PDA

View Full Version : WCC - Why can't the other schools get an fan support / student support?

Tetonka Test
03-15-2016, 07:59 AM
regarding improving the WCC, specifically recruiting....

How many times have you tuned into a WCC basketball game (not featuring Gonzaga) and saw an almost completely empty gym, with only about 20 students in attendance? I think it's a big problem for the WCC schools improving their basketball teams. If you are a recruit, would you want to attend a school that only gets less than 1,000 people out to a game, and maybe 20 students???

WCC could be so much better simply if the gyms were full. For example, I saw a Stoney Brook game over the weekend play in a 4,000 seat gym. The environment looked amazing, simply because the gym was full....

The other WCC can probably improve their recruiting and talent level if they simply fill their gyms and make the environment more fun.

Maybe some of the other WCC schools need to think outside the box for a while? What about making attending a certain number of their home basketball games mandatory for all of their Freshman? Maybe this would build a culture of their students actually caring about the games and the school?

What are your thoughts? why can't these other schools get more of their students out to the games?

Zagceo
03-15-2016, 08:03 AM
You do know the name Kennedy Pavilion and remember games played on Saturday afternoons with most students absent?

Its called winning…and they will come.

IdahoTJR
03-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Winning will improve attendance. Its that simple.

Coach Crazy
03-15-2016, 08:06 AM

How many times have you tuned into a WCC basketball game (not featuring Gonzaga) and saw an almost completely empty gym, with only about 20 students in attendance? I think it's a big problem for the WCC schools improving their basketball teams. If you are a recruit, would you want to attend a school that only gets less than 1,000 people out to a game, and maybe 20 students???

WCC could be so much better simply if the gyms were full. For example, I saw a Stoney Brook game over the weekend play in a 4,000 seat gym. The environment looked amazing, simply because the gym was full....

The other WCC can probably improve their recruiting and talent level if they simply fill their gyms and make the environment more fun.

Maybe some of the other WCC schools need to think outside the box for a while? What about making attending a certain number of their home basketball games mandatory for all of their Freshman? Maybe this would build a culture of their students actually caring about the games and the school?

What are your thoughts? why can't these other schools get more of their students out to the games?

A lot of the WCC is in California. Some of those schools are also not cheap. California is not cheap. There are 3 variables, right there, that can provide ample conjecture. Also, most of the programs in the WCC are not very good, and even when they are good, they know exactly how the season is likely to end up.

Tetonka Test
03-15-2016, 08:16 AM
A lot of the WCC is in California. Some of those schools are also not cheap. California is not cheap. There are 3 variables, right there, that can provide ample conjecture. Also, most of the programs in the WCC are not very good, and even when they are good, they know exactly how the season is likely to end up.

Well, if you are saying "conjecture" here, are you suggesting that the sorts of students that attend most of the WCC simply don't care about college athletics? I do know that a lot of these California schools have large foreign national student bodies. Maybe the students from Korea and China simply don't care about the school or its athletics, and are there to get a degree and bail...

Here is a look of the undergraduate demographics of the San Francisco Dons, for a comparison:

University of San Francisco:
https://www.usfca.edu/about-usf/what-you-need-to-know/facts-statistics
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT DIVERSITY
African American 4%
Asian-American 24%
Caucasian 29%
International 20%
Latino/Hispanic 19%
Native American 1.5%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander 1%
Unspecified (or Chose Not to Disclose) 1.5%

Zagceo
03-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Winning transcends ……..wash rinse repeat

Coach Crazy
03-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Well, if you are saying "conjecture" here, are you suggesting that the sorts of students that attend most of the WCC simply don't care about college athletics? I do know that a lot of these California schools have large foreign national student bodies. Maybe the students from Korea and China simply don't care about the school or its athletics, and are there to get a degree and bail...

Here is a look of the undergraduate demographics of the San Francisco Dons, for a comparison:

University of San Francisco:
https://www.usfca.edu/about-usf/what-you-need-to-know/facts-statistics
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT DIVERSITY
African American 4%
Asian-American 24%
Caucasian 29%
International 20%
Latino/Hispanic 19%
Native American 1.5%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander 1%
Unspecified (or Chose Not to Disclose) 1.5%

I should have said "extrapolate". My brain is not working. I am saying more so that some of these schools require students to work a lot, and the ones that are getting school and/or life paid for might not really be into going to something with such a low entertainment profile. And as has already been said, it's California. Having lived there, I could see why some would not want to go a college basketball game for a dumpy program in a small gym. When I went to UVU, even in Utah, I never went to a game. And there is less to do here.

Interesting demographics, though. I could see that having some effect.

kitzbuel
03-15-2016, 08:49 AM
I should have said "extrapolate". My brain is not working. I am saying more so that some of these schools require students to work a lot, and the ones that are getting school and/or life paid for might not really be into going to something with such a low entertainment profile. And as has already been said, it's California. Having lived there, I could see why some would not want to go a college basketball game for a dumpy program in a small gym. When I went to UVU, even in Utah, I never went to a game. And there is less to do here.

Interesting demographics, though. I could see that having some effect.

WCC attendance, while having fairly empty gyms on TV, is not terrible. 2014 NCAA attendance stats: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2014.pdf

The conference does get a boost from BYU's ginormous Merriot Center and the overall average attendance is skewed by the 20K+ numbers that Syracuse, Louisville and Kentucky pull. It would be interesting to know where the mean sits.

rennis
03-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Because Gonzaga keeps them from making it to the Big Dance once in a while.

Mojo13
03-15-2016, 09:46 AM
A big part comes down to options.

Not much to do in Spokane on a Saturday in January relative LA/SD/Bay Area. The Zags are the only show in town for some 500K (700K?) people.
Tell me someone in SD can't find 20 better things to do with their time than watch WCC basketball (winning team or not).

Zag fans literally camp out for days to get tickets and no one thinks twice about it....that would be looked at as insanity in SoCal.
I love college bball and have about 10 D1 schools within an hour drive, cheap, easy to get tickets...yet only go to a couple games a year.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Not much to do in Spokane on a Saturday in January relative LA/SD/Bay Area. The Zags are the only show in town for some 500K (700K?) people.
Tell me someone in SD can't find 20 better things to do with their time than watch WCC basketball (winning team or not).

Zag fans literally camp out for days to get tickets and no one thinks twice about it....that would be looked at as insanity in SoCal.
I love college bball and have about 10 D1 schools within an hour drive, cheap, easy to get tickets...yet only go to a couple games a year.

DFW's the same way, though we don't have 10 D1 schools in the area.

HS football here is crazy, if only for the entertainment value. There are at least two dozen schools that regularly put teams in the mythical top 100. Many of the bands are huge, ranging from 300-650 musicians, drill teams and cheer squads are all top notch. Community support is similar to what you see in Friday Night Lights, without most of the drama.

Many first and second round games are played at Jerry World, where you can buy an all day ticket for $12, and sit in the seats that routinely go for $300 a game, not including PSL.

I've promised my son we'll go to a couple of SMU games in the fall.

Ekrub
03-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Don't buy this. They find the time to pack the house when the Zags come to town. Imagine if they were consistently as good as the zags. The people are there. The program needs to improve.

sittingon50
03-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Don't buy this. They find the time to pack the house when the Zags come to town. Imagine if they were consistently as good as the zags. The people are there. The program needs to improve.

Yep.

Started following the Zags in '92. K1 was often half full, maybe.

As has been stated: winning.

bigblahla
03-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Marketing 101....absent from the WCC Commish's mentality me thinks....along with being a good Shepard....the Peter Principle in full effect...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Gonzdb8
03-15-2016, 12:00 PM

this is the argument most WCC schools use to justify why their gyms are half empty or to explain the rise of GU. its complete BS and is based on ZERO data. if you field a winning team the fans will show up. end of story. but hey, if this is what USF fans (or others) have to tell themselves so they can sleep at night then so be it.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2016, 12:20 PM
this is the argument most WCC schools use to justify why their gyms are half empty or to explain the rise of GU. its complete BS and is based on ZERO data. if you field a winning team the fans will show up. end of story. but hey, if this is what USF fans (or others) have to tell themselves so they can sleep at night then so be it.

A bit O/T, but my son showed his frustration on the way home from Houston last year. "Dad, why do we go to all these games when we lose ALL the time?"

First, I reminded him that we saw the Zags win in Stillwater. Second, the teams we play on the road are very good teams, and they're at home, which makes it even tougher. Third, it's about the journey, whether it be getting pictures with the team after the game, or going to Sun Studio in Memphis (where Elvis recorded his first hit). The SMU game was awesome, meeting fellow alumni from different eras.

And it just makes each victory sweeter when we win the game.

SCU
03-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Santa Clara hasn't made the NCAA tournament, or really been close, since Steve Nash was a senior. He's now retired from the NBA. That means the kids in the stands for his games have kids applying to SCU now.

SJSU is 7 miles from Santa Clara, and Stanford is in the same county. The San Jose Sharks are withing walking distance of the campus, if you're hearty. SCU has a train station on campus- 45 minutes you're at a Giants game, 1 hour you're at the A's (2$ tickets) or the Warriors (best basketball team in the country). 49ers play in a few miles from campus. Santa Cruz beach is 1/2 an hour away. Tahoe and Napa are easy trips with a car, not to mention everything you can do in San Francisco. To top it all off, the college neighborhood around SCU is a grand time in and of itself. The weather is generally immaculate.

Santa Clara was 11-20 this year. You do the math.

USF, LMU, Pepp, USD- they all have a similar story to tell re: location and dearth of success.

CaliWG
03-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Here's what some of the schools can do to increase student participation. Instead of selling back their entire allotment of WCC Tourny tickets, reward students who attend university sporting events with a free trip to Vegas. Back when the Pac-10 played at Staples tournament attendance was terrible. One school (Utah maybe?) decided to reward about 100 students who were dedicated attendees of sporting events a free bus ride, hotel, and tickets to the tournament. It would be cool to see a decent student turn out at the WCC Tourny, and the possibility of a free trip to Vegas may encourage more students to attend games at these schools.

Alum08
03-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Not much to do in Spokane on a Saturday in January relative LA/SD/Bay Area.

http://www.skitown.com/gfx/trailmaps/id17tm02f.jpg

SCU
03-15-2016, 12:59 PM

I've often wondered about this... If SCU/USF/USD/LMU was a consistent 20 game winner, would they sell out every game, no matter who?

The gyms would be fuller, certainly, but I'm not sure it would be Gonzaga-level fanaticism. UCLA has a hard time selling tickets, even in the good years, and so did the Miami Heat when they had Lebron... Big cities with options just don't go as nuts.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Santa Clara hasn't made the NCAA tournament, or really been close, since Steve Nash was a senior. He's now retired from the NBA. That means the kids in the stands for his games have kids applying to SCU now.

SJSU is 7 miles from Santa Clara, and Stanford is in the same county. The San Jose Sharks are withing walking distance of the campus, if you're hearty. SCU has a train station on campus- 45 minutes you're at a Giants game, 1 hour you're at the A's (2$ tickets) or the Warriors (best basketball team in the country). 49ers play in a few miles from campus. Santa Cruz beach is 1/2 an hour away. Tahoe and Napa are easy trips with a car, not to mention everything you can do in San Francisco. To top it all off, the college neighborhood around SCU is a grand time in and of itself. The weather is generally immaculate.

Santa Clara was 11-20 this year. You do the math.

USF, LMU, Pepp, USD- they all have a similar story to tell re: location and dearth of success.

You forgot Saratoga Summit Fire Station and Big Basin State Park.

So why does SCU pack the arena for the Zags? They're more of a draw than the Warriors or the Sharks?

SCU
03-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Here's what some of the schools can do to increase student participation. Instead of selling back their entire allotment of WCC Tourny tickets, reward students who attend university sporting events with a free trip to Vegas. Back when the Pac-10 played at Staples tournament attendance was terrible. One school (Utah maybe?) decided to reward about 100 students who were dedicated attendees of sporting events a free bus ride, hotel, and tickets to the tournament. It would be cool to see a decent student turn out at the WCC Tourny, and the possibility of a free trip to Vegas may encourage more students to attend games at these schools.

Santa Clara does this already. All sorts of incentives, including a trip to Vegas. Hasn't worked. Who wants to go when you're gonna watch you team lose in the first round. SCU kids roadtrip to Vegas with relative ease all the time.

Winning is what it takes.

SCU
03-15-2016, 01:05 PM
You forgot Saratoga Summit Fire Station and Big Basin State Park.

So why does SCU pack the arena for the Zags? They're more of a draw than the Warriors or the Sharks?

If it's a marquee opponent, the kids will walk across the campus to go see them. They get in free anyway. It's also generally the freshman/sophomores who do. Once you realize it's the same old song and dance each year, people stop caring.

A good chunk is Gonzaga fans at that game as well, beyond the student section.

If you were a freshman at SCU this year, look what you would have seen at you first couple games- an 0-7 start with losses to a bunch of absolute garbage teams. Lipscomb, Milwaukee, and Denver. That's a good way guarantee kids will never come back. They don't play anyone relevant at home all year besides BYU, GU, and SMC. Then they lose those games. You find other ways to stay entertained really quick.

It's a self perpetuating cycle. At this point, the only way to turn it around is with better results.

SCU
03-15-2016, 01:19 PM

IF you field a winning team fans show up.

They don't field winning teams.

So there's no fans. The arguments aren't mutually exclusive. They suck, and there's lots to do, so nobody goes.

zagsfanforlife
03-15-2016, 01:23 PM
You all are right.

So cal teams have many more entertainment options around them then Spokane. Simple Facts. If those teams are losing, they wont draw. People simply have better reasons to spend their 20-50 dollars on a saturday. However, as evidenced by the 1990 Hank and Bo teams of LMU who sold out every single home game, if you win, people will come. So Cal fans want to support winners. They are very fair weather having lived here forever. If you win, they will show. If not, they have better things to do.

SCU
03-15-2016, 01:27 PM
You all are right.

So cal teams have many more entertainment options around them then Spokane. Simple Facts. If those teams are losing, they wont draw. People simply have better reasons to spend their 20-50 dollars on a saturday. However, as evidenced by the 1990 Hank and Bo teams of LMU who sold out every single home game, if you win, people will come. So Cal fans want to support winners. They are very fair weather having lived here forever. If you win, they will show. If not, they have better things to do.

Exactly

Santa Clara attendance average with Steve Nash as a senior- 4,141

Santa Clara attendance average last year - 1,768

Winning cures all

TexasZagFan
03-15-2016, 01:29 PM
You all are right.

(Nearly) all fans want to support winners. Except for the average Dallas Cowboy fan...lol. They're just plain suckers for the Jones family.

zagsfanforlife
03-15-2016, 01:45 PM
(Nearly) all fans want to support winners. Except for the average Dallas Cowboy fan...lol. They're just plain suckers for the Jones family.

LA is more fair weather than most.. was my point. Just look at the clippers.

Mantua
03-15-2016, 01:50 PM
It's hard to build up non conference schedules when the bssketball programs aren't sufficiently funded.

Section 116
03-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Tetonka Test, per Kitzbuel's post above with a link to 2014 NCAA attendance figures, Stony Brook's average attendance that year was just over 1500. Considering they just missed the tourney the past few years and once again had a shot it's no surprise they filled the gym. A cursory check of attendance figures for Stony Brook's attendance figures for this season show figures in the 3000-4000 range. A proven winner will help fill the gym and Stony Brook has done well win wise for the several years, or more?

roxdoc
03-15-2016, 11:11 PM
I get tired of people insinuating that the Zag popularity is because there is nothing else to do in Spokane. There is plenty to do. I have marveled before that on a Zag game night (full house of course), the Symphony was playing for a large audience and there was a hockey game going on that may have even outdrawn the Zags.

As for BB, Whitworth was rated #3 D-1 this season, N Idaho College was rated #3 JC, EWU was definitely in the hunt for the Big Sky. I imagine it would be hard to get a seat at many of their games. I could go on and on

Certainly lots of things to do in greater LA, but if you drew a circle for a 30 minute drive from your location your choices would drop to perhaps in some cases less than Spokane.

I agree with above - you win and they will come.

Zagger
03-16-2016, 03:43 AM
Maybe some fun half time stuff centered around the students. Dance competitions, student short vids competitions, etc. Something to attract the students to the gym/arena that is designed around developing/fostering a social culture reflective of the college/university AND getting to know the BB players. Get students involved in the solution. College aged humans certainly do not lack imagination. Once you're at a college BB game it is easy to get involved in the play. Winning certainly helps but it's also a double edged sword. Teams tend to thrive off of fan attention - being cheered on doesn't hurt a team's score. College basketball games are good fun. If the right spices are added to a game day it certainly couldn't hurt attendance.

gonzagafan62
03-16-2016, 04:22 AM

Boy you haters really all can perceive it's only the Jones family. How bout some of us that fell In love with Roger, Troy and Emmitt. Boy you are ridiculous with this post lol

GrizZAG
03-16-2016, 05:14 AM
Spokane / Gonzaga Basketball romance is the same as Missoula / Grizzly Football. The town is consumed by these teams. Hard to pull off elsewhere because of limited captive audience. Having a winning program on a consistent basis also has to be in this equation as well.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2016, 05:19 AM
Spokane / Gonzaga Basketball romance is the same as Missoula / Grizzly Football. The town is consumed by these teams. Hard to pull off elsewhere because of limited captive audience. Having a winning program on a consistent basis also has to be in this equation as well.

excellent analogy......the pomp and circumstance around each of the programs is well designed and engaging.....creating an atmosphere of true excitement and as you put it winning helps a lot with that but the backside logistics, planning and marketing also have direct impact as well

Outraged
03-16-2016, 06:07 AM
Fine then make them pay 10k for any game below 1000 attendendees. And make the post the fine in the local paper using a 34 font.

75Zag
03-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Seems like you folks have correctly identified the major issues: player talent, stadium facilities, competing local entertainment options, and a winning team. Some schools, like UP, really seem to be trying to improve their stature. I think their stadium facility is the best in the WCC and they provide promotions, great half-time entertainment, good Pilot (alumni) club eating and drinking options, etc. But they suffer from an overall lack of player talent, lack of a winning team, and they are competing with the Blazers, Timbers, Winterhawks, and a half-dozen very good local high school BB programs, not to mention a wide variety of non sporting events and programs. I doubt that firing their coach can address their problems but time will tell.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Seems like you folks have correctly identified the major issues: player talent, stadium facilities, competing local entertainment options, and a winning team. Some schools, like UP, really seem to be trying to improve their stature. I think their stadium facility is the best in the WCC and they provide promotions, great half-time entertainment, good Pilot (alumni) club eating and drinking options, etc. But they suffer from an overall lack of player talent, lack of a winning team, and they are competing with the Blazers, Timbers, Winterhawks, and a half-dozen very good local high school BB programs, not to mention a wide variety of non sporting events and programs. I doubt that firing their coach can address their problems but time will tell.

Perhaps these schools need some new people in their marketing and promotions department?

A bit O/T, but Bob Finn did a great job working with the local alumni group, getting a suite for the SMU game. We must have had 30 people there, in addition to those that bought regular seats.

No doubt, it will take a lot of additional work for the other schools, with no expectations they'll be successful. IMO, that effort will pay off by getting that second and third team into the NCAA. Instead of $400K a year, what could they do with $800K every year? There's the hook that the commish needs to set.

GrizZAG
03-16-2016, 06:50 AM
Chiles Center is an awesome arena at UP. Beautifully done. I really think if UP went on a rip like the Zags did they would indeed pack their house on a regular basis. ER needs some high success recruiting, otherwise the pieces are in place. Portland loves college basketball. Gettting some major love from local press makes a huge impact as well.

seacatfan
03-16-2016, 09:41 AM
I have to think that something working against Portland is that there are a large number of Oregon and Oregon St. alums/fans in the area. Even though UP is the closest school by proximity, it's a distant third in terms of interest and media coverage.

SCU
03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
I have to think that something working against Portland is that there are a large number of Oregon and Oregon St. alums/fans in the area. Even though UP is the closest school by proximity, it's a distant third in terms of interest and media coverage.

You could even say 4th, PSU has a lot more alumni in Portland than University of Portland. The pilots are better, and have a better gym, but still.

Also, while we're talking about fan support in the WCC- SMC had 1,100 people last night for the NIT game.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2016, 09:55 AM
You could even say 4th, PSU has a lot more alumni in Portland than University of Portland. The pilots are better, and have a better gym, but still.

Also, while we're talking about fan support in the WCC- SMC had 1,100 people last night for the NIT game.

Believe me, we all noticed that. I suspect that Zag fans would have treated it as a second "Senior Night", despite the obvious disappointment of not making the Tournament.

23dpg
03-16-2016, 09:55 AM

I get that the fans were probably disappointed at not making the tourney but that is exactly the problem. Not enough diehard fans.
I wonder how many fans would show up if the Zags were in the NIT? I hope it's a long time before we find out but I'm guessing the gym would be full.

bigblahla
03-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Perhaps these schools need some new people in their marketing and promotions department?

Wins keep them coming but not necessary to fill the seats......systemic problem league wide sans GU & BYU....Commish has to step up and implement league wide marketing approach ...Why not? Nothing to lose....everything to gain....problem is don't think that light bulb will ever turn on...too bad...

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Alum08
03-16-2016, 10:33 AM
They need the equivalent of the Kennel Club to help build camaraderie and create some peer pressure to attend games. Organized drinking doesn't hurt either.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Wins keep them coming but not necessary to fill the seats......systemic problem league wide sans GU & BYU....Commish has to step up and implement league wide marketing approach ...Why not? Nothing to lose....everything to gain....problem is don't think that light bulb will ever turn on...too bad...

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Good idea...I thought the current commissioner was hired because she was a marketing whiz?

Reading her bio, it doesn't appear that marketing is one of her strengths. However, she has been with the WCC for four years, so she should be able to provide some direction.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2016, 10:41 AM
They need the equivalent of the Kennel Club to help build camaraderie and create some peer pressure to attend games. Organized drinking doesn't hurt either.

Disorganized drinking is beneficial, too.

Let's just say I was supremely prepared for life in Germany after graduation. :lmao:

bartruff1
03-16-2016, 11:01 AM
The other teams are in areas when the completion for spending entertainment dollars is completely different than Spokane....

sonuvazag
03-16-2016, 11:28 AM
I feel like this is it. I started as a freshman at Santa Clara in '96 and the difference then between the Kennel Club and SCU's equivalent group (can't even remember the name) was night and day. Even though Gonzaga games were not the event they are now, there was still a passionate fan base and the Kennel Club was already a thing.

Coming from that, I was intending to go to a lot of games at Santa Clara and it didn't work out because no one else was going. And the truth is those students may have a lot of options, but I'd bet most of the time they're just sitting around in the dorms or going to a house party.