PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs 'Cuse Predictions

Zags11
03-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Zags 78
Cuse 73

It will be a tough game for 30 of the 40 minutes but zags feel in control and win by 5.

Sabonis 19

DixieZag
03-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Zags 76
Orange 68

Wiltjer with 21
eMac - 18
Sabonis - 18

Hot start, repel several runs.

LongIslandZagFan
03-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Zone shuts us down

Cuse - 72
Zags - 68

Zagger
03-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Let's see, We got by BYU 88-84, SMC 85-75, SHU 68-52 and UTAH 82-59. Our winning point spread is steadily increasing 2, 10, 16, 23. Pretty sure the most we've lost by this year is 9 @ SMU. Looks like the average win point spread as of late is increasing by 7. Following that trend we'd win by 30 on Friday ....... Fun to dream anyway!
My gut feeling on Syracuse is Zags 85 - Cuse 70. I do not feel that Orange can get Red hot against the Zags. But, I do feel they're a competitive team. Zag D, Zag shooting and Zags at the FT line will be hard for Syracuse to handle. I feel that they'll bank too much on their Zone and when we crack it they'll not have a decent Plan B. I also feel it will be another team effort by the Zags on scoring - maybe even some nifty shooting by Alberts :-) Go Zags!

gonzagafan62
03-22-2016, 06:24 PM
Syracuse 88
Zags 70

Our entire team is not athletic and very slow!

ZagsObserver
03-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Zags 73, Syracuse 64. Closest game of the tourney for the Zags

uZiGiZaG
03-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Syracuse 71 - Gonzaga 63

I hope I am wrong. I pray that I am.. I'd love nothing more than ending Cuse season, especially after all the crap I heard from them after they dusted us in 2010... But I just have a bad feeling about this game bc of the system and coach.. Gonzaga is the better team, and they should win, but I think coaching might win this one .. I think Gonzaga is due for an off night and will go in a huge slump offensively and let the game slip away early in the 2nd half and then fight and claw to get back within 10 but will never catch back up to Boeheim and company

gonzagafan62
03-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Syracuse 71 - Gonzaga 63

I hope I am wrong. I pray that I am.. I'd love nothing more than ending Cuse season, especially after all the crap I heard from them after they dusted us in 2010... But I just have a bad feeling about this game bc of the system and coach.. Gonzaga is the better team, and they should win, but I think coaching might win this one .. I think Gonzaga is due for an off night and will go in a huge slump offensively and let the game slip away early in the 2nd half and then fight and claw to get back within 10 but will never catch back up to Boeheim and company

You may be right sadly - but if you wanna know the truth, Gonzaga had a pretty bad off night in Denver against Seton Hall. Not sure of the stats by any means but it didn't seem like either team shot the ball well.

On the other hand, Boeheim is the better coach no doubt. The Zone is definitely a nightmare. But we got the drivers, slashers, 3pt guys, and the post to win it. Will we? Idk.

Could we have an off night and win this game? I say no, but if we are putting things in perspective we have nearly a full week to prepare and middle Tennessee state missed a lot of bunnies in that game. This is the tournament and I'm very worried about this game but I'm confident at the same time.

This team has played with the most guts I've seen a zag team in many years.

CREDIT tinfoilzag: GU may lose, but Syracuse will have earned it.

Go zags

Zagceo
03-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Zags 85
Syra 60

MJ777
03-22-2016, 09:24 PM
Zags 71 Orangemen? 65. Go Zags!

maynard g krebs
03-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Zags 72-63. Zone slows game down a bit but Zags shoot 51% w/ 8 3's.

TrueLiz
03-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Agreed about Syracuse needing to earn it to win it. And as we know, even most of the "off" games for GU this year ended up being 1 or 2 possessions at the end. But Zags had zero bad losses. Cuse lost to St. John's, whose RPI, I believe, would fit in nicely in the lower half of the WCC. So while the Orange have shown they can beat a good (not great) Duke team, they also have shown that they can be horrid too. It would be nice if the Zags played a perfect game, but it won't necessarily be required. Syracuse's last 3 games are a loss to a barely in Pitt team, then a win over an over seeded 7, and a 15 seed. So I don't see the "hot finish" that Syracuse fans are referencing in various forms of social media.

But the only thing that matters is what happens Friday!

ZagaZags
03-22-2016, 09:47 PM
Syracuse will go after Sabonis early and often, trying to get him in early foul trouble. Domas doesn't bite and GU wins. GU hits 8 three pointers and wins the battle on the boards.

Gonzaga 76

Syracuse 67

zagamatic
03-22-2016, 10:25 PM
Per the Zags D, Syracuse has an "off night" offensively that their fans won't be able to understand. And while the zone slows the Zags down some, I'm thinking that the final score will look something like 68-58 Zags.

RenoZag
03-23-2016, 05:18 AM
The Hunters - 78
The Hunted - 73

Zags add another pelt to the Big Dance trophy case.

titopoet
03-23-2016, 05:39 AM
The Lithuanian nightmare goes into Bonus Zone Busting mode
and Kyle "The Forgotten Man" Wiltjer Goes off for and reminds the nation why he's got a ring.
The Orange find out yet again why they tend to lose with against teams with good big men.

Few's good men in a blowout 81
The squeezed orange 67

Cusefan
03-23-2016, 05:56 AM
Can Cuse fans vote?

If so, I'll go Cuse 64 - Zags 60.

If this game goes into the 70's, Cuse loses I think.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-23-2016, 05:59 AM
Can Cuse fans vote?

If so, I'll go Cuse 64 - Zags 60.

If this game goes into the 70's, Cuse loses I think.

Vote early. Vote often. Welcome aboard.

bigblahla
03-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Off night....NO....Zags won't lose this game...if the Orange win it's because they played their best game of the year and I don't see that happening....Zags win...

Go!! Zags!!!

orangealum
03-23-2016, 07:45 AM
I'm a Cuse fan, but I keep expecting that we'll come back down to Earth, so I'm going to say:

Gonzaga: 72
Syracuse: 61

I honestly won't be surprised by any result though. This team is so Jekyll & Hyde.

Jstock12
03-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Zags 116
Syracuse 94

Wiltjer 51 points (12/16 3PT), 8 rebounds
Sabonis 28 points, 22 rebounds
Dranginis 8 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 6 steals, 5 blocks

Chicken Ball
03-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Zags 116
Syracuse 94

Wiltjer 51 points (12/16 3PT), 8 rebounds
Sabonis 28 points, 22 rebounds
Dranginis 8 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 6 steals, 5 blocks

This. In a surprise twist, Mark Few busts out Paul Westhead's System and reveals that Travis Knight has been working the team's conditioning up for this moment. Three Orangemen have to be helped back into the training room because of exhaustion.

BULLDOG#1
03-23-2016, 09:04 AM
When I watched the Cuse play in the Bahamas, I thought that it looked like a team that would give the zags fits. If they had played then, even with Karno, I think Cuse runs away with it.

A lot has changed this season and with this team though, and the team and the way it has been playing lately (especially defensively) will make this a close game and possibly snag a win for the zags. EMac and Perkins have really come on and can do some damage of their own now -- instead of just facilitating the offense.

To win, someone will have to have the game of their life. As good as Wiltjer has been, he's yet to show his best stuff in this tournament. Could it be him knocking down 30+ points? Dranginis or Melson nailing 5 or 6 threes? Perkins and Emac shredding the zone? I don't know, but I do think that there's a certain destiny attached to this team right now. Because of that, I'll go with a 5 point GU victory.

Cusefan
03-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Syracuse 94

Only if the game goes into triple overtime. 94 points would take us awhile...

Jstock12
03-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Only if the game goes into triple overtime. 94 points would take us awhile...

I like to think out of the box :cheers:

ZagLawGrad
03-23-2016, 12:11 PM
With intensity and focus, Zags win going away.

http://i1.wp.com/gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/jim-boeheim-nap-sleep-syracuse-4.jpg?resize=570%2C426

rennis
03-23-2016, 12:24 PM
I could go into all kinds of (very) amateur analysis on why the Zags do or don't have success against the zone, why or why not I think Syracuse will score enough points to beat the Zags if they can limit GU's scoring etc. etc.

Instead, I'm throwing logic out the window and basing my prediction on historical events that support my desire for the Zags to advance. And that is this: In the majority of Gonzaga's Sweet 16 or Elite 8 years they run into a great team that manages to beat GU and that team then goes on to win the national championship. Uconn, Michigan State, UNC, and of course Duke last year. I think it happens again, and whoever beats the Zags in this tournament wins the whole thing.

'Cuse doesn't have what it takes to win the whole thing. They've got a lot of talent and I respect what they bring to the table, but they don't have the horses to win it all. Therefore, destiny shall be against them and they won't beat Gonzaga either.

Gonzaga 77
Syracuse 68

Zageist
03-23-2016, 12:40 PM
GU by 7

zagsfanforlife
03-23-2016, 01:21 PM
I expect to see Boeheim looking like this with about 2 minutes left:

https://brobible.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/jim-boeheim-pissed-pants.jpg?quality=90&w=650&h=426

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Kenpom favors the Zags slightly. Overall ratings are Gonzaga 18 to Syracuse 28. Zags are rated 23rd in the nation in adjusted offensive efficiency and 23rd in adjusted defensive efficiency. That's some rare symmatry.

Syracuse ranks 52 and 22 in adjusted O and D.

http://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankSOSPythag

CUSE
03-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Zags 78
Cuse 73

It will be a tough game for 30 of the 40 minutes but zags feel in control and win by 5.

Sabonis 19

I'm hoping for a good game but I'm not feeling good about it. We don't match up with your size very well and I think your bigs are going to do some damage. Gonzaga seems to be gelling at the right time and could end up being the team everyone thought they were at the beginning of the season.

23dpg
03-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Gonzaga 67
Syracuse 63

Based on nothing.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Zags 71
Cuse 60

We out rebound them by 12 and one of our guards goes off against zone while sabonis gets his double double

MTZag03
03-23-2016, 04:49 PM
It's pretty much a given Sabonis will have a double double, particularly against a zone. I'm going to say that if they get him in foul trouble early it's 60-57 Syracuse. If they don't 70-60 Gonzaga.

Reborn
03-24-2016, 07:06 AM
Gonzaga 75
Syracuse 58

I watched the Gonzaga vs Seton Hall game again yesterday, and Seton Hall was one tough team. I don't think Syrucuse's defense will be any tougher than Seton Hall's.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
03-24-2016, 07:31 AM
I'm hoping for a good game but I'm not feeling good about it. We don't match up with your size very well and I think your bigs are going to do some damage. Gonzaga seems to be gelling at the right time and could end up being the team everyone thought they were at the beginning of the season.

One game, anything can happen.

Yeah, we had a tough stretch in December-January, adjusting to the loss of Karno. I don't think I'm exaggerating, but had Karno stayed healthy, I think we'd be 32-3 or better, rather than 28-7. Huge adjustments all around: Sabonis went from being 6th man to starting center, guards were figuring out their roles. Josh Perkins was a year removed from an horrific broken jaw, where he was not cleared for contact until May of last year. Plus we lost two 4-year starters in the backcourt, turning our point guard over to Josh, a redshirt freshman.

Now we're at the point where we can win if Sabonis and Wiltjer have off games, the guards can pick us up. Takes the pressure off the bigs, too. Watch out for McClellan, he's one of the speediest guards in the country.

I'm confident, but nervous...one and done will do that to you. Whatever demons we've had are in the past. Last year's Elite 8 and the thrashing of Utah exorcised UCLA in '06 and Wichita State in '13.

Adding to that are our prospects for next year and beyond. I can't recall where we've ever had a top-30 ranked recruiting class, this year's is top-15 +/-, and doesn't include two transfers that will be eligible next year: Nigel Williams-Goss (UW) and Johnathan Williams III (Missouri). We'll lose McClellan, Drainginis, and Wiltjer to graduation, and perhaps Sabonis and Karno (who could take a medical redshirt).

For now, I'm enjoying the show.

stevet75
03-24-2016, 07:39 AM
Zags are going to win this one. they will struggle compared to the last few games, but still come out on top because of defense.

maynard g krebs
03-24-2016, 01:36 PM
I can't recall where we've ever had a top-30 ranked recruiting class,

Daye, Gray, Sacre. But that's it.

77Zag
03-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Zags 75
Orange 64

Go Zags - Beat the Orange!

raise the zag
03-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Couldn't be more proud of this resilient team. Tough, gritty, and determined to win.

I've adored this "run", ever since the game @BYU, where we pushed through as a team, we've been nearly unstoppable.

This group is capable of anything, including an improbable birth in the Sweet 16 -- as an 11 seed. Proved the doubters and the haters wrong, and proved ourselves right.

I love the fight, the moxy, and the heart of our guys. The most memorable season from start to finish in a decade. Maybe the most gratifying as well.

That said, and I've been saying it all week, I don't know how Kyle D, Kyle W, and Sabonis are going to handle their long, fast, and athletic wings. They have 3 6'8" guys who run the floor extremely well and shoot 40% from 3pt as well. They slash to the hoop. They destroyed numerous Tournament teams with this methodology.

I know we can rebound, score, and play with 'Cuse, but can our guys defend the mis-matches? I foresee early foul trouble, we've been fortunate to avoid thus far. I see Boeheim with a week to prepare and run the same pick 'n rolls vs Wiltjer as St Mary's did all season, but with their ball handling wings, not guards.

I believe in this team. I believe we can win. I just don't think we can defend them for 40 mins with 6 guys.

Cuse - 76
Zags - 72

DixieZag
03-24-2016, 02:28 PM
I believe in this team. I believe we can win. I just don't think we can defend them for 40 mins with 6 guys.

Cuse - 76
Zags - 72

Little more time to heal for Edwards. Read that Syracuse struggles with teams with height. Perhaps his defense for 4 minutes a half, rim protection, a few well-placed fouls, provide enough to avoid big foul trouble?

In terms of how we score, I'm hoping we do it the way Pitt did in the first game of the ACC tourney.

This is me looking for positives, believing, obviously.

bartruff1
03-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Dr. Jerry Krause was on CH 2 last night with a explanation of how the Cuse Zone works....the bottom line was , it won't work against KW.... " He could go for 100 " .

Now, I know that is hyperbole but never the less, his point is well taken.....

Gonzaga fairly easy....if the guards are hitting.....very easy...my opinion not Jerry's.

gonzagafan62
03-24-2016, 03:31 PM
Dr. Jerry Krause was on CH 2 last night with a explanation of how the Cuse Zone works....the bottom line was , it won't work against KW.... " He could go for 100 " .

Now, I know that is hyperbole but never the less, his point is well taken.....

Gonzaga fairly easy....if the guards are hitting.....very easy...my opinion not Jerry's.

Seton Hall opened up in zone against us, and 3 seconds in the game Wiltjer buried a 3. Don't think they'll leave Wiltjer open this time

gonstu
03-24-2016, 03:38 PM
Still would prefer for the game plan not to be Wiltjer bomb 3's, but if he's open, he's gotta take it right?

Goshzagit
03-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Still would prefer for the game plan not to be Wiltjer bomb 3's, but if he's open, he's gotta take it right?

He's the primary reason teams did not zone much against us.

If he's open, he could make 10 3's in a game.

23dpg
03-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Syracuse zone>Seton Hall zone

I think we'll need 20+ from Wiltj tomorrow.

dan71w
03-24-2016, 04:54 PM
I do not usually do the predictions, but will make an exception this time.
The Zone defense typically slows games WAY down, making each possession ever more critical. Thus the score will reflect lower than what GU is normal for. I really think Zags walk away from this with a good win, and will not be close; simply the score will look close, because the zone is does that, keep games low scoring and close. this will be a grinder type game. we win at the stripe. we control the game, just the zone makes for a slow monotonous game.
65 Zags
59 Cuse

Pallet
03-24-2016, 06:06 PM
I think syracuses length will smother the perimeter and GU won't have quite enough inside to pull off the win. Syracuse by 5

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Syracuse zone>Seton Hall zone

I think we'll need 20+ from Wiltj tomorrow.

When Seton Hall started the game in that zone with three guys above the key, it felt like this...

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/wishtv.com/photos/2015/10/g38582-twitter-turns-colts-fake-punt-into-meme/654322-twitter-turns-colts-fake-punt-into-meme-d5427.jpg

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-24-2016, 07:04 PM
When Seton Hall started the game in that zone with three guys above the key, it felt like this...

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/wishtv.com/photos/2015/10/g38582-twitter-turns-colts-fake-punt-into-meme/654322-twitter-turns-colts-fake-punt-into-meme-d5427.jpg

I was begging the Pirate coach to stay in that defense.

kitzbuel
03-24-2016, 09:05 PM
We are at that part of the tournament where the favored teams start winning. GU beats the spread, wins by 10.

willandi
03-25-2016, 07:06 AM
Butterfly's, 11 hours to tip off.

gu03alum
03-25-2016, 07:12 AM
Gonzaga 81
Syracuse 69

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8k5k7D4QzvQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Zagger14
03-25-2016, 07:30 AM
BB is all about matchups and I don't think Syracuse zone is a good matchup for us. Potential all ACC Elite 8 on this side of the bracket, with UNC vs Notre Dame and Virginia vs Cuse.

Cuse 69
Zags 61

strikenowhere
03-25-2016, 07:30 AM
Zags - 72
Tang - 63

Wiltjer goes off, popping off shots all over the 3-pt line over the heads of their guards with Sabonis picking up a career high in rebounds.

cjm720
03-25-2016, 07:48 AM
The way our guards have been playing I just don't see us losing.

gozagswoohoo
03-25-2016, 07:52 AM
I'll never understand how die-hard fans of a team can ever predict a loss...

I guess it just depends on your personality, or maybe it's a superstition thing....but I'll never get that. I might be nervous or afraid of losing, but I will never see myself thinking "Yeah...we're gonna lose this game".

I don't care who it is, every time we go into a game, I go in thinking we'll pull it out. That's just me.

gonzagafan62
03-25-2016, 07:57 AM

I guess it just depends on your personality, or maybe it's a superstition thing....but I'll never get that. I might be nervous or afraid of losing, but I will never see myself thinking "Yeah...we're gonna lose this game".

I don't care who it is, every time we go into a game, I go in thinking we'll pull it out. That's just me.

I do know one thing. If you've seen my predictions over the last three weeks you'd understand :)

bartruff1
03-25-2016, 08:20 AM
Perhaps they are just being honest....

Reborn
03-25-2016, 08:29 AM

GREAT POST.

gozagswoohoo
03-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Perhaps they are just being honest....

You know what they say about being honest...

MickMick
03-25-2016, 08:46 AM
I'll be honest and say that I have been reading the Syracuse forums.

I read earlier in the week, by more than a couple of Cuse posters, that they believed the ACC was so superior, that there was a possibility that the conference would win every game in the sweet 16 round. I didn't know if they were simply full of bravado or were clued in to some deeper insight with respect to NCAA hoops. Then I witnessed Miami and Duke not only lose, but get pummeled. Dominated. That is when I knew the Cuse fans were simply chest pounding. The ACC is not superhuman after all. One of their posters claimed that GU was another Florida State. I believe GU last played Florida State in the NCAA tournament and beat them rather handily as well. More bravado.

I won't make a prediction, but I am not buying what the Syracuse fans are selling. The game is probably a toss up, although if anything else, I am more inclined to believe the oddsmakers. I don't believe GU is the caliber of Kansas or UNC, but I don't believe Syracuse is either.

cbbfanatic
03-25-2016, 08:58 AM
another fairly easy win

gu03alum
03-25-2016, 09:19 AM

It's kind of like starting a thread titled "If the Zags don't win it all, i"

smdh

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2016, 09:25 AM

Could be that.

Zags11
03-25-2016, 11:09 AM

Woo, its more just being honest in their assessment. I predict losses for us at times but wish to hell for a victory.

SwainZag
03-25-2016, 11:11 AM
KW has a huge night, making 8 3's on the way to a 35 point night.

Zags 71
Cuse 63

Zag4Hire
03-25-2016, 11:15 AM
I posted it before similar to the Utah game. Feel nervous but in a good way. Have great vibes from this team since they won at the Marriott. They just absolutely seem on point. It is so much better being the hunter because it was awesome, glad they did it, still remember fondly but my nerves were shot when the Zags were a #1 seed just a few years ago. You could tell it was getting to the team too that they were playing tonight. In all, that wasn't a very fun experience. On the flip side, tons of fun, kids are having a ball, etc. I still feel very good about their chances but that would change if they do end up advancing regardless if it is Virginia or Iowa State. That to me would be a real grinder or perhaps they cut up. Definitely don't count me in the happy to just be here crowd but if you went back to this board and looked at the posts just after the SMC loss on Senior Night, you would have given up a lot just for the Zags to get in the tourney.

Zone this, Sabonis that, Boeheim here, Few there, etc.--I think this is Wiltjer's tournament arrival. Wiltjer will hit his shots and stretch that bad boy out coupled with excellent passing and Sabonosaurus down low, I like the Zags here. Just read SwainZag's post after and he pretty much said what I was thinking sans all the babble. Good job Swain.

So awesome as headed out the door this morning, one of the news desk guys (I live near DC) who is a Cuse alum said he does not feel good at all vs the Zags. The lady prodded him and he said Cuse waxed them before and feels like this is payback in line with the sanctions (in that it would be worse to have the Cuse get on national TV in a big televised game and get thrashed). It made me say, "Omen? Bank it! Good sign"

Canines 75
Citrus 64

GonzaGAW
03-25-2016, 03:13 PM
i have no score prediction, and as the game unfolds we will see soon enough if our offense can figure out and score against the 2-3 zone.
because i do think it is all about our offense. the defense will play well enough.

i will be watching our point production, i heard them say on t.v. that when the zags score 70 or more points we have won every game.

here's hoping for 40 something at half.

Mr Vulture
03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
I'm a little worried in general but I think we can win this game. I think it's close but I also think Wiltjer will cause just enough issues with the zone to win.

Gonzaga - 77
Syracuse - 71