PDA

View Full Version : TruTV option

zagfan24
03-14-2016, 06:03 AM
Just an FYI for those with a Roku player or similar device:

You can sign up for 7 free days of SlingTV here:

https://www.sling.com/

https://www.sling.com/programming/entertainment

It includes ESPN family of channels as well as TBS, TNT, and TruTV. Go Zags!

slickguser
03-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Zagfan24,

Thanks for the info! Have you signed up for the 7 day trial? I was looking into it and did not find TruTV in the main "BEST OF LIVE TV PACKAGE". After looking at your link, it seems that TruTV is part of the "LIFESTYLE EXTRA" package. I have reviewed the website and am having a difficult time determining what is part of the 7 day free trial. Can you (or anyone) verify that the "LIFESTYLE EXTRA" package can be added to the 7 day trial?

zagfan24
03-14-2016, 06:44 AM
You're right, I didn't notice that. Will look into it and see. Last year I streamed the NCAA March Madness live from my computer to the TV, it worked well most of the time but occasionally had buffering and video quality issues. I may honestly just sign up for Sling altogether with the add-on channels for the month, since we don't have cable. Still seems well worth it.

adoptedzag
03-14-2016, 07:42 AM
I cut the cord last year and this was by far my "scariest" moment of the cord cutting, but for the most part it is painless. You can download a Roku channel and watch the games through that app also if you have a Roku:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/83669/ncaa-march-madness-live

Edit to add: I also have slingTV, which gives me access to WatchESPN. Well worth the $25/mo if you ask me.

Alum08
03-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Sling still has a lot of bugs, so prepare for frustration.

the dood
03-14-2016, 07:45 AM
I have sling, not incredibly impressed with the streaming quality. However, as adoptedzag noted, for $25 a month paid to sling, you can use the watch espn app which is much better quality.

I'm a bit bummed I'll have to use the slingtv app for the trutv game.

adoptedzag
03-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Sling still has a lot of bugs, so prepare for frustration.

How so? I haven't had too many problems, other than when my network buffers, but that's a momentary pause and isn't very frequent. Do you use slingTV on a roku or chromecast?

webspinnre
03-14-2016, 07:58 AM
I cut the cord last year and this was by far my "scariest" moment of the cord cutting, but for the most part it is painless. You can download a Roku channel and watch the games through that app also if you have a Roku:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/83669/ncaa-march-madness-live

Edit to add: I also have slingTV, which gives me access to WatchESPN. Well worth the $25/mo if you ask me.

This actually includes all 4 channels? Most of the roku stuff these days is starting to require cable provider verification for things that attach to the cable channels.

Alum08
03-14-2016, 08:13 AM
How so? I haven't had too many problems, other than when my network buffers, but that's a momentary pause and isn't very frequent. Do you use slingTV on a roku or chromecast?

I use the Windows desktop app on my HTPC.

The client has a lot of bugs, so many that I can't even list them all out here. The most egregious one is the commercial volumes sometimes gets jacked so high I think my speakers will blow. The UI is also very unresponsive and inconsistent, you have to figure out ways to perform certain tasks, like reloading the current channel when it freezes (you have to go to a different channel, load it, go back to the channel you were on, load the previous episode, and then reload the episode you were watching so the "Resume" option shows up).

Streaming quality is OK unless it's a high demand time (Sunday nights for the walking dead is the notorious time to avoid).

Like someone posted above, it's much better to use the WatchESPN app or website, unfortunately that won't be an option for truTV.

adoptedzag
03-14-2016, 08:28 AM
This actually includes all 4 channels? Most of the roku stuff these days is starting to require cable provider verification for things that attach to the cable channels.

Yup, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNNews. That and WatchESPN, which does require cable provider verification, but you just log in with your sling credentials and bob's your uncle.