PDA

View Full Version : Zags too far away for the Big East expansion? Marquette student thinks so.

MDABE80
04-15-2016, 01:13 PM
http://marquettewire.org/3947383/sports/goods-coast-to-coast-big-east-wouldnt-work/

Just the truth of it. Hate it..... but this kid really spells it out. I wonder why this is a topic of conern though. In a student newspaper way far away, it's curious that this would come to mind.

soccerdud
04-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Meh. Gonzaga isn't a "clear mid major", though. He downgrades what Gonzaga is. Gonzaga is better than Marquette, both as a brand and as program. Thank you for posting this article, though. I should get it printed on custom toilet paper, so the next time I have diarrhea...I'll have the appropriate material.

that's clearly not what he's saying. he is saying the OTHER teams that would be considered in an effort to get us in are clearly mid-major. in the paragraph after pooh-pooh'ing the "clear mid-majors" he says that gonzaga would "fit the BIG EAST perfectly."

jazzdelmar
04-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Big picture and over the years, Marquette and Gonzaga are actually pretty close with respect to prestige of brand and program. Zags are in the ascendance now but Warriors have had some great years such as with Al and Clappy, and many many NBA stars.

Zag_Dad
04-15-2016, 02:35 PM
that's clearly not what he's saying. he is saying the OTHER teams that would be considered in an effort to get us in are clearly mid-major. in the paragraph after pooh-pooh'ing the "clear mid-majors" he says that gonzaga would "fit the BIG EAST perfectly."

I agree.. I think Coach Crazy mis-read the story. It appeared to me the "clearly mid-major" reference was about the other teams involved in discussions about a Big East west coast expansion. I guess Coach Crazy will have to stick with Charmin TP.

Hoopaholic
04-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Big picture and over the years, Marquette and Gonzaga are actually pretty close with respect to prestige of brand and program. Zags are in the ascendance now but Warriors have had some great years such as with Al and Clappy, and many many NBA stars.

Wow now those memories bring a smile to my face....

TheGonzagaFactor
04-18-2016, 07:10 AM
Zags to Big East will be brought up as click bait as long as we're in the WCC and nationally relevant.

It's just not reasonable in any way.

1. Travel would be ridiculous. Road trips every year to St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul... Not worth it, especially if we have to bring an undeserving WCC member like SMC to have a travel partner.

2. Bad years would be REALLY REALLY bad - as in, not even make the CBI bad. Imagine this year's team, or 2014, 2011, 2007 etc... without the cakewalk of WCC play to right the ship. Oh, just lost at home to a team in the 80s for RPI? Now you get to go to the East Coast and play Villanova+Providence instead of scrub squads USF/Santa Clara (both of which were still very nearly losses this season). A couple 6-14 conference seasons and we'd be pining for the WCC. Show me a west coast NCAA team that has made multiple trips to the East Coast and had a successful season. Our 06-07 team was very good but fell apart after 3 trips out East - and of course things got worse with Heytvelt's trip to Cheney.

2a. Two divisions = less travel, but also = less big games, so what's the point? At least we would get Creighton, a school without a Sweet 16 appearance, twice per season.

3. Big East isn't that good, at least not worth that kind of travel.

In the three NCAA tournaments since the new Big East was formed, the conference has had two teams reach the Sweet 16 (Nova, X). In the same time frame, the WCC has had two teams reach the Sweet 16 (both GU).

Everything we would want to accomplish by joining the BE would be accomplished by adding a OOC home-and-home with Villanova.

We need to stay out west and we don't have football. Only reasonable jump we could make would be to the Mountain West. A move to the Big East would be a train wreck.

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Big East just won the NC... not sure on the "not good" comment.

They also put 5 teams in and 4 of them advanced at least one round.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2016, 08:18 AM
MWC falling apart. Steer clear.

roundup
04-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Big East just won the NC... not sure on the "not good" comment.

They also put 5 teams in and 4 of them advanced at least one round.

Lol. GF's posts often have a tenuous relationship with reality. Is the thesis really that the Zags couldn't compete in the Big East and should therefore stay in the inferior WCC to avoid CBI appearances? I think GU could compete at that level. Certainly not win the championship every year, but they would be in the hunt / tourny more often than not.

DukeSilver
04-18-2016, 08:39 AM
3. Big East isn't that good [...]

Everything we would want to accomplish by joining the BE would be accomplished by adding a OOC home-and-home with Villanova.

Absolutely absurd.

zagfan24
04-18-2016, 09:05 AM
It's not really fair to compare teams of Zag past to the theoretical teams competing in a bigger conference, because you can't ignore the positive impact on recruits and transfers that affiliation with a stronger conference would have.

gonzagafan62
04-18-2016, 09:15 AM
It's not really fair to compare teams of Zag past to the theoretical teams competing in a bigger conference, because you can't ignore the positive impact on recruits and transfers that affiliation with a stronger conference would have.

Bingo.

And that's how the cookie crumbles

realtydog
04-18-2016, 09:47 AM

where is this news? I would like to read

jazzdelmar
04-18-2016, 10:20 AM
where is this news? I would like to read

Google San Diego union tribune Friday or Saturday.

sittingon50
04-18-2016, 10:54 AM

MWC or WAC, Jazz?

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-basketball/2016/4/16/11438936/byu-basketball-conference-realignment-wac-wcc-omg-bbq

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Zags to Big East will be brought up as click bait as long as we're in the WCC and nationally relevant.

2. Bad years would be REALLY REALLY bad - as in, not even make the CBI bad. Imagine this year's team, or 2014, 2011, 2007 etc... without the cakewalk of WCC play to right the ship. Oh, just lost at home to a team in the 80s for RPI? Now you get to go to the East Coast and play Villanova+Providence instead of scrub squads USF/Santa Clara (both of which were still very nearly losses this season). A couple 6-14 conference seasons and we'd be pining for the WCC. Show me a west coast NCAA team that has made multiple trips to the East Coast and had a successful season. Our 06-07 team was very good but fell apart after 3 trips out East - and of course things got worse with Heytvelt's trip to Cheney.

Sorry, but this is just outrageously misinformed. This year's Zags team was the 5th best (according to KenPom) edition since 2002. 18th best team in the country. Only two Big East teams (Nova and Xavier) ahead of us.

This year's Zags team was really really good, just unlucky in close games the first 3/4ths of the season.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2016, 12:11 PM
MWC or WAC, Jazz?

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-basketball/2016/4/16/11438936/byu-basketball-conference-realignment-wac-wcc-omg-bbq

The chaos in Vegas, five coaches in the last year, was seen as a detriment to San Diego State and the whole conference with respect to RPI and postseason bids.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/17/zeigler-sdsu-basketball-unlv-coaching-mess/

sittingon50
04-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the link, Jazz. Good read.

Zagdawg
04-18-2016, 12:54 PM
We found our travel partner?