PDA

View Full Version : From the BYU board

sittingon50
03-19-2016, 07:28 PM
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=15629859

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=15629713

former1dog
03-19-2016, 07:33 PM
The only thing I don't like about our boys kicking the Utes butt is that it makes BYU people happy.

SWZag
03-19-2016, 07:34 PM
The only thing I don't like about our boys kicking the Utes butt is that it makes BYU people happy.

lol

Outraged
03-19-2016, 07:39 PM
I think byu is the better team. At least when they play us. Much more energy than Utah and more crafty.

Coach Crazy
03-19-2016, 07:42 PM
I feel dirty enjoying a victory with BYU fans.

23dpg
03-19-2016, 07:45 PM
I love it.
Totally rooting for BYU and SMC in the NIT.

ZagsObserver
03-19-2016, 07:49 PM
I enjoy the byu fans. Passionate fan base, which makes for a good following. I know GU has great respect for both their game AND the players as people. Why shouldn't we?

ldszagfan
03-19-2016, 07:54 PM
I love it.
Totally rooting for BYU and SMC in the NIT.

+1 I never understand why some of us root against fellow conference mates when we're not playing them. I say bring on the praise and thank you very much!

former1dog
03-19-2016, 07:54 PM
I enjoy the byu fans. Passionate fan base, which makes for a good following. I know GU has great respect for both their game AND the players as people. Why shouldn't we?

Fans of BYU are perfectly nice and normal outside of the game atmosphere. Complete ####ing ####oles during the game.

I've been to a lot of GU's away games over a lot of years. BYU fans are the worst and it's not even close.

Coach Crazy
03-19-2016, 07:57 PM
+1 I never understand why some of us root against fellow conference mates when we're not playing them. I say bring on the praise and thank you very much!

Bro, it's not so much that. Having lived in Provo for a while...ugh...BYU fans are hard to talk sports with.

JPtheBeasta
03-19-2016, 08:02 PM
I feel dirty enjoying a victory with BYU fans.

+1

ZagsObserver
03-19-2016, 08:02 PM
...Wiltjer even said that it's hard to call BYU a rival when their players are nice, good guys.

Jstock12
03-19-2016, 08:14 PM
+1

+2 http://i.imgur.com/eI0R3nC.png

bartruff1
03-19-2016, 08:23 PM
I really enjoy watching them play and it is a shame they and the Gaels are not in the NCAA....but I will be rooting for them to get to MSG....WCC rules..

ZagaZags
03-19-2016, 08:28 PM

It's about time they earn some money for the WCC. ;)

sittingon50
03-19-2016, 08:38 PM
It's about time they earn some money for the WCC. ;)

Shout out to TZF: Zags advance; I'm thinking usf may now be able to afford to put water in that pool!

MTZag03
03-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Don't really know where else to post this: SMC and BYU were both far tougher teams than anything GU has seen so far. Wish they both were here.

jim77
03-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Don't really know where else to post this: SMC and BYU were both far tougher teams than anything GU has seen so far. Wish they both were here.

They are.....BOTH SMC and BYU have really high BB IQ's....Hopefully they can BOTH make it to MSG.

Mantua
03-19-2016, 09:09 PM

No kidding! The WCC needs to win the NIT. I've got the recordings set for St. Mary's and BYU.

The PAC 12 hype needs to stop.

jim77
03-19-2016, 09:14 PM
No kidding! The WCC needs to win the NIT. I've got the recordings set for St. Mary's and BYU.

The PAC 12 hype needs to stop.
I watched the BYU - VT game...that Cougar crowd was redonkulous!

DixieZag
03-19-2016, 09:18 PM
I read somewhere that the WCC is not 5-0 if counting only the NCAA and NIT (Pepp lost in the CBI to Eastern).

I would really like to see BYU and SMC in MSG - this conference needs all the attention it can get. Right now, the country is noticing how well we're playing and it should be noted that SMC beat us twice and then played us tougher than the big bad Big East team and then the big Bad Pac 7 big 2 win league. BYU beat us on our own court and played us tougher than any team in the WCC tournament (one 3pt shot away from tying it) than SMC or anyone in the NCAA tournament.

It should be noted and I hope they get to MSG where someone can note it.

U-Hi_Grad_for_BYU
03-19-2016, 09:50 PM
I don't know how you all are feeling about BYU these days, but I can tell you that BYU fans all over the world love the Bulldogs tonight!

Congrats and keep winning! We love having a conference foe that we can respect and cheer for.

jim77
03-19-2016, 09:54 PM
I'll be tuning in Tuesday...GET TO THE GARDEN! Collinsworth Rocks!

zagamatic
03-19-2016, 09:58 PM
I gotta say that the BYU game last night was just a great game to watch and congrats to you guys! Now let's see if all 3 WCC teams can get to a final 4

BYU-Fan
03-19-2016, 10:19 PM
You guys played such a great game tonight! Besides the scoreboard, I think the best stat was rebounds: 34 for the Zags and only 24 for Utah. Also, limiting Poeltl to only 5 points...fantastic game strategy.

Congratulations on a job well done! Best of luck in your next game!

Go Cougs and Go Zags!

ZagaZags
03-19-2016, 10:21 PM
You guys played such a great game tonight! Besides the scoreboard, I think the best stat was rebounds: 34 for the Zags and only 24 for Utah. Also, limiting Poeltl to only 5 points...fantastic game strategy.

Congratulations on a job well done! Best of luck in your next game!

Go Cougs and Go Zags!

Thanks, best of luck to BYU in your next game. I will hate you guys again 2-3 times next season.

BYU-Fan
03-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks.

Hopefully the "hate" only lasts during the game, cause we both want to win. After the games, I've got nothin but love for the Zags.

ZagaZags
03-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Thanks.

Hopefully the "hate" only lasts during the game, cause we both want to win. After the games, I've got nothin but love for the Zags.

Game days only. :cheers:

Edit:
Oops, that was a decaffeinated soda cheers.

seacatfan
03-19-2016, 10:48 PM
Might need to reign it in just a tiny bit folks. SMC barely beat a less than mediocre New Mexico St. in Moraga. BYU barely beat a Virginia Tech that is one of those middle of the pack power conference teams many are always railing against, in Provo. Those performances don't give any reason to think that either SMC or BYU would've advanced very far, or at all, if they had gotten in the NCAA Tourney.

Ekrub
03-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Might need to reign it in just a tiny bit folks. SMC barely beat a less than mediocre New Mexico St. in Moraga. BYU barely beat a Virginia Tech that is one of those middle of the pack power conference teams many are always railing against, in Provo. Those performances don't give any reason to think that either SMC or BYU would've advanced very far, or at all, if they had gotten in the NCAA Tourney.

SMC belonged, their wins vs us were discounted since the loss put us in the top 50 rpi. That's the kind of excuse making that helps perpetuate the idea the committee is biased towards the P5. Never heard them discount other teams wins like that.

ZagaZags
03-19-2016, 10:54 PM
I hope Saint Mary's wears mouthguards tomorrow.

maynard g krebs
03-19-2016, 11:02 PM

SMC looked really uninspired v NMSU. Let down from not getting an at large. They would have beaten that team by 30 at home in December. I still think they are likely to have won a first round game, and had a shot at the 16 w/ the right matchup. BYU, not so much. Don't think they deserved an at large, but SMC did.

ZagaZags
03-19-2016, 11:05 PM
SMC looked really uninspired v NMSU. Let down from not getting an at large. They would have beaten that team by 30 at home in December. I still think they are likely to have won a first round game, and had a shot at the 16 w/ the right matchup. BYU, not so much. Don't think they deserved an at large, but SMC did.

The empty seats seemed really uninspired too. If Gonzaga hosted an NIT game, it would be sold out.

GUZag08
03-19-2016, 11:54 PM
That's just class right there.

Like Fraschilla and Wiltjer have said its hard to hate BYU because Cougars are just so good natured.

I love Collinsworth, I think he's gonna play in the pros. Delly plays in the pros, I think "All-time leading triple doubler" will get a look.

I'll always root for the Cougs.

And the Wazzu Cougs. But that's a far more dire situation.

hoopaddict
03-20-2016, 05:58 AM
I agree to a degree. I think SMC should have received an at large based on their numbers. Once a team gets there, who knows? After watching both the BYU and SMC games live in the arena this year, I would never have predicted we'd be a sweet sixteen team in a month. I know, I know, ye of little faith.

Zaggy
03-20-2016, 07:46 AM
I do take issue with everyone saying how good natured the Cougs are. When BYU played the Utes this year, Emery sucker punched Taylor (and told him to stay down b!tch). He also didn't get suspended until the WCC stepped in and gave him a suspension. I'd say most BYU fans (and players) are classy, but the ones who aren't are real nasty. And their good nature also goes away when a big Zag contingent shows up in Provo. It's always fun getting hassled by the campus security doing sobriety checks (particularly when you're 100% sober).

Cougs84
03-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Don't pay too much attention to Cougarboard when they are insane, but this is what BYU fans everywhere have been thinking since y'all beat the Yewts senseless. Good work, and we're happy to be in "your conference."

raise the zag
03-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Game days only. :cheers:

Edit:
Oops, that was a decaffeinated soda cheers.

side-note and digression (apologies ahead of time):

to the comment above. I have several devout Mormon friends in numerous states, most of them completed Missions, committed, and attend service daily i.e. engaged mormons.

All of them, but one drink caffeinated soda every time I'm with them. Dr Pepper, Diet Coke, Pepsi, etc.

I don't mention anything, but a small part of me wonders…maybe their religion has relaxed on this issue?

Carry on...

Dogtownkid
03-20-2016, 09:17 AM
I just have to throw this in. My experience with Mormon kids when I was teaching high school in California was very positive. Great kids! It sound like that quality is usually apparent in GU/BYU exchanges.

The comments from Cougars on this board really bear that out.

sylean
03-20-2016, 10:21 AM
the women's BYU team also plays very nasty...three times they sent one of our players to the floor with flagrant fouls, but they always seem to smile and get away with it...

ProVeeZag
03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
The empty seats seemed really uninspired too. If Gonzaga hosted an NIT game, it would be sold out.

Yeah, I noticed the sparse attendance in Moraga also. Curious to see if they can fill it up a bit this Sunday afternoon. I'm guessin' not...

Zag365
03-20-2016, 10:51 AM

Agree completely. I think the sentiment is widespread. It is well-documented that social media (like this Board) tends to attract the boo birds and posting of negative comments disproportionate to the audience as a whole.

SMC and now BYU are rivalry games for Zags within conference (which is a good thing). So, we are going to be fierce competitors during the conference season. But, at the end of the season, it is good for WCC to have three teams that are legit contenders for spots in NCAA tourney every year in recent years. So, whether our conference bro's make it to the NCAA or NIT or CBI, I'm rooting for them to advance and survive. Let's grow this league! (And, I agree BYU and SMC are classy programs/fans that represent the WCC well. There are always a few idiots in everyone's fan base.)

Zags_Fanatic
03-20-2016, 11:08 AM
side-note and digression (apologies ahead of time):

to the comment above. I have several devout Mormon friends in numerous states, most of them completed Missions, committed, and attend service daily i.e. engaged mormons.

All of them, but one drink caffeinated soda every time I'm with them. Dr Pepper, Diet Coke, Pepsi, etc.

I don't mention anything, but a small part of me wonders…maybe their religion has relaxed on this issue?

Carry on...

The LDS church has officially come out and said that caffeinated sodas are not against church rules. Truth is they never officially were but a lot of members wanted to go above and beyond because of the restrictions on coffee and certain kinds of tea.

bartruff1
03-20-2016, 12:34 PM
As I recall the first people I heard express the opinion that both BYU and the Gaels should be in the NCAA Tourney were the broadcast crew at the WCC Tourney....

Of course that is just their opinion, but then I heard Coach Few turn it up and express the same opinion.....so I think I will share that opinion since he probably knows as much about the subject as anyone else...