PDA

View Full Version : Which is bigger in Texas?

BobZag
10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
High School Football

or

College Basketball

?

Which is more popular?

former1dog
10-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure my buddy Tex would tell us its HS Football.

MedZag
10-06-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd say high school football by a longshot, except maybe in austin and lubbock.

Akzag
10-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Mr. Taylor?

finechina2003
10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Having lived in Texas for 2 1/2 years, I can tell you that the fervor around football is at its own unique level.

TexasZagFan
10-06-2007, 09:39 PM
High School Football

or

College Basketball

?

Which is more popular?

No question...

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!

NOW BRING BACK MY REP!!! :mad: :mad:

Rubbadub
10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
That's the spirit, Tex. I'm all for hijacking this thread in the name of Foo.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

tyra
10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
It is HS football. For a fun take on this, read James Michener's Texas. It is a fascinating history of Texas and in it, he essentially asserts that HS football is NOT on a scale with religion -- it is above it.

Rubbadub
10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.frombearcreek.com/hijacked.jpg

This thread is now under Foo control.

GonzagaLove
10-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Who cares.

former1dog
10-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Who cares.

You don't have to care to vote in this poll. Thanks!

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=5678

PS - I love Gonzaga too!

Rubbadub
10-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Who cares.

I could name off a list to you..virtually every poster who cares enough to post here more than once a day.

GonzagaLove
10-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Look at the number of posters vs viewers. A lot more choose to view b/c they are tired of a few of you. No names, of course.

Rubbadub
10-06-2007, 10:50 PM
The number of viewers vs. posters has absolutely nothing to do with the rep system. Go ahead and look at the percentage of viewers vs. posters of similar websites without rep. They are going to be just about the same.

GonzagaLove
10-06-2007, 10:52 PM
wt=?

Rubbadub
10-06-2007, 11:03 PM
wt=?

That's certainly different than what was there before...something like "i'm going to regret this in the morning"

GonzagaLove
10-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok, now I am scared.

Rubbadub
10-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Ok, now I am scared.

what are you scared of?

Bocco
10-07-2007, 05:55 AM
I would have to say high school football. Texas is one of those states that if you were being giving a one word response evaluation by a psychiatrist if the word football came up Texas would be the response.

MickMick
10-07-2007, 06:51 AM
As much as Texas high school football has to do with Zag hoops, I am more interested in the rep debate. I can take it or leave it but I am curious of what particular event(s) spurred the change.

I have a feeling it is the beginning of something. Perhaps it wouldn't look right to "purge" the membership of some folk with many green squares? There is talk of some that are intimidated to join in because they can't handle verbal debate? Or is there no room for debate here? Again, I can "take or leave" the rep system, but I am more inclined to be "just a viewer" than ever. It has less to do with little green squares and more to do with the philosophical shift. And some are probably happier for it. Hmmm...I am starting to wonder about what they are writing over there at the Dons board.

TexasZagFan
10-07-2007, 07:34 AM
You need to spend some time with your wife and kids, if you have them.

And you need to spend some time in the Foo. Otherwise, you don't have a clue.

BTW, what statement are you trying to make? Such ad hominem attacks do not belong on these threads, and you have been duly reported.

TexasZagFan
10-07-2007, 07:37 AM
As much as Texas high school football has to do with Zag hoops, I am more interested in the rep debate. I can take it or leave it but I am curious of what particular event(s) spurred the change.

I have a feeling it is the beginning of something. Perhaps it wouldn't look right to "purge" the membership of some folk with many green squares? There is talk of some that are intimidated to join in because they can't handle verbal debate? Or is there no room for debate here? Again, I can "take or leave" the rep system, but I am more inclined to be "just a viewer" than ever. It has less to do with little green squares and more to do with the philosophical shift. And some are probably happier for it. Hmmm...I am starting to wonder about what they are writing over there at the Dons board.

I don't know about Dons Central, but we are heading in the direction of Dawgman, and I don't mean that in a positive sense.

ZagMania
10-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Anyone care to summarize the last 5 or so posts in this thread in a straightforward manner, because it all went way over my head. Rep was taken away so that new people will join? I don't understand..

TexasZagFan
10-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Anyone care to summarize the last 5 or so posts in this thread in a straightforward manner, because it all went way over my head. Rep was taken away so that new people will join? I don't understand..

Rep was taken away because several WHINERS went crying to the powers that be that run this board.

Rep just vanished on Friday afternoon, and there has been no public statement made.

The only thing I understand is that we are headed in the direction of Dawgman and Dons Central.

In Texas, everyone knows the meaning of "Remember the Alamo!"

I now have another creed to live by:

REMEMBER THE REP!!!

TexasZagFan
10-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I'd say high school football by a longshot, except maybe in austin and lubbock.

Lubbock? No way...Bobby Knight can't even fill the house for half of the home games.

Austin...perhaps, but only because UT is there.

Don't know about El Paso, haven't lived there in 10 years. As long as The Bear was coaching, hoops were king in Minerland.

thickman1
10-07-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm guessing that there probably isn't anything bigger sportswise in Texas than HS football.

TexasZagFan
10-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm guessing that there probably isn't anything bigger sportswise in Texas than HS football.

Good guess amigo! :lmao: (not at you, of course, but for the understatement)

I've lived about 25 years in Texas, split between El Paso and Dallas. It's not just the football, it's the pageantry that goes with it. Make no mistake about it: football drives the train for other extracurricular activities, such as the bands, drill teams, etc.

Case in point (and please forgive my bias): for the past six years, I had children attending (and graduating) from Coppell HS, whose size has grown to about 3000 students over the past 20 years. I have divided my time between being a Lariette Dad and a Band Dad.

The football team has played some excellent football over the past 10 years, making it to the playoffs 7-8 times. Our most noteworthy recent graduate is Emmanuel Moody, whose transfer from USC to Florida made national headlines.

The Lariettes have been champions two out of their last three national competitions. I believe their roster now exceeds 70 young ladies, many of whom have taken dance lessons from three or four years old, in hopes of becoming a Lariette. My 7 year old niece aspires to be a Lariette, just like her cousin, Shauna (my daughter). Much of the funding, besides from us parents, is earned during the annual spaghetti dinner, held before the first home game. Roughly 4000 people are fed, at $10 per, and additional proceeds are earned from a silent auction.

The Coppell HS band has established its own reputation, and came in 7th at the State Marching competition last year. While my son Richie was in the band, we have enjoyed tours to Dublin, Ireland, New Orleans, and Washington, DC. A moment that I will never forget, and take to my deathbed, was seeing my son perform at a concert in the venerable St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin.

The cost to keep this 325+ strong band is considerable. The bulk of the funding comes from the Band Boosters Club running the concessions at all events at the football stadium the entire year. I saw only a few games the past four years, but it was worth it.

In the final analysis, the pageantry is unmatched, while the high level of football is incredible. Halftimes are events, with 300+ member marching bands show their stuff, and the drill teams showing their dancing skills in complicated routines.

And ticket prices are still under $10!

BobZag
10-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Actually, the question kinda popped into my head when I watched Meech's brother Mike yesterday in a packed stadium for two mediocre teams--Texas A&M and Okie State. Then I thought of Jeff Taylor. And years ago I read "Friday Night Lights".

I began to wonder if the order of popularity in Texas is--

1. College Football
2. Football Recruiting
3. Football Spring Practice
4. High School Football
5. College Basketball

TexasZagFan
10-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Actually, the question kinda popped into my head when I watched Meech's brother Mike yesterday in a packed stadium for two mediocre teams--Texas A&M and Okie State. Then I thought of Jeff Taylor. And years ago I read "Friday Night Lights".

1. College Football
2. Football Recruiting
4. High School Football
5. College Basketball

You're killing me, BZ!!! :lmao:

For your reading pleasure, I'll regionalize the popularity, but it won't be til later on tonight.

Thanks for the PM...appreciate all of your fine work.

TexasZagFan
10-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I would have to say high school football. Texas is one of those states that if you were being giving a one word response evaluation by a psychiatrist if the word football came up Texas would be the response.

Bocco, the operative term is "bluebonnet". ;)

Birddog
10-07-2007, 02:58 PM
1. College Football
2. Football Recruiting
4. High School Football
5. College Basketball

I don't see "tailgating" or "Bar B Que" in that list.

BTW, I thought it was actually a pretty good game. The OSU tailbacks were pretty impressive if you asked me. I saw some Sanders like moves. Lane is a tank, but I'm betting he wont be that good as pro even though the announcers thought he would.

Birddog

darrenj
10-08-2007, 06:21 AM
I haved lived in Texas over 30 years and it is not even close! High school football is crazy here. Just go to Southlake Carroll for one of their games. They had over 30,000 for a game earlier this year.
Rick Barnes of Texas can't even get his place full for conference games and they have a very good program.

lothar98zag
10-08-2007, 10:21 AM

1. College Football
2. Football Recruiting
4. High School Football
5. College Basketball

The impression I get, for the state as a whole, is that HS Football would be #1 on the list.

(and college basketball is probably be lower on the list, behind the NFL (Cowboys) and some other football related items, like Spring College Football...)

TexasZagFan
10-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Y'all need to make a trip down to Texas, but I warn you:

You just might not want to leave! IMO, Texas has the friendliest, most down-to-earth people I've ever known, and the women are simply amazing. The summers are a be-yotch (June through September), but the rest of the year makes up for it.

I have learned through personal experience, that many young women undergo a metamorphosis when they move here from other locales. For the first few weeks, they display umbrage at having doors opened for them by Texas men, and recoil at the thought of making themselves presentable whenever they go out in public.

It isn't long before they realize that Texas men are treating them with kindness and respect, and like the idea that guys always pay on dates.

Before you know it, they become naturalized Texans and...

VOTE REPUBLICAN!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Symi81
10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
^^^ the previous post almost made me throw-up allover my Mac. Possibly one of the worst posts ever. I shouldnt even take the time to acknowledge it by replying...but I must

UberZagFan
10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
like Spring College Football...)

Hehehe. Yes, there is College Football and then Spring Football. Though it's native to Texas, it's not exclusive. Last Spring, OSU had 80K plus at its spring game.

TZF: shame on you bringing OCC material into the Hoops forum. You don't see the Uber bringing Foo material in here, do you?

TexasZagFan
10-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Hehehe. Yes, there is College Football and then Spring Football. Though it's native to Texas, it's not exclusive. Last Spring, OSU had 80K plus at its spring game.

TZF: shame on you bringing OCC material into the Hoops forum. You don't see the Uber bringing Foo material in here, do you?

Uber, I didn't start this thread...the Great and Glorious BobZag started it. I'm kinda/sorta guilty of negligent thread-hijacking, but the thread is about Texas.

In case you haven't noticed, the OCC is on life support. There's more activity in an old folks home than there is on the OCC. Please be advised I said absolutely nothing about the "Whack-a-Mole" brigades...oops! :o

I'd say more, but I can't...I'm still :lmao: over Symi's post.

bulldogshawn
10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
And years ago I read "Friday Night Lights".

This was also the title of a great movie and a great TV show (2nd season started last week I think). You should check it out Bob, you'll get an answer to your OP!