PDA

View Full Version : Future Opponent --Washington Huskies players hitting the road

Zagdawg
03-23-2016, 04:36 PM
UW Men's Basketball
@UW_MBB

Marquese Chriss and Dejounte Murray have elected to enter the 2016 NBA Draft - both will hire agents and will not return in 2016-17

Andrew Andrews also graduating

Lose 3 top scorers and 3 of their top 4 rebounders

23dpg
03-23-2016, 04:37 PM
UW Men's Basketball
@UW_MBB

Marquese Chriss and Dejounte Murray have elected to enter the 2016 NBA Draft - both will hire agents and will not return in 2016-17

Andrew Andrews also graduating

Too bad for the Huskies. I thought they were on the verge of something good next year.

DixieZag
03-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Do either of those kids have a hope?

23dpg
03-23-2016, 04:40 PM
Chriss is #15 at draft express. Murray is 34th. Seems like one is making a mistake.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Is that game actually going to happen?

Zagdawg
03-23-2016, 04:46 PM
"Less than two days after their season ended with a loss at San Diego State in the second round of the NIT, Washington freshmen Dejounte Murray and Marquese Chriss ended effectively ended their college careers.

Both released tweets Monday afternoon announcing they’ll enter the NBA draft in June.

Minutes later, the Huskies tweeted Murray and Chriss plan to sign with agents and will not return for the 2016-17 season."

Murray averaged 16.1 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists.

Chriss averaged 13.7 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks. He also set the Pac-12 record for 138 fouls and was disqualified 15 times.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/washingtons-dejounte-murray-and-marquese-chriss-declare-for-nba-draft/

Zag_Dad
03-23-2016, 05:12 PM
How long before they fire Romar? He just hasn't been ablate produce.

Zagdawg
03-23-2016, 05:16 PM
"Washington coach Lorenzo Romar said early feedback from the NBA suggests the Husky freshmen would be taken in the first round of the NBA draft on June 23. Several mock drafts affirm that belief. Murray is projected as a No. 10 pick by NBAdraft.net and Chriss is predicted to be the No. 11 pick by ESPN."

So 2-3 more first rounders on his roster and he still couldn't dance-- that takes some skill.

seacatfan
03-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Ouch for the Huskies. Does some serious damage to their hopes for next season.

23dpg
03-23-2016, 05:17 PM
How long before they fire Romar? He just hasn't been ablate produce.

He has a stud class coming in next year. He's been able to sell "next year" for a while now.

seacatfan
03-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Zags recruited Murray. Some day, GU might have a one and doner. Would be strange, but if they continue to go after highly rated high school players, it goes with the territory.

Zag_Dad
03-23-2016, 05:19 PM
He has a stud class coming in next year. He's been able to sell "next year" for a while now.

Seems like that is what we hear every year... "he's got a great class coming in next year"

seacatfan
03-23-2016, 05:19 PM

He has a good class, or he has one highly rated player (Fultz)? With so many freshmen last year, I wouldn't think there would be much room...although two scholies just opened up obviously.

Zagdawg
03-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Don't know that I would consider them "one and doners"-- although they did bail after the first year-- more likely due to tired of losing -- rather than actually being ready for the NBA. One was the 49th rated recruit in the class as a guard who shoots 28% from three-- the other is the 60th rated player who can't stay in a game due to foul issues.

I wonder if it made sense for either to stick around one more year to improve their games.

cjm720
03-23-2016, 05:23 PM

Absolutely. I'll be shocked if they both aren't selected in round one.

seacatfan
03-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Don't know that I would consider them "one and doners"-- although they did bail after the first year-- more likely due to tired of losing -- rather than actually being ready for the NBA.

Being ready has nothing to do with it, been that way for a long time. Draft is all about potential. Murray and Chriss definitely both have potential.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2016, 05:41 PM

IN the NBA? Absolutely not. Drafted into the NBA? Sure why not

DixieZag
03-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Absolutely. I'll be shocked if they both aren't selected in round one.

Thx.

I knew we recruited Murray and how highly he ranked out coming out of HS, but had no idea if these two coming out represented bad judgment, oo little patience, or whether the numbers made sense.

sittingon50
03-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Is that game actually going to happen?

RPI killer!

hooter73
03-23-2016, 08:12 PM
They have a guy coming in that is already projected to go number 5 in the 2017 draft. They also haven't made the ncaas in five years. Murray is going to sit on a pro bench for years. Woo. Hoo.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2016, 08:16 PM
They have a guy coming in that is already projected to go number 5 in the 2017 draft. They also haven't made the ncaas in five years. Murray is going to sit on a pro bench for years. Woo. Hoo.

I dont think he will even do that.....D league at best IMO

One must truly wonder why with the "pro" level players they grab why they cant make the big dance......

Coach Crazy
03-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Dejonte Murray will be in the D-League. At best, the end of the bench of an NBA team.

CDC84
03-23-2016, 08:41 PM
I think you are going to be seeing some "surprising" players entering the draft this year because the 2016 recruiting class in the best one in years. We will be seeing multiple, high end on and doners in next year's draft.

I guess what I am surprised by is that these guys are hiring agents and the whole deal. The new combine rules combined with the extended draft declaration deadline allow you to test the waters and do so multiple times. Why the rush?

Zagger
03-24-2016, 05:40 AM
I think you are going to be seeing some "surprising" players entering the draft this year because the 2016 recruiting class in the best one in years. We will be seeing multiple, high end on and doners in next year's draft.

I guess what I am surprised by is that these guys are hiring agents and the whole deal. The new combine rules combined with the extended draft declaration deadline allow you to test the waters and do so multiple times. Why the rush?

Why the rush? My guess would be impatience - plain and simple - coupled with a strong desire to make a NBA move. It's also why I think UW doesn't do that well as a team - impatience. To be coached well requires the team to buy into, and work hard at, what the coaching staff is trying to cook up. For an athelete who has his sights squarely on the NBA .....

I'm sure this is a hard nut to crack - recruiting talent AS WELL AS who will make a good addition to the school's program can't be easy. My guess is that the better the athlete the more difficult the issue becomes for a coaching staff. Patience in this regard likely applies as well. Do the coaches go for the best they can get in hopes of building a winning team quickly and ignore how long they may have that athlete on the team? Even though Kevin and Gary are not around now they helped build the team we now have - a great team. That avenue surely can't happen with one and dones.

titopoet
03-24-2016, 06:07 AM
Both are coming out as this draft is thought of as weak. Both will be picked, though not as high as they think.

zagfan24
03-24-2016, 06:09 AM
I always hear that the NBA drafts on potential, and while that may be true, it's interesting to look at the true superstars in the league. They all seem to be players who were also dominant already in college (LeBron is in his own category, but even he was clearly ready to play from day 1). I don't know if I put much faith in the NBA as a place for player development. It happens for some, but I see many others flounder if they don't come in with a game refined enough to play pretty quickly.

TacomaZAG
03-24-2016, 06:26 AM
Don't know that I would consider them "one and doners"-- although they did bail after the first year-- more likely due to tired of losing -- rather than actually being ready for the NBA. One was the 49th rated recruit in the class as a guard who shoots 28% from three-- the other is the 60th rated player who can't stay in a game due to foul issues.

I wonder if it made sense for either to stick around one more year to improve their games.

This............

Man, who is advising these kids???? Neither one is remotely ready for the NBA, both were barely ready for the pathetic Pac-12.

If they wanted to test the waters, there are ways to do it with out forfeiting future eligibility. These kids, all kids, need mentors and advisors, and these two definitely don't have them. "Yes Men" maybe, but definitely not mentors or advisors.

Time for Romar to go. Can't make the Dance, two more recent young Huskies on the NBA scrap heap. At least they have a "great class coming in", again.............

Go ZAGS

BoZarth
03-24-2016, 06:40 AM
I hope Romar signs an extension.

Go Zags!!!!

zag944
03-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Not every college program is a more nurturing a place to improve your game than the NBA is. While there have been players who have improved there I don't really get the sense that there's a ton of great teaching going on.

If a player's improvement comes in the form of in game experience and not a whole lot else, said player may as well do it with the highest level of competition and get paid for it in the process. Most of what I've seen calls them first round picks, so if that is the case I don't think this is a bad decision on their part.

seacatfan
03-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Had anybody heard of Paul George when he was in college? He certainly wasn't a household name or considered a star or can't miss future NBA player. I'd say he's become a superstar with the Pacers. Kawhi Leonard was a solid player at San Diego St., but did anybody predict what he would develop into? Demar Derozan had a fairly ho-hum freshman year at USC before jumping to the League and he's become a really good player. Steven Adams did nothing in his one year at Pitt, but he's become a solid center in the NBA. Jrue Holiday was really underwhelming in his single season at UCLA, but has gone on to become a good pro. Some players DO develop their game more once they enter the NBA. That's just a few examples I could think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many, many more.

Also Murray and Chriss weren't "barely ready" for the Pac 12. Both were significant contributors, and I'd call Murray a stud. Had several 30+ point scoring games. Averaged over 16 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists per game. If that's barely ready...don't even know what to say to that.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Had anybody heard of Paul George when he was in college? He certainly wasn't a household name or considered a star or can't miss future NBA player. I'd say he's become a superstar with the Pacers. Kawhi Leonard was a solid player at San Diego St., but did anybody predict what he would develop into? Demar Derozan had a fairly ho-hum freshman year at USC before jumping to the League and he's become a really good player. Steven Adams did nothing in his one year at Pitt, but he's become a solid center in the NBA. Jrue Holiday was really underwhelming in his single season at UCLA, but has gone on to become a good pro. Some players DO develop their game more once they enter the NBA. That's just a few examples I could think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many, many more.

Also Murray and Chriss weren't "barely ready" for the Pac 12. Both were significant contributors, and I'd call Murray a stud. Had several 30+ point scoring games. Averaged over 16 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists per game. If that's barely ready...don't even know what to say to that.

It seems to me that he had MULTIPLE Games where he didn't score even in double figures....volume shooter @ a rate of 41% who was far more effective taking someone off dribble than shooting or pull up jumper type of player ..............which tends to get stymied in the pros (although I will be the first to admit that I have only watched a total of about 30 minutes of Pro ball this year and NONE last year as I don't think it is basketball)

didn't he shoot like sub 30% from the college 3 point line

he has some areas that need developing and improving if he is going to be a contributor at the next level IMO

SWZag
03-24-2016, 10:15 AM
It seems to me that he had MULTIPLE Games where he didn't score even in double figures....volume shooter @ a rate of 41% who was far more effective taking someone off dribble than shooting or pull up jumper type of player ..............which tends to get stymied in the pros (although I will be the first to admit that I have only watched a total of about 30 minutes of Pro ball this year and NONE last year as I don't think it is basketball)

didn't he shoot like sub 30% from the college 3 point line

he has some areas that need developing and improving if he is going to be a contributor at the next level IMO

Murray stats:
SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2015-16 WASH 33.5 5.9-14.3 .416 1.0-3.5 .288 3.2-4.9 .663 6.0 4.4 0.3 1.8 2.6 3.2 16.1

coolhandzag
03-24-2016, 10:25 AM

For every early entry, or entry period, that expands their NBA in-situ there are countless who do not. What the players form UW want to do is their choice. They have that privilege. What previous participants have, or have not accomplished does not apply. Best of luck to them.

zagdontzig
03-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Why the rush? My guess would be impatience - plain and simple - coupled with a strong desire to make a NBA move. It's also why I think UW doesn't do that well as a team - impatience. To be coached well requires the team to buy into, and work hard at, what the coaching staff is trying to cook up. For an athelete who has his sights squarely on the NBA [. . . ]

Some have said it. It's not the players, it's Romar. He's fantastic at hustling recruits, but sucks and winning games. Then the talent realizes there's nothing to be gained by staying.

TacomaZAG
03-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Murray stats:
2015-16 WASH 33.5 5.9-14.3 .416 1.0-3.5 .288 3.2-4.9 .663 6.0 4.4 0.3 1.8 2.6 3.2 16.1

Thanks SWZ..........Wonder what he did in conference??? Pretty much every OOC game for the Fuskies was a "stat padder". Not too many Seattle U's or other weak sisters in the NBA.............just sayin'

You have a guard who can't shoot and a forward who can't rebound, 1st round for sure!!!! POTENTIAL..........

Go ZAGS

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Some have said it. It's not the players, it's Romar. He's fantastic at hustling recruits, but sucks and winning games. Then the talent realizes there's nothing to be gained by staying.

Why does he still have a job? Honest question.

Zagdawg
03-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Dawgs fans feedback about the players leaving thinks they might not be missing much without them-- don't know that I agree.

Dennis Alstad Nuclear Machinist Mate at U.S. Navy
"As one other person stated , we may not be missing much with these guys leaving, Chriss lead the NCAA in fouls and was barely on the court and when he was, yes he did score some and block shots but that was maybe half the game. Murray i dont think ever played defense either as he was all about scoring and was non existent on the defensive side, so it was basically like playing 5-4 each time. Yes it sucks but oh well, us fans cant do anything about it. I wish them luck and always GO DAWGS!!"

"Curt Jensen Bellevue, Washington
After watching them....they have great raw talent - but still don't know how to play the game as a team. Defense is non-existent with them. Always looking to make the "big play" for themselves instead of making the extra pass....They are not nearly strong enough to handle the NBA game...but they will get their riches....
sad to see...."

"Spot on Curt......great athletes with little actual basketball fundamentals.....that team was playing Loyola Marymount 1990 version defense by the end of the season"

"Brian Harris West Linn, Oregon
Chriss would be better suited staying another year and learing how to not foul out. He could come back and have a huge second year, learn to keep himself in games and average a lot more point and rebounds and work himself into a lottery pick."

"David Cantelon Sammamish High School
Hard to get on their cases when they have millions of dollars staring them in the face... but neither of these two is good enough to play big minutes in the NBA right away (at least not productive minutes, maybe they wind up on a horrible team and get to be big fish in a small pond). They both have big flaws, and lack some of the "gimmes" that experienced college players come with (how to play solid defense, how to box out, how to find a shot for yourself or a teammate within the flow of an offense).
Murray needs to work on his shot selection, and on his shooting in general. He might struggle at the the NBA level if he is on a team where he doesn't get the ball in his hands often -- and if he's struggling to shoot 40% from the field when he's NOT a three point shooter -- I think that's a problem.
Chriss needs to learn how to rebound and play defense without fouling. He's talented, but unless he can stay on the court in a productive way without fouling every few minutes, he's never going to amount to anything. I also don't see why a guy with decent size and plus athleticsim is not able to grab 6 boards a game at the college level unless he's either totally clueless on how to rebound, or he lacks desire."

75Zag
03-24-2016, 11:57 AM
I find some logical disconnect between the GU fans who argue that Sabonis is not qualified to go into the 2016 draft and who must return to GU for another year and these 2 players who are essentially nobodies but who - apparently - are expected to do quite well in the draft. Is it the consensus of the GU board that these guys are so much better than Sabonis that he could not beat them in draft positioning? I respectfully disagree.

Go Bulldogs!

zagdontzig
03-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Why does he still have a job? Honest question.

I couldn't tell you for sure. I speculate (emphasize that I'm speculating) he relies on some combination of the hype he generates with his incoming classes and the athletic department being focused on making UW football competitive again. There are reasons why NWG came to us, and one of them obviously wasn't playing time. Whatever it is, his reputation is one of great recruiting, sorry productivity. In my book he's also a coward for not scheduling us, citing the "Gonzaga Factor." The Gonzaga Factor is what he called our supposed spying on his practices when he last lost to us, saying we were too well-prepared for stopping his offense. Who knows what he's blaming his other losses on.

SWZag
03-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks SWZ..........Wonder what he did in conference??? Pretty much every OOC game for the Fuskies was a "stat padder". Not too many Seattle U's or other weak sisters in the NBA.............just sayin'

You have a guard who can't shoot and a forward who can't rebound, 1st round for sure!!!! POTENTIAL..........

Go ZAGS

Murray Overall Stats:

Murray Pac 12 (including tourney) Stats:
MIN FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
35.8 124 293 42.32% 22 64 34.38% 65 106 61.32% 5.5 4.3 0.3 2.0 2.9 3.0 16.8

Against Ranked Teams when the two teams played: (Gonzaga, UCLA, Arizona 2x, Oregon 2x)
37.0 32 90 35.56% 7 23 30.43% 14 19 73.68% 6.0 4.8 0.2 2.2 3.0 3.8 14.0

TacomaZAG
03-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Murray Overall Stats:

Murray Pac 12 (including tourney) Stats:
35.8 124 293 42.32% 22 64 34.38% 65 106 61.32% 5.5 4.3 0.3 2.0 2.9 3.0 16.8

Against Ranked Teams when the two teams played: (Gonzaga, UCLA, Arizona 2x, Oregon 2x)
37.0 32 90 35.56% 7 23 30.43% 14 19 73.68% 6.0 4.8 0.2 2.2 3.0 3.8 14.0

Thanks again, SWZ.......................................interest ing differences

Go ZAGS

Zag 77
03-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Nice guys, very entertaining, sharp dressers, great recruiters but can't coach their way out of a paper bag.

northsidezagfan
03-24-2016, 07:02 PM
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/dejounte-murray-explains-why-hes-leaving-washington-and-opting-for-nba-draft/

Zagceo
03-24-2016, 07:05 PM
I don't really care about every single move of a future opponent.

This thread should be moved to general basketball.

zag944
03-25-2016, 07:33 AM
I find some logical disconnect between the GU fans who argue that Sabonis is not qualified to go into the 2016 draft and who must return to GU for another year and these 2 players who are essentially nobodies but who - apparently - are expected to do quite well in the draft. Is it the consensus of the GU board that these guys are so much better than Sabonis that he could not beat them in draft positioning? I respectfully disagree.

I think most here would expect Sabonis to do quite well in the draft too (all three guys are roughly mid to late first round). However, many think Sabonis could play himself into that top 10 territory with another year....then I suspect there are a few just sending some wishful thinking vibes, hoping he stays :)