PDA

View Full Version : Sports Fan, Team Fan, Both, Other?

MontanaCoyote
03-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Just wondering. What I call a Team Fan here. When "my" team goes out, the TV goes off. I never watch the rest of the tournament, series, playoff, etc. Will check scores but that's it. A true Sports
Fan would not only keep watching but may well watch just about any game, any time, at least in the sport or sports he or she likes most. Both? Other?

Betting I'm in a small minority and I get that. Maybe I'm missing out, but with a spouse who isn't a
sports fan, only watching my teams works pretty well (if you get my point).

So, no BB until Zag tipoff 2016 and then Zags and only Zags. (Will check here for Zag news for sure).

Hey, I'm old, slow and bored so if this or any of my posts waste post space or your time, just let me know. And did this years team take us for a ride or what!?

gonzagafan62
03-27-2016, 09:27 AM
I am with you. Zags is IT. My dad is an Oklahoma fan but i didn't watch one of their games - including yesterday. Saw that they won but it brings me no joy at all (maybe a bit for Spangler lol)

I only watch the zags. I'm 25, and when my team is eliminated I don't care anymore. I get you on the time stuff too. Zags work great for me for me too time wise. Only watching my teams play too works out. I don't plan myself around other teams and it's silly to me.

Zags 4 life!

sylean
03-27-2016, 09:40 AM
we follow the Lady zags closely...and the men of course...my interest gets tuned down significantly when the Ladies are done and the men...but we will watch on the periphery the rest of the tournament but not with a lot of passion...

Rangerzag
03-27-2016, 09:40 AM
I have a one team bracket.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-27-2016, 10:15 AM
I've been a huge college basketball fan for 25+ years now, so I'm definitely am a fan of the sport first. But when the Zags go out there's a brief period after the loss, that I don't really want to watch, or if I do I don't watch with the same enthusiasm. I sometimes will "say" that I'm done with basketball for the season, but even yesterday after telling myself I wasn't going to watch any of the games or care about them, I still found myself watching the last five minutes of the Kansas Villanova game last night. March Madness is just too good to limit my enjoyment to one team. Having said that, as soon as GU loses, I start to get excited about baseball season. It works quite nicely to have MLB and NCAAB as my two favorite sports. As soon as one season ends, the other is starting.

CdAZagFan
03-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Agree with Peninsula above... I'm a big college basketball fan, but my enthusiasm diminishes greatly when Zags lose. I haven't watched any other games this weekend, and almost made me sick yesterday listening to sports radio everyone gushing over how great Syracuse is, etc. I may watch some of the final four - but to me all the excitement of the tourney is in the first two weekends.

Edited to add: I will probably be more excited to watch BYU in the NIT semis, than the rest of the big dance.

seacatfan
03-27-2016, 10:26 AM
It depends year to year. Sometimes I'm so disappointed when my teams lose that I tune out. I also lose interest if the Final 4 is Duke, Kentucky, and a couple other teams I don't care about. This year I'm finding the teams left and the matchups compelling.

I'm also really intrigued by the Women's Tournament. UConn is chasing history going for a 4th straight Championship, and the Pac 12 has 3 teams in the Elite 8.

Corky
03-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Both. Love sports and love my teams (Zag Hoops, Hurricane football, Detroit Tigers, Seahawks, and Montreal Canadiens).

bartruff1
03-27-2016, 11:25 AM
I have no interest in sports as a spectator ....none...unless it involves a connection of some kind....I follow Gonzaga Men's basketball only because I went to school there and roomed with a player and got to know the others...

For lack of a better explanation, I think I outgrew watching sports and moved on to other things....I am pretty sure I could name the starters for the 1956 Yankees, Dodgers, Giants ect....and I can't name a single player on their current teams .....life got in the way...

If the weather is bad and there is nothing more interesting to do....I might watch the Seahawks...and I could only identify a couple of them...

dan71w
03-27-2016, 12:02 PM
for me, my interest is all Zags, I am huge fan of the school and institution. I am soo proud of this little school that competes nationally, not just basketball, academically. I love how the teams, coaches, staff, and everyone else involved support and represent our community.

In a world filled with hate, corruption, violence, greed,,,,,,, Gonzaga has always presented itself as class above what we see in our daily lives. They have consistently maintain this image since before ole Bing was here. Classy, community, proud, tradition That is Gonzaga.

I have never attended any college, so I have no actual affiliation with the school, But i know their image is impeccable, and honorable.

webspinnre
03-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Definitely have a strong preference for the Zags, but am a sports fan as well. Watched and/or listened to 3 of the 4 e8 games over the weekend in at least part. I've actually watched the least cbb this year of any of the last 10 years.

Ekrub
03-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Love college basketball but the tourney exit always hurts too much... can't continue watching. I'm able to watch the remainder of the NFL playoffs after the hawks lose though

ZaggyDog
03-27-2016, 09:05 PM
I've been a fan for about 8 years, grew up in Colorado, so Buffs fan prior to moving to the region. I don't pay much attention to other basketball teams, internet, tv, or in person.

SoonerZag
03-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Love college basketball but the tourney exit always hurts too much... can't continue watching. I'm able to watch the remainder of the NFL playoffs after the hawks lose though

I grew up in Oklahoma & live 20 minutes from OU. But I root for The Zags since 1999 ever since I saw them in the tournament. Follow Big XII & WCC hoops closely. I care more about College Football & College basketball than other sports. If my teams go out I still follow everything.

rawkmandale
03-27-2016, 09:35 PM
I normally get super depressed for a couple of days after Gonzaga gets knocked out, and start thinking about my lovely Mariners - win or lose they make my summer sweet - because I don't feel the need to watch every game - just when I have the time - track every score though. I never miss watching a Gonzaga game (well, maybe if traveling - but schedule that when we play Pacific or something). Then, when the Mariners fall out of contention, I start thinking about college football (Boise State/UW/WSU/EWU) and the Seahawks. I even go to a few East Valley HS games. So, I am never really without a sport interest.

However, this year I didn't get as depressed when we got bounced - just took a day off giving a crap, but still found myself watching portions of all 4 of the Elite 8 games. As others have said, I am happy that not too many of the Dukes, Kentucky, Kansas types of teams made the Final Four. Now, if UNC will lose, I will have been pretty happy with this season. This Gonzaga team certainly COULD have gone farther, but they played really well in the tournament, and represented the university and the city beautifully. I am excited for next year, because the quality recruits just keep on coming! Oh - and I plan to watch BYU on Tuesday - out of support for the WCC.

bartruff1
03-28-2016, 07:30 AM
There is too much to do here.

I would rather play and compete on occasion than watch.

You can hike, and mountain bike, and motorbike the trails, you can boat and fish and sail and kayak on the lakes and rivers and race cars and go carts, play golf and tennis in the summer...

You can ski and snowboard , and snowshoe , and Sno Cat , and swim indoors in the winter.

Gonzaga Basketball is the only thing I will arrange my time around, never miss a game on TV....occasionally attend a game or the Tourney.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2016, 07:48 AM
One trick bulldog. Way lots else to do here. ����

zagsfanforlife
03-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Sports Junkie. Will be depressed when GU loses, will scream shout, hit pillows, maybe go "talk to someone", but cant stay away from it. Rest of the tourney still happening, MLB coming up, NBA playoffs about to happen and need to start preparing for my fantasy football draft come august. It never stops!!

TravelinZag
03-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Used to follow many sports. Now, primarily Zags and college basketball. Olympic sports in olympic years. Watch some pro and college football games, but without passion. Baseball, NBA and hockey seasons are interminably long. Plus, quality of baseball denigrated by too many teams; half of the current players would never have made "the show" in earlier times. Other cultural (performing arts and film) and recreational opportunities compete for my interest. Reading and walking much more appealing than they used to be.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Used to be a sports junkie. Outside of Zags, I spend more time watching my son's and grandson's teams. That will change when HS football returns in September. That's one of the benefits of living in North Texas. It's not just the football, it's the pageantry, communities coming together, all that Friday Night Lights stuff.

My son's HS will likely have two freshman teams, two JV teams, and the varsity. With the middle schools thrown in, you can get your football fix Monday thru Friday.

Rangers should have a good year, while the Cowboys will dominate the sports scene when camp starts in July. DFW's a great sports area.

Zagceo
03-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Used to be a sports junkie. Outside of Zags, I spend more time watching my son's and grandson's teams. That will change when HS football returns in September. That's one of the benefits of living in North Texas. It's not just the football, it's the pageantry, communities coming together, all that Friday Night Lights stuff.

My son's HS will likely have two freshman teams, two JV teams, and the varsity. With the middle schools thrown in, you can get your football fix Monday thru Friday.

Rangers should have a good year, while the Cowboys will dominate the sports scene when camp starts in July. DFW's a great sports area.

Same for other schools in your conference?

TexasZagFan
03-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Same for other schools in your conference?

It varies...there are high schools throughout the Metroplex with student bodies exceeding 5-6K. Coppell has about 3800, and it's going to grow, thanks to a new development that's within the Dallas city limits, but the kids will be going to school in Coppell. Long story, litigated over a decade, but it's going to add 10,000 residents, plus a dozen or more office complexes. Traffic is going to be a freaking nightmare when it's built out. As it stands now, the roundtrip between my house and the HS (6 miles each way) is a minimum of 45 minutes.

Realignment/redistricting occurs every two years. We caught a break this time, but it's always a challenge. Yes, most of the other schools have multiple freshman & JV teams...after all, this is Texas. lol