PDA

View Full Version : National exposure

Zag365
03-18-2016, 09:48 AM
I believe the GU/SHU game was "the" game nationally in its time slot last night. Although played late in ET zone, I bet SHU being one of the teams drew a decent East Coast viewership. Would be interesting to see viewer stats if anyone knows how to find.

Another benefit is that most of the country doesn't know this Zags team (other than, once again, they got in the tourney). Thus it was very consequential that it turned out to be another great Zag little guy takes down big guy story (I'm talking from national perspective here -- as an example all four of the pre-game panel on TruTV quickly agreed that SHU would no doubt win because "they have great guards and teams with great guards are a lock in NCAA Tourney games"). Our national identity/character/perception got reinforced once again.

It was also great national exposure for Sabonis. He showed he was literally and figuratively head-and-shoulders above most college players (even those on good teams). The announcers picked up on it all night. ESPN played highlight clips of his performance last night and today. And, even Jay Bilas on the ESPN Mike-and-Mike show this a.m. was talking about Sabonis. He's now clearly on the national radar of the media and MBB fans.

I gotta believe the tournament committee was delighted to see how the geography and records of Utah and Gonzaga made it a natural to put those two teams in the same first-round Regional bracket. Now they have a made-for-TV match-up of Sabonis/Poeltl. I really liked Domas' two comments in the post-game last night: (1) when asked to comment on being hacked all night by SHU's physical play, Domas acknowledged it was true and then said something to the effect of "I enjoy playing in that kind of situation" and (2) when asked about playing Poeltl, his calm expression didn't change a bit when he said, "Yeah, he's good; I've played against him before." Sounds like Sabonis is up for the challenge.

Alum08
03-18-2016, 09:52 AM
I believe the GU/SHU game was "the" game nationally in its time slot last night. Although played late in ET zone, I bet SHU being one of the teams drew a decent East Coast viewership. Would be interesting to see viewer stats if anyone knows how to find.

Another benefit is that most of the country doesn't know this Zags team (other than, once again, they got in the tourney). Thus it was very consequential that it turned out to be another great Zag little guy takes down big guy story (I'm talking from national perspective here -- as an example all four of the pre-game panel on TruTV quickly agreed that SHU would no doubt win because "they have great guards and teams with great guards are a lock in NCAA Tourney games"). Our national identity/character/perception got reinforced once again.

It was also great national exposure for Sabonis. He showed he was literally and figuratively head-and-shoulders above most college players (even those on good teams). The announcers picked up on it all night. ESPN played highlight clips of his performance last night and today. And, even Jay Bilas on the ESPN Mike-and-Mike show this a.m. was talking about Sabonis. He's now clearly on the national radar of the media and MBB fans.

I gotta believe the tournament committee was delighted to see how the geography and records of Utah and Gonzaga made it a natural to put those two teams in the same first-round Regional bracket. Now they have a made-for-TV match-up of Sabonis/Poeltl. I really liked Domas' two comments in the post-game last night: (1) when asked to comment on being hacked all night by SHU's physical play, Domas acknowledged it was true and then said something to the effect of "I enjoy playing in that kind of situation" and (2) when asked about playing Poeltl, his calm expression didn't change a bit when he said, "Yeah, he's good; I've played against him before." Sounds like Sabonis is up for the challenge.

Hate to bust your hypothesis, but aside from the SHU fans, the east coast was asleep like usual. The fact that it was on TruTV makes it even less likely that it was 'accidentally' on at the bar for St. Paddy's Day.

How many times have you stayed up past 1AM to watch a sporting event? For most people, it just isn't an option, especially midweek.

Zag365
03-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Hate to bust your hypothesis, but aside from the SHU fans, the east coast was asleep like usual. The fact that it was on TruTV makes it even less likely that it was 'accidentally' on at the bar for St. Paddy's Day.

How many times have you stayed up past 1AM to watch a sporting event? For most people, it just isn't an option, especially midweek.

Sounds like we are both speculating. I have no illusion that we eclipsed prime time viewership. I qualified by saying "in its time slot." Anyone have actual numbers?

hallfan
03-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Eh, idk about that. With the delayed start time, it ended up starting around 11PM ET. Being on a Thursday night, that meant most of the eastern and even central time zones were asleep. I really don't understand why they couldn't have swapped this start time with the Utah-Fresno game. It would have made far more sense to have 2 west coast teams in the last game of the day and it would've let SHU fans watch their team and still get to bed at a reasonable hour (though in hindsight maybe they were better off not watching). Plus (though its a poor excuse for the performance since they had 3 days in Denver to adjust to the time difference), it would've had all 4 teams in the session playing at a reasonable hour instead giving one team 11PM their time.

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Eh, idk about that. With the delayed start time, it ended up starting around 11PM ET. Being on a Thursday night, that meant most of the eastern and even central time zones were asleep. I really don't understand why they couldn't have swapped this start time with the Utah-Fresno game. It would have made far more sense to have 2 west coast teams in the last game of the day and it would've let SHU fans watch their team and still get to bed at a reasonable hour (though in hindsight maybe they were better off not watching). Plus (though its a poor excuse for the performance since they had 3 days in Denver to adjust to the time difference), it would've had all 4 teams in the session playing at a reasonable hour instead giving one team 11PM their time.

Ultimately... 3 seed. Utah was the 3 seed, so it got preferential exposure.

Alum08
03-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Sounds like we are both speculating. I have no illusion that we eclipsed prime time viewership. I qualified by saying "in its time slot." Anyone have actual numbers?

I'm not completely speculating, I'm currently an east coaster myself. The idea of staying up until 1AM to watch a basketball game that you have no affiliation with is sort of a ludicrous expectation. We still have to be at work at 8AM.

Zagger
03-18-2016, 10:05 AM

In that regard ..... maybe we'll get another East Coast team to play yet this year???? And they'll undervalue us too (if that indeed was a factor).
Utah will be a thoroughly tough test. If we can get past them ......
Sabonis is just plain fearless and that rubs off on all the other Zags. I hope a good part of the Dance jitters are gone from the Zags now and they can really keep a handle on the ball. It's going to take low TOs and excellent FT shooting to keep rolling. I really like our chances on Saturday! Go Zags!

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
In that regard ..... maybe we'll get another East Coast team to play yet this year???? And they'll undervalue us too (if that indeed was a factor).
Sabonis is just plain fearless and that rubs off on all the other Zags. I hope a good part of the Dance jitters are gone from the Zags now and they can really keep a handle on the ball. It's going to take low TOs and excellent FT shooting to keep rolling. I really like our chances on Saturday! Go Zags!

MSU, Dayton, Syracuse... those are all eastern teams... keep sawing wood and they'll get to face them.

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Maybe the masses didn't catch the Zags, but BB writers, commentators and analysts certainly did. That can only help us on down the line.

hallfan
03-18-2016, 10:12 AM

I don't believe undervaluing you guys was a factor at all. The Seton Hall guys know who you guys are and just how good you guys are, and they didn't lack for effort at all. I'd say the main factors in their performance last night were nerves and frustration, as evidenced by a T, a flagrant, 38% from the free throw line, and stepping in bounds before inbounding the ball.

mgadfly
03-18-2016, 10:43 AM
I don't believe undervaluing you guys was a factor at all. The Seton Hall guys know who you guys are and just how good you guys are, and they didn't lack for effort at all. I'd say the main factors in their performance last night were nerves and frustration, as evidenced by a T, a flagrant, 38% from the free throw line, and stepping in bounds before inbounding the ball.

I would only disagree to the extent that Seton Hall didn't cover Wiltjer on the first play of the game (that wouldn't happen against the lowliest of WCC competition as they have an extreme amount of respect for Wiltjer's shooting) and then didn't double the post for at least half the game. Sabonis has usually been triple or quadruple teamed on the post, with an opponent's fan occasionally stepping out to hit him with a folding chair, but when the double didn't come the first time on the block last night I thought, uh-oh, no respect for Sabonis, that's a mistake. Sabonis had one of his worst shooting games of the season missing shots he routinely makes. He could have easily had 30 or 35 against that game plan.

I don't know who you guys have coming in next season, but I'm going to be in Orlando for that tournament. It'd be awesome to see these two teams go at it again, especially if IW and DS are back for each team.

hallfan
03-18-2016, 11:05 AM
I would only disagree to the extent that Seton Hall didn't cover Wiltjer on the first play of the game (that wouldn't happen against the lowliest of WCC competition as they have an extreme amount of respect for Wiltjer's shooting) and then didn't double the post for at least half the game. Sabonis has usually been triple or quadruple teamed on the post, with an opponent's fan occasionally stepping out to hit him with a folding chair, but when the double didn't come the first time on the block last night I thought, uh-oh, no respect for Sabonis, that's a mistake. Sabonis had one of his worst shooting games of the season missing shots he routinely makes. He could have easily had 30 or 35 against that game plan.

I don't know who you guys have coming in next season, but I'm going to be in Orlando for that tournament. It'd be awesome to see these two teams go at it again, especially if IW and DS are back for each team.

I missed the first couple minutes, so I can't comment on the first play. Could it have just been a blown assignment? And as for not doubling Sabonis, I imagine the thinking was he's gonna get his and there isn't much they're gonna do about it. Just hope Delgado can slow him down a little despite the size disadvantage and focus on winning at the other 4 positions. And I really don't think the defensive game plan was that bad. They lost the game on the offensive end, where they settled for (and missed) far too many quick threes.

mgadfly
03-18-2016, 12:17 PM
I missed the first couple minutes, so I can't comment on the first play. Could it have just been a blown assignment? And as for not doubling Sabonis, I imagine the thinking was he's gonna get his and there isn't much they're gonna do about it. Just hope Delgado can slow him down a little despite the size disadvantage and focus on winning at the other 4 positions. And I really don't think the defensive game plan was that bad. They lost the game on the offensive end, where they settled for (and missed) far too many quick threes.

It was definitely a blown assignment in the zone. And I don't disagree that they lost the game on the offensive end, but it was a dangerous game plan not to double Sabonis and I think some that haven't watched Sabonis this year don't understand that 9 for 19 was his 25th best shooting game this year (and he missed a lot of shots that he usually makes). My point is only that if I was told a team was going to challenge Wiltjer to shoot over the zone and not double Sabonis on the block (and that was their game plan), I'd be pretty ecstatic that they were letting us play to our strengths. GU was pretty miserable too last night and Seton Hall got out of that zone real quick, and of course you're right it was lost by bad shots and possessions by Seton Hall.

hallfan
03-18-2016, 12:48 PM
It was definitely a blown assignment in the zone. And I don't disagree that they lost the game on the offensive end, but it was a dangerous game plan not to double Sabonis and I think some that haven't watched Sabonis this year don't understand that 9 for 19 was his 25th best shooting game this year (and he missed a lot of shots that he usually makes). My point is only that if I was told a team was going to challenge Wiltjer to shoot over the zone and not double Sabonis on the block (and that was their game plan), I'd be pretty ecstatic that they were letting us play to our strengths. GU was pretty miserable too last night and Seton Hall got out of that zone real quick, and of course you're right it was lost by bad shots and possessions by Seton Hall.

It's kind of a pick you poison with Sabonis. You put one guy on him and risk him having a field day or you double him and risk getting buried by 3s. I think a big part of the decision was their respect for his ability to pass out of the double-team and GU's ability to hit the three. Delgado's undersized for a big man, but he can still play. And after he twice had his way with Marquette's 1 and done lottery pick big man, Henry Ellenson, I think they were hoping he could at least disrupt/slow down Sabonis by himself.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2016, 12:53 PM
looked like SH d plan changed second half, came out doubling Domas and not KW, opposite of first half, and Zags recognized that and KW made some plays to start 2nd half. Few also got him the ball in places besides the block. 1st half Domas was not doubled that I recall. there was also mention on the game thread that it appeared SH began doubling all post touches on either player down the stretch. not sure if that was it or not

Zagger
03-18-2016, 02:13 PM

Your response is why I left myself an out with "if that indeed was a factor". You certainly know your team better than I do :)

For a season's worth of work the Zags were seeded in the Dance at what I felt was adequate (I predicted us getting a 10 seed). However, with the way the Zags have played since the last regular season game - I'd give them a 4 or 5. But, it's called March Madness for good reason. Utah could outright clobber the Zags. Or, the Zags could make Utah look a bit shaky. I believe the Zags will beat Utah due to how well they have shown that they can adjust to particular game situations as a whole (coaches and team) and that they really are a good team. I would not be surprised if the Zags make the Elite Eight again this year. Koolaide anyone? :)

BBzag
03-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Yesterday's game-by-game ratings (from this Dallas Morning News story: http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/03/18/baylor-loss-comes-just-short-tv-ratings-texas-tech-picture):

Duke/UNC-Wilmington: 2.4
Yale/Baylor: 2.3
Wichita St/Arizona: 1.7
Indiana/Chatanooga: 1.5
North Carolina/FGCU: 1.5
Kentucky/Stonybrook: 1.3
Miami/Buffalo: 1.0
Providence/USC: 0.8
Butler/Texas Tech: 0.6
Purdue/Little Rock: 0.6
Kansas/Austin Peay: 0.5
Zags/Seton Hall: 0.3
Iowa State/Iona: 0.3
U Conn/Colorado: 0.2
Utah/Fresno State: 0.2
Virginia/Hampton: 0.1

So Zags had by far the lowest rating of the four late games (though they of course started at least an hour later than anyone else).

Hoopaholic
03-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Your response is why I left myself an out with "if that indeed was a factor". You certainly know your team better than I do :)

For a season's worth of work the Zags were seeded in the Dance at what I felt was adequate (I predicted us getting a 10 seed). However, with the way the Zags have played since the last regular season game - I'd give them a 4 or 5. But, it's called March Madness for good reason. Utah could outright clobber the Zags. Or, the Zags could make Utah look a bit shaky. I believe the Zags will beat Utah due to how well they have shown that they can adjust to particular game situations as a whole (coaches and team) and that they really are a good team. I would not be surprised if the Zags make the Elite Eight again this year. Koolaide anyone? :)

Been sipping on it all afternoon