PDA

View Full Version : The Book Bravehearts!!! Similarities????????????

demian
03-20-2016, 01:15 AM
I remember reading the book Bravehearts many years ago. It is obviously the book about Gonzaga rise to prominence in college hoops. If I am not mistaken I think the book just chronicled the years prior to Morrison. possibly even prior to Turiaf actually. But one thing I really remember from that book was when the writer wrote about the 1999 team, that team had a real WEIRD regular season. Was not actually having a GREAT season. here was there out of conference games and results that season =

Lost at kansas
Won at Memphis
Lost at Purdue
Win vs Wazzu
Lost vs detroit mercy
Win vs UW huskies
Win vs Texas Rio Grand Valley AT THE BUZZER IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY
Lost TCU

They finished 28-7

Right now we are sitting at 28-7 EXACTLY.

That was a real tough as hell group of kids with some real athletic and nasty guards. Q HAll of course was as feisty as there is (perkins??), Santangelo and Frahm were legit and both REAL ATHLETIC as are MClellan and Dranginis. Frahm and Santangelo were only juniors though I think. We had a foreigner in Dench ( Sabonis, foreigner but way better), Eaton was a tall skinny post (Wiltjer??, but wiltjer is obviously better), lanky skinny kid off bench who was a pest on defense etc etc was mark spink (Silas Melson??, But Melson is better). I know I am reaching and simply just having fun but man what a fun team this last month

ChicagoZag
03-20-2016, 06:04 AM
I don't think your reaching at all.

For us old timers, that is why this year has started to really be special. 1999 was an absolutely joyous journey. Even after the loss to Connecticut, we were bursting with pride at the effort of that team. I am getting the same vibe from this squad.

It's not like other years the teams haven't had that effort, its just that unlike most of the others, outside of the Gonzaga community (and even inside), no one saw it coming.

The regular season struggles and the seeding have a lot of similarities.

I remember the 1999 team having so much fun with the media demands. That team absolutely owned the press conference. In contrast, this team will forever have HBO's "March to Madness" that I swear captured the moments where this team found itself after the SMC loss on Senior night. Both showed a tremendous brotherhood. This year's team may have been a little more introverted, which might have led to the questions of who were the leaders of this team (all captured on the documentary). To be honest, I still don't know, but they certainly show a cohesiveness that is wonderful to watch.

MJ777
03-20-2016, 06:57 AM
The 99 team had great upperclassmen leaders and a tough as nails Sophomore Big man named Calvary. I see some similarities.

GoZags
03-20-2016, 06:58 AM
I remember reading the book Bravehearts many years ago. It is obviously the book about Gonzaga rise to prominence in college hoops. If I am not mistaken I think the book just chronicled the years prior to Morrison. possibly even prior to Turiaf actually. But one thing I really remember from that book was when the writer wrote about the 1999 team, that team had a real WEIRD regular season. Was not actually having a GREAT season. here was there out of conference games and results that season =

Lost at kansas
Won at Memphis
Lost at Purdue
Win vs Wazzu
Lost vs detroit mercy
Win vs UW huskies
Win vs Texas Rio Grand Valley AT THE BUZZER IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY
Lost TCU

They finished 28-7

Right now we are sitting at 28-7 EXACTLY.

That was a real tough as hell group of kids with some real athletic and nasty guards. Q HAll of course was as feisty as there is (perkins??), Santangelo and Frahm were legit and both REAL ATHLETIC as are MClellan and Dranginis. Frahm and Santangelo were only juniors though I think. We had a foreigner in Dench ( Sabonis, foreigner but way better), Eaton was a tall skinny post (Wiltjer??, but wiltjer is obviously better), lanky skinny kid off bench who was a pest on defense etc etc was mark spink (Silas Melson??, But Melson is better). I know I am reaching and simply just having fun but man what a fun team this last month

Check out the 2nd to last quote (from the archives) attached below .... it's Mark Few on Gonzaga's 99 squad.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?45364-Selected-quotes-from-the-archives&highlight=archives

. "Everyone remembers our charmed little run. They don't remember losing at TCU or at San Diego or hitting a three-pointer at the buzzer to beat Texas-Pan American. Nobody remembers that game." Few12/99

"demian" remembers. I remember (as do a host of other "oldtimers")

Great post demian .... nicely done. And ... to quote the Kennel Club at the end of the disappointing "Senior Nite" ... "It's not over .... it's not over". And .... to quote our beloved late Father Tony .... "To be continued ..."

CdAZagFan
03-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Demian... Thanks! I think you tapped into why this is becoming one of my all-time favorite Zags team - it's because of some of those similarities with the "magic" of that season.

rennis
03-20-2016, 10:16 AM
I listened to that Texas PanAm game on the radio. It was early January, I think our last OOC game. Santangelo saved our bacon in that game. He did that a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vanzagger
03-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Mark Spink was awesome. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Have not heard his name brought up in a while

Zags11
03-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Check out the 2nd to last quote (from the archives) attached below .... it's Mark Few on Gonzaga's 99 squad.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?45364-Selected-quotes-from-the-archives&highlight=archives

"demian" remembers. I remember (as do a host of other "oldtimers")

Great post demian .... nicely done. And ... to quote the Kennel Club at the end of the disappointing "Senior Nite" ... "It's not over .... it's not over". And .... to quote our beloved late Father Tony .... "To be continued ..."

100%

Zags11
03-20-2016, 11:08 AM
I listened to that Texas PanAm game on the radio. It was early January, I think our last OOC game. Santangelo saved our bacon in that game. He did that a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep I was listening too with my father and brother.

Zags11
03-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Mark Spink was awesome. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Have not heard his name brought up in a while

The pre mike hart. The pre pendo.

Zagceo
03-20-2016, 03:11 PM
I listened to that Texas PanAm game on the radio. It was early January, I think our last OOC game. Santangelo saved our bacon in that game. He did that a lot. HD

.......no video clips ever surfaced from that non televised game. You're the first I've heard from that even listened to it.

The game that could have changed history.:clap:

DixieZag
03-20-2016, 03:22 PM
When I tried to think of another Zag team peaking at this point in March, '99 was the only squad that I thought could compare.

dazags
03-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Great post demian! I was just thinking of some of the similarities from that '99 team this morning. Go Zags!