PDA

View Full Version : Women's final four

23dpg
04-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Oregon State playing UConn. If you get a chance, tune into ESPN for a glimpse. I love what they've done to the court. I'm guessing others may not like it.

gonzagafan62
04-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Oregon State playing UConn. If you get a chance, tune into ESPN for a glimpse. I love what they've done to the court. I'm guessing others may not like it.

Other posters? Wow. :p

23dpg
04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Oregon State hanging tough. Down 32-24

gonzagafan62
04-03-2016, 02:44 PM
If they can keep that distance at half the game should be respectable.

Who you got between Syracuse and Washington 23?

23dpg
04-03-2016, 02:52 PM
And now it's a blowout. 47-26 at half.

23dpg
04-03-2016, 02:53 PM
If they can keep that distance at half the game should be respectable.

Who you got between Syracuse and Washington 23?

Should be fairly close. I'd love to see the Huskies with the mild upset.

gonzagafan62
04-03-2016, 02:55 PM
And now it's a blowout. 47-26 at half.

Stewart was lucky not to get her 3rd foul.

I agree too about UW. I'd rather them win

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:00 PM
I like Oregon St., I've watched them quite a bit. I knew it was gonna be tough, there's a reason UConn has won 73 straight games and the last 3 National Titles. Still though, I'm pretty disappointed in their performance. Just a ton of turnovers, many of them on stupid passes that had absolutely no chance of getting to where they were trying to get it to. That and what I'd say is a huge mistake by the coach on the defensive end. Morgan Tuck has been torching them from the very beginning of the game and he's made zero adjustments. OSU's post Hamblin simply can't guard her on the perimeter, they have to try something different...and yet they just keep leaving her wide open to hit shots. Gotta try a zone or something, all of UConn's post players are mobile and can hit 3's, so Hamblin can't D up any of them.

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:02 PM
For anyone watching this game, stay tuned for the second game. Washington's trio of Plum, Walton and Osahor are really fun to watch.

MJ777
04-03-2016, 03:03 PM
UCONNs dominance over the past four years isn't killing the women's game like some have said, but it sure doesn't help it. I'm pulling for UW today, but they will have to play a better game than the 85 Villanova men played against Georgetown to even stay close with UCONN on Tuesday. UW or Syracuse beating UCONN would have to be one of the greatest upsets ever. Do you believe in miracles? Not this year in the women's tournament.

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:11 PM
UConn loses Stewart, Jefferson and probably Tuck (has a year of eligibility left but most think she won't return) after this season, so the rest of the country might actually have a chance next year.

gonzagafan62
04-03-2016, 03:13 PM
UConn loses Stewart, Jefferson and probably Tuck (has a year of eligibility left but most think she won't return) after this season, so the rest of the country might actually have a chance next year.

Maybe. That's a very non confident maybe haha.

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:15 PM

Geno's still gonna be coaching and I'm sure he has an expectation to compete for a National Title. But even UConn can't lose 3 All Americans at once and not miss a beat.

MJ777
04-03-2016, 03:16 PM

That's good news. OSU loses 5 seniors so it probably won't be them winning next season.

23dpg
04-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Anybody else like the court?

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:20 PM
That's good news. OSU loses 5 seniors so it probably won't be them winning next season.

Yeah, no doubt. 3 starters and one of the first off the bench. Hamblin and Weisner will be really hard to replace.

Notre Dame has been the second best program the last 4 years but could never get past UConn. But they had a huge upset loss against Stanford in the 3rd round this year.

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Anybody else like the court?

The brick pattern around the key? I think it's a bit distracting, but it's not as bad as Oregon's court with the trees.

MJ777
04-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Yeah, no doubt. 3 starters and one of the first off the bench. Hamblin and Weisner will be really hard to replace.

Notre Dame has been the second best program the last 4 years but could never get past UConn. But they had a huge upset loss against Stanford in the 3rd round this year.

What are GUs and UWs prospects for next season?

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:34 PM
What are GUs and UWs prospects for next season?

Huskies had almost zero depth at the end of the year. They lose several Sr., most noteworthy is Walton. Very versatile 6-2 inside/outside player that can guard just about any position. They'll miss her badly. The others are role players, but they were playing about 6 down the stretch this year, so they'll lose half of their rotation. They have some young bigs who barely played all year, not in game shape I think. I don't know much about their recruiting class coming in. Plum will be a Sr., she's already the leading scorer in school history and almost certainly will become the Pac12 leader next season.

I didn't follow the GU women very closely this year. There are some lively discussions on the women's message board here. I think this year was considered very disappointing. They lose a few Sr., might get Tinkle back from an injury (Oregon St. men's bball coach's daughter). Have a couple transfers that will be eligible that they have big expectations for. Had a bunch of freshmen this year that got some PT and might be ready to take a big step forward next year, including Stockton's daughter.

MJ777
04-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Huskies had almost zero depth at the end of the year. They lose several Sr., most noteworthy is Walton. Very versatile 6-2 inside/outside player that can guard just about any position. They'll miss her badly. The others are role players, but they were playing about 6 down the stretch this year, so they'll lose half of their rotation. They have some young bigs who barely played all year, not in game shape I think. I don't know much about their recruiting class coming in. Plum will be a Sr., she's already the leading scorer in school history and almost certainly will become the Pac12 leader next season.

I didn't follow the GU women very closely this year. There are some lively discussions on the women's message board here. I think this year was considered very disappointing. They lose a few Sr., might get Tinkle back from an injury (Oregon St. men's bball coach's daughter). Have a couple transfers that will be eligible that they have big expectations for. Had a bunch of freshmen this year that got some PT and might be ready to take a big step forward next year, including Stockton's daughter.

Thanks for the report. Someone, Maryland or ND maybe, needs to beat UCONN in the tourney next season.

Birddog
04-03-2016, 03:42 PM
If UW meets Uconn in the title game, I'm predicting a Husky win. There, I said it.

Section 116
04-03-2016, 03:49 PM
UConn on pace to break the previous record for margin of victory in a #WFinalFour game (33, UConn vs. Louisville, 93-60, on 4/9/13).

MJ777
04-03-2016, 03:49 PM
If UW meets Uconn in the title game, I'm predicting a Husky win. There, I said it.

:clap:

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:50 PM

I saw a Husky vs. Husky beatdown years ago, I think it was the first game after they refurbished Hec Ed Pavilion. UConn was absolutely loaded, had a bunch of future WNBA players including Bird, Cash, Abrasimova, and some freshman kid named Taurasi that turned out to be a decent player. I think it was the first game of her college career and I could tell she had the "it" factor way back then, even coming off the bench and playing limited minutes.

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 03:52 PM
I feel bad for OSU. I figured they had almost no chance of winning, but hate seeing them get destroyed like this. Weisner is a GREAT player and she had an absolutely miserable night, sucks it's the last game of her career in an OSU uniform (kinda like Buddy Hield last night).

gonzagafan62
04-03-2016, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the report. Someone, Maryland or ND maybe, needs to beat UCONN in the tourney next season.

Baylor, Stanford also routinely have good programs and usually battle it out for final fours and titles. They'll be back too. Baylor though has lost three straight elite eight games, this year to the beavers

Didn't mean to quote myself

MJ777
04-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Well that game was exciting.

MJ777
04-03-2016, 04:59 PM
UW getting buried by turnovers and 3s, 36-18. If Syracuse can play like this against UCONN they can lose by less than 20.

seacatfan
04-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Crappy night for West Coast hoops. I quit watching the UW game fairly early. Looks like Walton put on quite a show, but didn't get much help, and too many TO's as mentioned. I gotta think some WNBA team would be happy to add her to their roster.

Syracuse used to be a conference foe of UConn, so they might not be intimidated, but it's been several years. UConn wanted to schedule a game @ Syracuse this year to get a home town game for Stewart her Sr. year, but the Syracuse coached refused to schedule it. Not that UConn needs any extra motivation, with their Sr. class going for an unprecedented 4th straight Championship, but they might use that anyway.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2016, 05:14 AM
Crappy night for West Coast hoops. I quit watching the UW game fairly early. Looks like Walton put on quite a show, but didn't get much help, and too many TO's as mentioned. I gotta think some WNBA team would be happy to add her to their roster.

Syracuse used to be a conference foe of UConn, so they might not be intimidated, but it's been several years. UConn wanted to schedule a game @ Syracuse this year to get a home town game for Stewart her Sr. year, but the Syracuse coached refused to schedule it. Not that UConn needs any extra motivation, with their Sr. class going for an unprecedented 4th straight Championship, but they might use that anyway.

What a dichotomy when it comes to Syracuse hoops...lol. Men's team doesn't leave home until conference play starts (with the exception of a tournament in a balmy locale), and the women's team turns down a home game with the National Champs.

I recall how it took UTEP agreeing to a 2-for-1 to get Georgetown to play in El Paso.

O/T, but "big boy" schools need to be punished for avoiding good teams from non-Big 5 conferences. They have no problem playing weak teams, though.

Zagsker
04-05-2016, 05:45 AM
UCONN by 30+...having a dominant team like UCONN is not helping the games struggling popularity imo.

Geno is HIGHLY overrated. Hey coach, take the best players in America and I dare you to struggle.

Birddog
04-05-2016, 06:17 AM
UCONN by 30+...having a dominant team like UCONN is not helping the games struggling popularity imo.

Geno is HIGHLY overrated. Hey coach, take the best players in America and I dare you to struggle.

QFT

Zagsker
04-05-2016, 06:27 AM
QFT

I laugh because I picture Geno diagramming a play, players go out and run it and score and he leans back to an assistant saying:

Geno: "That play worked perfect, I knew they would not be able to stop it"

Assistant: "Yeah coach!, that flex offense you had them run was a brilliant choice of strategy"

Geno: "I think we should give the ball to our over the top dominant post or guard and have them score"

Assistant: "BRILLIANT!!!!!

seacatfan
04-05-2016, 09:22 AM
I'm gonna STRONGLY disagree with several of you. Geno coaches circles around most of his counterparts. He's been fortunate to have several singularly talented players like Taurasi, Moore and Stewart over the years, but plenty of other schools get plenty of talent as well and get nowhere near the same results. I'm willing to bet that both Tennessee and Duke had more McDonald's All Americans on their roster this year than UConn did, and both were huge disappointments. Notre Dame, Maryland, Baylor, South Carolina and some other schools all have plenty of talent. Coaching matters. Geno is the best in the business, hands down.

Zagsker
04-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Announcers have to sell the fact that Syracuse us within 17 as a "ohhh, here we go" moment

Zagsker
04-05-2016, 06:16 PM
I'm gonna STRONGLY disagree with several of you. Geno coaches circles around most of his counterparts. He's been fortunate to have several singularly talented players like Taurasi, Moore and Stewart over the years, but plenty of other schools get plenty of talent as well and get nowhere near the same results. I'm willing to bet that both Tennessee and Duke had more McDonald's All Americans on their roster this year than UConn did, and both were huge disappointments. Notre Dame, Maryland, Baylor, South Carolina and some other schools all have plenty of talent. Coaching matters. Geno is the best in the business, hands down.

The comparable talent pool his players are going up against and he is coaching against is night and day different.

23dpg
04-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Syracuse is going to lose this game, by a lot. But they went on a 16-0 run on UConn in the second half. That's kinda cool.

gonzagafan62
04-05-2016, 07:17 PM
The comparable talent pool his players are going up against and he is coaching against is night and day different.

Exactly what makes Geno such a great coach. He's buil this thing into a dynasty. You forget recruiting is part of it too? Gotta have a great eye for talent, and also know who's going to fit the system. The great hires on his staff and trusting them to develop his players as well as himself doing it too.

Nobody is better than Geno. All time I do have him behind Pat, but I'm biased

gonzagafan62
04-05-2016, 07:19 PM
By the way he has 6 undefeated seasons. SIX. Next closest is 1. That means he's paying attention to every single detail and not letting his team be unfocused. He's not just trying to win titles, he's trying to destroy the competition and go undefeated every year. That's what makes him so great

seacatfan
04-05-2016, 07:29 PM
By the way he has 6 undefeated seasons. SIX. Next closest is 1. That means he's paying attention to every single detail and not letting his team be unfocused. He's not just trying to win titles, he's trying to destroy the competition and go undefeated every year. That's what makes him so great

Exactly. Even if you have the most talented team, to go thru a season undefeated is very hard. To do it SIX times is freaking ridiculous. You can point to their relatively weak conference they are in currently, but that's only been the last 3 years? Prior to that they were in the Big East, long one of the best conferences and in the last few seasons before it fell apart it was by a wide margin the best conference in the country.

Not to mention they go out and play as many of the best teams as will agree to schedule them in the OOC every year.

seacatfan
04-05-2016, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=gonzagafan62;1206831
Nobody is better than Geno. All time I do have him behind Pat, but I'm biased[/QUOTE]

She still has the most career wins, and might have more Final 4's than Geno, but he surpassed her long ago. Only thing she has over him is more years coached. If he wants to hang around long enough, he can eclipse all of her records. 11-0 in Championship games...nothing more needs to be said. I think Pat was 8-5.

seacatfan
04-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Let me give you a few examples of what has happened to some other programs. Baylor had Griner, the most dominant big, and Sims, an outstanding PG, together for 3 years. They won one Championship...and that was their only Final 4 appearance.

Tennessee was a defending Champion with by the far and away the best player in the country--Holdsclaw--and probably the 2nd best player in the country--Catchings--plus another really good guard in Randall. They got upset before reaching the Final 4.

Geno has NEVER had a team with that kind of talent fall so far short of what they were capable of. Simply put he doesn't squander the talent he's had. Other coaches have.

And again, I dare you to look at how many McDonald's All Americans Tennessee and Duke have on their rosters this year, and over the last 5 or 10 years. On paper more talent than Geno has had, yet a monumental difference in results. That's coaching.

23dpg
04-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Breanna Stewart ends her career with 4 titles and 4 MOPs.
:allhail:

seacatfan
04-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Here's something else mind blowing. UConn has won 6 of the last 8 Titles. Elena Delle Donne was originally at UConn but left before the season started her freshman year. If she had stayed, there's a better than average chance they would've won 8 straight. Her and Maya Moore together for 3 years...pretty much unfathomable.

gonzagafan62
04-05-2016, 09:23 PM
She still has the most career wins, and might have more Final 4's than Geno, but he surpassed her long ago. Only thing she has over him is more years coached. If he wants to hang around long enough, he can eclipse all of her records. 11-0 in Championship games...nothing more needs to be said. I think Pat was 8-5.

Like I said I'm biased. Pat really started women's basketball being a thing to watch. Geno has evolved it well beyond my imagination. People say UCONN is bad for the game. I think it's awesome.

sylean
04-06-2016, 06:53 AM
I do watch the GU women and this has been an odd year....many injuries....but we have 4 stellar freshmen coming back, each with different but great talents, and Jill Barta may very well be the highest scorer in the nation next year, considering she was the highest scorer for the team and she wasn't a starter til February. She is a very special player... Zhane Templeton has a Jackie Stiles type shot...Zykera Rice did something that few men can do, and that was to jump, catch the ball and shoot midair and make a basket.......we will get one terrific big back from injury, plus hopefully Elle Tinkle back from injury, and we have two transfers just itching to get on the floor. Laura Stockton, I'm told, is the best of the Stockton kids athletically.....she's not big but she's got the smarts and the confidence...

I've watched both OSU and UW women's team this year....UW particularly did not look impressive and I am shocked they got as far as they got.....just goes to show you that you need to play your best at tournament time and you need a little luck....

Our girls beat this very same OSU team on THEIR court last year....

look for a big year for the Zag women.....

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2016, 07:02 AM
I say, UConn is HORRIBLE for Women's basketball. There is not one iota of intrigue outside of who gets to lose to them. Anyone remotely top level is going there if Geno picks up the phone. The total lack of parity even within the Big 5 conferences makes it boring as hell because in the end... it is UConn and only UConn. I find it frustrating because I love watching the GU women play... just know that in reality the likelihood of them being at the next level borders on impossible.

23dpg
04-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Mike Tyson weighs in on the game.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Capture2.png

seacatfan
04-06-2016, 09:37 AM
I say, UConn is HORRIBLE for Women's basketball. There is not one iota of intrigue outside of who gets to lose to them. Anyone remotely top level is going there if Geno picks up the phone. The total lack of parity even within the Big 5 conferences makes it boring as hell because in the end... it is UConn and only UConn. I find it frustrating because I love watching the GU women play... just know that in reality the likelihood of them being at the next level borders on impossible.

The notion that Geno gets all the best players or any player he wants is false and completely ridiculous. If he did, Aj'a Wilson (South Carolina) and Lauren Cox (Baylor) would both be at UConn next year, and I'm sure several more of the top recruits from recent years. Not everybody chooses to go to UConn. Notre Dame, Maryland, Duke, Tennessee, Baylor and others load up on top talent every year. Louisville recruits well. Ohio St. has been surging. South Carolina. Stanford.

Next year should hold more intrigue. UConn loses Stewart, Jefferson and probably Tuck. They won't be the favorite to win the Championship at the beginning of the season. And holy cow, Syracuse, Washington and Oregon St. were all first time participants in the Final 4 this year. With the run those 3 made, most teams in the country should be asking themselves "Why not us?" for next year.

seacatfan
04-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Interestingly Penn St. women's volleyball has been just about equally dominant as UConn hoops. They've won 6 of the last 9 Championships. V-ball gets less air time on TV and less exposure overall. Are they killing volleyball? Should everybody else quit trying? I'm pretty sure Nebraska and Stanford and others are still striving to win the title every year.

seacatfan
04-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Sylean--Barta will probably need to be in the 26-28 ppg range to lead the nation in scoring next year. Do you think that is a reasonable possibility? Kelsey Mitchell at Ohio St. and Kelsey Plum at Washington are going to score a ton of points next year, like they did this year.

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2016, 10:19 AM
The notion that Geno gets all the best players or any player he wants is false and completely ridiculous. If he did, Aj'a Wilson (South Carolina) and Lauren Cox (Baylor) would both be at UConn next year, and I'm sure several more of the top recruits from recent years. Not everybody chooses to go to UConn. Notre Dame, Maryland, Duke, Tennessee, Baylor and others load up on top talent every year. Louisville recruits well. Ohio St. has been surging. South Carolina. Stanford.

Next year should hold more intrigue. UConn loses Stewart, Jefferson and probably Tuck. They won't be the favorite to win the Championship at the beginning of the season. And holy cow, Syracuse, Washington and Oregon St. were all first time participants in the Final 4 this year. With the run those 3 made, most teams in the country should be asking themselves "Why not us?" for next year.

Let's see since 2000 they have had 70, 90 and now 75 (and continuing) win streaks. Yeah... competitive. When one team overly dominates a sport... it doesn't help the sport. They also have the #3 prospect in the country coming in. Sorry... I just don't see it. Worst case you will see a down year... where they make the final four or championship game and lose. Even then... if it isn't them, it will be Notre Dame or South Carolina. I just wish there was even the modicum of parity that you see in the men's game. I hope you are right and I am wrong. But I doubt it.

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Interestingly Penn St. women's volleyball has been just about equally dominant as UConn hoops. They've won 6 of the last 9 Championships. V-ball gets less air time on TV and less exposure overall. Are they killing volleyball? Should everybody else quit trying? I'm pretty sure Nebraska and Stanford and others are still striving to win the title every year.

With a limited talent pool (even more limited than women's hoops) it probably would not make a difference if they did or didn't try... the best players are going to gravitate to the best teams and when there are so few it makes it lopsided. You saw it in mens lacrosse in the 80s before the sport really exploded.

The one positive is many young women are getting very good educations while they play the sport they love... they just accept that they aren't likely to playing for a national championship... ever.

seacatfan
04-06-2016, 11:32 AM
It's cyclical. UConn won 4 out of 5 from 2000-2004. Then they took a major step backward. Didn't even make the Final 4 for the next 3 years. Got back to the Final 4 in '08 and won a Title again in '09, kicking off their 6 out of 8 run.

Tennessee used to be similar to what UConn is now. What happened to them? Haven't been to a Final 4 in about a decade.

I was very much a believer that there is no parity in women's hoops. It was UConn...and then Notre Dame...and then about 4 or 5 other schools...and nobody else mattered. But this year, the Final 4 was crazy. I don't know if it was a fluke, or a sign that things are changing. Doesn't matter that UConn won the semis and championship by big margins. 3 of the 4 teams had never been to the Final 4 before. And those 3 had to beat good teams to get there, it wasn't a matter of the brackets breaking nicely for them and they just got lucky. OSU and Syracuse both had to beat a #1 seed on their way and Washington beat a #2, #3 and #4. I think next year is going to be exciting and as wide open as it's been in quite some time. And even if it ends up being Notre Dame winning it, I believe they only have 1 Championship in their history, despite all their Final 4 appearances.

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2016, 11:35 AM
It's cyclical. UConn won 4 out of 5 from 2000-2004. Then they took a major step backward. Didn't even make the Final 4 for the next 3 years. Got back to the Final 4 in '08 and won a Title again in '09, kicking off their 6 out of 8 run.

Tennessee used to be similar to what UConn is now. What happened to them? Haven't been to a Final 4 in about a decade.

I was very much a believer that there is no parity in women's hoops. It was UConn...and then Notre Dame...and then about 4 or 5 other schools...and nobody else mattered. But this year, the Final 4 was crazy. I don't know if it was a fluke, or a sign that things are changing. Doesn't matter that UConn won the semis and championship by big margins. 3 of the 4 teams had never been to the Final 4 before. And those 3 had to beat good teams to get there, it wasn't a matter of the brackets breaking nicely for them and they just got lucky. OSU and Syracuse both had to beat a #1 seed on their way and Washington beat a #2, #3 and #4. I think next year is going to be exciting and as wide open as it's been in quite some time. And even if it ends up being Notre Dame winning it, I believe they only have 1 Championship in their history, despite all their Final 4 appearances.

Hope you are right.

Pallet
04-06-2016, 11:37 AM
I think women's basketball lately has been a two tier sport. One one level there is a lot of parity where anyone can win any given day and on the other has been UConn.

seacatfan
04-06-2016, 11:37 AM
With a limited talent pool (even more limited than women's hoops) it probably would not make a difference if they did or didn't try... the best players are going to gravitate to the best teams and when there are so few it makes it lopsided. You saw it in mens lacrosse in the 80s before the sport really exploded.

The one positive is many young women are getting very good educations while they play the sport they love... they just accept that they aren't likely to playing for a national championship... ever.

I think the talent pool is expanding in volleyball. It's somewhat of a competition for tall, athletic players between v-ball and b-ball. With specialization and elite club teams, many have to choose at a fairly young age. I think the talent is dispersing somewhat. For a good chunk of time almost all of it stayed on the West Coast, and if not Nebraska was about the only other significant program. Penn St. obviously broke into elite status. Now Texas and Florida have joined the party, and at least half of the Big 10 Conference. There's been a definite shift in power from the West to the Midwest. Players don't have to limit their choices to 4 or 5 schools if they want a legit chance of going to a Final 4. It's very much concentrated between the Big 10 and Pac 12 (plus Texas and a few others), but many schools from those conferences are legit contenders. BYU even made it to the Championship match a few years ago.