PDA

View Full Version : Zag Season

Zagger
03-23-2016, 06:45 AM
It's - Not - O - Ver :)
Today I find myself reflecting back and thinking ahead - although trying my best not to ponder past Friday. What a season! Sorta like a ride on Silverwood's Timber Terror only in slowmo. Lots of questions early on ranging from the odd (Okinawa's court) to the slow depression learning that Mt. K's back was, at the least, a season ending injury. (It's very encouraging to see how well he carries himself and moves now though.) The tentative play by the team mid-winter perplexed me the most. Then came the steady rebuilding to a working/meshing team yet they lose to SMC on Senior Night. That loss seems to have ignited the team. Then the gutsy win in Provo setting up the current run. Quite a unique path these Zags have taken to get to a Sweet 16 game with Syracuse on Friday. I have a huge grin just thinking about Friday's game win or lose. This bunch has paid their dues and the HBO series has helped us see even deeper into a program we already admire and know quite a bit about. Right now I'm hoping the Zags get to play Virginia on Sunday (with all due respect to Syracuse). I just personally do not want to get off this ride and would like to see our Seniors play together that much longer. But, for now ......
It's - Not - O - Ver :)
GO ZAGS!

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2016, 06:53 AM
As weird as it sounds... The turning point for this team was right there on film... showed to the world.

Senior night, tears on the court, tears in the Kennel Club... the KC starts chanting, "It's not over!" These people are their friends and classmates. In a school the size of GU, that means a lot. You aren't some nameless body in a class of hundreds... you are taking classes with these guys and in classes of 15-20, sometimes less. I know when I was at GU... everyone knew everybody. I honestly think this team took that to heart and we're lifted by the KC. That chant meant everything in the world to this team. At their lowest point, their friends picked them up and carried them.

If it all ends Friday, so be it... but I suspect that this team will never forget what their friends off the court did for them that night.

raise the zag
03-23-2016, 06:56 AM
Terrific post and synopsis. Thanks :)

Given the odd beginning, to the tough news, to ugly play, to HBO series, to clutch moments, to fulfilled promises, intense battles, to the growth, the emergence, the success!

Maybe the most memorable and unforgettable season I've experienced over the past 20 years or so...

raise the zag
03-23-2016, 07:00 AM
As weird as it sounds... The turning point for this team was right there on film... showed to the world.

So true.

I wonder if the team watching themselves on film helped as well. Watching their own pain, their own emergence, leadership rising, the message, behind their own scenes, etc.

Did this help turn the tide? Possibly? Interesting to consider. I know it helped the fans win or lose. It helped my friends and my wife finally warm up to Coach Few…and understanding the dynamics of the team. How hard they take losing, for instance. Surprisingly, it shocked me. They feel way worse than we do.

I wonder if this relaxed the team, instead of putting pressure on them, as many thought.

DixieZag
03-23-2016, 07:08 AM
I recall an article written a few years ago when a young woman KC member described the basis for their passion. "We all know each other. We're not hear cheering for our team or our school so much as we're here cheering for our friends."

That sounds right.

Zagceo
03-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Senior night, tears on the court, tears in the Kennel Club... the KC starts chanting, "It's not over!" These people are their friends and classmates. In a school the size of GU, that means a lot. You aren't some nameless body in a class of hundreds... you are taking classes with these guys and in classes of 15-20, sometimes less. I know when I was at GU... everyone knew everybody. I honestly think this team took that to heart and we're lifted by the KC. That chant meant everything in the world to this team. At their lowest point, their friends picked them up and carried them.

If it all ends Friday, so be it... but I suspect that this team will never forget what their friends off the court did for them that night.

It may have been part of the turning point but it didn't sink in until later that week when TL sent team to the showers………EM played good cop giving his speech about come on guys we're 20-7 not 7-20…….lets not blow this opportunity.

The real turning point was my lucky ZAG sweater……sent from my brother in law in Federal way.

It was 70+ degree day in San Diego …… I did wear it to the USD game. I have had it on for every game since…..7-0….just saying

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TtIAAOSwr7ZW2393/s-l1600.jpg

zagzilla
03-23-2016, 07:49 AM
Keep wearing that sweater!

gonzagafan62
03-23-2016, 07:50 AM
It may have been part of the turning point but it didn't sink in until later that week when TL sent team to the showers………EM played good cop giving his speech about come on guys we're 20-7 not 7-20…….lets not blow this opportunity.

The real turning point was my lucky ZAG sweater……sent from my brother in law in Federal way.

It was 70+ degree day in San Diego …… I did wear it to the USD game. I have had it on for every game since…..7-0….just saying

We all must be wearing lucky sweaters. Ever since I started wearing my grey one (ala Christmas last year 2014) we've been 7-0. All along I thought it was my sweater. Yikes.

Anyway, yeah when Eric made that speech and said we were 21-7 "Life's Good" that switched it around. What have the team confidence however was winning in Provo. That Josh Perkins bear hug (a missed call) changed everything for Gonzaga (and a little luck too, with Emery missing some clutch 3s)

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Keep wearing that sweater!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
T H I S

Zagdog71
03-23-2016, 12:14 PM
So many factors. I'll keep wearing my very lucky grey t-shirt and Zags cap. One of the biggest factors was the team having/finding a leader - Emac.