PDA

View Full Version : What a great journey it's been this year so far.

Reborn
03-10-2016, 07:07 AM
And "The best is yet to come."

What a great ride it's been this year as I've followed the team on the road to the tourney of basketball madness. It has certainly been a rocky one. I believe we are still THE LITTLE ENGINE WHO COULD. In the early years up to 1999 the hill the little engine was trying to climb was always a hill leading to the NCAA Tournament. In '99 the Little Engine began to conquer that hill, and for 18 years Gonzaga has found a way to make it to the top of that very difficult hill every year, and this year may have been the most dangerous attempt. There were definitely a good number of traps along the way that were difficult to avoid, and Gonzaga had to work it's way through them precariously. But they did. And there were definitely a couple of times that it felt like the Little Engine had hit a land mine and at the time it felt that the injuries were too severe to continue up the hill. It seemed like for the first time in 18 attempts that the Little Engine was not going to make it up that hill. The immediate disappointment that that thought gave me was really really really sad. And I know that many people, including myself, began to pray for the TEAM. We prayed and prayed and prayed until our knees felt bruised, and suddenly it seemed like a miracle began to happen. That Little Engine fired back up, and slowly began to go up the last leg of the HILL. The Zags once again found something inside themselves that lit that fire that they seemed to have lost, and they came back to life and started chugging up that hill again. And the last four days of the fight to get there, to the top of the hill, were the most amazing days of that journey that I have seen in 18 years. It was beautiful. It was amazing. And the last game against St Mary's was just so amazing that it really did seem like a miracle had happened. The team played like I had never seen before. It was one of those PERFECT GAMES and when THEY reached the top cheering in Zag Nation was so loud I had to go inside and find some ear plugs. What a ride it has been. Thank you Gonzaga. Thank you Zags!!!

But the journey is not over yet. There is another a bigger hill that that little engine must now climb. Its the toughest hill to climb and so difficult for a little engine to make it to the top. This second hill, and much steeper one, is the most beautiful mountain in the would. It's called Mt Madness, and it's called that for a reason. The goal will always be to make it to the top of this mountain but this time the journey to the top is magical indeed, and it's more of a joy ride than anything, even though the Little Engine has not ever made it to the top. And one day that little engine will make it there and we who just go along for the ride will never stop cheering. And we will continue to pray and believe because we all come from a place where ever citizen knows that miracles do happen. And the faith that we have in this team is never ending because as one passenger said, we have been raised on faith and born with the idea that it is good to believe in miracles.

In a few days now we'll be getting back on board that Little Engine as it begins it's journey to Mt Madness. I am filled with the wonder of a little child who is heading for that Magical Mountain where there is both joy and sadness, and many other feelings. The ride to that Magical Mt is the best ride in the world. I can not help but wonder now, every day what this ride is going to be like. I can hardly wait to get on that train. And when the journey begins, Zag Nation will cheer with all our might that Great Cheer of encouragement.

GO ZAGS!!! GO ZAGS!!! GO ZAGS!!!

Zags11
03-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Great post reborn.

I am excited as well but I'm also sad in the same aspect as we always have to say goodbye to some great kids.

MontanaCoyote
03-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Great post reborn.

I am excited as well but I'm also sad in the same aspect as we always have to say goodbye to some great kids.

Ain't that the truth. You get to thinking about our players as sons. They've got to move on and we know it, but way deep down don't you just wish they could stay just one more year? "Stay, just a little bit longer, oh won't you stay, just a little bit more."

DixieZag
03-10-2016, 09:58 AM
It has sure made me feel like a fool for taking bids for granted, and I certainly did a lot of years.

bigblahla
03-10-2016, 10:01 AM
It's always about the journey....the roller coaster of ups and downs....I have been calmer watching games this season than any season before....I've had much lower expectations since Shem's injury and surgery...therefore every win has been manna to me....what a thrilling year to be a Zag fan and as Coach said "All's right in Zagville"...

Go!! Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
03-10-2016, 10:18 AM
It's always about the journey....the roller coaster of ups and downs....I have been calmer watching games this season than any season before....I've had much lower expectations since Shem's injury and surgery...therefore every win has been manna to me....what a thrilling year to be a Zag fan and as Coach said "All's right in Zagville"...

Go!! Zags!!!

+1.

I have admitted on several occasions that my expectations for this year were off the charts. Then Shem's back went out on him. Completely changed the outlook. The ups and downs (though the learning process never stopped) of our guard play added to the angst. I kept telling myself that Silas and Josh would come around, especially Josh. He wasn't cleared to play until May, and he had to get back into basketball shape, while learning to play the game without fear of being injured again.

The way the team played against BYU & SMC tells me we can make another run this March. I'm stoked...

Zags11
03-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Ain't that the truth. You get to thinking about our players as sons. They've got to move on and we know it, but way deep down don't you just wish they could stay just one more year? "Stay, just a little bit longer, oh won't you stay, just a little bit more."

110%

bballbeachbum
03-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Great posts in this thread. The ride has been a blast. As satisfying a season for this fan as any in the last 18 years

LouisianaZag
03-11-2016, 11:24 PM
And "The best is yet to come."

What a great ride it's been this year as I've followed the team on the road to the tourney of basketball madness. It has certainly been a rocky one. I believe we are still THE LITTLE ENGINE WHO COULD. In the early years up to 1999 the hill the little engine was trying to climb was always a hill leading to the NCAA Tournament. In '99 the Little Engine began to conquer that hill, and for 18 years Gonzaga has found a way to make it to the top of that very difficult hill every year, and this year may have been the most dangerous attempt. There were definitely a good number of traps along the way that were difficult to avoid, and Gonzaga had to work it's way through them precariously. But they did. And there were definitely a couple of times that it felt like the Little Engine had hit a land mine and at the time it felt that the injuries were too severe to continue up the hill. It seemed like for the first time in 18 attempts that the Little Engine was not going to make it up that hill. The immediate disappointment that that thought gave me was really really really sad. And I know that many people, including myself, began to pray for the TEAM. We prayed and prayed and prayed until our knees felt bruised, and suddenly it seemed like a miracle began to happen. That Little Engine fired back up, and slowly began to go up the last leg of the HILL. The Zags once again found something inside themselves that lit that fire that they seemed to have lost, and they came back to life and started chugging up that hill again. And the last four days of the fight to get there, to the top of the hill, were the most amazing days of that journey that I have seen in 18 years. It was beautiful. It was amazing. And the last game against St Mary's was just so amazing that it really did seem like a miracle had happened. The team played like I had never seen before. It was one of those PERFECT GAMES and when THEY reached the top cheering in Zag Nation was so loud I had to go inside and find some ear plugs. What a ride it has been. Thank you Gonzaga. Thank you Zags!!!

But the journey is not over yet. There is another a bigger hill that that little engine must now climb. Its the toughest hill to climb and so difficult for a little engine to make it to the top. This second hill, and much steeper one, is the most beautiful mountain in the would. It's called Mt Madness, and it's called that for a reason. The goal will always be to make it to the top of this mountain but this time the journey to the top is magical indeed, and it's more of a joy ride than anything, even though the Little Engine has not ever made it to the top. And one day that little engine will make it there and we who just go along for the ride will never stop cheering. And we will continue to pray and believe because we all come from a place where ever citizen knows that miracles do happen. And the faith that we have in this team is never ending because as one passenger said, we have been raised on faith and born with the idea that it is good to believe in miracles.

In a few days now we'll be getting back on board that Little Engine as it begins it's journey to Mt Madness. I am filled with the wonder of a little child who is heading for that Magical Mountain where there is both joy and sadness, and many other feelings. The ride to that Magical Mt is the best ride in the world. I can not help but wonder now, every day what this ride is going to be like. I can hardly wait to get on that train. And when the journey begins, Zag Nation will cheer with all our might that Great Cheer of encouragement.

GO ZAGS!!! GO ZAGS!!! GO ZAGS!!!

Well Done, and if we get the results we all want so badly you may me yelling all the way to Spokane