07-2016, 04:19 AM
Final verdict: Without knowing the details of Karnowski’s health and what he wants and needs at this point in his life, it’s pretty hard to say. We wish him the best.

Yep, guess work + time tends to change things. However, GU's rep regarding bigs & the NBA has some shine to it. Why not stay another year at a school Shemmick feels right at home at and give the NBA stage GU offers another good go. Europe's not going away. Get healthy AND get exposure @ GU. I see it as a win/win situation for Shemmick.

Zagceo
05-07-2016, 11:04 AM
It's Przemek.......is it really that hard to remember after 4 years?

Zagsker
05-07-2016, 01:27 PM

LEAVE BRITTNEE ALONE!!!!!!!!

raise the zag
05-07-2016, 01:59 PM
He should stay. Whether he plays a half yr or not, he's not going to receive a year of much-needed therapy, rehab, treatment, conditioning for free. He's still a half a year away. Euro-clubs will make him pay his own course of treatment.

He may or may not play again, yet his long term health is best situated by staying.

Not to mention a graduate degree & more available to him.

Gonzaga would be patient & coddle his rehabilitation.

Only decision that's a win-win, even tho I heard otherwise.

Mantua
05-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Is the diminutive "Przem" or "Shem"?

gu03alum
05-07-2016, 07:30 PM
That article was dumb.

Zagger
05-08-2016, 05:50 AM

With the P or the S (Shem, Shemmick) - the last two are kinda/sorta nicknames - not fans trying to spell his first name. Same as Dontmiss - only Dontmiss serves two purposes. I like Przemek just fine (I'm Polish too) but whenever I see it my brain thinks Premix Concrete instead of Mt. K. I've asked around about brain transplants but get pretty curious looks :)

ProVeeZag
05-08-2016, 02:24 PM
With the P or the S (Shem, Shemmick) - the last two are kinda/sorta nicknames - not fans trying to spell his first name. Same as Dontmiss - only Dontmiss serves two purposes. I like Przemek just fine (I'm Polish too) but whenever I see it my brain thinks Premix Concrete instead of Mt. K. I've asked around about brain transplants but get pretty curious looks :)

"PreMix" could be a cool nickname ... as in, "the glass is cleared by PreMix" or "PreMix with the 2-hand throwdown". Rolls off the tongue a lot easier than Karnowski. Huddy would have fun with this!

GrizZAG
05-09-2016, 06:41 PM
That article was dumb.

It was indeed

cjm720
05-09-2016, 08:15 PM
If Karno comes back but the back isn't ready to go, would he be eligible to play in 2017/2018 also? In another words, can a player get six years of scholarships for four years of play?