PDA

View Full Version : Few -- List of Best Never to reach the Championship -- ESPN

77Zag
03-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Mark Few, Gonzaga: The Zags remain the gold standard for mid-majors, and Few is the biggest reason why. He has guided Gonzaga to 15 conference titles, including 11 straight from 2001-11, and 13 West Coast Conference tournament championships. Few has reached the NCAA tournament in each of his 17 seasons as coach, reaching the Sweet 16 six times but the Elite Eight only once (2015).

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/114365/best-to-never-to-win-a-national-title-as-college-basketball-college-football-head-coach

zagdontzig
03-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Interesting list, I think Sean Miller wins gets to the Final Four, but Few beats him there.

cbbfanatic
03-29-2016, 04:22 PM
surprised sean miller doesnt have one yet.

at the same time, i think zona only has 4 total, which is a little surprising. granted, they've only been a competitive program for the last 30 yrs or so, but i would have thought their tally would be higher, especially being situated as one of very few powers out west

Zagdawg
03-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Arizona averages 3-4 top 100 recruits per year --but their turnover (going to NBA) is very high --this number is not counting the transfers that have gone there.

kclubfounder
03-29-2016, 04:56 PM
I notice Chris Petersen on the NCAA Football list. It would sure be nice for both of these great coaches to win it all.

And for the record, I HATE UW hoops, but LOVE UW football. Many of you understand, but I catch a lot of hell from those who don't.

GO ZAGS!!!!

cjm720
03-29-2016, 04:57 PM
One of my favorite stats I heard during the tourney was that GU holds the record for most Sweet 16 appearances as a double digit seed at 4. Few has 3 of those....impressive given the relative caliber of recruits.

kclubfounder
03-29-2016, 05:51 PM
One of my favorite stats I heard during the tourney was that GU holds the record for most Sweet 16 appearances as a double digit seed at 4. Few has 3 of those....impressive given the relative caliber of recruits.

Awesome stat to use against the haters! Thanks.

And the caliber of recruits is getting better year by year by year.

seacatfan
03-29-2016, 06:19 PM
surprised sean miller doesnt have one yet.

at the same time, i think zona only has 4 total, which is a little surprising. granted, they've only been a competitive program for the last 30 yrs or so, but i would have thought their tally would be higher, especially being situated as one of very few powers out west

4 Elite 8's. One at Xavier, 3 at UA. 2 of them at UA they lost by one score and had the last possession of the game. As close as you can get without actually doing it.

I know Lute had 4 Final 4's at UA and I don't think they had any before he arrived, so I think you are correct. Kinda hard to believe their last one was in 2001. Lute also just missed a couple more after that, also single possession games with a chance to win at the end in '03 and '05. Can't think of any other school that has had so many near misses.