PDA

View Full Version : Virginia/Syracuse

Birddog
03-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Virginia starting to handle The Orange and I'm trying to suppress schadenfreude.

seacatfan
03-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Pretty much what I expected. UVa is showing Syracuse to be what it is--a scrappy team that just isn't very good.

Zagceo
03-27-2016, 04:52 PM
SU hanging around.........defense will tighten with press

bam up by 1 under 6

rawkmandale
03-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Look out!

MDABE80
Lots good press for the Zags. SOunds like we did really well re: Cuse. I mean lots of good things beign said. Any press is good but on national TV? We couldn't afford these ads!

Zag_Dad
Can't stand the Syracuse fan base, but something about the team who knocked you out winning it all takes some of the sting off. Cuse within 1 point

Section 116
Syracuse looking pretty good at the moment, shades of GU!

MJ777
03-27-2016, 04:58 PM
It should have been GU in a tight game with UVA. Damn.

Zagceo
03-27-2016, 04:58 PM
JB was sitting when SU hit that last 3

Cusefan
03-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Lots good press for the Zags. SOunds like we did really well re: Cuse. I mean lots of good things beign said. Any press is good but on national TV? We couldn't afford these ads!

Zags showed a lot of heart and skill in the tournament this year. Everyone saw that on both coasts.

seacatfan
03-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Um...nice comeback by Syracuse. Conversely fairly large collapse by Virginia. Win or lose this game, this was not even close to one of Boeheim's better teams. But the same can be said of the last time he got to the Final 4. I guess that's good coaching when you take so-so teams on deep runs.

rawkmandale
Zags showed a lot of heart and skill in the tournament this year. Everyone saw that on both coasts.

Thank you for saying that - Go Orange!

Birddog
I'm getting the orange Flu! UVA can't hit a thing.

mtzaga
Cuse taking it to UVA. I don't feel so bad now.

MJ777
JB was sitting when SU hit that last 3

He does let his players play loose. Good for him.

seacatfan
03-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Syracuse chucking 3's like they are still behind?

MJ777
03-27-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm still pulling for Tony and UVA.

uZiGiZaG
03-27-2016, 05:08 PM
i can't man.. This should be us beating UVA.. Gave the game away and now Cuse is going to the Final Four and once again we are at home watching

zagsfanforlife
03-27-2016, 05:09 PM
i can't man.. This should be us beating UVA.. Gave the game away and now Cuse is going to the Final Four and once again we are at home watching

The thought of those Syracuse fans getting to celebrate is making me sick.

seacatfan
03-27-2016, 05:10 PM
UVa looks lifeless. It's not quite over, but no energy from them.

Zagceo
03-27-2016, 05:12 PM
SU just turn up the energy and which UVA could not match

MJ777
03-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Was this worse than the 2006 game in Oakland??

Zagceo
03-27-2016, 05:14 PM
When it's your time it's your time.....

win it all...SU

zagsfanforlife
Going to the final four.. but man.. every team i DIDNT want to watch in the final four will be there.

zagsfanforlife
When it's your time it's your time.....

win it all...SU

God i would hate that.

jayray
03-27-2016, 05:15 PM
UVa looks lifeless. It's not quite over, but no energy from them.

Wow, I thought Virginia was going to kill Syracuse. I guess not. Not a good finish for Virginia.

Zagceo
28-8 maybe

Goshzagit
whomever beats the Zags in NCAA, more often than not, advance to the Final 4 and/or wins the Championship.

This should be it's own thread.

Seriously, ANY time the Zags have lost in the round of 32, Sweet 16 or Elite 8, that team has advanced to Final 4 or won it all.

Wth?

UCLA, Wichita St, Duke, UConn, Arizona, Syracuse, u name it...even Davidson went to Elite 8.

So much luck.

Can't believe it.

seacatfan
03-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Wow, I thought Virginia was going to kill Syracuse. I guess not. Not a good feeling finish for Virginia.

Complete collapse the last 10 minutes or so.

sittingon50
Wow, I thought Virginia was going to kill Syracuse. I guess not. Not a good feeling finish for Virginia.

Or for GU (and it's fans).

MJ777
Congrats to the very few classy Syracuse fans. To the rest, I hope your team gets blown out in the next game.

zagsfanforlife
03-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Congrats to the very few classy Syracuse fans. To the rest, I hope your team gets blown out in the next game.

Congrats to all 2 of you.

Zagceo
03-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Complete collapse the last 10 minutes or so.

SU had a lot to do with that "collapse"

jazzdelmar
03-27-2016, 05:20 PM
End of boring Bennett basketball. JB a master.

seacatfan
whomever beats the Zags in NCAA, more often than not, advance to the Final 4 and/or wins the Championship.

Seriously, ANY time the Zags have lost in the round of 32, Sweet 16 or Elite 8, that team has advanced to Final 4 or won it all.

Wth?

UCLA, Wichita St, Duke, UConn, Arizona, Syracuse, u name it...even Davidson went to Elite 8.

So much luck.

Can't believe it.

62, that doesn't seem to work for Arizona. Elite 8 when they beat Zags in both '03 and '14, came up just short of the Final 4 both times.

Cusefan
Thanks! :cheers:

Ezag

Damn I seriously hate Cuse

Birddog
03-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Congrats to all 2 of you.

Good one, are you sure you didn't overcount?

Zagceo
03-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Momentum ......aircraft carrier to turn around

zagsfanforlife
03-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Good one, are you sure you didn't overcount?

I was being generous. Its Easter.

rawkmandale

Any team that beats Gonzaga has skill and fortitude, so congrats to the Orange for "proving" it

ballerstatus
Syracuse plays gritty, they don't give up. Pretty athletic team. What does astonish me is how Virginia didn't even seem to prepare for the zone, all they had to do is watch how Gonzaga wasnt consistently successful.. Very little driving to the basket by Virginia. I don't like Syracuse or Jim, but he's outcoahing his opponents right now.

seacatfan
End of boring Bennett basketball. JB a master.

Yeah, something there. 5th Final 4 for Boeheim I believe. As I mentioned before both this year and in '13 the Orange really weren't that good. Kinda like Izzo somehow getting Michigan St. to the FF last year.

Birddog
03-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Well, the good news is that the Zags didn't blow a 14 point lead, UVA coughed up a much bigger hairball and as a 1 seed.

MJ777
03-27-2016, 05:32 PM
UNC is the last surviving 1 seed. Will they make it to the FF? Probably. Good call by Kenny Smith picking Cuse to win.

ProVeeZag
03-27-2016, 05:32 PM
What a meltdown by a #1 seed in crunch time! SU slapped on their press and UVA took the bait ... hook, line, sinker. Sped up their offense, took them completely out of synch. Time and time again ... UVA rushes their offense. They aren't built that way ... Bennett had no answers whatsoever. I don't especially like Syracuse either ... but I think Boeheim is probably one of the best coaches come tournament time. Shakin' my head at how UVA took the bait over and over and over again with SU's press. Bennett got taken to the woodshed in this one.

Corky
03-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Pretty much what I expected. UVa is showing Syracuse to be what it is--a scrappy team that just isn't very good.

[emoji78][emoji77]

bballbeachbum
03-27-2016, 05:35 PM
better team won. driving against that zone off the bounce is very difficult

Zagdawg
03-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Lol--oops

seacatfan
03-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Well Corky, I'm actually gonna stick with what I said. Sometimes better scrappy than good. Cuse did lose 13 games this season. They happen to be playing well when it really matters in March. Last year's Michigan St. team wasn't anywhere near as good as this year's MSU, yet in '15 they went to the Final 4 and this year they were one and done. Strange things can happen in March.

MDABE80
03-27-2016, 05:39 PM

Thanks for that. Boy are you guys gelling at the right time! Well done my freind.

DixieZag
03-27-2016, 05:40 PM
What a meltdown by a #1 seed in crunch time! SU slapped on their press and UVA took the bait ... hook, line, sinker. Sped up their offense, took them completely out of synch. Time and time again ... UVA rushes their offense. They aren't built that way ... Bennett had no answers whatsoever. I don't especially like Syracuse either ... but I think Boeheim is probably one of the best coaches come tournament time. Shakin' my head at how UVA took the bait over and over and over again with SU's press. Bennett got taken to the woodshed in this one.

I think you are absolutely right.

I also think that a manic pressure defense is best suited for tourney time. If you're playing on a Tuesday night in January in Raleigh maybe it doesn't get the needed effort and people pick right through it. But, in the tourney you know you're kids are going to go full throttle in something they specialize in, and you know the other team might well start to feel tighter. I think it's got built-in tournament advantages.

gonzagafan62
03-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Well Corky, I'm actually gonna stick with what I said. Sometimes better scrappy than good. Cuse did lose 13 games this season. They happen to be playing well when it really matters in March. Last year's Michigan St. team wasn't anywhere near as good as this year's MSU, yet in '15 they went to the Final 4 and this year they were one and done. Strange things can happen in March.

As amazing as this is, most people don't understand this at all. It's unbelievable. This is why DV doesn't work for CBS. He'd probably be a dead man ..

bballbeachbum
03-27-2016, 05:42 PM

yes they can, makes it fun

ProVeeZag
03-27-2016, 05:48 PM
I think you are absolutely right.

I also think that a manic pressure defense is best suited for tourney time. If you're playing on a Tuesday night in January in Raleigh maybe it doesn't get the needed effort and people pick right through it. But, in the tourney you know you're kids are going to go full throttle in something they specialize in, and you know the other team might well start to feel tighter. I think it's got built-in tournament advantages.

Agree with your statement. Prior to today's game, Boeheim was asked in an interview if he planned to make more extensive use of the press since it seemed to work well against GU at the end of that game. Boeheim pooh-poohed that idea, saying that their press is only effective for maybe 2 minutes at a stretch. Seemed like an innocent remark at the time, but the SU press decided the game ...

Birddog
03-27-2016, 06:01 PM
UVA got ourebounded by 2 and had 5 more TO's (13), the press was indeed the difference. The weird things was, they broke the press across the time line with relative ease but failed to slow it down once across.

Zagceo
03-27-2016, 06:07 PM
The key was Richardson Reggie Miller mentioned JB dressing him down for his play……he started the comeback with long 3

ProVeeZag
03-27-2016, 06:26 PM
UVA got ourebounded by 2 and had 5 more TO's (13), the press was indeed the difference. The weird things was, they broke the press across the time line with relative ease but failed to slow it down once across.

Spot on, after UVA turned the ball over time after time or hucked up a prayer in traffic, Mister Mo-Mentum was dressed in orange from head to toe! From about the 4 minute mark on, UVA looked more like an NIT team than a NCAA 1 seed. I really thought their experience and poise wouldn't let them down. Shows anything can happen under the pressure of March Madness.

MJ777
03-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Congrats to the UW women for beating Stanford and making the FF as a 7 Seed. They will play Syracuse a 4 Seed for the right to likely get blown out by UCONN.

demian
03-27-2016, 07:06 PM

Nice compliment by you Cusefan. I like Syracuse. I really like Boeheim. I even have a Syracuse T shirt that I bought during there final four run in 2012-2013 with Michael Carter Williams and the boys. So fun to watch your team today. Malachi Richardsons second half performance was one of the best I have seen in awhile in a close game in the Elite 8. Tyler Lydon was unreal today, those two guys are only freshman, that's cool of them. I imagine Richardson goes pro after this season but man those guys played there butts off in that second half. Congrats to you guys. Enjoy the run.

demian
03-27-2016, 07:09 PM

Wth?

So much luck.

Can't believe it.

Didn't Michigan State also advance to final four when Casey Cavalry senior season team lost to MSU in Sweet 16

MJ777
03-27-2016, 07:19 PM
UNC up 1 with 12+ to go. ND had a 12-0 Run going.
And UNC follows with a 12-0 run to take a 11 pt lead.

orangealum
03-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Nice compliment by you Cusefan. I like Syracuse. I really like Boeheim. I even have a Syracuse T shirt that I bought during there final four run in 2012-2013 with Michael Carter Williams and the boys. So fun to watch your team today. Malachi Richardsons second half performance was one of the best I have seen in awhile in a close game in the Elite 8. Tyler Lydon was unreal today, those two guys are only freshman, that's cool of them. I imagine Richardson goes pro after this season but man those guys played there butts off in that second half. Congrats to you guys. Enjoy the run.

I'd be pretty shocked if Malachi leaves this year. He has no draft buzz. As an NBA prospect, the only thing he really has going for him right now is his shooting and ability to draw fouls, but the kid has shot roughly 38% from the field this year I believe. The only guy on this Syracuse team that seems to be a certain draft pick is Lydon just because he's a stretch 4. I think Gbinije will get taken in the 2nd round, and think Malachi has some potential, but I'd be pretty surprised if anyone leaves early this season.

MJ777
03-27-2016, 07:34 PM

I might have to rethink that last sentence. I can't root for either SU or UNC.

demian
03-27-2016, 07:35 PM
I'd be pretty shocked if Malachi leaves this year. He has no draft buzz. As an NBA prospect, the only thing he really has going for him right now is his shooting and ability to draw fouls, but the kid has shot roughly 38% from the field this year I believe. The only guy on this Syracuse team that seems to be a certain draft pick is Lydon just because he's a stretch 4. I think Gbinije will get taken in the 2nd round, and think Malachi has some potential, but I'd be pretty surprised if anyone leaves early this season.

Oh ok well that is great for Syracuse then that he and others will return that still have elgibility. Have a great final Four and I hope you guys beat North Carolina (UNC by far my least favorite team in college hoops and its not even close)

B Wayne
03-27-2016, 07:36 PM

You keep backpedaling and rationalizing rather than admitting you were wrong. Are you a politician?

orangealum
03-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Oh ok well that is great for Syracuse then that he and others will return that still have elgibility. Have a great final Four and I hope you guys beat North Carolina (UNC by far my least favorite team in college hoops and its not even close)

Thanks! I just got home from my first ever trip to Houston, but if we win on Saturday (and I know we'll be huge underdogs again), I think I might have to fly back out there one more time.

Reborn
03-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Syracuse has certainly made me rethink my whole philosophy on Freshman. I hope Few rethinks his too. Two freshmen led Syracuse to their victory today, and both played a big part in their victory yesterday. Great game to watch, and the Syracuse victory makes me think about how good our team really was this year, at the end of the road. Congrats too Syracuse. Those guys are SOOOOO happy. It's nice to see the underdogs win. I guess that's what makes March Madness so special. Only one #1 seed made it to the Final 4, and just a few days ago most of the pundants were predicting all four would make it this year.

Go Zags!!!

Cusefan
03-28-2016, 05:52 AM

Wth?

So much luck.

Can't believe it.

You guys should wear that like a badge of honor in my opinion. It simply goes to show what a tough out the Zags are every year. It takes a championship caliber team to knock them out of the tournament every year. How many teams can say that?

kitzbuel
03-28-2016, 05:58 AM
Not only did they forget how to run their offense, they seemed to forget how to run their defense, too. They got all kinds of discombobulated.

ZagDaddy
03-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Aside from the meltdown at the end Virginia showed how to pick the SU zone apart by consistently having a player at the high post sliding from one side of the key to the other. This allowed them to get the ball into the center of the zone on a regular basis which resulted in many easy baskets-- particularly in the first half.

This is what I expected to see from GU because we had the personnel with KW and DS to really execute that. Had we followed that strategy I think we might have won by double digits. It's a bit of a mystery to me why we were so content to pass around the perimeter as much as we did without anybody in the high post. We rarely probed the middle of that zone . That was as much of a head scratcher to me as leaving EMAC on the bench at the end.

Oh well. Just another "woulda, coulda, shoulda" at this point.

strikenowhere
03-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Wth?

So much luck.

Can't believe it.

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. At some point maybe in the far future the Zags will actually be on the other side of this equation.

seacatfan
03-28-2016, 12:47 PM
You keep backpedaling and rationalizing rather than admitting you were wrong. Are you a politician?

How is that backpedaling? Syracuse played great the last 10 minutes or so of the game. Before that they looked terrible. They lost 13 games this year. Do you think they are a really good team?

TexasZagFan
03-28-2016, 12:50 PM
How is that backpedaling? Syracuse played great the last 10 minutes or so of the game. Before that they looked terrible. They lost 13 games this year. Do you think they are a really good team?

They're a team that got caught lightning at the right time, along with the other 3 teams in the Final Four. At least a dozen "really good" teams are at home now.

seacatfan
03-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Congrats to the UW women for beating Stanford and making the FF as a 7 Seed. They will play Syracuse a 4 Seed for the right to likely get blown out by UCONN.

I've been watching them in the Tourney and they are a really fun team. On a serious roll right now. Plum, Osahor and Walton have been amazing and they get just enough out of the other players. Only play 6 most games.