• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CdAZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2013

Pre-Game Star Spangled Banner - Follow Up

Have seen a few random posts in the recent past regarding the issue of visiting teams going into the locker room during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner - I still don't understand why some teams disappear during this time, but saw this video of Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech coach and thought it was outstanding...

Buzz Williams Star Spangled Banner Lesson
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    Have seen a few random posts in the recent past regarding the issue of visiting teams going into the locker room during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner - I still don't understand why some teams disappear during this time, but saw this video of Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech coach and thought it was outstanding...

Buzz Williams Star Spangled Banner Lesson

Wow!

I have a completely different opinion of Coach Williams.

Every team should have this understanding of what was sacrificed so that they have opportunities many in the world do not have.

Comment

• GrizZAG
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2009

Anybody know why some of the military men did not place their hand over their heart? I saw a few that did not, especially the ones in uniform. ?? Protocol of some sort?
      One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
        Anybody know why some of the military men did not place their hand over their heart? I saw a few that did not, especially the ones in uniform. ?? Protocol of some sort?
        If you're in uniform, you're supposed to salute.

Comment

• Bogozags
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
          If you're in uniform, you're supposed to salute.
          TZF

If memory serves, the Navy never salutes without a cover and they never wear their covers in doors, except for Color Guard Ceremonies. I believe the same holds true for the Air Force. I think the Army is the only service that salutes indoors.

Comment

• kitzbuel
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
            TZF

If memory serves, the Navy never salutes without a cover and they never wear their covers in doors, except for Color Guard Ceremonies. I believe the same holds true for the Air Force. I think the Army is the only service that salutes indoors.
            Army stands at attention when under cover (indoors, in a vehicle, etc), salutes when not under cover.
            'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
              Army stands at attention when under cover (indoors, in a vehicle, etc), salutes when not under cover.
              Thanks for the correction, it's been 30+ years since I was in uniform, and obviously attended few ceremonies where the anthem was played.

Comment

• scott257
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                TZF

Can't speak for the Air Force but you are correct with respect to Navy and Marines. Inside you would stand at attention. I always thought the Air Force just kind of made things up as they went along. Only time I ever got in trouble with respect to saluting was from not saluting a female Air Force officer. I was in the Navy and On a Navy base that had training for all services. This woman with no cover (hat) walked by me and then proceeded to get on me for not saluting an officer. She then got really bent when I asked where the officer was. Needless to say my Chief was informed and as I was explaining what happened he started laughing so hard I thought he was going to hurt himself.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
                  Can't speak for the Air Force but you are correct with respect to Navy and Marines. Inside you would stand at attention. I always thought the Air Force just kind of made things up as they went along. Only time I ever got in trouble with respect to saluting was from not saluting a female Air Force officer. I was in the Navy and On a Navy base that had training for all services. This woman with no cover (hat) walked by me and then proceeded to get on me for not saluting an officer. She then got really bent when I asked where the officer was. Needless to say my Chief was informed and as I was explaining what happened he started laughing so hard I thought he was going to hurt himself.
                  I was on AF bases during my tour in Germany. At Hahn, our barracks was near the dining facility, and it was inevitable that there would be traffic. Anyhow, there were numerous times I had to stop and correct AF enlisted & NCOs that didn't salute us. It got old to tell you the truth, but we had to do it. If our soldiers saw us letting them "get over", they might think there's a double standard. It was never like "Lt Hauk" in "Good Morning Vietnam". I hate his line about being saluted, but it's just a movie.

There was an Army Liaison Officer who could get #####ly with the brass. One time he was walking across the street when he encountered the Base Commander, who was the first woman ever assigned to that position at a Tac Fighter Wing. Damn, she could be a you know what. Anyway, he salutes the Colonel, but he was in pilot mode, i.e. sans hat. She stops him and says, "Major, how am I supposed to distinguish you from the Air Force pilots?"

He sharply responded, "Two reasons, Colonel: my boots are shined, and I have a military haircut." He walked on, leaving her stewing in the middle of the street.

I got into it with her indirectly. About a year before her arrival, I became the Wing Commander's point man on Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical (NBC) during tac evals. During my first eval, I was briefing the Wing Cdr on our units' location when an input hit. His Disaster Prep Officer, a Captain, went overboard on recommending Alarm Red, meaning everybody outside had to put on protective gear. It's tough to load bombs and launch aircraft in that environment.

The input was right up my alley, as I was the NBC officer for my battery, and had received formal training. You should have seen the looks of the four other AF Colonels when I spoke up, I was just another green 2LT, Army no less. My recommendation was to go Alarm Yellow, i.e. no protective gear required, and I backed it with three sound reasons. Wing Cdr says, "Let's go with that," and I saw the evaluators nodding their heads. About 30 minutes later, I could hear him bellow, "as long as I'm in command, I want that Army Lieutenant up here whenever there's an NBC input." We got along great, he'd stop by during slow times, just to talk. Except for pilots, LTs aren't handed much responsibility until they make Captain, at least that was my experience. In the Army, you got hit with the kitchen sink as a platoon leader. Not only did you have a platoon with 20+ men (I went 8 months as the PL for two platoons), there were several "extra duties" as well, such as NBC Officer, Mess Officer, Security Officer, etc.

Fast forward to the new Base Cdrs tac eval. Same sequence, but as I'm leaving, she says to the Wing Cdr, "Colonel, you know we have our own Disaster Preparedness Officer." He tersely dispatched her with language you don't expect one colonel to say to another. She stormed out in a huff. I avoided her as much as I could...lol.

Apologies for telling a story interesting only to me. I really did enjoy my time as a Platoon Leader.
                  Last edited by TexasZagFan; 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM. Reason: p-r-i-c-k-l-y is a clean word...lol

Comment

• scott257
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2009

TexasZagFan - you don't happen to work for the NRC in Arlington do you? If so, we have more in common than you might think.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
                      TexasZagFan - you don't happen to work for the NRC in Arlington do you? If so, we have more in common than you might think.
                      Me, near nukes? Heaven forbid!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X