PDA

View Full Version : Few coming up on Gottlieb Show

23dpg
03-22-2016, 01:01 PM
I will post a brief recap.

ZagNative
03-22-2016, 01:19 PM
I am tuned in to Comast 633. Thanks for the heads up. Gottlieb was just talking about what a miserable bunch of fans Syracuse has.

adoptedzag
03-22-2016, 01:25 PM
I am tuned in to Comast 633. Thanks for the heads up. Gottlieb was just talking about what a miserable bunch of fans Syracuse has.

Not surprising, he and SU have a long-standing beef.

23dpg
03-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Method juice bar? Recommended by Few for Gottlieb. G loved it and a sushi bar in Spokane. He was announcing in Spokane.

Picture showing of Few makes him look 18 years old.

Talking about Karno's absence and lack of depth. How toughness came through.
Playing their best basketball of the year.

DG. Speaks of Gonzaga's dominant defense.
MF. The D has been good for years, not so in Ammo and Dickau years. Bigs did a great job of rotation on Poeltl.

DG. You and Boeheim's are great friends, right?
MF. Yes, modeled coaches vs cancer on Boeheim's model. Speaks on how B, K and Izzo staying at their schools influenced him staying at G. Says B privately is a great guy. Tells it like it is. Competitive, salty dog but heart of gold.

DG. People ask,are you competitive enough?
MF. Laughs, 18 years. Says he is psycho competitive. Even in fishing

DG. Syracuse. Biggest challenge?
MF. 40' of zone. Not seen elsewhere. Need to shoot 3s and transition. Don't get frustrated with zone. Wiltjer is X factor

DG. Slim bench. Much like Syracuse.
MF. Agrees. Thinks playing zone help Syracuse shorten bench and keep players in game. Both lack of Depth

DG. What would in mean to get to final 4
MF. This team has.gone through a lot. It would be unbelievable. Mentions there will always be criticism. Final four would be great cause it will give the team another week together.

ZagnetitForce
03-22-2016, 03:21 PM
"Final four would be great cause it will give the team another week together"

Yes please!

Section 116
03-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks 23dpg! I didn't have the opportunity to see this and your recap is excellent!

Zags11
03-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Another week. That is all.

RenoZag
03-22-2016, 07:29 PM
A fellow GU grad from my class posted this on her FB timeline re: Doug G. . .pretty good rant:

Doug Gottlieb just said that Spokane Wa is in Central Washington. Then continued to say that if you head NE about 25 miles from Spokane you would be in Pullman,Wa.Luckily he wasn't filling out a map based on his knowledge.And he was just here for the NCAA! Oh and by the way he still says Gonzaga WRONG every time!!! Really Doug??? What an a$$! The only reason i was watching is because Mark Few is going to be on.I set the DVR,which is what i should have done to begin with. It is so disrespectful to say Gonzaga improperly at this point in time. 18th straight NCAA!!! Go ZAGS!!

Hell hath no fury, etc. . .

FuManShoes
03-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Here's the audio. Good stuff.

http://ak.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/dB/d8/dJ/dL/1B8JL_3.MP3?show=The+Doug+Gottlieb+Show&category=Sports+%26+Recreation&callsign=CBSSPORTS&market=National&awCollectionId=957&awEpisodeId=611805

ZAG'em
03-23-2016, 06:30 AM
Until the head coach stops saying gunzagah I don't know how we can expect the talking heads to do differently.

gonstu
03-23-2016, 08:30 AM
People make too much of the pronunciation IMO.

Zag_Dad
03-23-2016, 09:26 AM
People make too much of the pronunciation IMO.

Sure, mispronouncing Gonzaga is really not that big a deal, but it is a bit disrespectful. Imagine you had a name that was spelled a little differently or was maybe less American than most. Now imagine that it get's mispronounced almost every time when your name is called during roll-call the first few days of school. I guess you would get used to this and just politely correct people. However, at some point you expect people who see you on a regular basis to get it right. A good example is "Barack Obama". One might mispronounce this name the first time you see it or maybe even the second time, but once you have heard it a few times you should be able to get it right. The fact that sport casters are getting paid to cover teams in the tournament, you would think they might spend a little time to make sure the get it right.

Gonzaga has been round a while now.. it's time to get it right.

gonstu
03-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Sure, mispronouncing Gonzaga is really not that big a deal, but it is a bit disrespectful. Imagine you had a name that was spelled a little differently or was maybe less American than most. Now imagine that it get's mispronounced almost every time when your name is called during roll-call the first few days of school. I guess you would get used to this and just politely correct people. However, at some point you expect people who see you on a regular basis to get it right. A good example is "Barack Obama". One might mispronounce this name the first time you see it or maybe even the second time, but once you have heard it a few times you should be able to get it right. The fact that sport casters are getting paid to cover teams in the tournament, you would think they might spend a little time to make sure the get it right.

Gonzaga has been round a while now.. it's time to get it right.

I get what you're saying - my son has a name like that and many cousins on my wife's side. I expect others to say the name correctly and correct them if it's not. But the Gonzaga thing feels different to me. Named after Aloysius Gonzaga - an Italian saint. How do you think Italians pronounce Gonzaga??? That's why I have a hard time correcting people pronouncing it that way. When people pronounce Gon-zah-ga instead of Gon-zag-uh, it's not culturally insensitive to me, whereas your example above (with the school kid) is - or has the potential to be.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Here's the audio. Good stuff.

http://ak.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/dB/d8/dJ/dL/1B8JL_3.MP3?show=The+Doug+Gottlieb+Show&category=Sports+%26+Recreation&callsign=CBSSPORTS&market=National&awCollectionId=957&awEpisodeId=611805

That was an enjoyable interview to hear..thanks for posting FuManShoes.

I like Few's comment that Wiltjer is an x-factor vs the zone because "we can move him around a lot." If Sabonis get the ball at the free throw line and Wiltjer posts up on either block, that's a big problem for a 2-3 zone. Middle defender has to either:
1) step up and defend Sabonis from easy free throw jumper, which means the baseline wing defender on Wiltjer's side really has to pinch in to defend KW in the low post. Short corner, as mentioned by others, is then wide open.
2) drop back to defend KW in low post and trust one of their two guards at the top of the zone, Gbinije or Cooney, to drop down and get in front of Sabonis to bother him. Sabonis can then kick it out to a guard who can drive to the hoop hard when Gbinije/Cooney tries to recover and take it to the hole while Sabonis crashes in for rebound.

Sabonis has to watch out for over the back and guards gotta be sure not to charge.

Zag_Dad
03-23-2016, 10:16 AM
I get what you're saying - my son has a name like that and many cousins on my wife's side. I expect others to say the name correctly and correct them if it's not. But the Gonzaga thing feels different to me. Named after Aloysius Gonzaga - an Italian saint. How do you think Italians pronounce Gonzaga??? That's why I have a hard time correcting people pronouncing it that way. When people pronounce Gon-zah-ga instead of Gon-zag-uh, it's not culturally insensitive to me, whereas your example above (with the school kid) is - or has the potential to be.

Fair point. In the grand scheme of things it's not worth getting too worked up over. I kinda like Gonzaga playing with a chip on the shoulder. If the nation doesn't want to respect us enough to pronounce the school name the way it's pronounced in Spokane, then we'll just have to make believers out of the :)

GO ZAGS!!

gonstu
03-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Fair point. In the grand scheme of things it's not worth getting too worked up over. I kinda like Gonzaga playing with a chip on the shoulder. If the nation doesn't want to respect us enough to pronounce the school name the way it's pronounced in Spokane, then we'll just have to make believers out of the :)

GO ZAGS!!

A couple wins this weekend will make plenty believers for sure! Go zags!

Once and Future Zag
03-23-2016, 10:49 AM

If you think we're fussy about pronunciation, imagine the storm if someone called it the University of No-tra Dahm instead of No-ter Dame on a sports broadcast.

:)