PDA

View Full Version : The Nation is Waking up To Sabonis

zagsfanforlife
03-18-2016, 06:19 AM
Granted Domantas was a name already on the draft boards and is no stranger to scouts in the NBA and front offices. But was anyone scanning twitter, facebook, and other social media outlets last night? It was all Sabonis, all raves, all discussion about which team will be lucky enough to draft him in this next draft. If you ask me, and I bet others who have watched him all season would agree, this wasnt even one of Domantis' best games... he was more off then he usually is from the field--- missing chippies that he normally wouldnt. Even in a game where i dont think he played necessarily amazing, the nation is able to see his ridiculous skill set. The hype machine has increased 100% after last night. While I know his family doesnt need the money, I am becoming very skeptical that DS will be back with us next year. Until then, I am enjoying the ride. What a pleasure he is. SKILL, MOTOR, PASSION, GREAT ATTITUDE. Up there with Ammo as my Fav Zag Ever.

Lurknomore
03-18-2016, 06:23 AM
They said on the morning news he was battling a fever and sore throat last night.

zagsfanforlife
03-18-2016, 06:24 AM
They said on the morning news he was battling a fever and sore throat last night.

That explains his "off" game... i just found it amazing the national media oooooing and ahhhing over him, when he played not as good as he can. Where have they been all year? I guess the Big Stage opens eyes.

Blackbeard
03-18-2016, 06:26 AM
That explains his "off" game... i just found it amazing the national media oooooing and ahhhing over him, when he played not as good as he can. Where have they been all year? I guess the Big Stage opens eyes.

You really have to go out of your way to watch a gonzaga game during the regular season. Especially if you live on the east coast and don't mind staying up past midnight.

ZagMan in Philly
03-18-2016, 06:35 AM
He is looking forward to the match up with Poeltl tomorrow.
This should be good.

zagsfanforlife
03-18-2016, 06:36 AM
He is looking forward to the match up with Poeltl tomorrow.
This should be good.

HOW CAN YOU NOT GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS ^^^^ . Two lottery pick big men head to head. I myself CAN NOT WAIT!!!

scott257
03-18-2016, 07:01 AM
You really have to go out of your way to watch a gonzaga game during the regular season. Especially if you live on the east coast and don't mind staying up past midnight.

This year actually was not that bad. I remember just a few nights where I was just hanging by a thread the next day at work. I just can't sleep while there is a Gonzaga game on and usually for an hour or two after the game.

Jstock12
03-18-2016, 07:04 AM
HOW CAN YOU NOT GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS ^^^^ . Two lottery pick big men head to head. I myself CAN NOT WAIT!!!

Poeltl will be tough to handle for Domas. He is a long, legit 7-footer with great skills. He'll bother Domas on both ends.

U Zig, I Zag
03-18-2016, 07:13 AM
The key down low will be for either team to get the other team's big guys in foul trouble. eMac needs to penetrate and go right at Poeltl and try and pick up some quick fouls. And, perhaps, Sabonis going up against a slightly taller dude will be a benefit, seems like the 'bigger guy' gets into foul trouble first.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-18-2016, 07:13 AM
Poeltl will be tough to handle for Domas. He is a long, legit 7-footer with great skills. He'll bother Domas on both ends.

Agreed. Zags are gonna need big game from Wiltjer as I suspect Poeltl will be able to really bother Sabonis, except when Domas just beats him down court. Hope Zag guards look to feed DS before Poeltl can get back on D.

CdAZagFan
03-18-2016, 07:16 AM

Agreed. I worry both about Sabonis' offense over the big guy, and also worry about Domas picking up some early fouls against him. Although I have a feeling he may rise to the occasion and really play well.

Zaga
03-18-2016, 07:18 AM

I agree with you. Does not mean that Doma's cannot overcome a skilled big but will need the team's skill and patience to get him the ball at the right times in the set.... Go Zag's and congrats on another win!

bigblahla
03-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Domas has played him before and has absolutely no fear of him....great battle...

Go!! Zags!!!

rennis
03-18-2016, 07:27 AM
USA today has a piece on Sabonis this morning. Good stuff.

I can't wait to see him and Poetl battle on Saturday. I bet NBA scouts are looking forward to it as well.

Coach Crazy
03-18-2016, 07:33 AM
I agree with you. Does not mean that Doma's cannot overcome a skilled big but will need the team's skill and patience to get him the ball at the right times in the set.... Go Zag's and congrats on another win!

He'll win it with his footwork, that power move across the key, and forcing Poeltl to step out and guard him in the mid range. Domas is going to have to shoot from the mid-range, tomorrow.

ZagMan in Philly
03-18-2016, 07:38 AM
I am sure his 7'4" Dad will advice him on how to play against Poeltl.

Jstock12
03-18-2016, 08:56 AM
I am sure his 7'4" Dad will advice him on how to play against Poeltl.

Last time they played against each other (friendly exhibition game between Lithuanian and Austrian men's teams last year) Poeltl scored 27 points in 28 minutes. I'm not sure if they were matched against each other. Poeltl might have played C for Austria while Domas was a PF for Lithuania.

23dpg
03-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Here's what the SH coach had to say about Sabonis post game.

Q. Is Sabonis the best big you've faced this year?
COACH WILLARD: I'd say he's the toughest matchup we've had this year just because of how good Wiltjer's been playing and how he shoots it. It makes doubling him really hard, I mean really hard.

I thought he was really impressive. What I was more impressed from his scoring was I was more impressed with his rebounding. I thought he battled. He was much more physical than he looked on film. He battled in there. I thought he did a really good job of being physical on the rebounding aspect. That's what I was really impressed with him about.

The bolder comment kinda shocks me.

zagsfanforlife
03-18-2016, 09:08 AM

COACH WILLARD: I'd say he's the toughest matchup we've had this year just because of how good Wiltjer's been playing and how he shoots it. It makes doubling him really hard, I mean really hard.

I thought he was really impressive. What I was more impressed from his scoring was I was more impressed with his rebounding. I thought he battled. He was much more physical than he looked on film. He battled in there. I thought he did a really good job of being physical on the rebounding aspect. That's what I was really impressed with him about.

This just shows me the dude is not a good coach. I am sorry. But if you watch film, and you know how to watch film, Sabonis is very physical. When is he not?

TheZagPhish
03-18-2016, 09:10 AM
USA today has a piece on Sabonis this morning. Good stuff.

Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis expands his game (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/03/17/gonzaga-domantas-sabonis-expands-his-game-ncaa-tournament/81901216/)

TexasZagFan
03-18-2016, 09:12 AM
This just shows me the dude is not a good coach. I am sorry. But if you watch film, and you know how to watch film, Sabonis is very physical. When is he not?

Well, he's never been seen with a lunch pail...but that wouldn't be seen on film anyway.

Mr Vulture
03-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Get real! Just because he didn't share your view of the film, after watching who knows what game clips, doesn't make him a bad coach. He is a very good coach and the son of a very good coach as well. Get some perspective..my goodness.

zagsfanforlife
03-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Get real! Just because he didn't share your view of the film, after watching who knows what game clips, doesn't make him a bad coach. He is a very good coach and the son of a very good coach as well. Get some perspective..my goodness.

I've coached with Division 3 coaches who would watch 10 minutes of Sabonis and realize he is physical. Actually, the high school coaches I coached with could see that as well. I have my opinion, you have yours. Now You "get real".

TexasZagFan
03-18-2016, 09:19 AM

Agreed, this was his first trip to the Dance, with a very young team. Next year, he'll know how to deal with the aftereffects of the Big East tournament. Look at Duke: how many times have they tanked an early game in the ACC tournament? They know they're in, so they get a couple extra days to heal from a long season.

bballbeachbum

wow shocks me me too, but seems revealing of the actual belief for many--tho falsely conceived--that the WCC/Zags are patsies when it comes to physicality. more shocking perhaps is the physicality reality when they play Domas

Mr Vulture
He said he was much "more physical" than he showed on tape, not that he wasn't physical at all on the tape. Even the best coaches in college ball are surprised at times when they get a guy in front of them and their skill level is higher than they saw on limited tape? Anyway, I think Sabonis played great particularly since it sounds like he had a touch of the flu.

I've coached with Division 3 coaches who would watch 10 minutes of Sabonis and realize he is physical. Actually, the high school coaches I coached with could see that as well. I have my opinion, you have yours. Now You "get real".

zagsfanforlife
03-18-2016, 09:23 AM
He said he was much "more physical" than he showed on tape, not that he wasn't physical at all on the tape. Even the best coaches in college ball are surprised at times when they get a guy in front of them and their skill level is higher than they saw on limited tape? Anyway, I think Sabonis played great particularly since it sounds like he had a touch of the flu.

Yes the scary part is that I dont think he had one of his 10 best games this season, yet its now that the Media is going "wow, who is this sabonis guy?"

Hoopaholic
03-18-2016, 09:29 AM

I think sabonis is deceiving on tape unless you have wide angle tape
Most film is on ball film and sabonis and his footwork are nimble and fluid once he has ball making it appear he is non physical
Where he truly is physical and lives contact is establishing position before he gets the pass he lives contact and uses it to establish position

Mr Vulture
03-18-2016, 09:35 AM
If he has a big game versus Poetl and the Zags win, he will be the talk all week on the major outlets leading up to the Sweet 16. I agree, I thought that he was off a bit in this game, clearly not one of his best, but he still had 21pts and 16 boards...goodness!

Yes the scary part is that I dont think he had one of his 10 best games this season, yet its now that the Media is going "wow, who is this sabonis guy?"

Mr Vulture
03-18-2016, 09:36 AM
This might sound like a weird comparison, but I've thought all year that the footwork of Sabonis reminds me of Kevin McHale back in the day. McHale was the king of low post footwork in the 1980's and I see alot of those moves in Sabonis.

I think sabonis is deceiving on tape unless you have wide angle tape
Most film is on ball film and sabonis and his footwork are nimble and fluid once he has ball making it appear he is non physical
Where he truly is physical and lives contact is establishing position before he gets the pass he lives contact and uses it to establish position

Jstock12
03-18-2016, 09:38 AM

Strange, I understood that quote a bit differently, maybe because English isn't my native language. I actually thought that it was Willard's way of complimenting Domas by saying that while he looks physical on tape, watching & experiencing him live is completely different. Sort of his way of inviting NBA scouts to come see him live because they can't experience the "real Sabonis" just looking at the tape :D

Coach Crazy
03-18-2016, 09:47 AM

I don't think it makes him a bad coach, but I wouldn't have said what he did out loud. I would hope that a major college coach would have better film skills than that.

Coach Crazy
03-18-2016, 09:48 AM
This might sound like a weird comparison, but I've thought all year that the footwork of Sabonis reminds me of Kevin McHale back in the day. McHale was the king of low post footwork in the 1980's and I see alot of those moves in Sabonis.

I feel this way about Wilt(jer)

bballbeachbum
03-18-2016, 10:01 AM
perhaps here is a way to view it: how many of you have never seen Sabonis play in person (like me) but have seen him on TV so nevertheless know he's a physical beast? a beast who plays haaaard, dives on the floor, plays through heavy contact and double teams constantly, rebounds with two hands (and is ranked nationally in rebounding!), plays with emotion and a lack of regard for his body...things that define physical players.
I think Willard is telling it exactly like how he thought it was with Domas but, again, because of all the belief that the Big East is physical, the WCC and west coast is not, yada yada yada with the same stuff every year forever, his own kool aid blinded him to the reality of Domas' physicality, which is evident on tape, please

MickMick
03-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I feel this way about Wilt(jer)

When it comes to the combination of great footwork and finishing in the low post, Kevin McHale was in a different stratosphere than Wiltjer. Finishing is the key word here.

Wiltjer can take credit for being a deadly face up sniper from mid to long range, one of the best in the nation, but he is easily gobbled up when in the midst of long armed athletes. A liability, in fact, because he keeps going back to the empty well of "back to the basket" basketball.

Give Wiltjer space and he will eat you alive. Get in his grill and he becomes rather ordinary. He is typically an empty possession, by missed shot, offensive foul, or turnover, when he attempts to dribble and turn down low.

I agree with Mr. Vulture. Sabonis has outstanding footwork, can finish down low, and is certainly more comparable to Kevin McHale.

Birddog
03-18-2016, 06:57 PM
Strange, I understood that quote a bit differently, maybe because English isn't my native language. I actually thought that it was Willard's way of complimenting Domas by saying that while he looks physical on tape, watching & experiencing him live is completely different. Sort of his way of inviting NBA scouts to come see him live because they can't experience the "real Sabonis" just looking at the tape :D

English is my first language and my take of Willard's remarks was similar to yours.