PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Report -

77Zag
03-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Thoughts from Vegas –Mod move it if needed –

I’ve been attending the tournament since Dickau was a Senior and he went off against Pepperdine to win the Championship in San Diego. Each year has a special memory, but this year was pretty cool and will stand out, perhaps the best thus far.
Some impressions –

Zags Fans, they were abundant as ever. Even the “aging populous” holds their own at the games. It is wonderful to see all the fans. The faces of worry, anxiety, stress and the joy, finally, when the pressure is gone with the win. The Kennel Club was a bit scarce and not involved in the Portland game, what would you expect…kids in Vegas on fumes. I think you could smell the alcohol pouring out of the pores of the faithful few that endured the game, many left early to “reload” and venture to the club life. To be noted, the KC was growing with the BYU game and had two full sections for the St. Mary’s final – proud and loud. “IT’S NOT OVER, IT’S NOT OVER” – the final cheer. High fives throughout the journey with anyone sharing the Zag logo. Anywhere and at any hour in Vegas. Amazing, the “Hello” is gone and “Go Zags!” is heard all over the Vegas strip.

The Band – Proud of this group – they are professional, loud, focused and inspiring. Dancing to the other bands while playing, leading the cheers on opponent’s free throws, encouraging the crowd and KC. Not to mention, they play some cool tunes. Got to love any band that plays Led Zeppelin, showing my age. The band leader is totally in control and works every opportunity. They deserve a lot of credit as part of the Zag Nation. Great job.

St. Mary’s – I don’t get it; the Gaels are No. 1 seed, Co-Champions of the league and they could barely fill two sections are the Orleans. What is it? The California standard excuse…” we have some much more to do and enjoy” – Just don’t get why they can’t follow the team at least to the standards of BYU. We outnumbered them at least 80/20%, if not more. The BYU game was about 70/30% - we do travel well and have for years. It can’t be a financial thing – Moraga’s rent for a one-unit apartment would pay the monthly mortgage for a mansion in Spokane. Sad they don’t represent like they deserve. You have to feel for the team a little.

This Team – What a roller coaster of a season. I have to think this is going to be one of my best memories. Likely missing the Dance without a tournament win. Played the most intense hard fought two games after a rout of Portland. Edge of the seat for the second half in both games. Truly warriors. The BYU game was a slug fest and the refs kept it very interesting. The SMC game was a classic and may be Few’s career highlight. He made the right moves and worked our lead to perfection.

EMAC – can’t even say how much his story is the essence of Gonzaga. IMO, he should have been MVP of the tournament. He is a shining star and hopefully the newest diplomat for the GU experience and a true success story. He has been an inspiration for the team and all the Zag community.

Go Zags – It’s Not Over…. It’s Not Over!!

KOzag08
03-10-2016, 09:56 AM
[B]St. Mary’s – I don’t get it; the Gaels are No. 1 seed, Co-Champions of the league and they could barely fill two sections are the Orleans. What is it? The California standard excuse…” we have some much more to do and enjoy” – Just don’t get why they can’t follow the team at least to the standards of BYU. We outnumbered them at least 80/20%, if not more. The BYU game was about 70/30% - we do travel well and have for years. It can’t be a financial thing – Moraga’s rent for a one-unit apartment would pay the monthly mortgage for a mansion in Spokane. Sad they don’t represent like they deserve. You have to feel for the team a little.

I was thinking about this ... The only reasonable causes of this lackluster fan base I could come up with are that they have a much smaller student body and and number of alumni. I know we're small, but they're half our size. Also, I think it also has to do with the size of Moraga. It's really small. They don't have the non-student/non-alumni fan base that we have. Spokane is pretty wrapped up in the Zags. They don't have that.

Coach Crazy
03-10-2016, 10:04 AM
I was thinking about this ... The only reasonable causes of this lackluster fan base I could come up with are that they have a much smaller student body and and number of alumni. I know we're small, but they're half our size. Also, I think it also has to do with the size of Moraga. It's really small. They don't have the non-student/non-alumni fan base that we have. Spokane is pretty wrapped up in the Zags. They don't have that.

True, but that doesn't mean they don't live in other parts of the Bay. In fact, if I had enough financial strength, I wouldn't have left the Bay. It's amazing down there, in some ways. So, I don't see how Moraga-ites would feel inclined to do any different.

Zagceo
03-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Nice post 77.

77Zag
03-10-2016, 10:07 AM

Beach Boys - "Be True to Your School" -- maybe it's just not that big a deal at SMC? It's not about the size...

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Great Vegas report 77. Thank you!

I absolute LOVE the students serenading Zags with "it's not over" chant....same refrain after senior night loss and a fantastic chant to march into NCAA tourney with.

zagbeliever
03-10-2016, 11:31 AM

I’ve been attending the tournament since Dickau was a Senior and he went off against Pepperdine to win the Championship in San Diego. Each year has a special memory, but this year was pretty cool and will stand out, perhaps the best thus far.
Some impressions –

Zags Fans, they were abundant as ever. Even the “aging populous” holds their own at the games. It is wonderful to see all the fans. The faces of worry, anxiety, stress and the joy, finally, when the pressure is gone with the win. The Kennel Club was a bit scarce and not involved in the Portland game, what would you expect…kids in Vegas on fumes. I think you could smell the alcohol pouring out of the pores of the faithful few that endured the game, many left early to “reload” and venture to the club life. To be noted, the KC was growing with the BYU game and had two full sections for the St. Mary’s final – proud and loud. “IT’S NOT OVER, IT’S NOT OVER” – the final cheer. High fives throughout the journey with anyone sharing the Zag logo. Anywhere and at any hour in Vegas. Amazing, the “Hello” is gone and “Go Zags!” is heard all over the Vegas strip.

The Band – Proud of this group – they are professional, loud, focused and inspiring. Dancing to the other bands while playing, leading the cheers on opponent’s free throws, encouraging the crowd and KC. Not to mention, they play some cool tunes. Got to love any band that plays Led Zeppelin, showing my age. The band leader is totally in control and works every opportunity. They deserve a lot of credit as part of the Zag Nation. Great job.

St. Mary’s – I don’t get it; the Gaels are No. 1 seed, Co-Champions of the league and they could barely fill two sections are the Orleans. What is it? The California standard excuse…” we have some much more to do and enjoy” – Just don’t get why they can’t follow the team at least to the standards of BYU. We outnumbered them at least 80/20%, if not more. The BYU game was about 70/30% - we do travel well and have for years. It can’t be a financial thing – Moraga’s rent for a one-unit apartment would pay the monthly mortgage for a mansion in Spokane. Sad they don’t represent like they deserve. You have to feel for the team a little.

This Team – What a roller coaster of a season. I have to think this is going to be one of my best memories. Likely missing the Dance without a tournament win. Played the most intense hard fought two games after a rout of Portland. Edge of the seat for the second half in both games. Truly warriors. The BYU game was a slug fest and the refs kept it very interesting. The SMC game was a classic and may be Few’s career highlight. He made the right moves and worked our lead to perfection.

EMAC – can’t even say how much his story is the essence of Gonzaga. IMO, he should have been MVP of the tournament. He is a shining star and hopefully the newest diplomat for the GU experience and a true success story. He has been an inspiration for the team and all the Zag community.

I really do love Kyle but agree with you on this about eMac. He had fire in his heart and really was solid for all three games. Great kid who has embraced his opportunity at GU. Love him and think he will have a lifetime of success

KOzag08
03-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Beach Boys - "Be True to Your School" -- maybe it's just not that big a deal at SMC? It's not about the size...

Population of Moraga is under 17,000. And most people in the Bay area follow the bigger schools in the area (Cal, Stanford). I think the lackluster attendance is somewhat systemic, but agree it should be better.

GrizZAG
03-10-2016, 01:06 PM
The bloggers over on the Gaels board have this very discussion all the time. They do want badly (the loyal fans) to grow their program, build a new facility and gain some support outside of Moraga. They have many obstacles and none more than the commute to get to Moraga for games and of course so many other venues to compete with. I feel for them and wish we could help in some way. They have a coach worthy of much more for certain. While our story is an amazing one in some ways their's is just as amazing given what they have to work with and the quality players that end up there.

Mojo13
03-10-2016, 01:15 PM
What is it? The California standard excuse…” we have some much more to do and enjoy”

Having moved from the PacNW to Socal there is allot of truth to this comment. I just don't follow the teams of my youth with the same passion as there are too many distractions. I don't spend my weekends in front of the TV when it is 72 degree and sunny in January. Just can't do it. It is a psychological issue that goes back to my youth routinely getting kicked out of the house by mom on sunny days to play outside. As an adult you are just overcome with guilt being inside on a sunny day...which seems to be year round here. I'd rather be fishing, golfing, surfing, hanging at the beach...or playing ball outside.

Plus it is so spread out here...too many people from too many places...it is tough to find friends who have passion for the same teams with you. I'm in the LA area...there is probably 20 schools within a 45 min drive of me. Plus all the pro teams as well - many prefer the higher level alternative. Gonzaga is a college town with one team to garner all the sporting passion of 500K people. It is like the passion for the Canucks in Vancouver or Flames in Calgary. Imagine a city the size of Denver with one pro sports team. The city would be nutso for them.

There are just too many other distractions in SF/LA/SD...sports distractions and otherwise.

Bogozags
03-10-2016, 02:36 PM
77 that was a GREAT Post!

I hate to say it but those are the reasons no other school, outside of BYU travels well...LMU and Pepperdine are the closest and they together don't fill up a section. I was sitting next to UN Reno grad and she was amazed at how many GU fans were in the building.

It would be curious to see how many SDSt fans drive up from San Diego or how many fans come from Albuquerque or Boise or Reno to watch the MWC Tournament at the Mack? I doubt they have anywhere near the number we had...

How many UDub, Cal, Stanford, AZ, ASU, Utah, Colorado, UCLA, USC, UO or OSU fans come to the P12 tourney...I doubt they have 5-7K and these are Power Conference schools...

It's easier to watch on TV...we traveled from South Carolina and doubt you will find one person from here at the P12 tourney...

It is sad that these schools can't get the support we give to GU but then, that is what makes GU a really special school with an outstanding basketball program (mens & women). The bigger question is how the heck did we keep Coach Few? I bet there are at least 20 top coaches at Power Conference schools that would gladly trade places with Coach Few and inherit what he has built in this one-team community!

But again it is sad because SMC deserved more...

Section 116
03-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Since the thread title is Las Vegas report, I'll offer this. While standing in the TSA line yesterday on my way back to Spokane, purely by chance directly behind me was an SMC fan in proper Gael attire. I told him I was really not looking forward to facing Emmett Naar for the next three seasons. Almost in the same breath his immediate reply was, "I sure hope Sabonis goes pro after this season"! We had a fairly pleasant post game discussion following that initial exchange as we worked our way through the TSA line for the next half hour or so.

77Zag
03-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Since the thread title is Las Vegas report, I'll offer this. While standing in the TSA line yesterday on my way back to Spokane, purely by chance directly behind me was an SMC fan in proper Gael attire. I told him I was really not looking forward to facing Emmett Naar for the next three seasons. Almost in the same breath his immediate reply was, "I sure hope Sabonis goes pro after this season"! We had a fairly pleasant post game discussion following that initial exchange as we worked our way through the TSA line for the next half hour or so.

Another item I failed to mention, we were lucky enough to be sitting with most of GU family for the Portland and BYU games. Mr. Arvydas Sabonis and family were sitting directly across the isle from me...Norm Few, with his bag of Tootsie Pops, Marci, the kids, etc. Unfortunately, they were moved directly across the arena for the final vs. SMC. I was going to approach Arvydas as an elder wise man and give him some advice, " Your child, Domantas, needs to stay in school. Education first!" Perhaps I'll have the same chance next year. :)

jazzdelmar
03-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Having moved from the PacNW to Socal there is allot of truth to this comment. I just don't follow the teams of my youth with the same passion as there are too many distractions. I don't spend my weekends in front of the TV when it is 72 degree and sunny in January. Just can't do it. It is a psychological issue that goes back to my youth routinely getting kicked out of the house by mom on sunny days to play outside. As an adult you are just overcome with guilt being inside on a sunny day...which seems to be year round here. I'd rather be fishing, golfing, surfing, hanging at the beach...or playing ball outside.

Plus it is so spread out here...too many people from too many places...it is tough to find friends who have passion for the same teams with you. I'm in the LA area...there is probably 20 schools within a 45 min drive of me. Plus all the pro teams as well - many prefer the higher level alternative. Gonzaga is a college town with one team to garner all the sporting passion of 500K people. It is like the passion for the Canucks in Vancouver or Flames in Calgary. Imagine a city the size of Denver with one pro sports team. The city would be nutso for them.

There are just too many other distractions in SF/LA/SD...sports distractions and otherwise.

Amen. Another day in paradise. Tomorrow too.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2016, 03:29 PM

TSA Precheck.

GoZags
03-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Nicely done 77Zag ... saw some of the pics of you and your crew on FB ...

Some impressions –

scott257
03-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Another item I failed to mention, we were lucky enough to be sitting with most of GU family for the Portland and BYU games. Mr. Arvydas Sabonis and family were sitting directly across the isle from me...Norm Few, with his bag of Tootsie Pops, Marci, the kids, etc. Unfortunately, they were moved directly across the arena for the final vs. SMC. I was going to approach Arvydas as an elder wise man and give him some advice, " Your child, Domantas, needs to stay in school. Education first!" Perhaps I'll have the same chance next year. :)

Norm should start getting royalties from Tootsie Pop. I went down to visit with him and Barbara before the start of the St. Mary's game and he made sure that my wife and I both had a tootsie pop before we left and went to our seats. If I remember correctly, those tootsie pops were suggested by Mark to cut down on some of his Dad's in game comments. Anyway, when we went to our seats, one of the Gonzaga fans in front of us was carrying a bag of tootsie pops and was offering them out to other fans in the area. I saved my "Norm Few tootsie pop" for the second half of the game, and I can confirm, it did significantly impede my ability to be vocal until I just crunched it.

Section 116
03-10-2016, 04:00 PM

Some impressions –

TSA Precheck.

The wife got it randomly. She was nice to me though, she waited!

gonzagafan62
03-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Norm should start getting royalties from Tootsie Pop. I went down to visit with him and Barbara before the start of the St. Mary's game and he made sure that my wife and I both had a tootsie pop before we left and went to our seats. If I remember correctly, those tootsie pops were suggested by Mark to cut down on some of his Dad's in game comments. Anyway, when we went to our seats, one of the Gonzaga fans in front of us was carrying a bag of tootsie pops and was offering them out to other fans in the area. I saved my "Norm Few tootsie pop" for the second half of the game, and I can confirm, it did significantly impede my ability to be vocal until I just crunched it.

One of the funniest non whoohoo posts I've read

sylean
03-10-2016, 04:04 PM
at times Kyle W.looked lost....but Emac....he was front and center on every play...or so it seemed....I said this after the BYU game and again after the St. Mary's game....he was our dynamic leader both nights...he was the difference....that, and our bigs not getting into foul trouble.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2016, 05:02 PM
at times Kyle W.looked lost....but Emac....he was front and center on every play...or so it seemed....I said this after the BYU game and again after the St. Mary's game....he was our dynamic leader both nights...he was the difference....that, and our bigs not getting into foul trouble.

Would have been an enlightened MVP pick

RenoZag
03-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Would have been an enlightened MVP pick

Not sure who did the balloting on that award, but I honestly thought Eric or Domantas would be the tourney's MOP. Maybe it was a very close vote between the three Zags and KW won by a nose.

They all showed great heart and grit so it's hard to quibble with the outcome.

Sure glad I haven't given a minute's thought to the dreaded "bubble."

RenoZag
03-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Probably not the GIAG poster who chimed in ( during the BYU game ) with :

..nothing, nothing beats the sight of a stunned silent Zag fan. Disappointment, get used to it.

TrueLiz
03-11-2016, 06:56 AM
I have unfortunately not been able to attend the WCC Tournament since the first year it was in Vegas, but I had pleasant conversations with fans from various schools during that weekend (when it was still Fri-Mon). I found it funny though when a group of 30+ SMC fans (adults, not students) were heckling any Zags fans that walked by them (including me) during their semifinal game vs Portland, which was after GU's game. Then after both games were done I ran into a small part of that same group waiting for the elevators at the Orleans hotel, and they were really friendly, as we talked about Patty Mills returning from the broken hand and what their NCAA chances were if they didn't beat the Zags. I said they probably were in the NIT if they didn't win (which they were, including playing Steph Curry and Davidson at McKeon), and they agreed. Totally different behavior in a small group compared to a larger crowd, but I guess that just veered into sociology & psychology rather than basketball. Sorry. Anyway, it seemed like SMC had many more fans in attendance in 2009 than they did now, but maybe it was a different perspective watching on TV. If anyone was there in '09 & now, did it seem like their crowd shrunk?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reborn
03-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Great Thread, and great post '77. Thanks for a great read this morning. This is better than reading the newspaper.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
03-11-2016, 08:35 AM
TSA Precheck.

That's about the only benefit I received from my current employer. It's a big deal when you're flying out of Atlanta, surprisingly not so much coming out of DFW.

Love would be a piece of cake...my son works for the TSA at that airport, though he'll likely be moving on in the near future, whether it be for a promotion, or a position with another law enforcement agency.

LoveMyZags
03-11-2016, 09:05 AM
As a Bay Area native and currently living in San Francisco, SMC has a LOT to compete with. Not only do they have 2 Pac12 teams to compete with in Stanford and Cal (who's alumni reaches are large and rich) they also have professional sports teams to compete with. Currently they are competing for air time with the Warriors - the greatest story in sports right now. They are a tiny school in a HUGE bay. As much as I loathe them, it would be nice to see more of them at events like the WCC Tournament, but it is hard for them to garner the support when there are more fascinating things to pay attention to. It is easy for us Zags to forget that Spokane is a bubble for one team - think about it, WSU is even second fiddle in Spokane. The support of the community, city and surrounding area is unparalleled. It is nearly impossible to recreate anywhere, and really unlikely in Moraga.