PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse Post Game Get it Off Your Chest Thread

RenoZag
03-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Vent here. Keep it clean and keep it respectful. Hurts to lose one like that.

strikenowhere
03-25-2016, 09:01 PM
Feels like UCLA all over again

tinfoilzag
03-25-2016, 09:01 PM
Love all the Zags but KW and Sabonis didn't deserve the outcome of this game after the way they played.

My heart is breaking for them. So proud they wore the uniform.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-25-2016, 09:02 PM
I hope the respect will be directed to the players, nobody is more heartbroken than them right now.

RenoZag
03-25-2016, 09:02 PM

Yup. Squandered a lead with some careless turnovers.

Alum08
03-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Terrible final play call at the end. Press really hurt us. Couldn't board. TOs. Sabonis triple-teamed. Basically everything we couldn't do and we still almost won.

seacatfan
03-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Nah, this isn't like UCLA. They were up 16 or 17 well into the 2nd half in that one. Totally different. Extended the lead to 7 in the 2nd half tonight, not even close to the same kind of collapse.

Zagdawg
03-25-2016, 09:06 PM
And we still had a shot at the end---if only a dish to Sabonis who had his man sealed instead of an attempted floater and we would be singing a different tune.

Very close despite all the turnovers.

doctorzag
03-25-2016, 09:07 PM

No way. Not even close.

Spike94
03-25-2016, 09:08 PM
I posted in another thread, that we choked. And yes I thought about it being like UCLA. And it was in that we still should have won the game and gave it away. But, it shouldn't have been that way. When a team is allowed to hack, slap and basically mug anyone without a foul being called it it being called good defense, that is hard to beat. That isn't good defense. It reminds me of the Louisville club a couple years ago. The press and pendants said the defense was stifling when in reality it was foul every time and make the refs call it. Knowing that they won't. That is what happened tonight. Sabonis was hacked just about everytime he got the ball. JP was fouled on that last shot. And yet we were called for numerous touch fouls. I really am proud of our guys. We went further than I thought we would. And honestly, I don't see either of these teams beating Virginia, but it still sucks. We should have won that game and everyone knows it. We lost, Syracuse didn't win.

zagsfanforlife
Pretty close to UCLA. Just hope Sabonis comes back. We blew this one. Feel for the seniors

uZiGiZaG
Nah, this isn't like UCLA. They were up 16 or 17 well into the 2nd half in that one. Totally different. Extended the lead to 7 in the 2nd half tonight, not even close to the same kind of collapse.

Yes it is. Of course the exact situation isn't the same but it's the same exact outcome..

Once again we blew a tight game we HAD IN THE BAG against an elite coach in the tourny

9-1 run to end the game.. 9-1.. Few couldn't draw up 1 play to beat the press.. Few couldn't draw up 1 play for a game winner and he had nothing for the final desperation heave

It just stinks that this same crap continues to happen in new ways. That was OUR GAME. We had it. We gave it away..

The players buckled under pressure bc the coach buckled .. He should of had them calm and composed in the huddle with every scenario being gone over.. Yet we didn't even look like we belonged in the game the last 3 minutes

RenoZag
03-25-2016, 09:09 PM
And we still had a shot at the end---if only a dish to Sabonis who had his man sealed instead of an attempted floater and we would be singing a different tune.

Very close despite all the turnovers.

Melson and Dranginis were both wide open. Check the replay.

DixieZag
Yup. Squandered a lead with some careless turnovers.

Nah, it wasn't like UCLA to me. Cuse had been so tough, and we just knew we wouldn't get a call. The giveaway on the full court press was bad, but they were so big and fast that you knew we'd have trouble with the pressure.

When we didn't get the basket when up 6 with 3:00 left, I knew trouble was coming, just b/c that's too strong a team.

We really did get hosed on the foul calls, Sabonis should have had 10 fts on his own, but we can just expect that by now.

Perk got fouled as that guys arm went right through him after the block, but no one expects that call. Somehow they had to get KW or DS that shot, but Cuse just so tough.

I AM SO PROUD OF THIS TEAM's run, I am PROUD that they came back from down 5 having just given up a 12-0 run. I am proud they played to the last minute, game wasn't decided till the last second.

Just not a ton to wail about. Yeah, we shoulda won this game, but fk it. We had one hell of an unexpected run and these guys have NOTHING to hang their heads about.

Come back DS! Get us to the FF next year.

Proud to be a Zag

Sarenyon
Can't believe the press messed us up like that. The guys have generally responded well to that this year. Too many turnovers! Can't believe the let Sabonis get hacked and pushed like that, but call us on the fouls on the other side, a bit one sided there. Got lucky on the out of bounds call at the end, but could not convert.

Frustrating, but nothing like the UCLA game... this one was generally close the whole time.

coolhandzag
over the top with a pick against the full court press? Zags were not prepared for that.
That's the bracket though.....

SWZag
03-25-2016, 09:10 PM
What is there to get off our chest? I can't think of any. Maybe that Sabonis is going to the NBA?

kitzbuel
03-25-2016, 09:10 PM
No way. Not even close.

Agreed

katman50
03-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Bummer all the way around. Careless turnovers against a very effective zone. Thank you players for giving us a bit of a ride. The season ended for me tonight as well. Can get on with my life. Aren't even interested in watching any of the other games from now to the Final Four. Thanks for the players and for this discussion board. Again, bummed out but I will be better tomorrow.

GrizZAG
Really a game Zags should have won....BUT...

Easy to lay blame
What could have been done differently?

Drive hard and get to the line
Feed bonus on that last chance and he goes in hard and draws the foul..we win
Get Wilt open for a three in last quarter
Who.knows
This was not generally a ref friendly game...ask Domas

Ezag
Don't read the Cuse board, they are very classless as you would expect

basketballzag
Vent here. Keep it clean and keep it respectful. Hurts to lose one like that.

All you had to do was the pass the ball out this was a terrible decision making play
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CecjvvXW4AA--jK.jpg

FGZagDad
03-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Crap we were one stop, one stop away from the a elite eight!,,

over the top with a pick against the full court press? Zags were not prepared for that.
That's the bracket though.....

gmo
03-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Sabonis and Kyle didn't see nearly enough of the ball the last few possessions with the game on the line. Season came down to 2-3 possessions and the Zags didn't go with their best weapons by far.

gueastcoast
03-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Nah, it wasn't like UCLA to me. Cuse had been so tough, and we just knew we wouldn't get a call. The giveaway on the full court press was bad, but they were so big and fast that you knew we'd have trouble with the pressure.

When we didn't get the basket when up 6 with 3:00 left, I knew trouble was coming, just b/c that's too strong a team.

We really did get hosed on the foul calls, Sabonis should have had 10 fts on his own, but we can just expect that by now.

Perk got fouled as that guys arm went right through him after the block, but no one expects that call. Somehow they had to get KW or DS that shot, but Cuse just so tough.

I AM SO PROUD OF THIS TEAM's run, I am PROUD that they came back from down 5 having just given up a 12-0 run. I am proud they played to the last minute, game wasn't decided till the last second.

Just not a ton to wail about. Yeah, we shoulda won this game, but fk it. We had one hell of an unexpected run and these guys have NOTHING to hang their heads about.

Come back DS! Get us to the FF next year.

Proud to be a Zag

What Dixie said

Zagdawg
03-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Melson open or Sabonis with man sealed and easy layin or foul

Zags11
03-25-2016, 09:14 PM

Eh I disagree. We were up 7 with 3 min left. JB did a wrinkle and we didn't have a response.

Saxon_zag
03-25-2016, 09:14 PM
5 free throws.. 5

also did we never practice breaking full court pressure? Who would have known it isn't the zone that would do us in it was a press

Nice when your senior guard comes out of a timeout and inbounds it to the other team directly under your own hoop... I think 12 year olds in AAU know not to do that..

SoonerZag
03-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Should be heading to Elite 8. Very sad right now, but I'll take a Sweet 16 trip. Beats going to the NIT.

SoonerZag
03-25-2016, 09:15 PM
5 free throws.. 5

Yeah, it was a joke.

DixieZag
03-25-2016, 09:17 PM
All you had to do was the pass the ball out this was a terrible decision making play

I don't see that as that bad a shot, actually. I think the Cuse guy was able to block it in part b/c he knew that at 4 seconds, the fact that he hacked Perk's arm down the moment he went through the ball wouldn't be called, so he could go especially aggressive, perk just need a touch more arch - maybe it was going in?

Lots of ups and downs. Sorry guys, maybe this is just the wrong thread, b/c I don't see a ton to really get all frustrated about. The game had the feel that Cuse had another level of defense in them and were so big/fast that it would get to the last shot anyway. Too bad SD missed that first FT, but, that's the way it goes.

ZagLawGrad
The final back breaker was the piss poor pass against the press that gave Cuse the easy steal and bucket. Northern Iowa revisited.

Zags11
Yes it is. Of course the exact situation isn't the same but it's the same exact outcome..

Once again we blew a tight game we HAD IN THE BAG against an elite coach in the tourny

9-1 run to end the game.. 9-1.. Few couldn't draw up 1 play to beat the press.. Few couldn't draw up 1 play for a game winner and he had nothing for the final desperation heave

It just stinks that this same crap continues to happen in new ways. That was OUR GAME. We had it. We gave it away..

The players buckled under pressure bc the coach buckled .. He should of had them calm and composed in the huddle with every scenario being gone over.. Yet we didn't even look like we belonged in the game the last 3 minutes

This but be ready for the kids choked and never coaches. You play like your coach. I'm heartbroken for the kids.

Zags11
03-25-2016, 09:18 PM
5 free throws.. 5

also did we never practice breaking full court pressure? Who would have known it isn't the zone that would do us in it was a press

Nice when your senior guard comes out of a timeout and inbounds it to the other team directly under your own hoop... I think 12 year olds in AAU know not to do that..

He had a horrible brain freeze.

dan71w
03-25-2016, 09:18 PM
great run for our team. Proud to be a zag!
it was the dumb ref's END OF STORY.

seacatfan
03-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Have to agree to disagree. This one had several big momentum swings but essentially was a tight game the whole 2nd half. How in the world is that the same as blowing a big lead like they did against UCLA? It's not.

TheZagPhish
03-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Ya know, I'm all right. Heck of a team, great season, supreme media and a glorious, close finish.

Cheers! That was a terrific ride!

http://cl.ly/fW9M/could-be-worse.jpg

jazzdelmar
03-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Melson does t make that shot in a million years. Josh made right play

caduceus
03-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Meh. We played well beyond our seed. Might have made FF with Karno. Great effort by the guys to win the conference tourney and beyond. Next year should be another great year.

Alum08
03-25-2016, 09:21 PM

Look at the opposite corner.

TheZagPhish
03-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Meh. We played well beyond our seed. Might have made FF with Karno. Great effort by the guys to win the conference tourney and beyond. Next year should be another great year.

:cheers:

JPtheBeasta
03-25-2016, 09:22 PM

At some point, the players have to make plays. We had a shot to win despite those plays at the end. Blaming Coach Few is your prerogative but I respectfully disagree.

CDC84
03-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Really, it came down to 17 turnovers and coughing up 6 offensive boards in the final 2 minutes. If you saw Few in the post game presser he indicated that those things were just killer. Some mental errors handling the press. Few felt Josh's final shot was a good one. The kid just made a great play on it. I know Melson was wide open on the right, but he has been inconsistent all year, and you really want something going to the rim to give you a chance for an offensive put back.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Look at the opposite corner.

Neither does he.

uZiGiZaG
03-25-2016, 09:25 PM
At some point, the players have to make plays. We had a shot to win despite those plays at the end. Blaming Coach Few is your prerogative but I respectfully disagree.

I hear ya.. Problem is, it's the same year in and year out, and the players change

Few also should of brought EMAC back in in the last 2 minutes.. I totally agree with the benching, but then he made another silly mistake by not bringing him back in when we needed him for so many of those exact situations we were in, he would of been way more ready than Melson at that point of the game

Goshzagit
03-25-2016, 09:26 PM

Agreed. Silas was off. I realize McClellan was TO happy, but still feel we should have finished the game with him in the lineup.

However, I was screaming for Perkins to pass it to Sabonis down low the entire possession.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but bottom-line….Josh should have hit that shot.

Zag 77
03-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Naturally losing hurts at this point of the tournament, but it does not seem to hurt as much as some I have seen since 1999. Not that many weeks ago we thought the season was completely shot. Losing Karnowski early in the season created a massive challenge that this coaching staff did a tremendous job to over come. All things considered, getting to the 3rd Round of the NCAA Tournament is not a bad result in anybody's book, especially when you look at how much the team improved over the last month of the season.

Now we have to sweat it through the next few months to see which players and coaches will be staying and which ones will be leaving.

JPtheBeasta
03-25-2016, 09:27 PM
The final back breaker was the piss poor pass against the press that gave Cuse the easy steal and bucket. Northern Iowa revisited.

I love Dranginis. I can't fathom how he missed a wide open Perkins 6 feet away. I'm not blaming. If you believe in fate, this is the time to do it. I can't explain that play.

kitzbuel
03-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Really, it came down to 17 turnovers and coughing up 6 offensive boards in the final 2 minutes. If you saw Few in the post game presser he indicated that those things were just killer. Some mental errors handling the press. Few felt Josh's final shot was a good one. The kid just made a great play on it. I know Melson was wide open on the right, but he has been inconsistent all year, and you really want something going to the rim to give you a chance for an offensive put back.
I had no problem with Perkins' drive. Attacking the interior was working.

bigblahla
03-25-2016, 09:28 PM
Most guards learn to not to jump into the air with the ball and no outlet pass except to a covered teammate by junior high....some never do.....

Alum08
Neither does he.

.360 3PT%
Favorite spot
Senior
Named Drain-O
Already has attempted a game winner this year

Ye of no faith.

Saxon_zag
I love Dranginis. I can't fathom how he missed a wide open Perkins 6 feet away. I'm not blaming. If you believe in fate, this is the time to do it. I can't explain that play.

I can't believe our senior guard would throw that pass out of a timeout under the hoop like that. Honestly the most baffling thing of the last few minutes

Stache
03-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Our Achillies this year - strings of empty possessions. Unfortunately we had our string in the last 2:30 minutes tonight. We got flustered and rushed. Great run for 5 games and 37 minutes.

Zags11
03-25-2016, 09:35 PM
I can't believe our senior guard would throw that pass out of a timeout under the hoop like that. Honestly the most baffling thing of the last few minutes

I knew we were screwed. I saw the melt down coming. Wilt missing that bunny at the end, and not scoring up 6. We had the ball twice.

SwainZag
03-25-2016, 09:35 PM

Actually they did beat the press and KW missed a 2 footer. It's amazing how easily the blame goes directly to Few when the players don't execute.

Zag 77
03-25-2016, 09:36 PM

Even the best athletes will make mistakes in athletic competition. That does not necessarily equate to buckling under pressure. Sometimes a mistake is just a mistake, and sometimes shots just don't go in. Sometimes even your best defensive effort is met by a superior offensive play by the opponent.

RenoZag
03-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Great run for 5 games and 37 minutes.

Yes it was. To finish in the Sweet 16 after the troubles in the earlier part of the season was unexpected.

Zagdawg
03-25-2016, 09:40 PM
Agree--the team did great --- the young guys got a bunch of great experience and we exceeded expectations.

I am looking forward to next year once again.

Zags11
03-25-2016, 09:41 PM
It was a great run by the kids, the staff and the head coach. It was just absolutely gut wrenching how it ended. This one stings really, really bad.

TacomaZAG
03-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Tale of the tape...................

1 FG...............one.............in the last 7+ minutes, and a total of 5 points in that time, all by Sabonis That's worse than the UCLA game, by a long shot.

17 TO's, and we still should have won the game. Few once again playing not to lose, taking the air out of the ball with a minute to go, and guess what...............we lose.

Good shot by Josh, no way Scuse was going to let Wiltjer or Sabonis beat them. The team scored 60 and KW/DS had 41 combined, not much help.

Too bad, the guys had totally righted the ship the last couple of weeks and then laid an egg the last 7+ minutes tonight.

Another great year, kept the streak alive. This one hurts, a lot.

Go ZAGS

Zag 77
03-25-2016, 09:44 PM
The out of bounds call on Cooney was clearly wrong. We were frankly lucky to get a chance to get one last chance at an offensive play. I am not defending the refs because they missed about a dozen fouls that Syracuse committed against Sabonis.

Syracuse1
03-25-2016, 09:46 PM
The out of bounds call on Cooney was clearly wrong. We were frankly lucky to get a chance to get one last chance at an offensive play. I am not defending the refs because they missed about a dozen fouls that Syracuse committed against Sabonis.

Also missed a half dozen travel calls on Sabonis :)

bballbeachbum
03-25-2016, 09:49 PM

BS :)

Plainsman
03-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Unfortunately mediocre guard play cost us another win in this one which is a real shame because the guards came together and performed so well through the WCC tourney and the NCAA first two games. I think the pressure of the tourney finally caught up with them tonight. Still a great rally to end the season but a real frustrater in the very last.

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2016, 09:50 PM
You know... I bought a 22 oz bottle of Stone Double Ba$tard in the Rye for my victory beer... it became my drown my sorrows beer... I am convinced that though it was damn yummy... the emotions changed the flavors... but I digress.

Look... half the people on here complaining about the end of the game are the same people talking about the NIT a few weeks ago. I was texting a board member earlier today. I said, "This is all gravy at this point, I just want a good game from the boys"... they did that in spades. Yeah... the ending sucked. No, you all can tell me 30 million ways to Sunday how this was like UCLA... no... not even remotely close. I can accept this loss. It was close and back and forth. Our boys battled their asses off. UCLA hurt... badly. This one stung a little... but crap... the same folks comparing it to UCLA are the same ones who gave up 3 weeks ago.

I am sad for Eric. I am sad for both Kyles... I truly am... but at the same time, this same set of guys pushed it to the last damn possession to get to the Elite 8. #### it man... be happy for them... be proud of them.

kyle dixon
03-25-2016, 09:53 PM
crush them and show the most arrogant d bag fan base I have ever encountered. Go home orange and congrats in an advance. Go Cavs!

Zag 77
03-25-2016, 09:53 PM
We were 4-5 and Syracuse was 14-16. We lose by 3. You have to figure if we get Sabonis even 2 more foul calls, we pull it out.

zagsfanforlife
03-25-2016, 09:54 PM

Yup. It's usually those that don't know basketball who think Sabonis is traveling when he is using unbelievable pivoting and footwork

Zags11
03-25-2016, 09:54 PM
You know... I bought a 22 oz bottle of Stone Double Ba$tard in the Rye for my victory beer... it became my drown my sorrows beer... I am convinced that though it was damn yummy... the emotions changed the flavors... but I digress.

Look... half the people on here complaining about the end of the game are the same people talking about the NIT a few weeks ago. I was texting a board member earlier today. I said, "This is all gravy at this point, I just want a good game from the boys"... they did that in spades. Yeah... the ending sucked. No, you all can tell me 30 million ways to Sunday how this was like UCLA... no... not even remotely close. I can accept this loss. It was close and back and forth. Our boys battled their asses off. UCLA hurt... badly. This one stung a little... but crap... the same folks comparing it to UCLA are the same ones who gave up 3 weeks ago.

I am sad for Eric. I am sad for both Kyles... I truly am... but at the same time, this same set of guys pushed it to the last damn possession to get to the Elite 8. #### it man... be happy for them... be proud of them.

I never gave up on them Liz. Go read prior posts. I'm the one in January standing up for this squad. It was like UCLA to me. We didn't score in last 6:30 per tbs announcers. We had a brain fart turnover and let a lead go up 7 to losing by 3 in last 3:30.

It is pretty damn similar.

DixieZag
03-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Anyone else kinda giggle when the slow-mo replays showing the block on Perk, the guy coming into him hard enough that he got the ball and continued right on through to slash the arm.

I get that it's not going to be called with 4 seconds left, but as the guys arm is ripping down Perk's, one might have thought the announcers might say something.

As I said, I expected a big Cuse comeback b/c of strength and speed and 0-boards (they have their own proto-Sabonis), I expected some mistakes, and yet if DS hit both FTs the game is tied and us with the ball, if Perk gets a little more arch, that ball was going in . . .

I am just proud. That's all. this team had 6 guys, basically. They played their asses off for about a month, at the right time and were right there. NO SHAME

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2016, 09:57 PM
I never gave up on them Liz. Go read prior posts. I'm the one in January standing up for this squad. It was like UCLA to me. We didn't score in last 6:30 per tbs announcers. We had a brain fart turnover and let a lead go up 7 to losing by 3 in last 3:30.

It is pretty damn similar.

Talk to me in about a week. I promise you that you won't feel the same way.

CUSE
03-25-2016, 09:58 PM
It was a good game. You guys have a solid team. It could have gone either way. Both teams have gone a lot farther than anyone expected. You guys will be back.

drnoe
03-25-2016, 10:00 PM
All I can say is... bless you boys. Thanks for a great topsy-turvy season. Didn't expect Sweet 16... mission accomplished. Time to think about all the possibilities for next season. We'll soon have some pretty serious answers.

Zags11
Talk to me in about a week. I promise you that you won't feel the same way.

Oh it will. It'll hurt like hell Sunday. It will hurt like hell for a bit. Life does go on. I'm proud of this years team.

Mantua
Same can be said about complaining about non foul calls

Your motives for posting on this particular thread can't be good.

DixieZag
03-25-2016, 10:02 PM
We were 4-5 and Syracuse was 14-16. We lose by 3. You have to figure if we get Sabonis even 2 more foul calls, we pull it out.

Or if they shot their normal average, even, we win by 2. Get us 2 more trips to the line, we win by 5.

We knew halfway through the second half we were playing 8 again. Big money on Syracuse v. UVA - two big schools, lots of history. Fought through it to have a damn good chance.

Sun will come up tomorrow, the kids will soon realize just how special a group they are in a few days, and I'm saying that to every one of them I happen to run into.

Zags11
03-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Just here for the conversation my good man

Move on.....my man

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2016, 10:09 PM
Move on.....my man

Play nice

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2016, 10:11 PM

Play nice. You know you aren't making comments to have a good conversation.

DixieZag
03-25-2016, 10:11 PM

So, what you're saying, is that your guys just played clean and didn't foul in all action around Sabonis trying to get the ball up, but we were actually fouling (As opposed to you) in exact similar situations - and that people who know basketball are tuned into the fact that the disparity represented nothing but reality . . . And Sabonis often punches the floor after a made basket but no call.

Just as an aside, while talking FT disparities, I guess I don't know much ball b/c I didn't know you got to shoot two when you got fouled running through the lane and the ball gets slapped out of bounds. That was a new one to me.

But, I don't care. You guys are a good team, very tough, we had ya' beat, but you found another gear.

Mantua
03-25-2016, 10:14 PM

Please consider a bit more introspection. Let us lick our wounds in peace.

scott257
03-25-2016, 10:15 PM
I hear ya.. Problem is, it's the same year in and year out, and the players change

Few also should of brought EMAC back in in the last 2 minutes.. I totally agree with the benching, but then he made another silly mistake by not bringing him back in when we needed him for so many of those exact situations we were in, he would of been way more ready than Melson at that point of the game

And yet there are nine other teams in our conference that fail to make it in to the tournament year after year. I bet the fans at those schools really sympathize with you.

Zags11
03-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Play nice

Do I have to? ;). Joking.

I didn't know wilt didn't score for last 13+ minutes. Its funny when your caught up in a game how you don't notice it all.

Syracuse1
03-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Play nice. You know you aren't making comments to have a good conversation.

Not true, haven't said anything rude or the like

Zag 77
03-25-2016, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a-T95FWJkI

Starts at about the 12:00 mark and goes to about 19:00. Few makes some comments on his perspective of the last few minutes and what they were trying to do.

Saxon_zag
03-25-2016, 10:32 PM

Not exactly.. We play through our bigs and attempted 5 free throws the whole game... The cooney steal at the end was a blown call as he was in bounds, but the lack of fouls and beating Sabonis had to endure throughout the game was laughable to only have 5 attempts.

If you actually think Sabonis was traveling outside of the one that was called, you literally don't know what constitutes a travel.

Saxon_zag
03-25-2016, 10:33 PM
And yet there are nine other teams in our conference that fail to make it in to the tournament year after year. I bet the fans at those schools really sympathize with you.

Totally.

At least we are better than Santa Clara and USF guys.....

Zagceo
03-25-2016, 10:36 PM

Go home ....ACC trash......you complain about Duke ...and yet you're far worse.......you are trash

MickMick
03-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Perkins

sonuvazag
03-25-2016, 10:56 PM
I really respect this edition of the Gonzaga team, players and coaches, for making me think all week that they could/should be playing for a Final Four berth.

But their system of attacking the Syracuse zone was weaker than I expected even though some really great shooting from Wilt and beastly play inside by Domas partly made up for it. I think a mistake-prone Emac would have been better in the second half than the almost complete lack of dribble penetration that resulted in his absence. You have to collapse the zone by getting into the teeth of the defense and then kick the ball out/away for the open shots.

It looked like their system was to kick the ball around the perimeter until Kyle or Domas was open. But after ball reversals, almost nothing... just kick it back around again. For whatever reason they didn't understand how to beat the zone.

They played hard, played great defense, turned back an early second-half run and put themselves in a position to hold on for the win.

I'm really shocked they didn't win that game but not apoplectic like I was after Tournament meltdown of which we do not speak.

roxdoc
03-25-2016, 11:35 PM
Despite the TO's and lack of charity strip opportunities we were ahead and in a position to win. Then everybody began to tighten up for some reason. We have seen this movie before. Thought we had moved beyond by cutting a little more slack....but I guess not.

billyberu
03-25-2016, 11:37 PM

Bet your fun at parties.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

alaskasu
03-25-2016, 11:38 PM
I really respect this edition of the Gonzaga team, players and coaches, for making me think all week that they could/should be playing for a Final Four berth.

But their system of attacking the Syracuse zone was weaker than I expected even though some really great shooting from Wilt and beastly play inside by Domas partly made up for it. I think a mistake-prone Emac would have been better in the second half than the almost complete lack of dribble penetration that resulted in his absence. You have to collapse the zone by getting into the teeth of the defense and then kick the ball out/away for the open shots.

It looked like their system was to kick the ball around the perimeter until Kyle or Domas was open. But after ball reversals, almost nothing... just kick it back around again. For whatever reason they didn't understand how to beat the zone.

They played hard, played great defense, turned back an early second-half run and put themselves in a position to hold on for the win.

I'm really shocked they didn't win that game but not apoplectic like I was after Tournament meltdown of which we do not speak.
The drive and kick out is not going to make the zone collapse. That is rudimentary strategy. If you would have made a few more outside shots in the second half it would have extended the zone and allowed your two bigs to operate in the middle of the zone so that they could initiate from there with mid-range shots or pass to a cutter. It was a close game, could have gone either way, but the way I see it neither one of us is consistent enough nor balanced enough to likely get to the final 4. Boeheim rolled the dice and did not extend the zone even though you were red hot in the first half. The theory was that if you are going to shoot from so far outside, go ahead and have at it. A mistake that you guys made is not to have anticipated the end of game press as it has been a trademark of the Cuse every game that we have been behind in this season.

Worthington
03-26-2016, 12:08 AM
The refs were atrocious. There was one on the baseline who did his best to swallow his whistle on every foul call against Sabonis. The outside ref had to come in and call an obvious foul several times. Roberson mugged a few of our players while going for offensive boards. I don't know how Perkins got called for a foul on that clear over the back.

The better team did not win this one. Losses of that variety always take way longer to get over... Still proud of the season, but aaaaaagggggggghhhhhhh

sonuvazag
03-26-2016, 12:08 AM
The drive and kick out is not going to make the zone collapse. That is rudimentary strategy. If you would have made a few more outside shots in the second half it would have extended the zone and allowed your two bigs to operate in the middle of the zone so that they could initiate from there with mid-range shots or pass to a cutter. It was a close game, could have gone either way, but the way I see it neither one of us is consistent enough nor balanced enough to likely get to the final 4. Boeheim rolled the dice and did not extend the zone even though you were red hot in the first half. The theory was that if you are going to shoot from so far outside, go ahead and have at it. A mistake that you guys made is not to have anticipated the end of game press as it has been a trademark of the Cuse every game that we have been behind in this season.
I guess I need to explain it better. Drive and X. If the zone doesn't collapse, that's even better with guys like McClellan, Wilt and Sabonis attacking the interior. But there has to be a drive and a decision. And better if the drive comes after a ball reversal so that the defense has already shifted. Bottom line, the Zags didn't have a great attack plan or were too passive to execute it, but almost got away with it any way with great defense of their own. It was a great effort by both sides.
No argument about your press working better than it should have.

HenneZag
03-26-2016, 12:13 AM
Well we made it further than Mich St, Kentucky,Baylor, WV,AZ,Xavier etc...I know it doesn't heal wounds because we gave that one away tonight. This tournament is so friggin tough and it's all about matchup's. GU can hold their heads high and be proud of what they accomplished this year. Bring on next season...and Sabonis please.

MJ777
03-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Well we made it further than Mich St, Kentucky,Baylor, WV,AZ,Xavier etc...I know it doesn't heal wounds because we gave that one away tonight. This tournament is so friggin tough and it's all about matchup's. GU can hold their heads high and be proud of what they accomplished this year. Bring on next season...and Sabonis please.

I would have preferred that the Zags lost to Mich St and that Seagull girl put a sock in it when the other team was shooting FTs.

sonuvazag
03-26-2016, 12:24 AM

This year's team did a great job, played with heart. Coaching was the best it has ever been.

Playing against a defensive system that is so out of vogue that you almost never see it and run by a program that has a knack for getting exactly the guys whose value is maximized by that system... this game was never going to be a gimme and no Sweet 16 opponent ever is. That's what makes this so fun. The high stakes and adversity.

Anyone mentioned how many seasons before Boeheim got his championship? Who knows what Few's high point is going to be, but I'll be shocked if there aren't more great tournament runs.

Throw enough darts at the fair and you'll eventually pop a balloon.

gonzagafan62
03-26-2016, 12:35 AM

Not even close

Zags11
03-26-2016, 12:43 AM
Rewatching the game over again.
Drags made 2 boneheaded mistakes. The pass to cuse player and then the 10 second violation.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 12:44 AM
Not even close

To him it was. To me it was too. Its what you feel and not what others think.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 12:49 AM
After watching the game a second time, multiple things stick out to me.

*Wilt didn't score the final 13 minutes while missing a bunny.
*Drags had 2 terrible brain farts in the final 2 minutes.
*Shot by drags that rattled in and out from 3 would of ended the game. It just wasn't meant to be.
*Few didn't counter the press at the end and let the players play.
*#23 pushed off a lot on his drives and carried 4-5 times.
*Sabonis missed a bunny with 38seconds he usually makes.

Post game:
*Few said you don't make a play out of a set in 2-3 zone at end. Is this normal?
*Few is a better fatherly figure to me and that matters way more in the scheme of life.
*Gonzaga went 7 minutes without a Fg and scored 1 point.

WallaWallaZag
03-26-2016, 01:02 AM
floater by perkins wasn't that bad a play/shot...melson also should have cut to basket on the play. previous play that should have been a turnover was a bad play by perkins though...getting himself stuck along the baseline.

tight end of game situations are tough when your best players are bigs who aren't handling the rock...

Zags11
03-26-2016, 01:33 AM
floater by perkins wasn't that bad a play/shot...melson also should have cut to basket on the play. previous play that should have been a turnover was a bad play by perkins though...getting himself stuck along the baseline.

tight end of game situations are tough when your best players are bigs who aren't handling the rock...

Yea I would of liked Perkins to do a floater a step or two before he did or flip to melson. That play didn't bother me. The last 7 minutes did of 5 turnovers, 0 fg's and only 2 point was bigger

ZagsGoZags
03-26-2016, 01:51 AM
For me ...... pain meter with ten the most pain
10 - pain from UCLA loss
6 pain from losses to Montana and Davidson
4 pain from this loss
2 pain from SMC beating us in our gym this year

WallaWallaZag
03-26-2016, 01:59 AM
if last year's zag team lost to this cuse team in this way i might bring up comparisons to ucla, but in my mind this team was never an elite eight team without karno...though i always hoped it could be and definitely thought it could be after the first two tournament games.

MickMick
03-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Worse. The players had much higher IQ in the UCLA game. This was all self imposed.

Complete loss of self composure. Really dumb basketball in the second half by a specific player that will be here for a few years. He has a long, long ways to go.

Stache
03-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Worse. The players had much higher IQ in the UCLA game. This was all self imposed.

Complete loss of self composure. Really dumb basketball in the second half by a specific player that will be here for a few years. He has a long, long ways to go.

Repeating the same type of mistakes is the tough part.

ZAGLAWQB
03-26-2016, 07:29 AM
Very Sad Final Moments....Coaches....No Plays....Out of Bounds.....Disappearing Players...Players with No Purpose.
We weren't playing UVA,,,,no excuse for the breakdown. Only so many chances in Life at certain moments...Coaches
need to lose sleep over this one.

MileHigh
03-26-2016, 07:40 AM

You are singling out Josh's play in the second half as reason they lost? Saying he played "really dumb basketball" in the second half? It was he fault they went 7 minutes without a bucket and gave up 5 offensive rebounds over the last few possessions of the game?

He had the pass he threw against the press that resulted in a 10 second violation, and his other TO was on the baseline drift play out of the timeout where Cooney made a great play on the ball (but Zags retained possesion). His defense was OK, not lockdown, but not 'dumb" by any stretch.

Please share with us this litany of "dumb" plays because I must have missed them.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2016, 07:41 AM

Two players right? Though melson was much worse. Yes. Looooong way to go.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2016, 07:42 AM
Very Sad Final Moments....Coaches....No Plays....Out of Bounds.....Disappearing Players...Players with No Purpose.
We weren't playing UVA,,,,no excuse for the breakdown. Only so many chances in Life at certain moments...Coaches
need to lose sleep over this one.

That introspection is not in this staffs dna.

TacomaZAG
03-26-2016, 07:42 AM
The sun came up this morning, so it's all good............

Looking back on last night, the guys really needed that 3rd scorer (different guys on different nights) from the last 6-8 games. When KW and DS combine for 42 and the rest of the team only contributes 18, it's game over. IMHO, the reason KW doesn't score in the last 13+ minutes is that Scuse was making someone other than KW and DS beat them, and we had no answer.

Like most tourney games in the S16, it comes down to a possession or two. Last night the game turned on the bad inbounds pass and the 10 second violation against the press.

I can't stand the grousing about the officiating, that's the refuge of the weak. Whether Perk was fouled at the end or not, or any of the other calls/non calls doesn't matter as there were, and always will be, officiating questions. The officials let the players decide it, like they should. Scuse made plays at the end, we didn't. Simple as that........

We gave it away, can't win a S16 game with 17 TO's. Especially the two mentioned above, at the end of the game.

Great season, playing with house money the last two weeks. Thanks to all the guys for another fantastic ride!!! This one stings, but 67 of the 68 teams in the Dance end the season with a loss.

Beautiful sunrise this morning..........

Go ZAGS

Stache
03-26-2016, 07:44 AM
I agree Mile High. Josh played very well for 90% of the game. He may have had the last 3 for GU. The part that will hurt for awhile are some decisions at the end. That is what young, talented guys do sometimes against elite athletes on the big stage. I agree with you - that doesn't make him dumb. That makes him young and this will be part of the learning process.

bigblahla
03-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Perk's not dumb at all....he can be careless, flippant and reckless with the ball at times....somewhat Pargoesque.....we will live through the growing pains watching this young man rise to the occasion in big games....or not....hopefully he will review his season and cut down on some of it...his frog imitation...jumping into the air with no one to pass to....drives me nuts ...but he will get it or his butt will get tired of the pine....coach has faith but careless play puts you on the bench....just ask EMAC...Perk's is not dumb or stupid....he's young and learning...he will get better and we will grow through it with him and cheer him on.... for he is a Zag...

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagDaddy
03-26-2016, 08:17 AM
I agree Mile High. Josh played very well for 90% of the game. He may have had the last 3 for GU. The part that will hurt for awhile are some decisions at the end. That is what young, talented guys do sometimes against elite athletes on the big stage. I agree with you - that doesn't make him dumb. That makes him young and this will be part of the learning process.

I completely agree with this. It's all part of the learning experience. In two years people will be singing his praises for his brilliant play. He's going to be fine.

That all being said, the inability of teams to smartly inbound the ball has been the undoing of many teams and the theme of this tournament, IMO.

HenneZag
03-26-2016, 08:18 AM
First two games we blew em out. We played confident and loose the whole game. This game a different story when it's possession to possession. I don't like the feeling in tight tournament games because I think we go back to being tenative. We still have to hit our shots and can't be afraid to let it fly. There were several times were we would pass up an open look for another not so open look. I feel that we just try and drain clock and then at the 5 Sec mark we force something. Idk. It definitely hurts today, I won't rewatch the game but we had it and just needed to handle the ball and make a shot or two. If we were in a shoot out and playing well and lost I wouldn't be as upset , just don't like giving the game away on turnovers and 10 Sec violations.

bballbeachbum
03-26-2016, 08:35 AM
You are singling out Josh's play in the second half as reason they lost? Saying he played "really dumb basketball" in the second half? It was he fault they went 7 minutes without a bucket and gave up 5 offensive rebounds over the last few possessions of the game?

He had the pass he threw against the press that resulted in a 10 second violation, and his other TO was on the baseline drift play out of the timeout where Cooney made a great play on the ball (but Zags retained possesion). His defense was OK, not lockdown, but not 'dumb" by any stretch.

Please share with us this litany of "dumb" plays because I must have missed them.

good post, you didn't miss anything.

fwiw, the 3 seniors had 11 turnovers. KD and Emac had 4 each, including Emac's implosion of tunrovers at the end of the first half which hurt, and KDs down the stretch in the second half, including the inbounds play to Cooney for a layup, perhaps the key play down the stretch if we single it out to one play, which hurt. KW missed a layup he always makes, that hurt. JP also contributed, no doubt, the biggest being when he beat the double team in the corner off the press by getting the ball to Domas, then got the ball back, and then failed to get it over the 10 second line, a big mistake, and it hurt. But it was a team effort down the stretch. Silas stuck at the corner three point line and not cutting off others dribble penetration, that hurt. And the biggest problem at the end? giving up offensive rebounds...exactly how is that on JP? It's not, ok? and they hurt the most...to defend, force the tough miss, and fail to rebound the miss, 6 times like that at the end. it hurt. good to get that off my chest

I really don't get the need to single out a player for blame in general, but specifically when the accusations are myopic and wrong. I won't call them dumb, that's a super harsh thing to call anyone even if they deserve it.

bballbeachbum
03-26-2016, 08:36 AM
I completely agree with this. It's all part of the learning experience. In two years people will be singing his praises for his brilliant play. He's going to be fine.

That all being said, the inability of teams to smartly inbound the ball has been the undoing of many teams and the theme of this tournament, IMO.

great post. agree with Stache too

MickMick
03-26-2016, 08:43 AM

I get it. You are from Denver.

It isn't lost on me that you knew who I was talking about. Watch the last five minutes. Just dumb play after dumb play.

This works like a balance scale. You put good plays on one side and bad plays on the other side. Then you see which way the scale tips.

All of your deflections to other players does not reflect the tip of the balance scale.

Watch the last 5 minutes. Watch with the ball. Watch without the ball. Watch the passing decisions (He should never be allowed to bounce pass again). That is my preemptive response to those that disagree. The tape doesn't lie. I shouldn't have to do your investigative homework for you. You have eyes and a DVR. You can see for yourself.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Thought josh played quite well until the late minutes. Made some tough shots and one just rimmed out. Mac was terrible. Period. Thought it was ok to sit him. Melson played poorly but still feel a better choice over frantic Mac. That end of half play was embarrassing. It went beyond bad play. Like a seizure. Few was outcoached and players felt his stress as they always do in tight games. When team rolls he's red Auerbach.

bballbeachbum
03-26-2016, 08:47 AM

It isn't lost on me that you knew who I was talking about. Watch the last five minutes. Just dumb play after dumb play.

This works like a balance scale. You put good plays on one side and bad plays on the other side. Then you see which way the scale tips.

All of your deflections to other players does not reflect the tip of the balance scale.

Watch the last 5 minutes.

who else could it have been? and I quote "(who) will be here for a few years". those words of yours are not lost on me Mick

Zag4Hire
03-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Thought josh played quite well until the late minutes. Made some tough shots and one just rimmed out. Mac was terrible. Period. Thought it was ok to sit him. Melson played poorly but still feel a better choice over frantic Mac. That end of half play was embarrassing. It went beyond bad play. Like a seizure. Few was outcoached and players felt his stress as they always do in tight games. When team rolls he's red Auerbach.

I thought the combination of great shooting, good ball movement, and defense during the first 12 minutes of the first half were about as great as you could ask for but I knew he even when I texted my Syracuse buddy is about the law averages and teams will always come back down to Earth eventually. Zags were white hot in the shooting department and I told him you have to be more than satisfied with the halftime score and probably think you are going to win if the Zags were shooting from all over the court and were only up 1 plus with the design of the zone, you lure the opponent into constantly chucking the ball--sort of a gambler's fallacy. He said I hit it on the nose.

With Few, two things were surprising and to me, are open for debate. With EMac, why can't Few just get him out, get one of the coaches to get his head straight, and get him back out there. Melson reverted to form (he was taking it to the hoop vs SHU & Utah and yanking boards) in that he was sagging on the perimeter while most of the time not being in a shooter's position (also I rather have Perk take a contested runner for the last shot then have Melson attempt his only long range make of the game for the win). I also think EMac's defensive intensity was missing towards the end. I always thought of EMac as a streaky player -- when he is cold from perimeter, he always seems to force the issue on a bad pass or try to go coast-to-coast with negative results or you can tell he has a pep in his step and his jumpers are crisp. I just think you sit him and get him back out there and keep refreshing him if you need to but find a way to get him back on track.

MileHigh
03-26-2016, 09:07 AM

Watch the last 5 minutes. Watch with the ball. Watch without the ball. Watch the passing decisions (He should never be allowed to bounce pass again). That is my preemptive response to those that disagree. The tape doesn't lie. I shouldn't have to do your investigative homework for you. You have eyes and a DVR. You can see for yourself.

....I didnt think you could point to any thing in particular. Just an overall perception of "dumbness" on your part I guess.

Based on your comments, I assume, you never played the game on any significant level, but if you had you would realize that when a team is defending you with elite athletes every player is going to make mistakes. Turnovers, bad shots, missed box outs, etc. when those things happen it doesn't mean you lost your composure or made a dumb play. It simply means the other guy just did something better on that particular play.

You opine that Josh has a "long, long way to go". To get where? Every freshman has a long way to go to become the best he can be. You seem to imply he has a longer way to go then one would expect from a frosh, and I would disagree with that. The last couple months of the season I would put his play right up there with the top 15 or so frosh pg's in the country considering the minutes he played and his stats. He certainly isnt a finished product and has a lot of room for growth, but I doubt you will find anyone on Gonzaga staff that isnt ecstatic with where Josh is at this point in his career.

FuManShoes
03-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Sorry, but this was way too reminiscent of the UCLA game. While that team led big all game only to let it slip away, this team led, lost it, regained it then blew it. But it's the final minutes that we're talking about. And that feels and looked a lot like the UCLA loss. We couldn't corral loose balls, couldn't keep them off the glass, couldn't break a press, couldn't get it to our best player(s), and end up with our big heaving it in desperation as the buzzer goes off. Sound familiar? Crap.

willandi
03-26-2016, 09:17 AM
In Albuquerque watching with my cousins, one asked "Why doesn't Few get on the refs? The arm wrap on Domas is a flagrant 1, automatic, and it's at least the second". I explained that Few doesn't do technical fouls.

Bogozags
03-26-2016, 10:13 AM
The sun came up this morning, so it's all good............

Looking back on last night, the guys really needed that 3rd scorer (different guys on different nights) from the last 6-8 games. When KW and DS combine for 42 and the rest of the team only contributes 18, it's game over. IMHO, the reason KW doesn't score in the last 13+ minutes is that Scuse was making someone other than KW and DS beat them, and we had no answer.

Like most tourney games in the S16, it comes down to a possession or two. Last night the game turned on the bad inbounds pass and the 10 second violation against the press.

I can't stand the grousing about the officiating, that's the refuge of the weak. Whether Perk was fouled at the end or not, or any of the other calls/non calls doesn't matter as there were, and always will be, officiating questions. The officials let the players decide it, like they should. Scuse made plays at the end, we didn't. Simple as that........

We gave it away, can't win a S16 game with 17 TO's. Especially the two mentioned above, at the end of the game.

Great season, playing with house money the last two weeks. Thanks to all the guys for another fantastic ride!!! This one stings, but 67 of the 68 teams in the Dance end the season with a loss.

Beautiful sunrise this morning..........

Go ZAGS

Very well said!

First off...with the injury we had culminating with the lack of experience some of the players had, this was an excellent season!!!

We had our opportunities and just couldn't take advantage of them in this game and the season...

This was a tough loss :( but I knew going in to this game it was going to be a nail bitter!

I will say one thing about comments about this game...please feel free to "feel" anyway you want to about this game...compare it to any game you chose...

Please do not try to affix this loss to anyone player or because the coach didn't have a play for the press...Coach Few didn't make one bad pass, nor did he miss a shot or FT or fail to block out on the boards. He also did't commit a turnover nor did he score...once again, the execution by the PLAYERS was not 100% and CUSE just rose above and won the game...

The ENTIRE coaching staff and ALL the players feel lousy about the outcome of this game. Oh, yes, we as fans are not happy either BUT the sun did rise and will set this evening...appreciate what we had...life goes on and I can't wait for next season! :)

dan71w
03-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I figured out that zone thingy!!!!!
make barrier. as soon as ball comes close start hacking and slashing pushing and shoving, and call it "2-3 zone basketball". That is my whole take away of the game, and that is how it slows you down. we totally outplayed them MOST of them game! we led most of the game; But the zebras would NOT call fouls on the "impressive cuse zone". if even half of the hacking, carries, push-offs where called it would have been a blow out win! when the stripes cannot call the game proper it gets into a players head, makes them timid, it is not the first time we have seen how the refs effect a game!
just look at Domas face expression.
ya, we "fell apart" at the end, right about the same time the cuse went berserk with slapping grabbing pushing and pulling, that "amped up defense" heck that's what the defense genius's figured out; amp up the slapping at end of games because they do not get called!
we won the game, we out played them and out shot them for a majority of the game. if the refs had fairly called the game it would not have been close period! it is either east coast bias ism or corrupt system. somebody had those refs paid for.

Reborn
03-26-2016, 10:41 AM
I do want to say that this game hurt, and it hurt a lot. And I don't feel bad to say it. I would not compare it to any other losses. In the TOURNAMENT. They all hurt. I loved this team a lot. I think in some ways more than most. They are a very special team, and had a unbelievable season. I'm so glad that HBO made that documentary this year. It will me remember what the team went through. To reach the Sweet 16 was just great, and what a ride it was. And yet this loss wounded me deeply. I hurt all night long. Could not sleep. But as we all know, it passes. And the hurt of this loss will pass quickly for me because of how much joy this team has given me. A huge thank you to the team, the whole team. Thanks ZAGS!!!

When I take an objective look at the game I believe it's very, very difficult to get past the Sweet 16 without experienced, mature guards who are great basketball players. It's common knowledge that to do great in this Tournament you need those kind of guards, and especially point guards. Gonzaga did not have that this year and yet our guards came together late in the year to take us to the Sweet 16. That's pretty dang good. Making it to the Elite 8 is a different ball game. Only two GU teams have done it. We came close because this was a damn good team with a ton of heart and toughness. We lost because of mental mistakes, but honestly, 90% of the game at this level in mental. The Zags, in the end, did not have the mental toughness that Syracuse did. Syracuse rose to the moment and out played the Zags in the last two minutes. They made the plays and we didn't. This team was so close to making it to the Elite 8, which would have been awesome to go that far two years in a row. But in the end we came very, very close.

Yes, they shouldn't have made some of those plays, and on the turnover on the out-of-bounds play against the press, Perkins was so open it's hard to imagine Dranginis missing him. Mental toughness. Dranginis has made similar errors against the full court press this year. And the person who was most surprised by Lyden coming out to block Perkins' shot was Jim B. He was just totally shocked because they set their defense to defend Wiltjer. So when you think about it it was a perfect play, and for some reason Syracuse had that fire to make a huge play. LYden is also a Freshman. If Perkins had missed the shot, Sabonis would have tipped it in I really believe. And yes, Perkins should probably have passed it to Sabonis because he was so open, and with another year or two of experience he WILL make that pass. I like Perkins a lot, and he has the confidence that will be needed in the upcoming years. There's nothing like confidence. We must remember he's only a red-shirt freshman. Has a freshman point guard ever taken a Zag team to the Sweet 16?

I applaud our Zags for playing such TOUGH defense all year long. I loved how they played defense this year. I think Gonzaga has figured it out on the defensive end of the court. The future is bright.

demian
03-26-2016, 11:11 AM
I do want to say that this game hurt, and it hurt a lot. And I don't feel bad to say it. I would not compare it to any other losses. In the TOURNAMENT. They all hurt. I loved this team a lot. I think in some ways more than most. They are a very special team, and had a unbelievable season. I'm so glad that HBO made that documentary this year. It will me remember what the team went through. To reach the Sweet 16 was just great, and what a ride it was. And yet this loss wounded me deeply. I hurt all night long. Could not sleep. But as we all know, it passes. And the hurt of this loss will pass quickly for me because of how much joy this team has given me. A huge thank you to the team, the whole team. Thanks ZAGS!!!

When I take an objective look at the game I believe it's very, very difficult to get past the Sweet 16 without experienced, mature guards who are great basketball players. It's common knowledge that to do great in this Tournament you need those kind of guards, and especially point guards. Gonzaga did not have that this year and yet our guards came together late in the year to take us to the Sweet 16. That's pretty dang good. Making it to the Elite 8 is a different ball game. Only two GU teams have done it. We came close because this was a damn good team with a ton of heart and toughness. We lost because of mental mistakes, but honestly, 90% of the game at this level in mental. The Zags, in the end, did not have the mental toughness that Syracuse did. Syracuse rose to the moment and out played the Zags in the last two minutes. They made the plays and we didn't. This team was so close to making it to the Elite 8, which would have been awesome to go that far two years in a row. But in the end we came very, very close.

Yes, they shouldn't have made some of those plays, and on the turnover on the out-of-bounds play against the press, Perkins was so open it's hard to imagine Dranginis missing him. Mental toughness. Dranginis has made similar errors against the full court press this year. And the person who was most surprised by Lyden coming out to block Perkins' shot was Jim B. He was just totally shocked because they set their defense to defend Wiltjer. So when you think about it it was a perfect play, and for some reason Syracuse had that fire to make a huge play. LYden is also a Freshman. If Perkins had missed the shot, Sabonis would have tipped it in I really believe. And yes, Perkins should probably have passed it to Sabonis because he was so open, and with another year or two of experience he WILL make that pass. I like Perkins a lot, and he has the confidence that will be needed in the upcoming years. There's nothing like confidence. We must remember he's only a red-shirt freshman. Has a freshman point guard ever taken a Zag team to the Sweet 16?

I applaud our Zags for playing such TOUGH defense all year long. I loved how they played defense this year. I think Gonzaga has figured it out on the defensive end of the court. The future is bright.

100% agree Reborn. great post. Cooney and Gbinije are 5th year seniors (both 23 years old), who BOTH were on the roster of Syracuse last Final Four team in 2012-2013, those two guards played GREAT last night. Gbiniji was a freshman at DUKE in 2011-2012 season then transferred to Syracuse at end of that season. We are on the right path.

75Zag
03-26-2016, 11:18 AM
I was in the Oakland Arena when GU folded against UCLA. Last night's game in Chicago felt very much the same at the end. When 'Cuse stole the inbound pass and scored, I turned to my wife and said "Welcome back to Oakland". And it felt pretty much the same way from that point forward.
GU needs to take a long and hard look at the guard position and with all respect to coaching staff, before the next NCAA opportunity the players need to be coached as to how to deal with intense defensive pressure. I don't believe the 'Cuse players were better than the GU players, but it sure looked like they were better in the last 3 minutes of the game. I attribute that to poor preparation.

Have a good summer everyone!

seacatfan
03-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Well at least GU didn't give up an 8-0 run in the final 19 seconds and get the ball stolen 3 times in that span like Wisconsin did last night.

rennis
03-26-2016, 11:28 AM
I blame Anthony Bourdain for this loss. That ahole posted a picture on instagram yesterday from his hotel room in Tokyo with an orange on his windowsill. By the 4th or 5th time it showed up in various social media feeds I knew we were doomed.

TacomaZAG
03-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Well at least GU didn't give up an 8-0 run in the final 19 seconds and get the ball stolen 3 times in that span like Wisconsin did last night.

True.............although we did get outscored 15-3 in the last 6:25. Good teams with good schemes just don't do that, they just don't.

Hard way to go out..............again.

Go ZAGS

Mantua
03-26-2016, 12:29 PM
I was in the Oakland Arena when GU folded against UCLA. Last night's game in Chicago felt very much the same at the end. When 'Cuse stole the inbound pass and scored, I turned to my wife and said "Welcome back to Oakland". And it felt pretty much the same way from that point forward.
GU needs to take a long and hard look at the guard position and with all respect to coaching staff, before the next NCAA opportunity the players need to be coached as to how to deal with intense defensive pressure. I don't believe the 'Cuse players were better than the GU players, but it sure looked like they were better in the last 3 minutes of the game. I attribute that to poor preparation.

I agree that it seemed as if they were not prepared. There were so many little things that surprised me -not being able to break the press, no plan for getting the ball out of traps, not passing to open shooters, and the stagnant passing around the arc, etc.

gonzagafan62
03-26-2016, 12:36 PM

I don't know (and probably never know for sure) -but I feel that it was also poor preparation, however, is it really something you can prepare for? If you're an ACC team you know what it's like to play the zone defense. I'm not sure we could have prepared for it at all. More adjustments at halftime is what I was expecting. More ideas and creative ways to attack it I thought were going to be implemented in the second half. Taking EMac out I think was the dagger. Yes he Should have been out for a stretch but not the whole second half.

Why take out the quickest player we have? I feel like we tied one hand behind our back and tried to win

bballbeachbum
03-26-2016, 12:53 PM
watching the reply now, I'd forgotten that the Zags executed a great half court possession up 60-59 with about 30 seconds to go, working the ball to Domas on the left block, his money spot, where he pivoted middle but missed his layup. Just wasn't meant to be, can't ask for a better play or look. also, both of JPs turnovers at the end--the 10 second violation and the baseline throw away to Cooney--did not lead to any Orange points interestingly; Gjbiniji missed a three that the Zags rebounded after the 10 second call, and the Cooney play was overturned

DixieZag
03-26-2016, 12:59 PM
A lot in this thread that is tough to deal with in terms of finger pointing.

This team closed out the first half and opened the second letting Cuse have a 12-0 run and finding themselves down 5 with no real reason to hope they would not get run out of the arena. At THAT point I thought we were in for a 15-20 point ass-kicking. But this team, and all its warts, came storming back.

We found ourselves up 7 with 5:00 and had several GOOD shots to put us up 8-9. If SMC hits the 3 to tie then maybe we have this conversation at the end of the WCC tournament, but they didn't and WE went on the run to close it, with just as much pressure as last night, maybe more, b/c not winning the WCC and not going to the tourney is an unpardonable sin.

So, yeah, it sucks and yeah, some mistakes made, but that just does happen to be sports. Perks floater was going in, or Domas had the tip - I believe that. Just the guy made a good play - they want to win, too (he also fouled the hell out of Perk's arm as his hand went through the ball, but whatever).

How quick we are to turn.

Zagceo
03-26-2016, 01:03 PM
Really…… really feel for the kids. Tough to lose such high profile game when they fought hard to comeback only to see it slip away in the end.

GU should look into highering a special teams assistant coach specializing in late game high pressure situations.

gonzagafan62
03-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Really…… really feel for the kids. Tough to lose such high profile game when they fought hard to comeback only to see it slip away in the end.

GU should look into highering a special teams assistant coach specializing in late game high pressure situations.

I actually agree with this.

Section 116
03-26-2016, 01:24 PM

I agree with you Zag77. The out of bounds call was wrong. I can only imagine the hue and cry from the Syracuse fans had the Zags won on Perkins shot!

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Would rather have seen Zags take a beat down than give the game away under pressure.

The UCLA loss when Ammo was here, Stockton stepping over the out of bound lines taking the ball out at the end of the game against Wichita State, the ridiculous and mindless TOs last night at crunch time.....too many times those things have come up in the Dance.

Still can't figure out what the play was supposed to be when Perkins took off around the baseline and threw it away last night. But the final O play was nothing short of a dumpster fire if that what was drawn up.

jayray
03-26-2016, 02:31 PM
I actually agree with this.

They said in one of the games that Shaka has a coach assigned just to "special teams."

Zags11
03-26-2016, 03:14 PM

Drags won't be here.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 03:17 PM

The 10 second violation rests more on the 5th year senior then Perkins. Drags threw it back to Perkins with 2-3 seconds on clock instead of crossing half court. Drags also threw the ball to a cuse player for a lay in, where he had Perkins wide open. The blame can go all over. I think few should of made some sets to break the press.

I think it's more on the coaching staff as men then the young adults.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Two players right? Though melson was much worse. Yes. Looooong way to go.

Melson didn't score but how was he terrible? He was matched up vs a way bigger guard. Is it his fault he is smaller? Or the coaching staff? Where was emac? Your telling me in final 3 minutes to not give your dpoy another shot? Emac hadn't played since 1746 mark.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 03:21 PM

The same people who said NIT as well thus yr.

sittingon50
03-26-2016, 03:25 PM
Well, that was disappointing.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 03:26 PM

I think its amusing how the "kids" get ripped by the board but few always gets a pass. I enjoy few and think few is a good coach. I just feel like in tight NCAA tournament games we lose more then win. I think last night up 1, we pounded the ball into the floor until 5 seconds and let sabonis shoot. It was a good play but was rushed due to the point we buried the shot clock. Is that cuz the kids too? Was it in 05,06 or this year? There is more games. I wouldn't trade Few but maybe 2-3 coaches. I like his character more then most coaches as well.

The its always the kids is disgusting especially from adults.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 03:30 PM

True. It all hurts the same. We scored 1 point in final 7 minutes.

DixieZag
03-26-2016, 03:38 PM
Would rather have seen Zags take a beat down than give the game away under pressure.

The UCLA loss when Ammo was here, Stockton stepping over the out of bound lines taking the ball out at the end of the game against Wichita State, the ridiculous and mindless TOs last night at crunch time.....too many times those things have come up in the Dance.

Still can't figure out what the play was supposed to be when Perkins took off around the baseline and threw it away last night. But the final O play was nothing short of a dumpster fire if that what was drawn up.

This is exactly what I was talking about in terms of finding what you want to complain about - and sure, there do seem to be lots of bad ones, but I'm not positive we have more than anyone else, all teams have games like that over the years (Wisconsin did worse) and all fans remember the bad ones more than the good.

And, you'd rather take a beat down - unless we actually got one and then I suspect you'd say you'd rather them fight to the end than "give up." Because we had a beat down coming, two minutes into the second half. And yet the team fought harder - that's the team I'd rather have.

We always ask - "Why can't we ever be peaking in the end . . . " Well THIS team - with basically 6 players did, including the backcourt and it gets to the damn sweet sixteen thumping a 6 seed and three (never mind BYU/BYU/SMC - we're talking beat downs now - and then loses a tough one against a team known for pressure defenses.

Why watch? Seriously, if the take away is only - "beatdown, ridiculous, mindless and dumpster fire."

I'm as disappointed as anyone, guarantee, but -Izzo (who I'd hire to coach my NFL team) who just won the Big 10, got his ass kicked in the first round. I can barely remember our last first round loss in the tourney, "how many times have those things come up in the dance" - first round games?

So much to counter all that bitterness. I'm disappointed, but also just shocked at how much this team did right in the last month of the season and I refuse to forget that.

Jazz - clear space, bro - You can't send out a good chat thing without space. :)

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2016, 05:25 PM
...you'd rather take a beat down - unless we actually got one and then I suspect you'd say you'd rather them fight to the end than "give up." Because we had a beat down coming, two minutes into the second half. And yet the team fought harder - that's the team I'd rather have....

Why watch? Seriously, if the take away is only - "beatdown, ridiculous, mindless and dumpster fire."...

I'm gonna pass up the chance to respond to this one. All due to the fact I really don't think you know much about basketball. And then like a bad penny that keeps turning up, you would respond with another reply post that is 3 paragraphs too long.

ballerstatus
03-26-2016, 06:29 PM
The zags haven't figured out how to break full court pressure for a long long time. That 10 second violation and the two TO they had with full court pressure changed the momentum. I had a big problem with the last plays of the game, especially the first one coming out of the timeout. (Melson in the corner?! Wtf)

maynard g krebs
03-26-2016, 06:34 PM
....I didnt think you could point to any thing in particular. Just an overall perception of "dumbness" on your part I guess.

Based on your comments, I assume, you never played the game on any significant level, but if you had you would realize that when a team is defending you with elite athletes every player is going to make mistakes. Turnovers, bad shots, missed box outs, etc. when those things happen it doesn't mean you lost your composure or made a dumb play. It simply means the other guy just did something better on that particular play.

You opine that Josh has a "long, long way to go". To get where? Every freshman has a long way to go to become the best he can be. You seem to imply he has a longer way to go then one would expect from a frosh, and I would disagree with that. The last couple months of the season I would put his play right up there with the top 15 or so frosh pg's in the country considering the minutes he played and his stats. He certainly isnt a finished product and has a lot of room for growth, but I doubt you will find anyone on Gonzaga staff that isnt ecstatic with where Josh is at this point in his career.

Agree w/ everything you say, Milehigh. Mick used to be a good poster w/ a lot of insight. But it shouldn't be "lost" on any of us that early in the year, Mick said this was the team that would end the tourney streak because the guards weren't good enough. Well, we know how that one turned out. Then he's disappeared when the team does well, only to reappear with "I told you so" when they struggle. He told us that the team wasn't going to the tourney, and they went to the sweet 16. A place Pangos didn't lead them until he was a senior.

Not to be taken seriously any more imo.

CDC84
03-26-2016, 06:37 PM
I still don't understand why few sat EMac in favor of Melson. Apart from Sabonis, EMac has been GU's most important player the past 4-5 weeks. He was dominant at the WCC tournament (he should've been MVP), and he was dominant in GU's first two NCAA tourney games. I know he committed a series of boneheaded turnovers vs. 'Cuse (due to his aggressive nature), but I felt it was a strategic error on Mark's part to sit him the rest of the way. He should've taken him out of the game, given him instruction, and put him back out there. It was particularly senseless to not have him out there when the Orange started pressing GU. Although he makes errors at times, he was by far and away the best ballhandling guard that GU had this year. The guy can speed dribble thru a mine field. I want a guy like that on the floor during those times because he bail you out of tough situations. As much improvement as Melson has shown the past several weeks, I didn't feel he showed enough to have EMac sit all that time.

I talked to a few respected basketball people about this today, and they were bewildered by Few's decision as well.

maynard g krebs
03-26-2016, 06:39 PM
I figured out that zone thingy!!!!!
make barrier. as soon as ball comes close start hacking and slashing pushing and shoving, and call it "2-3 zone basketball". That is my whole take away of the game, and that is how it slows you down. we totally outplayed them MOST of them game! we led most of the game; But the zebras would NOT call fouls on the "impressive cuse zone". if even half of the hacking, carries, push-offs where called it would have been a blow out win! when the stripes cannot call the game proper it gets into a players head, makes them timid, it is not the first time we have seen how the refs effect a game!
just look at Domas face expression.
ya, we "fell apart" at the end, right about the same time the cuse went berserk with slapping grabbing pushing and pulling, that "amped up defense" heck that's what the defense genius's figured out; amp up the slapping at end of games because they do not get called!
we won the game, we out played them and out shot them for a majority of the game. if the refs had fairly called the game it would not have been close period! it is either east coast bias ism or corrupt system. somebody had those refs paid for.

Agree. New York is a bigger market for CBS.

Zags11
03-26-2016, 06:48 PM
I still don't understand why few sat EMac in favor of Melson. Apart from Sabonis, EMac has been GU's most important player the past 4-5 weeks. He was dominant at the WCC tournament (he should've been MVP), and he was dominant in GU's first two NCAA tourney games. I know he committed a series of boneheaded turnovers vs. 'Cuse (due to his aggressive nature), but I felt it was a strategic error on Mark's part to sit him the rest of the way. He should've taken him out of the game, given him instruction, and put him back out there. It was particularly senseless to not have him out there when the Orange started pressing GU. Although he makes errors at times, he was by far and away the best ballhandling guard that GU had this year. The guy can speed dribble thru a mine field. I want a guy like that on the floor during those times because he bail you out of tough situations. As much improvement as Melson has shown the past several weeks, I didn't feel he showed enough to have EMac sit all that time.

I talked to a few respected basketball people about this today, and they were bewildered by Few's decision as well.

I wondered this as well.

uZiGiZaG
03-28-2016, 05:49 AM
This is exactly what I was talking about in terms of finding what you want to complain about - and sure, there do seem to be lots of bad ones, but I'm not positive we have more than anyone else, all teams have games like that over the years (Wisconsin did worse) and all fans remember the bad ones more than the good.

And, you'd rather take a beat down - unless we actually got one and then I suspect you'd say you'd rather them fight to the end than "give up." Because we had a beat down coming, two minutes into the second half. And yet the team fought harder - that's the team I'd rather have.

We always ask - "Why can't we ever be peaking in the end . . . " Well THIS team - with basically 6 players did, including the backcourt and it gets to the damn sweet sixteen thumping a 6 seed and three (never mind BYU/BYU/SMC - we're talking beat downs now - and then loses a tough one against a team known for pressure defenses.

Why watch? Seriously, if the take away is only - "beatdown, ridiculous, mindless and dumpster fire."

I'm as disappointed as anyone, guarantee, but -Izzo (who I'd hire to coach my NFL team) who just won the Big 10, got his ass kicked in the first round. I can barely remember our last first round loss in the tourney, "how many times have those things come up in the dance" - first round games?

So much to counter all that bitterness. I'm disappointed, but also just shocked at how much this team did right in the last month of the season and I refuse to forget that.

Jazz - clear space, bro - You can't send out a good chat thing without space. :)

Yeah but... Umm Izzo has actually taken his team the Final Four.. On multiple occasions

Zagdawg
03-28-2016, 07:51 AM
"Yeah but... Umm Izzo has actually taken his team the Final Four.. On multiple occasions"

So you are saying that you have found a program worthy of your time to follow.

DixieZag
03-28-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm gonna pass up the chance to respond to this one. All due to the fact I really don't think you know much about basketball. And then like a bad penny that keeps turning up, you would respond with another reply post that is 3 paragraphs too long.

You're the one that likes beat downs and yes, whether one would prefer to go out with an ass-kicking versus whether one would prefer to go out the way we did is most certainly a question only for basketball experts like yourself.

zagdontzig
03-28-2016, 09:49 AM

Totally disagree, Perkins has hit this floater over and over. His only mistake was that he pulled up a half step too late, and it's hard to ding a freshman for being patient under pressure. Credit the block, because it was a big play.

Hoopaholic
03-28-2016, 11:31 AM
Totally disagree, Perkins has hit this floater over and over. His only mistake was that he pulled up a half step too late, and it's hard to ding a freshman for being patient under pressure. Credit the block, because it was a big play.

we can agree to disagree.......Unaware of any he has made over a 7 foot shot blocker
It is ALWAYS best to pass to a closer person for a dunk than to try a lob shot over an outstretched 7 footer
simple pass to Domas and its a dunk for the win and more than likely and 1 situation
second, disappointing to see Silas standing in concrete, if he had attacked the basket as perkins moved, he would have had a slam dunk as well

learning experience and Perkins will be better and better

mattydog73
03-28-2016, 11:32 AM
I don't have to get anything off my chest but will say, the reason they lost, even with the Refs calling a terrible game...like it or not...in crunch time, they did not hit open shots or take care of the ball. That's it. It was not talent or athleticism or even the 2-3 zone...It was their failure in the Execution of who they are and what they do as a team.

Well one thing to get off my chest...Had they executed, they would have had a very good chance vs Virginia. They could be in the FF right now. my .02

Hoopaholic
03-28-2016, 11:33 AM
I don't have to get anything off my chest but will say, the reason they lost, even with the Refs calling a terrible game...like it or not...in crunch time, they did not hit open shots or take care of the ball. That's it. It was not talent or athleticism or even the 2-3 zone...It was their failure in the Execution of who they are and what they do as a team.

Well one thing to get off my chest...Had they executed, they would have had a very good chance vs Virginia. They could be in the FF right now. my .02

totally agree with all of your points....

zagdontzig
03-28-2016, 12:03 PM
we can agree to disagree.......Unaware of any he has made over a 7 foot shot blocker
It is ALWAYS best to pass to a closer person for a dunk than to try a lob shot over an outstretched 7 footer
simple pass to Domas and its a dunk for the win and more than likely and 1 situation
second, disappointing to see Silas standing in concrete, if he had attacked the basket as perkins moved, he would have had a slam dunk as well

learning experience and Perkins will be better and better

Perkins over 7-footers:
https://youtu.be/fJWCkn67dpE?t=1h6m10s
https://youtu.be/fJWCkn67dpE?t=1h7m55s

Also, Melson also loves to lurk in the weak side corner and bait the defense into complacency. I agree that it is good fundamentals to make the cut without the ball and keep moving, but he likes to wait until the pass comes, then put the ball down on the baseline. (December 2014 at BYU when Karno got double teamed high on the high wing: https://vine.co/v/OH2VaJDPlJH) I'm a little more on your side with that decision though, because I think it might have forced the zone to take a step off Sabonis, or at least not let the guy who block Perkins pressure up.

I still don't fault Perkins for taking the shot. The block was just a better play IMO

baitcast
03-28-2016, 12:08 PM
In the beginning I was just happy to get in the dance so anything more was gravy for me so after two great wins I started getting a little dazed and started thinking F4 LOL......It was a fun ride this time around........If the gatekeeper comes back and Bonus stays we are loaded next year.........O WELL see u all next year
Rob

TexasZagFan
03-28-2016, 12:33 PM
When I got home Friday nite, I erased the game from the DVR. However, the Utah game will remain for at least 2-3 more months. ;)

Hoopaholic
03-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Perkins over 7-footers:
https://youtu.be/fJWCkn67dpE?t=1h6m10s
https://youtu.be/fJWCkn67dpE?t=1h7m55s

Also, Melson also loves to lurk in the weak side corner and bait the defense into complacency. I agree that it is good fundamentals to make the cut without the ball and keep moving, but he likes to wait until the pass comes, then put the ball down on the baseline. (December 2014 at BYU when Karno got double teamed high on the high wing: https://vine.co/v/OH2VaJDPlJH) I'm a little more on your side with that decision though, because I think it might have forced the zone to take a step off Sabonis, or at least not let the guy who block Perkins pressure up.

I still don't fault Perkins for taking the shot. The block was just a better play IMO

and I could dig out multiple times he was blocked going to the hole.........point guards should be passing to the wide open center for a game winning dunk when it is available

also need to know scouting report.....your examples are exactly what someone should understand from scouting reports....nate Austin less than .5 blocks per game (18 for the year) and the Chatman kid is only 6-5 meanwhile Lydon LED SYRACUSE In blocks with over 65 for the year....................

as to standing in the corner in concrete is exactly what Syracuse wants players to do.......as you can see top side penetration leaves the isolation man to choose...step up and challenge or stay back and cover backside crash....it was there all night long and no adjustment or expectation of that

like I said we can agree to disagree........I am of the mindset that we want the BEST possible shot provided and clearly for me this was NOT the best shot available

Kiddwell
03-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Really happy just to make The Dance. Then super-happy when we beat up two Top-20 teams to advance to the Second Weekend. Things started looking like a miraculous chance to make it to the Final Four, at last. "Just" Syracuse and Virginia. We led Syracuse for, what?, 90% of the game then lost it by one at the end (the last two points were due to an on-purpose foul). We couldn't even get a decent shot off, in two tries, with something like 30 seconds to go.

Now, seeing Syracuse take out Virginia...owie. This fan really thought we had a good chance against the Cougars' former coach. We knew him; we knew his style; we knew how to beat it. O, well, O, well...this team made a spectacular turnaround from Dec/Jan to March. Gonna focus on that. Love the Zags. (Here come the Mariners.)

:]

Zagceo
03-28-2016, 01:00 PM
12 empty plays in the last 6 min…..change ONE and we win……….……….

Zags11
03-28-2016, 02:00 PM

Agree.

Hoopaholic
03-28-2016, 02:28 PM

I submit that one less offensive rebound for put back by Syracuse in last 6 minutes and we win

Zagceo
03-28-2016, 02:35 PM
I submit that one less offensive rebound for put back by Syracuse in last 6 minutes and we win

Yep SU had 6 OR in last 6 Minutes that I wasn't even counting in my 12 plays……….so make that 18 plays in last 6 minutes change ONE. That game is gonna be hard for the coaches to break down…

zagdontzig
03-28-2016, 02:49 PM
and I could dig out multiple times he was blocked going to the hole.........point guards should be passing to the wide open center for a game winning dunk when it is available

also need to know scouting report.....your examples are exactly what someone should understand from scouting reports....nate Austin less than .5 blocks per game (18 for the year) and the Chatman kid is only 6-5 meanwhile Lydon LED SYRACUSE In blocks with over 65 for the year....................

as to standing in the corner in concrete is exactly what Syracuse wants players to do.......as you can see top side penetration leaves the isolation man to choose...step up and challenge or stay back and cover backside crash....it was there all night long and no adjustment or expectation of that

like I said we can agree to disagree........I am of the mindset that we want the BEST possible shot provided and clearly for me this was NOT the best shot available

I'm not sure we disagree, so much as we saw the court differently. Of course I support a higher percentage shot over a lower one, and of course I believe agree that the scouting report would say the cuse 4 and 5 were higher risk to shoot over than BYU's.

But where was the "wide open center?" Sabonis had double coverage, and the only passing lane was over the same defender who blocked his shot? Maybe I disagree with the idea that we pin the loss on Perkins. We could easily blame Dranginis for in-bounding to the baseline as opposed to over mid court, or pin it on Few for benching emac. The game wasn't lost on one play. It was lost on some combination of failing to consistently penetrate the paint, and choking against the press in the final two minutes. We didn't lose the game, cuse went out and won it.

Hoopaholic
03-28-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure we disagree, so much as we saw the court differently. Of course I support a higher percentage shot over a lower one, and of course I believe agree that the scouting report would say the cuse 4 and 5 were higher risk to shoot over than BYU's.

But where was the "wide open center?" Sabonis had double coverage, and the only passing lane was over the same defender who blocked his shot? Maybe I disagree with the idea that we pin the loss on Perkins. We could easily blame Dranginis for in-bounding to the baseline as opposed to over mid court, or pin it on Few for benching emac. The game wasn't lost on one play. It was lost on some combination of failing to consistently penetrate the paint, and choking against the press in the final two minutes. We didn't lose the game, cuse went out and won it.

Oh don't get me wrong...NO WAY NO HOW am I blaming the loss on Perkins.....we had empty possessions, we had open looks that didn't fall (taken by seniors), we gave up multiple offensive rebounds for put back bunnies, we threw the ball away too many times and we chocked on the sudden press...........................

Sabonis was NOT double covered. His front man Lyons left him to attack Perkins, leaving the front side to the basket wide open.....even this old man on the couch screamed DUNK as it started to unfold and I played CENTER not point guard.......the picture provides the clear view

My issue was a simple bounce pass to Domas who was WIDE open (had defender pinned on his back) was a play we HAVE to make as an efficient point guard....different story if they had fronted Sabonis then the shot was great....his penetration was perfect his ultimate decision was not the best

*****and I am not happy with Melson standing in concrete and not getting into a passing vision for Perkins as well............

It is a learning experience for the young man and I am FULLY confident that he will be even better next year

Zags11
03-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Good stuff guys.

bballbeachbum
03-28-2016, 05:29 PM

sure, or if either KW or Domas make their layups at the end, let alone they BOTH finish those plays, we win I think. there are more examples too, many opportunities that just went the other way for whatever reason.

bballbeachbum
03-28-2016, 05:37 PM
on JP, who clearly struggled at the end, thought his read was correct at the end; they doubled KW of course, no way JB was going to let him beat them, so JP adjusted, got open and KW hit him, looked good to me. but Lydon made the play inch perfect. after JPs turnovers at the end, which led to a missed Gbiniji 3 rebounded by Domas and the ref mistake on the baseline that gave the ball back to the Zags anyway, I think JB left him and JP made a good read but could not ultimately execute

Cusefan
03-29-2016, 04:51 AM
This is all good stuff guys, I like how members on this board break down plays and look at it from all the different perspectives. And I totally agree that Perkins shouldn't take any blame for the loss. None of the players should. Any number of things could have happened throughout the game that could have changed the final outcome. On one hand, the ball could have gone to Sabonis on the final play and he may have scored. On the other hand, the ref might not have called Cooney out of bounds with 9 seconds left and there wouldn't have been a final play. The variables and possibilities are endless in a game like that.

It's a shame either team had their season ended on Friday night because both teams played hard and both deserved to go on to face Virginia.

Speaking of Perkins, I thought he showed flashes of greatness on Friday night. That kid has some mad skills.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2016, 05:49 AM
This is all good stuff guys, I like how members on this board break down plays and look at it from all the different perspectives. And I totally agree that Perkins shouldn't take any blame for the loss. None of the players should. Any number of things could have happened throughout the game that could have changed the final outcome. On one hand, the ball could have gone to Sabonis on the final play and he may have scored. On the other hand, the ref might not have called Cooney out of bounds with 9 seconds left and there wouldn't have been a final play. The variables and possibilities are endless in a game like that.

It's a shame either team had their season ended on Friday night because both teams played hard and both deserved to go on to face Virginia.

Speaking of Perkins, I thought he showed flashes of greatness on Friday night. That kid has some mad skills.

I'm just thankful we got a shot off, even if it was blocked. How many games did we see where the clock ran out on teams without getting a field goal attempt?

Zagceo
03-29-2016, 08:37 AM
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/SU%20play%20by%20play_1__zpsuh0i2hon.png
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/SU%20play%20by%20play_2__zpsytooqi5o.png
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/SU%20play%20by%20play_3__zpsvb5ws6tx.png
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/SU%20play%20by%20play_4__zpsebdok8l0.png
SU only called 1 timeout in the second half

mattydog73
03-29-2016, 12:35 PM
IMO it really turned in a 1 minute and 40 seconds. Between 2:57-1:17

Senior Guard in-bounds pass under his own basket, TO turned into 2 points for Cuse. Wiltjer missed lay in. Syracuse offensive rebound, tip in 2 points. Sabonis missed FT. Four offensive rebounds in a row for Cuse & a foul on Sabonis + 1 FT 1:17 left GU TO, no points for Cuse but no chance for points for GU.

Between made shots and missed shots, that is a minimum 8 point swing. Even with half of those instances going GU's way, they likely win by 1 or 2. Instead they fail to execute against a team that is punching their way to a victory.

However, I will say it is still hard for me to swallow that the beautiful three Perkins made was wiped out by the timeout called by Few. my "if only"