PDA

View Full Version : Zags at Kobe's finale

cggonzaga
04-13-2016, 09:18 PM
Kind of cool seeing Rob, Ronny and Adam tonight. I'm not a fan of Kobe Bryant but that was impressive.

sittingon50
04-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Were Ronny & Ammo just part of the "crowd" cg, or part of the festivities?

ZagaZags
04-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Were Ronny & Ammo just part of the "crowd" cg, or part of the festivities?

The festivities after the game.

Zagceo
04-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Crowd on floor celebration after game. Lots of players and celebs

22-50 60 points in 42 min @37 years old

zagdontzig
04-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Kobe's last play was an assist

soccerdud
04-13-2016, 10:06 PM
yeah, the three of them were part of a group of about 30ish former teammates that greeted kobe immediately after the game, milled around a bit, and were behind him during his speech to the crowd. looked like sacre snuck in specifically to visit with ronny and ammo. was kinda cool cause you could see the three of them huddle up and snap a selfie or two in the near background during kobe's speech.

i am a lifelong lakers fan. i was a huge kobe fan before i mostly lost interest in pro ball (around the time of his mess in colorado...). he had an incredible career and, fittingly, a hell of a final game... but some of the illegal screens that were ignored in order to get him open tonight were astonishing. also, the offensive foul he got away with on the inbounds before the foul that put him on the line for his 59th and 60th points tonight... i want to enjoy it, but it just makes me more sure that the NBA isn't something i'm interested in anymore.

doctorzag
04-13-2016, 11:35 PM
yeah, the three of them were part of a group of about 30ish former teammates that greeted kobe immediately after the game, milled around a bit, and were behind him during his speech to the crowd. looked like sacre snuck in specifically to visit with ronny and ammo. was kinda cool cause you could see the three of them huddle up and snap a selfie or two in the near background during kobe's speech.

i am a lifelong lakers fan. i was a huge kobe fan before i mostly lost interest in pro ball (around the time of his mess in colorado...). he had an incredible career and, fittingly, a hell of a final game... but some of the illegal screens that were ignored in order to get him open tonight were astonishing. also, the offensive foul he got away with on the inbounds before the foul that put him on the line for his 59th and 60th points tonight... i want to enjoy it, but it just makes me more sure that the NBA isn't something i'm interested in anymore.

Agree. He just shoved the defender to the floor to get open for the inbounds before those last two free throws. So blatant.

cggonzaga
04-14-2016, 07:26 AM
Yeah! Stupid officials not calling a foul at the end of a meaningless game to put one of the all time greats at the free throw line to get to 60 points in his final game ever! I hate the NBA!

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Not a big fan of the NBA... but lets be honest... it WAS a meaningless game. Why get bent over it?

Zagceo
04-14-2016, 09:18 AM
NBA = WWE.......entertainment based on sport

curry has made the nba game look like a circus side show with his half court jump shots.

soccerdud
04-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Yeah! Stupid officials not calling a foul at the end of a meaningless game to put one of the all time greats at the free throw line to get to 60 points in his final game ever! I hate the NBA!

Not a big fan of the NBA... but lets be honest... it WAS a meaningless game. Why get bent over it?

i'm neither namecalling nor "bent". but i am also not interested in the WWE or daytime soap operas. if the fix is in, and the rules are all subject to the narrative -- even in a meaningless game -- it isn't a legitimate sporting event and the outcome is of little value or interest to me.

for others who do or would feel the same, i figured i'd add that to my brief game report.

again, this was my childhood hero. imo he deserved better. he deserved "basketball", with opponents (generally the jazz tried hard and were fine, if a bit sloppy), and referees who exhibited the same excellence on the court as he did.

but i'm not angry, just a bit surprised and disappointed. and, again, more secure in my previous position that the NBA is not for me (at least outside of olynyk and steph highlights).

bullzag23
04-14-2016, 09:42 AM
i'm neither namecalling nor "bent". but i am also not interested in the WWE or daytime soap operas. if the fix is in, and the rules are all subject to the narrative -- even in a meaningless game -- it isn't a legitimate sporting event and the outcome is of little value or interest to me.

for others who do or would feel the same, i figured i'd add that to my brief game report.

again, this was my childhood hero. imo he deserved better. he deserved "basketball", with opponents (generally the jazz tried hard and were fine, if a bit sloppy), and referees who exhibited the same excellence on the court as he did.

but i'm not angry, just a bit surprised and disappointed. and, again, more secure in my previous position that the NBA is not for me.

Conspiracy theory:

Sacramento rests their players in a meaningless game(they're not in the playoffs) by order of the NBA and Adam Silver to give Kobe an easy finale. Sacramento was playing Houston who needed to win in order to lock up the 8th seed in the playoffs. Utah (L.A.'s opponent) needed Houston to lose in order to have a shot since Houston had the tiebreaker. The Jazz, seeing the headlines about Sacramento resting starters, realize they are now playing in a meaningless game and give a lackluster effort, allowing Kobe to go off for 60 points.

The truth is out there. :adored:

Kobe, being 37 year old, washed-up Kobe, took 50 shots to get there, while 28 year old Kobe probably would've scored 70+ with that many attempts.

cggonzaga
04-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Assume you didn't watch the game bullzag? Utah was eliminated before the game started and yet Utah played pretty well for 3 1/2 quarters as they had a 9 point lead midway through the 4th quarter. They were definitely not taking it easy on Kobe either. Yes he took 50 shots to get there but why not in your last game? It's what his teammates wanted and what the fans wanted.

Look, I really could care less for Kobe Bryant the person. I find it funny and somewhat sad that people have to be bitter and skeptical about every little thing.

Nobody is saying you have to like the NBA soccer. But this
is a little over the top isn't it? You're literally referring to 1 play. The game was fairly well played and officiated until maybe the final 2 minutes. Why can't we just enjoy and celebrate greatness.

soccerdud
04-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Nobody is saying you have to like the NBA soccer. But this is a little over the top isn't it? You're literally referring to 1 play. The game was fairly well played and officiated until maybe the final 2 minutes. Why can't we just enjoy and celebrate greatness.

there were specifically two issues i had (as noted in my original post)-- the final play and about 12 screens set for kobe where it looked like the screener was doing the blocking sled drill at football practice. one of those was called early, kobe looked at the ref, said something to him, and then it was never called again.

i certainly am not presuming to tell you how to feel about any of this. or anyone else for that matter. but i know that there are some on this board who will see the 60 pts and would care to know that this was more an exhibition/pageant than a legitimate NBA (or even basketball) game. so, i mentioned it. that takes nothing away from his career. anyway, that's way more than enough from me on the subject. peace :)

bullzag23
04-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Assume you didn't watch the game bullzag? Utah was eliminated before the game started and yet Utah played pretty well for 3 1/2 quarters as they had a 9 point lead midway through the 4th quarter. They were definitely not taking it easy on Kobe either. Yes he took 50 shots to get there but why not in your last game? It's what his teammates wanted and what the fans wanted.

Look, I really could care less for Kobe Bryant the person. I find it funny and somewhat sad that people have to be bitter and skeptical about every little thing.

Nobody is saying you have to like the NBA soccer. But this is a little over the top isn't it? You're literally referring to 1 play. The game was fairly well played and officiated until maybe the final 2 minutes. Why can't we just enjoy and celebrate greatness.

I'm going to argue that holding a 9 point lead against this awful Lakers team can't really be considered playing well.....

MDABE80
04-14-2016, 02:24 PM
A lot of time spent on this thread for a guy who retired and many didn't like anyway.

cggonzaga
04-14-2016, 02:38 PM
The Jazz, seeing the headlines about Sacramento resting starters, realize they are now playing in a meaningless game and give a lackluster effort, allowing Kobe to go off for 60 points.

The point was that the Jazz did indeed not give a lackluster effort. Again, if you watched the game you would've seen that instead of just hypothesizing what you believed to happen.

And yes Abe, too much time on this topic.

bullzag23
04-14-2016, 07:12 PM
The point was that the Jazz did indeed not give a lackluster effort. Again, if you watched the game you would've seen that instead of just hypothesizing what you believed to happen.

And yes Abe, too much time on this topic.

Good lord the joke in my first post clearly wasn't taken well.

I watched the 4th quarter. Kobe was wide open for the part I saw. This was a 37 year old broken down athlete who was visibly gassed on the sideline. Utah has a young team. Kobe does not get wide open if the Jazz are giving a full effort. I know what I saw, but to each his own.

kitzbuel
04-14-2016, 11:07 PM
Kind of cool seeing Rob, Ronny and Adam tonight. I'm not a fan of Kobe Bryant but that was impressive.

Saw Ronny (and Rob of course), but missed Adam. Pretty cool that he got invited.

Zagceo
04-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Saw Ronny (and Rob of course), but missed Adam. Pretty cool that he got invited.

Wiltjer was also at the game.

kitzbuel
04-15-2016, 02:50 AM
Wiltjer was also at the game.

Cool. Was he part of Ammo's doomsday protection squad?