PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Guys

hallfan
03-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Just wanted to say congrats your win last night and good luck the rest of the way!

It's frustrating for us as it especially sucks to go down without your best effort, but that's how it goes sometimes. I get the feeling Gonzaga didn't have their best effort either, but their experience really showed in that they kept their composure and didn't beat themselves the way the Pirates did (heck, even our coach lost his composure and got himself a T right as it looked like we may make a run).

It wasn't our night, and your defense certainly deserves some credit for that, but man, we couldn't throw the ball in the ocean last night- from the field or the free throw line. Your big guys are the real deal. A 6'10" guy who can shoot the 3 is matchup nightmare for anyone and Sabonis was a monster against our undersized frontcourt.

It's a game of survive and advance your guys got the job done. Sorry our guys weren't able to give you the competitive game you deserved (though I'm sure you won't have too much trouble forgiving us lol).

Anyway, congrats again and good luck. Go beat Utah.

Zagdawg
03-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Thank you Hallfan.

Best of luck to you and your guys -- we may get to play again next year in the Orlando tournament and it will be a good game.

Alum08
03-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Thanks hallfan! Hopefully IW sticks around and we can play you again at Disney World next year! You'll be a similar team next year, only better. Scary. We'll have a lot of new faces so the matchups will be interesting once again. Good luck in the BE!

23dpg
03-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks hallfan. The worst day of the basketball season is usually the day after the season is over. I agree, neither team played their best. Hurts worse when you don't have another chance to show better.
Congrats for the great season.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2016, 09:46 AM
classy post hallfan

SWZag
03-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Thanks HallFan and Welcome. Any update on Sanogo? Sounded like, according to the broadcast that it was a dislocation. Hopefully it's not more than that and he can recover.

hallfan
03-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Yeah, the lack of composure is something that comes with having such a young team. SHU only really played one guy this year (Gordon) who's older than a sophomore. I definitely think your experience (both overall and in NCAA Tourney games) was the biggest factor.

I just hope you guys don't take that game as your impression of our team. That wasn't how they normally play- you guys effectively got Whitehead frustrated and it turned into him ineffectively trying to play hero-ball. When our guys play as a team, they're so much better than they showed last night.

hallfan
03-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Thanks HallFan and Welcome. Any update on Sanogo? Sounded like, according to the broadcast that it was a dislocation. Hopefully it's not more than that and he can recover.

It was a dislocated shoulder. He'll be okay. At least he has plenty of time to rest it now.

23dpg
03-18-2016, 09:53 AM
It was a dislocated shoulder. He'll be okay. At least he has plenty of time to rest it now.

I heard your coach say it was his third dislocation of the season. An offseason regiment of rehab and strengthening will be in order.

Zagger
03-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Thanks hallfan! Hope your team is in the Dance again next year. The overall experience of this game will help - hurts now but it'll help next season. And I'm with SWZag - speedy recovery for Sanogo!

gonzagafan62
03-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Thanks Hallfan!

You guys have an awesome team. One thing your Pirates should be really proud of is that Big East tournament championship. Not an easy league to win, and I'm sure you guys will savor that for awhile since you had that long drought. Nobody can take that away from you. EVER. That had to be pretty satisfying.

Good luck next year. I enjoyed playing your Pirates. Wish both teams and played better

Josh

TexasZagFan
03-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Yeah, the lack of composure is something that comes with having such a young team. SHU only really played one guy this year (Gordon) who's older than a sophomore. I definitely think your experience (both overall and in NCAA Tourney games) was the biggest factor.

I just hope you guys don't take that game as your impression of our team. That wasn't how they normally play- you guys effectively got Whitehead frustrated and it turned into him ineffectively trying to play hero-ball. When our guys play as a team, they're so much better than they showed last night.

NCAA tournament games are only a one game snapshot. It's great if you win, sucks if you lose. Unfortunately, reputations are often established on that snapshot.

Your program is headed in the right direction, we'll see you again down the road. As to Whitehead, I don't think this game hurts his draft standing...NBA teams draft on potential. I'm not sure his draft stock would improve with another year in college...just my opinion. I don't know his personal situation, but I do know Domas': money is not an issue in his family, thanks to his dad. He has plenty of room to grow, and he loves it at Gonzaga, though probably not as much as we love him. Unfortunately, I think he's playing himself into a lottery pick...dammit!

hallfan
03-18-2016, 10:20 AM
NCAA tournament games are only a one game snapshot. It's great if you win, sucks if you lose. Unfortunately, reputations are often established on that snapshot.

Your program is headed in the right direction, we'll see you again down the road. As to Whitehead, I don't think this game hurts his draft standing...NBA teams draft on potential. I'm not sure his draft stock would improve with another year in college...just my opinion. I don't know his personal situation, but I do know Domas': money is not an issue in his family, thanks to his dad. He has plenty of room to grow, and he loves it at Gonzaga, though probably not as much as we love him. Unfortunately, I think he's playing himself into a lottery pick...dammit!

Whitehead's said he'll only leave for the draft if he's 100% convinced he'll be a first round pick. From what I've heard, a few teams currently have him on their first round draft board but most see him as a 2nd rounder at best ATM. He's definitely going to declare and test the waters, though I think there's a decent chance he returns unless he really impresses at the draft combine. I'd also like to think his performance last night left a bitter taste in his mouth and entices him to come back to take care of some unfinished business. Money-wise, from what I've heard his family is by no means rich, but is comfortable- so there's no real added pressure to jump early for a quick payday.

zagbeliever
03-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to say congrats your win last night and good luck the rest of the way!

It's frustrating for us as it especially sucks to go down without your best effort, but that's how it goes sometimes. I get the feeling Gonzaga didn't have their best effort either, but their experience really showed in that they kept their composure and didn't beat themselves the way the Pirates did (heck, even our coach lost his composure and got himself a T right as it looked like we may make a run).

It wasn't our night, and your defense certainly deserves some credit for that, but man, we couldn't throw the ball in the ocean last night- from the field or the free throw line. Your big guys are the real deal. A 6'10" guy who can shoot the 3 is matchup nightmare for anyone and Sabonis was a monster against our undersized frontcourt.

It's a game of survive and advance your guys got the job done. Sorry our guys weren't able to give you the competitive game you deserved (though I'm sure you won't have too much trouble forgiving us lol).

Thanks, Hallfan. I will tell you at the ten minute mark in the second half I was wishing it was four and I could stop biting my nails. We don't normally have 20 turnovers (primarily caused by your guys aggressiveness) and those turnovers could have easily cost us the game. Also I liked that neither team had the word quit in their game plan. Good luck in the coming years with that young team Super good players.

TexasZagFan
03-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Whitehead's said he'll only leave for the draft if he's 100% convinced he'll be a first round pick. From what I've heard, a few teams currently have him on their first round draft board but most see him as a 2nd rounder at best ATM. He's definitely going to declare and test the waters, though I think there's a decent chance he returns unless he really impresses at the draft combine. I'd also like to think his performance last night left a bitter taste in his mouth and entices him to come back to take care of some unfinished business. Money-wise, from what I've heard his family is by no means rich, but is comfortable- so there's no real added pressure to jump early for a quick payday.

Good to hear, thanks.

Knowing what I know now, if I could have extended college a year or two, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my (our) Uncle gave me a choice: graduate in 4 years and enter the Army as an officer, or don't graduate in 4 years, and enter the Army as a Spec 4. lol, I opted for option #1. Forty years later, the Gonzaga ROTC program remains one of the best in the nation.

rennis
03-18-2016, 10:37 AM
i was feeling for Hall fans last night. Gonzaga has had more than a couple of stinkers in the NCAA tournament too. Nothing worse than watching a team with a lot of talent struggle to make baskets.

Still, they had a great year and always remember only one team ends this thing with a win.

Jstock12
03-18-2016, 10:42 AM
...and Sabonis was a monster against our undersized frontcourt.

Sounds to me like a backhanded compliment. Why even include the 'undersized frontcourt' part? Please just let us keep pretending that Sabonis dominated another elite frontcourt. :D Joking of course.

Thanks hallfan.

hallfan
03-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Sounds to me like a backhanded compliment. Why even include the 'undersized frontcourt' part? Please just let us keep pretending that Sabonis dominated another elite frontcourt. :D Joking of course.

Thanks hallfan.

Because while our front court isn't bad, per se, our tallest guy is 6'9" (you know, acting like that's short or something). No offense meant at all, just commending his ability to take advantage of a weakness of ours. We were never gonna win the frontcourt battle. He'll get to dominate an elite front court on Saturday

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Compliments to the SH players. While I noted some frustration (very understandable) I didn't see any crying or griping or complaining. Played hard and clean. I think you have a bunch of good guys. We Zag fans are often even more prideful of our players as individuals as than athletes. And in the long run, that's the final score anyway. SH players, you have my respect. Good playing and good luck on the way to next years dance!

Bogozags
03-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the super post! Unexpected but well appreciated too! I think the stress of playing three super games in three days might well have worn SH out emotionally as well as playing at altitude, which effects the legs causing shots to fall short...this game should have been nip and tuck for 40 minutes...

I remember watching the 89 FF with SH losing in the semi-finals...I believe a guy named Gaze(?) from Australia was on that team lightening it up...If SH can keep Whitehead for another year I feel confident they will be a highly ranked team and will have a good tourney next year...I sure wouldn't want GU to play them!

Again, THANKS for posting...

23dpg
03-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Andrew Gaze. Was it that long ago? Time flies.

Mantua
03-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Compliments to the SH players. While I noted some frustration (very understandable) I didn't see any crying or griping or complaining. Played hard and clean. I think you have a bunch of good guys. We Zag fans are often even more prideful of our players as individuals as than athletes. And in the long run, that's the final score anyway. SH players, you have my respect. Good playing and good luck on the way to next years dance!

So true that we care so much about these kids, year after year. I was in an impromptu conversation with a fellow Rosauer's shopper yesterday. After bonding over our mutual love of our players, I invited her to look up this board.

I felt for Seton Hall last night. Sorry we didn't give them a better game too. They have some good years ahead. They played a very clean game compared to many teams we have played and that was one aspect of the game I found refreshing.