PDA

View Full Version : Tickets Available for MBB Banquet on Friday at 5pm

Zags_Fanatic
03-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Just in case anyone else might be interested, there are still tickets available for the Banquet on Friday. Should be a great event and I for one can't wait to celebrate with the team and fans.

https://ev7.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=GE&linkID=twgu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Zag 77
03-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Since it is a Lenten Friday at a Catholic school, I presume the menu choices will be:

Tuna casserole
Tuna Melt
Tuna and Macaroni
Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce
Fish and Chips
Krab Cakes
Clam Chowder
Pickled Herring
Sardine Surprise
Canned Alaska Salmon

Or, there is always the ever-popular Veggie Burger.

Zagceo
03-10-2016, 08:56 AM
For those that have attended prior banquets ……..I assume they allow camera's? Yes/No

Lewey
03-10-2016, 07:11 PM
For those that have attended prior banquets ..I assume they allow camera's? Yes/No

Yes they do. They typically give some time after dinner for the team to go around and meet people. You can get autographs and your picture taken with the guys. They aren't all in one line, you just go around and find them where you can.

hondo
03-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Don't forget the possibility of toasted cheese sandwiches.

RenoZag
03-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Hoping for observations from those in attendance. . .thanks in advance.

Zags_Fanatic
03-11-2016, 09:57 PM
It was really a great event. Fans, coaches and players were definitely on a high after the tourney. I wish I had taken down some notes and exact quotes, but here are a few observations for Reno et al:

1) The format is pretty cool: a social from 5-6, Tom Hudson gave a brief welcome then dinner from 6-7 (there was some great prime rib for all of the non-catholics :)), following dinner the players visited with the fans for autographs and pictures. A really nice poster was given to each attendee for autographs, no outside items are allowed. Players were extremely friendly and took their time to speak to everyone. Following the meet and greet there were speeches by Mark Few and each of the seniors (E-Mac, Wiltjer and Dranginis). All-in-all a great banquet, well worth the $75/plate in my opinion.

2) Coach Few was ecstatic about what the team has accomplished this season, labeled it as the best experience of his career. Made a few comments about how distracting HBO has been over the last 5 months and how much he looks forward to getting them "out of his rear" on Monday. It was clear that he is really riding the wave right now and feels like the team is peaking and ready to make some noise in the tourney.

3) McClellan was introduced by Coach Lloyd and spoke mostly about his redemption. Lloyd gave some back story about meeting with Eric in Michigan while recruiting him and how many hoops both Eric and GU jumped through to make sure that he was ready for a second chance. Eric spoke for 20-25 minutes as well thanking everybody that helped him succeed. It was essentially a longform version of his instagram post with impressions of each of the coaches to keep it light.

4) Wiltjer was introduced by Coach Few who rehashed the story about losing him to Coach Cal on one phone call and then receiving the text after he came back from China. He spoke about how selfless, hardworking and humble Wiltjer has been throughout the whole experience. The thing that stuck out to me the most from the whole evening was Wiltjer saying that the WCC tournament was the HIGHLIGHT of his basketball career, that it surpassed winning the NCAA tournament as a freshman because of the adversity the team faced and how they built it together. It was awesome to hear how much those wins meant to him and this team and meant a lot coming from a young man with a championship ring and multiple national accolades and magazine covers.

5) Last up was Dranginis introduced by Coach Michaelson who gushed about Draino's presence on the team and the fact that he is a winner. He will do anything and accept any role that will help get Ws, even if it is getting down and doing the dirty work that doesn't show up in the box score. Dranginis was very complimentary of his teammates and the program and spoke candidly about how he went through a phase where he easily could have been kicked off of the team but the coaches took the opposite approach and brought him even closer and mentored him to help him become a greater teammate and person. He finished it off with an E-Macesque declaration that this team isn't done yet and that there is still work to be done in the tourney.

There were no definitive answers about whether or not Karnowski will be back next year, but he also didn't give a speech with the other seniors and I got the impression that he is leaning towards coming back.

RenoZag
03-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the great write-up, Zags_Fanatic.

:cheers: :clap:

Zags_Fanatic
03-11-2016, 10:10 PM
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w400/mbmanaus/d590bc78-8504-4ad0-8c74-638a92ffc0b6.jpg

23dpg
03-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Thanks ZF. Great write up and cool poster.

Zags11
03-11-2016, 10:24 PM
It was a cool event and ZF hit the nail on the head. After it ended sabonis and Pk stayed around forever to get pics and sign and talk to everyone. Eric did for a long time as well! Josh Perkins was very personable. Pk said he felt a lot better as well.

Zags_Fanatic
03-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks, everyone! Forgot to mention that Edwards was limping a bit but he said he is feeling much better and expects to play next week.