• Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Share positive thoughts on the season

28 wins.
    A share of the WCC title.
    18th straight NCAA appearance.
    Back to back Sweet 16s.
    Wins over two Top 25 teams in the Big Dance.
    We outlasted Michigan State, Kentucky, and UConn in the Big Dance.
    Dranginis tied the school's career wins record.
    The guys fought back to salvage the season when many left this team for dead.
    These guys were a lot of fun to watch.

All with a thin roster of healthy, eligible scholarship players.

Go!
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective
  • Alum08
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2014

The HBO series allowed me to connect with this team in a way I hadn't been able to since college at GU.

Comment

• Zags11
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

So many. Way more positives then any negative ones. I am heartbroken on how it ended but this team and staff was outstounding.

Comment

• northsidezagfan
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2009

It was a hell of a ride. Amazing to see what this team was made of with their backs against the wall these last few weeks. Takes some serious stones to make the plays that Dranginis, Wilt, Domas, Emac, Perk, and Melson did in some clutch moments. Very proud to be a fan.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Can anyone put a positive spin on eMac leaving early in this game? I'm pretty bummed/depressed for him.

I love this team more than I loved most of the others (besides 15, and 12 and of course 09.) this team wasn't fun to watch for me till HBO came out. Then you saw transformation.

This team evolved into a sweet sixteen team like I imagined in the beginning of the season ....

I'm so glad I'm not a fan of any other school. Love these players and kids and Gonzaga
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

"Guard U" wasn't this year. . .Still feel they over-achieved against expectations. I think if you told the average fan before the season began that they would make it to the Sweet 16 after losing Pangos and Bell to graduation, and Karnowski to injury, the avearge fan would say "I'll take it."
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Zags11
              Banned
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
              "Guard U" wasn't this year. . .Still feel they over-achieved against expectations. I think if you told the average fan before the season began that they would make it to the Sweet 16 after losing Pangos and Bell to graduation, and Karnowski to injury, the avearge fan would say "I'll take it."
              Agree but Perkins and melson are young. I think they will be up there at end of career.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2015

334 Or so teams would kill to finish where the Zags did!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Great development and experience for the young guns-- this will pay dividends in the long run.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2009

Cuse loss was an upset. We were favored by 4.5 going in. A couple of interesting thoughts on this team.

They beat a red hot Seton Hall team that had just won their conference championship beating Villanova who took down top ranked Kansas today. They blew out a solid Utah team big time. They proved who was the best in WCC in the tournament.

In my mind this team had the capability to go all the way potentially and made a darn good run at it. That's why the upset was so painful this year. They had the goods. We led by 9 at around 6 minutes, 5 at just under three minutes. Still up 2 at 1:28 and Cuse went up by 1 with 22 seconds left. We blew our chances in the final 11 seconds and we did have our shot at it. It could have been a win as easy as it was a loss. Not taking anything away from a hard charging Syracuse at all, but it was crazy at the end and we got the wrong end in the scrum.

I will remember them as one of our best Gonzaga teams. They really got it together this past month and I am so proud of them.
                    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• CodeCobalt
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Mar 2009

Everything about this season is a positive thought. We showed force in the face of adversity, grew, 18 consecutive NCAA tournaments, sweet 16 like 7 times? We lost to Syracuse and it happens. no one can validly say SU is better than GU or vice versa. we gotta play more often as we make a great match up and a little zone training never hurts.

See you soon Cuse

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

The fight this team had truly stands out. Coach Few and staff did a remarkable job. Karno's injury really forced this team to come together and claw our way into the tournament to extend the streak.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post

The fight this team had truly stands out. Coach Few and staff did a remarkable job. Karno's injury really forced this team to come together and claw our way into the tournament to extend the streak.
                          Patchwork guard corps and all American front court made for interesting ups and downs.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            Patchwork guard corps and all American front court made for interesting ups and downs.
                            You are my favorite poster (sincerely). Others wax poetic, it's the "positive thread" and you note "interesting ups and downs." You, sir, are a 5-star curmudgeon, having honed your craft for over a decade and could jump to the pro-ranks at any paper in this country.

My favorite thing about this year was that even Jazz got starry eyed giggly about a player. Disneyesque. Dreams really do come true.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                              You are my favorite poster (sincerely). Others wax poetic, it's the "positive thread" and you note "interesting ups and downs." You, sir, are a 5-star curmudgeon, having honed your craft for over a decade and could jump to the pro-ranks at any paper in this country.

My favorite thing about this year was that even Jazz got starry eyed giggly about a player. Disneyesque. Dreams really do come true.
                              I was on the Bonus day one. Coined the term. A Rara Avis indeed. My box is empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X