PDA

View Full Version : Koach thins the herd

jazzdelmar
04-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Koach thins the herd....

Duke freshman Derryck Thornton is transferring, multiple sources told ESPN.

Thornton, a five-star prospect coming out of high school, started 20 games in his lone season at Duke. He averaged 7.1 points and 2.6 assists, but saw his minutes fluctuate during most of ACC play despite being the only pure point guard on the roster.

The Blue Devils are bringing in one of the best recruiting classes in the country next season, a group that includes five-star point guard Frank Jackson. Jackson is more of a scorer, but would have battled Thornton for the starting point guard spot. Duke's incoming group is led by Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum, the top two prospects in the 2016 class.

Thornton was originally a member of the 2016 class, but reclassified last April in order to graduate early and enroll at Duke. He will have three years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2016-17 season.

Thornton, a 6-foot-2 point guard, could look to move closer to his California home, according to sources.

Coach Crazy
04-10-2016, 11:44 AM
And I hope Few and Co. are on the phone. Findlay guards are guards we like.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Interesting. Duke was real short on depth last year so fair to assume Coach K was enthusiastic to say the least for Thornton to reclassify and play college ball a year early only to recruit over him the next year. Nice

Outraged
04-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Don't need him here. Would be nice to see him go to another wcc school.

MDABE80
04-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Oh yes we do.........if he's superior, we do.

Coach Crazy
04-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Don't need him here. Would be nice to see him go to another wcc school.

I'm sorry. What now? I am with Abe, if the kid is superior, we want him here. He would be a nice compliment to Jesse Wade.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Interesting. Duke was real short on depth last year so fair to assume Coach K was enthusiastic to say the least for Thornton to reclassify and play college ball a year early only to recruit over him the next year. Nice

Koach does it on a regular basis.

23dpg
04-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Cal seems likely.

Coach Crazy
04-10-2016, 02:35 PM
We have a Findlay guard on the roster. Use that as a recruiting tool.

sittingon50
04-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Cal seems likely.

Perhaps, but Cal having some issues.

seacatfan
04-10-2016, 03:58 PM
There is an odd history of recruits reclassifying to start their college career a year early at Duke, only to receive little playing time and in several cases end up transferring out. For anyone that takes a little bit of time to peel back some layers, Duke and K aren't nearly the shining beacons of all that is right as all the talking heads try really hard to convince all of us they are.

Without seeing a list of schools he's considering transferring to, I'm gonna hazard a guess that he will not end up in the WCC.

Outraged
04-10-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry. What now? I am with Abe, if the kid is superior, we want him here. He would be a nice compliment to Jesse Wade.

I just Don't see anything that makes him superior or better than we already have.

GrizZAG
04-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Something just seems wrong when the big programs can take in top tier recruits and treat them as throw-away individuals while other NCAA programs would be thrilled with these players. I know it is a historical fact but it is one thing about college BB that just seems corrupt somehow. It is almost more unfair and unbalanced than pro sports.

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2016, 09:01 PM
I just Don't see anything that makes him superior or better than we already have.

I agree, he and Chase Jeter were so overhyped and then the Duke schollie adds to the hype

MDABE80
04-10-2016, 10:38 PM

NO worries. I don't either. It's the principle though. Find the best players and let the best of those play.

Zagger
04-11-2016, 03:24 AM
NO worries. I don't either. It's the principle though. Find the best players and let the best of those play.

Therein lies the key ..... just what is 'best'? And, will the 'best' work out in team play?

jazzdelmar
04-11-2016, 03:32 AM
Therein lies the key ..... just what is 'best'? And, will the 'best' work out in team play?

Duke's "best" is generally better than anyone else's.

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2016, 05:13 AM
Duke's "best" is generally better than anyone else's.

Yes, but these aren't Dukes "best", if they were they'd be playing. These are Dukes mistakes

Coach Crazy
04-11-2016, 07:36 AM
I agree, he and Chase Jeter were so overhyped and then the Duke schollie adds to the hype

Disagree. Watch the tape on Derryck. He's better than Silas, and better than Bryan. I see some similarities in his tapes to that of Josh's. I'll take another Josh/NWG type producer. But that's just me.

vandalzag
04-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Disagree. Watch the tape on Derryck. He's better than Silas, and better than Bryan. I see some similarities in his tapes to that of Josh's. I'll take another Josh/NWG type producer. But that's just me.

Hard sell to that kid trying to unseat two embedded players. Even with the redshirt year he would be competing with a 5th year senior and 4th year junior,a Senior in Melson, along with Jesse Wade. Not a lot of minutes to entice a kid to transfer. I would say he is UCLA or USC bound. Always look to improve the roster but this does not look like a fit for either party at this point (assuming he has any interest).