PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Seton Hall predictions

Zags11
03-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Yes I know its a day early. I'm just excited that we did march again.

Zags 77
Seton Hall 72

I believe this game as a coin flip. However, with the flight and late tip I believe it'll factor us and we will pull away at the end.

Sabonis with 19.

ZagaZags
03-14-2016, 12:55 AM
Gonzaga scores more than Seton Hall. #141 SH-74.8 ppg #28 GU-79.7 ppg
Gonzaga is the superior free throw shooting team. #289 SH-66% #12 GU-76%
Gonzaga is the better shooting team. #126 SH- FG% .450. #14 GU-FG% .486.
Gonzaga is the better three point shooting team. #146 SH-.353 #40 GU-3pt% .378.
Seton Hall is the better rebounding team. #27 SH-40.0 rpg. #33 GU-39.6 rpg.

Gonzaga 75
Seton Hall 69

maynard g krebs
03-14-2016, 01:36 AM

Rebound margin GU 24th @ +7.3
SHU 55th @+4.1

Of course, they play a tougher schedule overall.

Zags11
03-14-2016, 01:44 AM
Gonzaga scores more than Seton Hall. #141 SH-74.8 ppg #28 GU-79.7 ppg
Gonzaga is the superior free throw shooting team. #289 SH-66% #12 GU-76%
Gonzaga is the better shooting team. #126 SH- FG% .450. #14 GU-FG% .486.
Gonzaga is the better three point shooting team. #146 SH-.353 #40 GU-3pt% .378.

Gonzaga 75
Seton Hall 69

Makes me feel slightly better.

ZagMan in Philly
03-14-2016, 04:05 AM
Our two headed monster will carry us to victory.
Zags 75
Seton Hall 70

Outraged
03-14-2016, 04:29 AM
Our monster has more than two I add now.

Zagger
03-14-2016, 04:36 AM
Zags 85 - SHU 75
It's March and our guards are rolling. Our coaching, D, Dance experience and Hart type play win the night :)
Go Zags!

Coach Crazy
03-14-2016, 05:06 AM
We play a very similar pace. It's going to come down to who enforces their style more efficiently. We've seen enough dribble-drive teams to know how we have to win that game. At the same time, have a solid post presence and a consistently open entry pass option can have some similar results in terms of the imbalance it creates. And for this Zags team, having the ability to play inside-outside like that would be a field day for Wiltjer and company. Will also need to continue having elevated performances from KD.

I am interested to see how the young forwards from Seton Hall are able to handle defending KW? The dribble-drive from Emac and JP would go a long way in nullifying some of that approach.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2016, 06:07 AM
We play a very similar pace. It's going to come down to who enforces their style more efficiently. We've seen enough dribble-drive teams to know how we have to win that game. At the same time, have a solid post presence and a consistently open entry pass option can have some similar results in terms of the imbalance it creates. And for this Zags team, having the ability to play inside-outside like that would be a field day for Wiltjer and company. Will also need to continue having elevated performances from KD.

I am interested to see how the young forwards from Seton Hall are able to handle defending KW? The dribble-drive from Emac and JP would go a long way in nullifying some of that approach.

When we have five guys in double figures, we're unstoppable. Having said that, I look for KW & DS to have big games for us. Josh just needs to get through the opening minutes until the first TV time out. I'm sure he'll be amped up, first tournament game and playing at home.

Zags11
03-14-2016, 10:05 AM
When we have five guys in double figures, we're unstoppable. Having said that, I look for KW & DS to have big games for us. Josh just needs to get through the opening minutes until the first TV time out. I'm sure he'll be amped up, first tournament game and playing at home.

This.

gonzagafan62
03-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Gonzaga 82
Seton Hall 71

Mike83814
03-14-2016, 10:11 AM
538 shows GU with a 60% win chance.

Gonzaga 73
Seaton Hall 68

BULLDOG#1
03-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Wiltjer is going to have to have a great game for the zags to win. His offense will be key to whatever the zags do in this tournament.
Sabonis need to stay out of foul trouble.
Edwards will be needed... any update on him?

DixieZag
03-14-2016, 12:43 PM
We win.

We always play well in the first round and I think this team is peaking and mentally tougher than many we've had. The road doesn't bother us a tiny bit. Given that - and they fact that they don't go deep in their bench, either, I think we get by this one.

seacatfan
03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure how much of a factor this will be, but maybe? Obviously Few knows his way around the Tourney, and all the regular rotation guys other than Perkins got plenty of Tourney experience last year. Seton Hall hasn't been since '06. Not sure if their coach has ever gone (at least as a head coach) and same with the roster.

Okay, Willard has 1 NIT appearance with Seton Hall. Only post season for him. I think I read something about them having a transfer player (Gordon) who has gone to the Tourney w/ THREE different teams (W. Kentucky, UMass, Seton Hall). That's crazy! But I think he's the only one. So anyway, the bright lights and the big moment might weigh on them a bit heavy.

Reborn
03-14-2016, 01:34 PM
It's way too early for me to make my prediction, but this thread is a good place to talk about the upcoming game with Seton Hall. First, I'm grateful for being able to play them. Thank you Committee members. This is a huge challenge for sure, as Seton Hall is one of the hotter teams in the country right now after winning the Big East Tournament. They will be tough and athletic, but like SMU whom we have also played. I'm glad we have played SMU and also BYU if yu think about them. BYU is very physical (and sometimes dirty) in the blocks, and have a great player in Collinsworth. They also have great guard play. Playing these kinds of teams prepares us for a game against Seton Hall. Whitehead is an All-American kind of player but so are Wiltjer and Sabonis.

This is a new season for both teams. So there is no advantage there. But GU has more players who have played in an NCAA Tournament then Seton Hall has. And GU has a great history of winning their first game in the tournament. I think there is fear among some of the fans in ZagsNation because Seton Hall just beat two top 20 teams (one is top 5) in the AP poll, and just won the conference tournament. I understand that fear, but to overcome that just remember that GU has many good experiences when playing teams from the Big East. Teams that I really don't like to play are teams in the Big 10 and we wouldn't face any team from that conference until we play in the Sweet 16 (Michigan St).

I really like being in the Denver pod, and it is where I hoped we would land because I want to play Utah, and I figured that they'd be in this pod too. If GU wins Thursday they would play Utah on Saturday. I would love to see the match-up between Sabonis and Poeltl. They both in the final 5 for the Karem Abdul Jabbar award for the best center in NCAA basketball in 2016. I always like playing teams in the Pac 12 a lot. I hope we get this matchup in the second round. I think playing Seton Hall in Denver does give GU a bit of an advantage, imo. Again. thank you Committee members. As Few said, the Zags couldn't have expected any better after digging the hole that they put themselves in this year.

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
03-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Agree. We got a solid selection and I am happy with where we ended up.

vandalzag
03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Good spot, Zags are capable of beating each team this weekend. Zags beat SH and then have a close loss to Utah.

Section 116
03-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Regarding Edwards, on the local news last evening they showed the team as the GU/SHU selection was announced. Edwards was in the front row, attired in athletic gear (game shorts and shirts, that type of thing). The team stood and clapped and cheered on the announcement and I paid particular attention to Edwards who was in the front row. He had no braces or wraps on or around his knee and he had no trouble getting to his feet or standing. Don't know if any of that has any particular bearing on his suitability to play in Denver but there are no crutches, braces or wraps!

pbriz
03-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Regarding Edwards, on the local news last evening they showed the team as the GU/SHU selection was announced. Edwards was in the front row, attired in athletic gear (game shorts and shirts, that type of thing). The team stood and clapped and cheered on the announcement and I paid particular attention to Edwards who was in the front row. He had no braces or wraps on or around his knee and he had no trouble getting to his feet or standing. Don't know if any of that has any particular bearing on his suitability to play in Denver but there are no crutches, braces or wraps!

Physical Therapist opinion here: Assuming the initial diagnosis of a MCL sprain still holds true Edwards can likely get some run. He's out of the inflammatory phase and if taped correctly should be a go even if he is still having some mild pain.

Zagceo
03-14-2016, 03:26 PM
I remember seeing beastmode wearing a Mask on sideline once……..for training. LINK (http://www.trainingmask.com)

Seemed like a gimmick to me……

zagamatic
03-14-2016, 03:53 PM
According to the espn ticker, the Zags have a 71% chance to win per the BPI. Not bad as a 5 seed underdog.
ETA: espn just said that according to the computers the Zags have the best chance (11%) of any double digit seed to reach the elite 8.

zagsfanforlife
03-14-2016, 05:40 PM
I just dont see it.

I am the guy out of my friends who usually picks GU to the final four or winning it all. Having seen SH play the last few games, I just dont see us pulling it out, and have us exiting round 1. I see SH as a better version of SMU as of today. A team just as athletic, very good guard play, and a few more impact players than SMU. SMU beat us in a tight game, and I see this being a 5-10 point victory by SH. Whitehead is one of the better guards i have seen all year, Carrington is a very good, smooth guard, Rodriguez is a scrapper, and Delgado is really tough inside as well. Get Delgado in foul trouble and hope for the high altitude to slow down their guards. I hope I am wrong!

jazzdelmar
03-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Fresno could best Utes.

jazzdelmar
03-14-2016, 05:52 PM
I just dont see it.

I am the guy out of my friends who usually picks GU to the final four or winning it all. Having seen SH play the last few games, I just dont see us pulling it out, and have us exiting round 1. I see SH as a better version of SMU as of today. A team just as athletic, very good guard play, and a few more impact players than SMU. SMU beat us in a tight game, and I see this being a 5-10 point victory by SH. Whitehead is one of the better guards i have seen all year, Carrington is a very good, smooth guard, Rodriguez is a scrapper, and Delgado is really tough inside as well. Get Delgado in foul trouble and hope for the high altitude to slow down their guards. I hope I am wrong!

Coach Brown not walking through their door.

BBzag
03-14-2016, 06:04 PM
According to the espn ticker, the Zags have a 71% chance to win per the BPI. Not bad as a 5 seed underdog.
ETA: espn just said that according to the computers the Zags have the best chance (11%) of any double digit seed to reach the elite 8.

And 33 percent chance to reach Sweet 16, per BPI

seacatfan
03-14-2016, 06:17 PM
Fresno could best Utes.

That's what I thought. 14 seed seems like a huge slap in the face for them. Utah had been playing really solid ball for last 10 games or whatever, but that huge beatdown against UO was eye opening. Don't know if it's a complete anomaly, or cause for concern for them.

DixieZag
03-14-2016, 06:47 PM
I just dont see it.

If we played SMU on a neutral floor, in front of many of our fans, playing the way we did last weekend, we'd beat SMU.

Of course, the "playing the way we did last weekend" is the key part of that.

zagsfanforlife
03-14-2016, 08:47 PM
If we played SMU on a neutral floor, in front of many of our fans, playing the way we did last weekend, we'd beat SMU.

Of course, the "playing the way we did last weekend" is the key part of that.

Maybe, maybe not. But I think Seton Hall is better right now than SMU is. Even with Willard vs Brown. We shall see

Zagceo
03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Maybe, maybe not. But I think Seton Hall is better right now than SMU is. Even with Willard vs Brown. We shall see

Who wins if both team play great offense?

Who wins if both play great defense?

1st time coaches have 30%? less chance of success in first appearance in tourney.

Zagger
03-15-2016, 04:21 AM
Who wins if both team play great offense?

Who wins if both play great defense?

1st time coaches have 30%? less chance of success in first appearance in tourney.

My prediction of Zags 85, SHU 75 matches the Zags/SMC score for this very reason. I think we'll see two good teams in a good fight for the win. I give the edge to the Zags as I feel we just plain have more firepower and will be the more effective team.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-15-2016, 05:30 AM
Keys to this game are: 1) Which team can most effectively take away or neutralize the other team's strength?; 2) turnovers; 3) rebounding.

1) As good as Seton Hall's guards are, I actually think Zags guards have a better chance of slowing them down then Seton Hall's bigs have of slowing down our bigs.

2) Their guards are salivating at the thought of digging down and stripping ball from KW and Sabonis anytime they get it in the post. Our posts gotta pass out of double-team quickly and our guards have to value every possession....no headscratching, unforced turnovers please! *EMac, Perkins, KD and Melson gotta make them pay for doubling the post by knocking down shots and driving into the lane for buckets.

3) How do Zags hide Wiltjer on defense? Seton Hall rebounds great because of athleticism and quickness...KW will have to stay in front of his man and box out.

CarolinaZagFan
03-15-2016, 06:23 AM
If the Zags beat Seton Hall does anyone know what time the game Saturday would be?

bigblahla
03-15-2016, 08:11 AM
All Zags show up....much to the dismay of SH fans....beat down first and 2nd halves as Zags make statement....or win by 1....will take either...:D

Go!! Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
03-15-2016, 08:16 AM
If the Zags beat Seton Hall does anyone know what time the game Saturday would be?

The last game again

BavarianZag
03-15-2016, 10:30 AM
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-march-madness-predictions/

This is a pretty cool, and as comprehensive a predictor, as I have seen. I am predicting a close game that we grow the lead to double digits by the middle of the second half. We ice it with composed play and hit our free throws. GU 74-66 Seton Hall.

strikenowhere
03-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Zags - 72
America's Armpit School - 63

Hall's big men pick up a couple of quick fouls and soon realize that Sabonis is the real deal. The Zags deliver a punch to the mouth by the second tv timeout and are up double digits. Meanwhile the Zags' inside presence more than makes up for the the threat of Whitehead on the outside, who scores a lot of points on volume on a poor shooting night due to McClellan & Melson battling him.

East Coasters are baffled yet again how their almighty NJ/NYC team got knocked out. I revel in Mike Francesa's tears and wear some Zag gear to the bar Friday afternoon, hoping to rub it in to the Hall grads at the shore.

kitzbuel
03-15-2016, 11:41 AM

We just need to roll our BPI out there against their BPI and let them have at it!
;)

sullyzag66
03-15-2016, 11:44 AM
No red unis and Zags win. McClellan shines.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2016, 12:15 PM
I'll dust off my prediction prior to SMC: simply put, Zags are unstoppable when we have five players in double figures. We also have good results when Kyle W and Rem combine for 30 or more.

Zags11
03-15-2016, 07:49 PM
2 days.

dan71w
03-15-2016, 07:57 PM
I predict a foul heavy game as the stripes "try" to control the flow.
we will beat them at the line, 81-74

Reborn
03-16-2016, 07:08 AM
Gonzaga 75
Seton Hall 72

Zags experience in the Big Dance helps them. I believe the Zags have found themselves. Seton Hall has too, and is playing really well, and that's why this game will be so close. Two teams playing really well now. This will be another fight to the end, and thank God the Zags have just had three of those kinds of games that we've won. Zags have also played tougher teams out of conference and this is important. There is a certain amount of comfort playing teams in your conference because you know them so well. It's quite different playing teams out of conference. I think Perkins will be one of the keys to victory, as this is his first NCAA Tournament that he's played in. I really like him, and will be praying for him to have a great game. He's come a long ways this season. It would also be fantastic if Melson can get hot from behind the 3 pt line. Only one more day now until the game.

Go Zags!!!

gonstu
03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
I worry that Zags are due for a 1st round loss. SHU has beaten some really good teams. I hope zags win but I'm not counting on it. I like our chances if the game is close late. Recently they've shown they can handle the pressure well. I won't like our chances if we get down early.

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Pirates 74
Zags 70

Think Whitehead will Steph Curry the boys.

ZagsObserver
03-16-2016, 02:55 PM
I will "guess" just the opposite:

GU 74
SH 70

Pirates 74
Zags 70

Think Whitehead will Steph Curry the boys.

23dpg
03-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Gonzaga 71
SH 64

bartruff1
03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I think (hope) that experience will win the day...this is the first time for the kids at Seaton Hall and you know how that goes...

75Zag
03-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Head = SH by 8
Heart = GU by 3

Go Bulldogs!

ZagNative
03-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Nate Silver's 538 win probability prediction: (http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-march-madness-predictions/)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UQxMSGCzShA/VuoA721sq1I/AAAAAAACom8/sn2NSq6Uj1AhmngG20tCeehuACTcCC7OwCCo/s391-Ic42/2016-03-16%2B538%2BPREDICTION.jpg

DixieZag
03-16-2016, 07:34 PM
I wonder if the fact that both the odds makers and the statisticians have Gonzaga winning, wonder if that embarrasses the committee at least a little?

I know, they're beyond shame, obviously. I'm watching Michigan v. Tulsa right now.

Reborn
03-16-2016, 09:16 PM
It's the night before the game, and I completely believe that our Zags are ready, in all ways. The Comeback Kids will be ready to take the floor in less than 24 hours, and fans around the country are going to be quite surprised and even shocked. The Zags have come together as a team and they are dangerous. We have heard all about Whitehead, but so little about Wiltjer and Sabonis. WE have heard so much about how great their guards are, and so little about ours. Let me say one thing. The Zags have played great guards all year long. If there is one thing the WCC has, it's great guards, and great shooters. And Gonzaga can shoot with the best of them. We have heard about the great toughness and great defense, and not a word about ours. Yes. The country is in for a surprise. It's not going to hurt the Zags if Whitehead scores 20+ points. The Zags are used to that from many of the great guards in the WCC. There are very few teams in this country that can shoot the ball as well as BYU and St Mary's.

My Question to the pundits is, will they, Seton Hall be prepared for a team like Gonzaga? Have they seen two players on a team like Sabonis and Wiljer? I don't think so. Butler does have a player who reminds me somewhat of Wiljer, and they have a tough rebounder and inside scorer like Sabonis and Seton Hall lost to Butler both times this year.

If the guards are scoring tomorrow, the Zag ship will sail into the the next day.

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
03-17-2016, 12:05 AM
I'm still fairly confident. Why not us?

MJ777
03-17-2016, 12:18 AM
GU 78-71. Go Zags!

GrizZAG
03-17-2016, 05:22 AM
SH Fans seem to think we in no way contain their guards. They believe they are quicker and Zags have never played against this kind of athleticism and skill. What do you think? I think they are wrong, we have played a lot of athletic skilled and fast guards throughout the year.
Zags by 3 and we win it at the line in final minute

Reborn
03-17-2016, 06:53 AM
SH Fans seem to think we in no way contain their guards. They believe they are quicker and Zags have never played against this kind of athleticism and skill. What do you think? I think they are wrong, we have played a lot of athletic skilled and fast guards throughout the year.

i THINK that whoever believes that certainly does't know GU at all, and I would doubt that they know a lot about basketball. Yet, these thoughts would be pretty typical of most fans that we play. I respect Seton Hall totally, and know they are really good. They've had a great year. I'm really glad that they are in the tournament, and wish we weren't stuck with playing them first. It does suck that the Committee paired us up in the first round because truthfully we're both Cinderella teams. You can easily see how the Committee wants to knock one of the Cinderellas out early; so we both don't go on to upset those Big Boys. But I suppose that because they are from one of the BIG BOY conferences that in some ways they really aren't a Cinderella team at all. I can see that they expect us to be a little engine who could never climb to the top of their mountain. Well. We'll see about that tonight.

Go Zags!!!

rennis
03-17-2016, 09:04 AM
This is a really tough game to predict. Both teams are really good. Both teams are red hot coming in. If I was impartial I'd probably give the nod to Seton Hall because guard play wins NCAA tournament games. BUT, our guards are not slouches and they should step up to the challenge. Gonzaga has to exert their will on the boards and score in the paint. Inside/outside game has to be on and Wiltjer has to get his points. First team to 75 wins.

Gonzaga 79
Seton Hall 74

ZagLawGrad
03-17-2016, 09:04 AM

I'd say they are not totally off base. Excellent guards have always been a problem for the Zags. But I think our bigs and tournament experience will be as much of a problem for SH.

stevet75
03-17-2016, 10:03 AM
I think our guys win this one.