PDA

View Full Version : Chicago: Which Opponents Do You Want, and Why?

TravelinZag
03-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Match ups are probably more important than stats, seeds, analytics, etc. Which do you think favor the Zags?

Ekrub
03-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Match ups are probably more important than stats, seeds, analytics, etc. Which do you think favor the Zags?

Mtsu obviously. Cuse is down, but long and still dangerous.

23dpg
03-19-2016, 08:25 PM
Honestly. Don't. Care.

This is about us, not them.

gonzagafan62
03-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Neither would be easy to beat.

SWZag
Middle Tennessee. I hate Syracuse's Defense. We have problems with it.

LongIslandZagFan
Don't care... keep sawing wood.

But, I will say, I have a hatred for Jimmy Boeheim... so I part of me would love to put them out of the tourney.

CdAZagFan
Hate to say it, but with this team it may have been even better to have Michigan State standing in the way. Think about the ramifications of GU beating Michigan State. That being said, I only saw Middle Tennesee State play once (yesterday) and was impressed with their athleticism. Syracuse is going to zone probably more than any team GU's faced. Not sure how we will respond to that...

MTZag03
03-19-2016, 08:28 PM
MTSU. They shoot 3's. We stop people from shooting 3's.

gueastcoast
03-19-2016, 08:33 PM
What LIZF said. That round of 32 loss a few years ago still stings too.

uZiGiZaG
03-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Having to play Syracuse would be a disaster

And that's exactly who will play

I can already see us having an "off shooting night" against that zone and getting manhandled by the physicality down low like the last time we played them in March

They aren't great, but they are sneaky good and we haven't played a zone like that in a long time

CDC84
03-19-2016, 08:38 PM
If GU is fortunate enough to get to the elite 8, I hope that UVA and ISU go to triple overtime.

DixieZag
03-19-2016, 08:39 PM
I can't see us playing MTSU - lighting striking 2x? But, I don't think any team is going to really phase us the way we're playing right now, I really don't. Yes, Syracuse Zone is tough, but they have to score on us, too.

Coach Crazy
03-19-2016, 08:40 PM
I actually think we have the post game to work that Boeheim Zone, this year. And if Wilt is on from deep, then it won't matter.

ProjectMKUltra5
03-19-2016, 08:43 PM
MTSU. They shoot 3's. We stop people from shooting 3's.

This.

I don't think it matters though, this team is on a roll and that's definitely not the Syracuse of old so I don't think we'll have a problem either way

Bocco
03-19-2016, 08:45 PM

But, I will say, I have a hatred for Jimmy Boeheim... so I part of me would love to put them out of the tourney.

you're not the only one

Outraged
03-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Let us wear the dark jersey's. No favors please. Anything else is an insult.

jpn17
03-19-2016, 08:48 PM
I can't claim to know much about either team. What I do know is if Gonzaga keeps playing like they have been they are going to be damn tough to beat. I personally would rather see Gonzaga beat Syracuse than Middle Tennessee. But in reality I don't have much of a preference. Bring on either team!

ConnZag3
03-19-2016, 08:53 PM
We should have gotten a shot at Syracuse in the Bahamas so might as well bring them on now in March. Games mean more now than in November :)

vandalzag
03-19-2016, 08:55 PM
MTSU just because the cuse should not have been in the tourney. But if the zags to play the Cuse beat them by 40 just to put an exclamation point on it.

VinnyZag
03-19-2016, 09:03 PM
Syracuse lost 4 out of 5 before beating Dayton yesterday. They lost this season to St. John's, for crying out loud.

This AIN'T the Cuse team that spanked the Zags in '11* or whichever year that was. Zags would be a significant favorite. Maybe a bigger favorite then over MTSU.

* it was 2010

GeorgiaZagFan
03-19-2016, 09:23 PM

...I don't care, but can we move the games to Denver?

If Gonzaga plays like they did in the 2nd half it won't matter. I really thought they didn't play that great against Seton Hall, just the Pirates played worse...but the Zags defense was stellar against Utah, and as they say, good defense rarely slumps!!

GeorgiaZagFan
03-19-2016, 09:28 PM
..I remember that one, played in Buffalo and I think half the Syracuse players walked to the game....

amaronizag
03-19-2016, 09:31 PM
NOBODY should be fooled by Syracuse's record, they play really really tough teams all year. They are BIG and would be a huge handful. However, if we come out shooting, they can't stay with us. Our defense is pretty good too. Would be an epic battle.....that we very well could win.

jpn17
03-19-2016, 10:09 PM
NOBODY should be fooled by Syracuse's record, they play really really tough teams all year. They are BIG and would be a huge handful. However, if we come out shooting, they can't stay with us. Our defense is pretty good too. Would be an epic battle.....that we very well could win.

Taking a quick glance at Syracuse's schedule, they played good teams yes, but they didn't beat a whole lot of them. They did get A&M and UConn at the start of the year, I'll give them credit for that. However they also had OOC losses to Georgetown and St. John's. But their 9-9 record in ACC play is telling. 7 of those came against: BC (2), Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Florida State and NC State. They did get Duke at Cameron Indoor (that is a nice win) and Notre Dame at home. What this tells me is that Syracuse has talent, but is inconsistent. They are good enough to beat the bottom of the conference, but rarely win against the top. And even then, neither Duke nor Notre Dame were ACC elite this season. This is not a typical Syracuse team and Gonzaga is a better team. Obviously nothing is guaranteed in the tournament, but if Gonzaga and Syracuse do play, I believe Gonzaga will win.

jim77
03-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Don't want the CUSE..ZONE DEFENSE..neither will be easy.

MJ777
03-19-2016, 11:29 PM
It's one game and the Cuse or MTSU could have a hot shooting night and the Zags could be in foul trouble and have an off night. Of course if they play like they did tonight I like their chances against either. I guess I prefer to be the underdog playing against the better seeded team Syracuse. The ACC is very good this year based on their overall tournament record. A week to prepare for the zone should be plenty though.

ZagaZags
03-19-2016, 11:39 PM
MTSU would be my choice. On the other hand, it would be nice to beat the Battle 4 Atlantis Champion. It might be destiny.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3md-aatlSrc/T5crF7SuoiI/AAAAAAAAAEI/iHQH7At511k/s1600/fate-and-destiny.jpg

Zagceo
03-19-2016, 11:46 PM

^yes^ ....

seacatfan
03-19-2016, 11:58 PM
If Middle Tennessee plays like they did against Michigan St., they could probably beat anybody. Odds of them continuing to play at that level for several more games is EXTREMELY LOW. If they had played like that all year they would've been undefeated, not 25-9. Agree that Syracuse is not great this year, but that zone D can be problematic. I've seen them take out teams in the Tourney that should've beat them more than once or twice (Indiana a few years ago when the Hoosiers were loaded and the favorites to win it all comes to mind).

zagamatic
03-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Revenge on Syracuse would be gravy. But regardless of who we play, I just want to see the same aggressive, defense minded, freewheeling Zags that we've been seeing since Provo. THIS VERSION of this year's team has been an absolute blast to watch! These guys are having fun and that makes for a memorable March. (And hopefully April)

rawkmandale
03-20-2016, 02:55 AM
Revenge on Syracuse would be gravy. But regardless of who we play, I just want to see the same aggressive, defense minded, freewheeling Zags that we've been seeing since Provo. THIS VERSION of this year's team has been an absolute blast to watch! These guys are having fun and that makes for a memorable March. (And hopefully April)

Well spoken

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-20-2016, 03:42 AM
It is going to be Gonzaga vs Syracuse Sweet 16 Chicago because MTSU's whole offense is predicated on spreading out the defense, pulling their posts way out of the paint then driving to the hoop and knocking down open 3's. Hard to do that against a zone, unless they are shooting from deeeep, and nobody plays zone as good as Syracuse.

Best thing is Zags have a week to practice and prep for the 2-3 zone of Syracuse. Really really tough to beat 'Cuse in the 2nd game of a tournament weekend with just a one day turnaround to prep.

Let's go Zags. Just focus on yourselves, trust the process and play your game in Chicago!!!!