PDA

View Full Version : No comments ???????????????????

sage
03-10-2016, 03:12 PM
I have not seen a single comment on the officials ? Is it because of the relief from winning and talk of that or were they good this time ? :lmao:

gonzagafan62
03-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Oh there were comments. Believe me

Plainsman
03-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Where Domas is involved, with WCC refs one could have the same complaint after nearly every game. He gets the crap beat out of him with few calls (refer to the play where two BYU players literally pushed him out of bounds and were granted a turnover for their effort) and gets called on the other end for much less than he endures. Brent Musberger even commented on the above play to the effect that Domas should not be punished just because he is big and strong. A nice way of recognizing what we Zag fans see all the time. Domas gets pounded, clawed at and bumped on play after play with no call and he brushes someone on the other end and the foul whistle blows. At least he has matured quickly emotionally and has learned to endure it. Kudos to him for that.

GrizZAG
03-10-2016, 05:49 PM
That elbow shot in the nose was inexplicable that the refs didn't review it. Also the one where MAC touched a player on the hips being called was a joke. Don't blame him for his reaction. Not sure which game that one was in, BYU or Gaels

sullyzag66
03-10-2016, 06:06 PM
That elbow shot in the nose was inexplicable that the refs didn't review it. Also the one where MAC touched a player on the hips being called was a joke. Don't blame him for his reaction. Not sure which game that one was in, BYU or Gaels

It appeared they did review it. They went to the monitors during the time out and the people sitting around me were speculating Flagrant 1 or Flagrant 2? I guess they decided it was "incidental" and called nothing. Hey, it was only his nose; he can plug it up, right? Which is what he had to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RenoZag
03-10-2016, 06:11 PM
I have not seen a single comment on the officials ? Is it because of the relief from winning and talk of that or were they good this time ? :lmao:

There was an entire thread on WCC tourney game officiating. It was somewhat engaging. Not sure why it was deleted. Don't care either. ( WRONG ) See post from BBzag below. . .

BBzag
03-10-2016, 07:09 PM
There was an entire thread on WCC tourney game officiating. It was somewhat engaging. Not sure why it was deleted. Don't care either.

There were two (at least) after the BYU game, both still there:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56417-These-refs-are-the-worst-and-that-s-saying-something-thread

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56431-Note-to-WCC-leadership

I had just assumed that folks grew up a little after the St. Mary's win, along with the team.

RenoZag
03-10-2016, 07:34 PM
There were two (at least) after the BYU game, both still there:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56417-These-refs-are-the-worst-and-that-s-saying-something-thread

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56431-Note-to-WCC-leadership

I had just assumed that folks grew up a little after the St. Mary's win, along with the team.

Thanks, BB. Swing and a whiff on my part. . .

ProVeeZag
03-10-2016, 07:47 PM

Yes, both of these plays stand out in my mind. There were several "touch" calls that went against us. I think the fact that the guys were playing so darn efficiently on both ends made the occasional questionable call (or non-call) less of an issue.

willandi
03-10-2016, 08:24 PM
It seemed like, in the SMC game, the Zags were cruising and then the refs called several fouls on the Zags. The one on Emac seemed like the SMC player lowered his shoulder and the called Mac for a blocking foul. Just felt like they wanted to keep it close and the Zags were playing so well that all they could do was call fouls.

hondo
03-10-2016, 08:39 PM
After the hosing the Zags took in the last seconds of the BYU game everything else seemed mild.

scott257
03-11-2016, 05:10 AM

They did review that. Two of the refs went over and looked at it, then they called the third ref over and he looked at it. I was certain they were going to call a flagrant 1, then they didn't do anything. Just before, and almost during the first free throw, one of the refs walked over and had a talk with Domas as he was lined up. I couldn't believe it, almost as if he was explaining to Domas that in the WCC they only make that call when it is against him. They flat out ignored the rule. It doesn't matter if it is inadvertent or not.

LongIslandZagFan
03-11-2016, 05:56 AM
Not sure "growing up" is any part of it.

In the BYU game at BYU... it was horrifically bad on both sides. I mean the one call that I can think of was what should have been a GU turnover that I guess the ref said the BYU player used the force to drive it out of bounds. In the Vegas BYU game, it was only moderately better... the point of my thread had more to do with the fact that it looks really really bad for the conference when you have seasoned professional announcers saying things like "In every other conference THAT would be a foul" more than once. Call the game tight... I don't care. Just call it even and fair. Don't think that is asking a lot of them.

23zagmd
03-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Outside of a 6 minute stretch in the second half of the byu game, I thought the officiating was solid!

DixieZag
03-11-2016, 06:52 AM
It seemed like, in the SMC game, the Zags were cruising and then the refs called several fouls on the Zags. The one on Emac seemed like the SMC player lowered his shoulder and the called Mac for a blocking foul. Just felt like they wanted to keep it close and the Zags were playing so well that all they could do was call fouls.

Plus ONE.

And we see it, all the time in the WCC.

U Zig, I Zag
03-11-2016, 07:01 AM
The BYU approach of scrapping, grabbing and raking across arms works for them. They were racking up fouls, but they flat out got away with it at times too. The SMC game was much smoother on both ends. As mentioned, there seemed to be a period where SMC was dropping the ball down low and Zags were racking up fouls from (?) forearms the back or being agressive as the SMC player was catching the ball. None of that was going to be called in the BYU game.

sage
03-11-2016, 09:12 AM
I was actually referring to the last game. There were plenty of comments on BYU.

TexasZagFan
03-11-2016, 09:28 AM
I was actually referring to the last game. There were plenty of comments on BYU.

SMC is not that physical a team, that's the way I see it.

77Zag
03-11-2016, 10:40 AM
I recall the SMC game, as I stood to in line to visit the porcelain receptacle --
The Gaels had 6 fouls at the 9 min mark and not a one after that for entire half. We never got to the one and one.

The BYU game was a complete mugging on Sabonis, the held ball calls were a joke...

needless to say, we overcame the refs. As I always say, "control the controllables" - press on and stay focused.

Go Zags!

jpn17
03-11-2016, 11:59 AM
For me the issue wasn't so much what the refs called, it's what they weren't calling. In the BYU game in the second half whenever Gonzaga would get the ball to Sabonis in the post, BYU would converge and just manhandle him and get a held ball every time. If you watch some of the replays, they'd get jump balls called when they didn't even have a hand on the ball. That's how bad it was. In the SMC game my biggest gripe was that the Gaels would run the high screen and they were often times not set, but I think they only got called for an illegal screen once the entire game. Those two examples really annoy me. This is basic stuff and these officials, who are supposedly the best the WCC has to offer, are consistently getting it wrong. I try not to say much about the officiating after the game because it really just seems like beating a dead horse. Gonzaga won, they played great the entire tournament, that's what I wanted to focus on. WCC officials are clearly in over their heads, but you see it every year so it's expected. Gonzaga is usually good enough to make poor officiating a non factor, which is good. It can still be very frustrating to watch though.

Zag 77
03-11-2016, 02:57 PM
There is a theory that if you tell all 5 of your players to all foul at the same time, the refs won't call anything because they will be too confused.

scott257
03-12-2016, 09:14 AM
SMC is not that physical a team, that's the way I see it.

I agree. I thought the officiating in that game was pretty neutral. Not much to get excited about.