PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St Mary's post game thoughts

Reborn
03-08-2016, 07:34 PM
BELIEVE

Wow! What a game. Hope you all saw it.

Gonzaga 85, St Mary's 75...Yes That's right. That was the score. All five Gonzaga starters scored in double figures. Mc Clelland led the way with 20 points, and did he ever play a great game. 9-9 from the free throw line, hitting shot after shot in the last two minutes. AND THEY KEPT FOULING HIM. Wiltjer ws next with 17, and only 1-1 from beyond the 3 pt line. Yep! He only shot 1 3 pt shot. That is discipline. Perkins had 16 and played a great game too. And finally Dranginis got 13. He made 2-3 from the 3 pt line. Perkins hit 2-5 from behind the 3 point line. Zags only made six threes, but they only shot 13 for 46%. For the game the Zags shot 61@. Yep. 61. Now thats great offense. Almost unbelievable really. But it's true. That may have been the best game I've seen in a long time. I loved the last two games against BYU, but this was even better.

I can't tell you how great I feel, and I know that the team feels 100 times better. I can hardly wait to see this on the HBO series next week. Who would have ever thought that our guards would score the way they did. OMG!!! It was just crazy. Few and staff really developed a great game plan, and the team performed it to perfection. Yes! I do believe, and my faith runs deep.

I'll stop now and come back later so others can write here.
Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 07:37 PM
handstand cameo on HBO next week?

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:37 PM
NEVER underestimate the heart of a Zag, or the fight in the Dog.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:45 PM
handstand cameo on HBO next week?

...now if the Zags could make a run like Jim Valvano's 1983 NC State Wolfpack! What a good script that would be for HBO! I've recently watched the ESPN 30 for 30 show on that NC State team and it is SOOOO good!

RenoZag
03-08-2016, 07:46 PM
ESPN just showed Few's handstand on SportsCenter. . .good on him

CdAZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:50 PM
ESPN just showed Few's handstand on SportsCenter. . .good on him

Great shots from inside the locker room!

RenoZag
03-08-2016, 07:51 PM
AP Recap ( from ESPN)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400870572

LAS VEGAS -- Eric McClellan scored 20 points, Kyle Wiltjer added 17 and Gonzaga took the guesswork out of its 18th straight NCAA tournament appearance by beating Saint Mary's 85-75 Tuesday night in the West Coast Conference championship game.

Despite sharing the WCC regular-season crown, Gonzaga (26-7) was not a lock to make the NCAA tournament. The Zags had a few smudges on their resume, so winning the WCC would make for a much easier Selection Sunday.

They took the suspense out of it with a balanced attack and by shooting 61 percent in the latest installment of this rivalry. Josh Perkins scored 16 points and Domantas Sabonis added 15 for Gonzaga.

Saint Mary's (27-5) tried to keep up with the Bulldogs' shooting, making 12 of 25 from 3-point range, but will have to hope its resume is good enough for an NCAA tournament berth.

Emmett Naar had 25 points and Joe Rahon added 16 for the Gaels.

Gonzaga and Saint Mary's are no strangers to the WCC title game, meeting in the final for the eighth time since 2004.

The difference this time was the favorite.

In the past, it was always Gonzaga. The Zags have been the dominant force in the WCC and beat Saint Mary's five times in seven games with the tournament title on the line.

This season, the Gaels had the edge heading into Las Vegas. They swept Gonzaga during the regular season for the first time since 1995 and entered the WCC tournament as the No. 1 seed.

The third leg of this season's rivalry was an offensive showcase, the teams combining to hit 13 of their first 14 shots, revving up the already-amped atmosphere inside Orleans Arena even more.

The Zags gained some separation with a bit of defense.

Gonzaga didn't exactly keep the Gaels from making shots -- they went 13 of 26 in the first half -- but did harass them into turnovers that set up shots in transition.

The Zags outscored Saint Mary's 15-4 on points off turnovers and hit 18 of 26 shots to lead 43-35 at halftime.

The torrid shooting continued in the second half and the Gaels cut down on the turnovers, allowing them to keep up with the Zags in an entertaining second half.

Gonzaga used a mini spurt capped by McClellan's straightaway 3-pointer to push the lead to 75-67 with just over 2 minutes left and kept its cushion from there.

TIP INS

Gonzaga: The Bulldogs lead the all-time series against Saint Mary's (63-29) ... Gonzaga has not missed the NCAAs since 1998.

St. Mary's: The Gaels had eight total turnovers, leading to 20 points for Gonzaga. ... Evan Fitzner had 11 points.

Alum08
03-08-2016, 07:51 PM
This is the type of win that will resonate for the next 4 years.

CdAZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Probably one of the most satisfying 3-game WCC tourneys that I can remember. The pressure just intensified every game - and to see how this team came out and shot the ball against both BYU and SMC. Just incredible. And to think about the early games this season when these players would hang their heads late in games as they were being pushed. Not at the end of this season - came out with confidence and determination. And it wasn't just one or two guys - but the entire team.

ZAG65
03-08-2016, 07:58 PM
What a great win!! Mark Few is the beat coach in Division 1 basketball!

Birddog
03-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Probably one of the most satisfying 3-game WCC tourneys that I can remember. The pressure just intensified every game - and to see how this team came out and shot the ball against both BYU and SMC. Just incredible. And to think about the early games this season when these players would hang their heads late in games as they were being pushed. Not at the end of this season - came out with confidence and determination. And it wasn't just one or two guys - but the entire team.

Have to agree , this Tournament was very good and there was some quality, heady basketball played by the Zags. Congrats!

zags422
03-08-2016, 08:09 PM
What a great win!! Mark Few is the beat coach in Division 1 basketball!

He had a heck of a Tourney!!

Reborn
03-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Part II

Best feeling I've had this whole season by far. Better than last night but not by much. I'm still just so amazed at shooting 61% for the game, and how great our guards played. We all knew that they would be the key in getting us into the NCAA Tournament, and they found IT just in time. Wow!!!

Got to give credit to St Mary's. I hope they make the NCAA Tourney. They are a great team imo, and just shot lights out from beyond the 3 pt line. However, Gonzaga finally found a way to shut down their inside game, their attacking the basket on the pic and roll by the guards. I felt the Zags really held Rahon at bay. He was shooting lights out from behind the arch, but he was not penetrating at will as he did in the two previous games. Another huge factor was that Fiitzer did not kill us. Yes he made some nice three's, but in the end, he could not hit them. I think he missed his last four, and that was huge for the Zags!! Congrats to Kyle Wiltjer and the rest of the team for their really good defense when they needed to make stops at the end.

Best game plan ever created by Few and his staff, imo. And GU followed it. Wiltjer with just 1 3 pt shot, and yes he made it. Talk about discipline. The offensive game plan certainly seemed to attack the basket with our guards. And it worked. Zags only made 6 three's, and shot well (6-13 for 46% from behind the arch). Neither Wiltjer or Sabonis forced shots nor turned the ball over as they have done so often. GU only had 6 turnovers for the game...the best stat of the year, imo.

It was just crazy to see all the great offensive plays, especially by guys like Dranginis, Perkins and Emac. Melson needs to get back in the flow, man. And he will. He's got to be nervous I think. Oh yes! I loved Few's interview after the game.

Zag Nation is dancing in the streets tonight. Zag Nation is so proud of you all. Unbelievable tournament. Thank you ALL.

Go Zags!!!

BBzag
03-08-2016, 08:43 PM
...now if the Zags could make a run like Jim Valvano's 1983 NC State Wolfpack! What a good script that would be for HBO! I've recently watched the ESPN 30 for 30 show on that NC State team and it is SOOOO good!

HBO series ends next Tuesday, so won't really matter to them.

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 08:46 PM
8 SMC turnovers led to 20 GU points!

Game Over!

Nevada Don
03-08-2016, 09:09 PM
RB quote tonight in the San Jose Mercury News.

"Impressive. They've had a lot to do with us getting good. They put the bar up there," Bennett said. "I don't think anybody in the country -- you can take Duke, you can take anyone -- has done a better job with their program than Mark and the people at Gonzaga."

sittingon50
03-08-2016, 09:21 PM

"Impressive. They've had a lot to do with us getting good. They put the bar up there," Bennett said. "I don't think anybody in the country -- you can take Duke, you can take anyone -- has done a better job with their program than Mark and the people at Gonzaga."

Tremendously classy!!

(thanks Don)

Zags11
03-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Huge win! I have never been prouder of a team.

Zaga we did it! :)

hondo
03-08-2016, 09:43 PM
"Huge win! I have never been prouder of a team."
+100

zagamatic
03-08-2016, 09:51 PM
I can't remember a time when I have seen a Zags team play with so much energy from start to finish in the conference tournament. In my opinion, McLellan was the leader in that regard (no disrespect to Sabonis).
And now, they can enter the big tournament with all the weight of the streak possibly ending being gone. That makes this team very dangerous because they're a TEAM that has found their focus, their groove and their chemistry at the right time. Add into this that they can go into the tournament feeling like they're playing with house money and a relatively weak field and it's not out of the realm of possibilities to make a deep run. Of course, it can all come crashing down the first game too, such is March

CdAZagFan
03-08-2016, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the quote, Nevada Don... Very classy from coach Bennett.

zagirl2k
03-08-2016, 10:04 PM
This post from McClellan really got to me tonight. So very happy for him and proud of everyone in the program.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuPXUdI6Q2/?taken-by=easymcclellan

24m
easymcclellan2 1/2 years ago I lost everything. Basketball, my education, etc. I didn't know what my next move was. A lot of people shook on me.
I sat down with my mother and had one of the deepest conversations I've ever had. She told me, "when you think things are happening to you, they're actually happening for you." I was a prisoner of my own thoughts for a long time but through all that ####, I kept myself sane. I promised myself that I would correct my wrongs.

I lost it a little but through the mist, I found myself. God kept his wings on me and continued to guide me.
I was able to find a home in Gonzaga and through everything, it's been the best place I've been in my life.
I thank everyone associated with this university for giving me this opportunity to not all share my gifts and talents but to also, inspire, find ways to serve and love for all the abundance I have around me.
I took my wildest dreams and I mapped them out.
My brothers & I made history tonight. BROTHERS.

And as I share this story, I'm shedding tears because everything you put in your mind is real. It can & will happen. Just keep going! Please!
This is for the crazy ones!

This is for the marathon runners.

This is for the one's with unwavering faith and extreme persistence!
This is for all those who believed in me.
This is for all the love.
This is for you.
#laps #thankful #WCCCHAMPS ��

Zags11
03-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Thank u Eric!

GeorgiaZagFan
03-08-2016, 10:12 PM
HBO series ends next Tuesday, so won't really matter to them.

...then Zags could do something that would merit an ESPN 30 for 30 spotlight!

sittingon50
03-08-2016, 10:15 PM
This post from McClellan really got to me tonight. So very happy for him and proud of everyone in the program.

24m
easymcclellan2 1/2 years ago I lost everything. Basketball, my education, etc. I didn't know what my next move was. A lot of people shook on me.
I sat down with my mother and had one of the deepest conversations I've ever had. She told me, "when you think things are happening to you, they're actually happening for you." I was a prisoner of my own thoughts for a long time but through all that ####, I kept myself sane. I promised myself that I would correct my wrongs.

I lost it a little but through the mist, I found myself. God kept his wings on me and continued to guide me.
I was able to find a home in Gonzaga and through everything, it's been the best place I've been in my life.
I thank everyone associated with this university for giving me this opportunity to not all share my gifts and talents but to also, inspire, find ways to serve and love for all the abundance I have around me.

And as I share this story, I'm shedding tears because everything you put in your mind is real. It can & will happen. Just keep going! Please!

This is for you.

Has made himself a memorable Zag in a very short period of time.

Zagger
03-08-2016, 11:05 PM
YeeHaw! Go Zags!
Was that ever a FUN game to be at. Zags at their Zaggiest!
Also, SMC ought to be Dance bound. They are a very good team!

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-09-2016, 02:46 AM

Right on CdAZagFan...100% correct, this was a very impressive WCC tourney run from a team that had some real ups and downs this season. Now they are locked in and just incredibly focused, confident and most of all determined. Pretty amazing transformation.

The Gaels played some great basketball tonight and put a lot of game pressure on the Zags by making shooting lights out in the first half especially. I'm thrilled and really really impressed by how well Zags maintained such intense focus and determination to win in the face of a Gaels team that was pretty awesome in their own right.

Hey NevadaDon, your Gaels deserve to Dance and I am rooting hard for them to be selected. They play a beautiful game offensively and it would be fantastic to root them on to some upsets in the NCAA's. WCC is being treated like a poor cousin this season; I can't wait for Zags and hopefully Gaels to get their shot at some of the big name programs just to remind everyone the WCC is no joke.

jazzdelmar
03-09-2016, 03:18 AM
Randy will be top 25 next yr.

bigblahla
03-09-2016, 04:27 AM
Best game plan ever created by Few and his staff, imo

Don't mean to chop up your post "bornie" but that line stands out....what a defensive adjustment to the pick and roll of SMC....outstanding....commented to my son that the game last night was like watching two chess masters who knew their opponent so well they could search out the weaknesses to attack and then counter....SMC isolating Wiltjer was brilliant but Coach's countering in defending their pick and roll combined with our offensive output sealed the deal...a truly enjoyable game to watch from a pure basketball point of view...hats off to both TEAMS...

Go!! Zags!!!

zagfan24
03-09-2016, 05:51 AM

24m

This is for you.

Wow, that nearly brought tears to my eyes. What an impressive young man.

strikenowhere
03-09-2016, 06:08 AM
That was amazing

TacomaZAG
03-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Unbelievable focus from the whole team, but especially from the three seniors. EMac, KW, and Draino were laser focused all week, not going to let their senior year be clouded by being "the team that ended the streak". Amazing to watch.

I can't remember Coach seeming so proud and relieved at the same time, when listening to his post game interview. He made some great in game adjustments the last two nights.

I woke up so happy, and a little relieved, this morning.................

Guys, go make some noise of your own in this years Dance, add to the ZAG legacy in March!!!

Go ZAGS

bballbeachbum
03-09-2016, 07:13 AM
the Few handstand has been getting airtime on local morning TV, KCRA3 which is a Sacramento station. They keep playing it all morning!

bballbeachbum
03-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Few and staff deserve a ton of credit for the adjusted game plans against both BYU and SMC from the regular season games, especially on D imo
but key to last night was that the Zags never stopped scoring, key because SMC is awesome on O but weak defensively; had to make them pay for weakness on D and the Zags did just that

tinfoilzag
03-09-2016, 07:27 AM
FT - 21-22
3pt. - 6-13
Turnovers - 6

That is mental toughness. It took a season of adversity to get it but they found it in their last game of the regular season. It's been so hard to watch the mental breakdowns this year for a team so talented but fans got paid off in Vegas.

The team that gets us in the first round is going to wonder what they did wrong to deserve us as their opening game.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Rest the boys up... let Edwards heal. Keep sawing wood boys.

ZagOD7540
03-09-2016, 07:31 AM
We should all be so proud of those boys! What an absolute terrific effort in the tournament. We didn't give Portland a chance and the games against BYU and Mary were unbelievable. Every run those teams made to cut into our lead was answered by our boys. We responded with such energy. They played with so much heart. Congrats boys! Well deserved. These last 4 games have just been such solid efforts by everyone. Keep it rolling fellas.

DixieZag
03-09-2016, 07:51 AM
The most satisfying win in a long time, this felt like one of the upsets of old b/c I thought SMC played well enough to beat all but a handful of teams.

I didn't "think" we would win until maybe one minute left. I kept thinking SMC would come back and the pressure would tie just too tight. I don't think there's been a GU team with that kind of pressure. Not only beating SMC shooting near 50% from 3, but being the team that loses the streak? The pressure would be overwhelming for a lot of teams, but not this one - very special.

maroon93
03-09-2016, 07:57 AM
wow...how classy was that of Bennett

Zag_Dad
03-09-2016, 08:05 AM

What are you referring to?

Zagceo
03-09-2016, 09:19 AM
There was one moment…brief as it was …………could have been disaster for zags…..7:55 Eric picked up 2nd foul and could have been hit with a T for his demonstration of frustration IMO. I don't think the ref ever thought about giving him one but his reaction almost led him to strike the ref by accident. The ref actually grabbed Eric.

The call was really bad but Eric wears his emotions on the outside which can cut both ways sometimes.

Could be Eric used that foul as inspiration for second half performance

zagfan24
03-09-2016, 09:23 AM
There was one moment…brief as it was …………could have been disaster for zags…..7:55 Eric picked up 2nd foul and could have been hit with a T for his demonstration of frustration IMO. I don't think the ref ever thought about giving him one but his reaction almost led him to strike the ref by accident. The ref actually grabbed Eric.

The call was really bad but Eric wears his emotions on the outside which can cut both ways sometimes.

Could be Eric used that foul as inspiration for second half performance

I noticed that too...in my biased opinion a great example of a ref understanding the intensity of the moment and not making it about himself. Eric was frustrated but obviously there was no intent to make contact with the ref and he very appropriately defused the whole thing.

23dpg
03-09-2016, 09:29 AM
One of the things that really stood out for me during the tournament was how Gonzaga took the lead early in all three games and never let the other team come back on them. I would guess that Gonzaga probably led for over 110 of the 120 minutes that they played in Las Vegas. This is a stark contrast to how they dealt with being ahead in the early part of the season. This is a much more mature team now than it was in December.

Nevada Don
03-09-2016, 09:38 AM

What are you referring to?

Birddog
03-09-2016, 09:40 AM
One of the things that really stood out for me during the tournament was how Gonzaga took the lead early in all three games and never let the other team come back on them. I would guess that Gonzaga probably led for over 110 of the 120 minutes that they played in Las Vegas. This is a stark contrast to how they dealt with being ahead in the early part of the season. This is a much more mature team now than it was in December.

Somebody posted that the Zags led all but 4:41 (I believe that was the number) of the 3 games.

ZagOD7540
03-09-2016, 09:53 AM
The grit and determination of that team in those 2 games to not relinquish that lead when they were making runs was terrific. Everyone just battled. No one seems confused or got to that "panic state". We got hoops and made stops when we needed them

GonzaGAW
03-09-2016, 04:51 PM
my computer has been down and just now have the chance to add a comment or two

first, i'm so proud of the team and coaches, well done everyone. those last 2 games might well be the best played back to back tourney games they have ever played.
second, yesterdays game was near flawless. if they shoot 50% from the field, or 38% from 3, or 75% from the line, or have 10 turnovers, each of which nobody could complain about, but if any of those 4 stats were a reality they might very well have lost to st. mary.
last, it was noted they lead 115 or 120 minutes. but the marvel is in the byu and st. mary game while they lead 95% of the time, most of the lead was just a possession or two lead. yet they not once had a lapse in offensive out put. such lapses cost them game after game earlier in the season and once again would have doomed them this time around, but they stayed focused, and put the ball in the hole consistently.

i'm so pleased!

Birddog
03-09-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm still feelin' it!
http://media2.picsearch.com/is?bnw9pi8ak0gsdkiQoLAn2nE1T33Ycu_9pH_WinGLWYs&height=160

jim77
03-09-2016, 05:25 PM
That was some serious high level basketball last night. ..Perkins still scares the heck out of me with his ball handling skills....just love the energy these guys play with......it's almost like Mike Hart is out there with them. You can see the influence. We've got like 4 glue guys..:)

Reborn
03-09-2016, 05:26 PM
I'm still feelin' it!
http://media2.picsearch.com/is?bnw9pi8ak0gsdkiQoLAn2nE1T33Ycu_9pH_WinGLWYs&height=160

Thanks!!! I'm smiling!

strikenowhere
03-09-2016, 05:44 PM
That was some serious high level basketball last night. ..Perkins still scares the heck out of me with his ball handling skills....just love the energy these guys play with......it's almost like Mike Hart is out there with them. You can see the influence. We've got like 4 glue guys..:)

Hart on the staff & bench definitely seems to have some benefits!

Reborn
03-09-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm still feelin it too, Bird Dog. It's been a great day to quietly reflect on the tournament. The journey this year has been hard and winding, but in the end this team somehow came together and played like so many teams who have gone before them. Honestly, as it has been said, I don't remember a team who has played this well together in the WCC, and that's saying a lot. I just can't remember when there were five starters on a Zag team in the WCC finals who all scored in double figures. We all knew the Zags had to step it up after Edwards got hurt, and did they ever. There were just a whole bucket full of great shots that were made by our team. And honestly I was glad the game ended with a dunk by EMAC. I was so happy for him especially, because he knew he had a lot to do with the Zags losing @ St Mary's when he missed those two free throws. He totally showed everyone who he is. And the HBO series has help me see him and his leadership on the team.

I'm also especially proud of Wiltjer, because he really came through for the team in the tournament. I have never seen him play with the passion that he played with in the last two games. I felt a big key to getting a win was for him to outplay Fitzer, and he did. He worked his butt off this whole tournament on defense and rebounding, and although I'm sure he was tired he fought through and in both games hit HUGE shots going down to the finish line. And he never forced it like he has a tendency to do at times. He only took one three point shot and that is just unbelievable. He wasn't turning the ball over either.

And what can be said that hasn't been said about Saboinis. He is the BEAST, and like Few said the heart and soul of the team. He is the toughest Zag I have ever seen, and there's been many. This guy takes a beating like I've never seen, and he just shakes it off, gets back up and continues the fight.

We all knew that for Gonzaga to get where they are now that the guards would have to improve A LOT. And have they ever. And it took a game of their young lives to win. St Mary's was that good last night. St Mary's reminds me of a lot of the Zag teams from the past. They have great guards, tough guys inside, and a great point guard, and a great shooting guard, and they are confident. Randy Bennett has done a great job with this team. And they brought out the very best in the Zags. But on this night the Zags out shot, led by our guards. Perkins, Dranginis, and MeClellan were matching them shot for shot. One great move followed by another. In the end it was the defense, and toughness, and a solid plan by the coaches, that gave us this beautiful victory. It was the heart of hearts, a Zag Heart and Soul. And as Few said so well, everything is alright now in Zag Nation. The Zags shot 21-22 from the line.

We have a whole week now to enjoy this championship. And I plan on doing that.

Go Zags!!!

Nevada Don
03-09-2016, 06:05 PM
To state the obvious, Kyle, Josh and Eric played their best combined game of their careers. They were impressive last night (damn it !!)
Wiltjer and Sabonis did what they normally do, play great ball.

And this time for sure, HEART translated to a WIN in a very HUGE GAME.

Well done Bulldogs.

NotoriousZ
03-09-2016, 06:12 PM
To state the obvious, Kyle, Josh and Eric played their best combined game of their careers. They were impressive last night (damn it !!)

Well done Bulldogs.

I'll be rooting for your Gaels to make it in the dance, Don, they more than deserve it.

I never met El Voce, but you know he's loving every moment of this! I'm just so happy for our team. Keep it rolling, Zags!

CdAZagFan
03-09-2016, 06:18 PM
It's so nice being able to sit back and just enjoy the basketball being played this week without having to watch certain teams and hope for some to lose. Feel sorry for you, Nevada Don, and other St. Mary's fans having to sweat it out. I do hope you make it into the Dance - you deserve it.

Zags11
03-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Just am in a good mood. Thee boys deserve to relax and celebrate. I just been watching highlights all day. Go zags!

Reborn
03-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Well done Bulldogs.

You guys played great too, and brought out the best in us this year. Thanks!!! I really like your team this year. I'll be hoping for you guys to get in and I think you will. Glad Dickie V and Fran ect were calling our games because they had so many good things to say about your team, and in particular that you guys deserve to be IN.

BaldguyZag
03-09-2016, 06:29 PM

24m

This is for you.

Just jumped up several spots on my "Favorite Zag" list. In the beginning of his career it was all about him, and that attitude almost cost him everything, but the young man turned the attitude into one of gratitude. He's a great Zag!

Nevada Don
03-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks Amigo's.

Go ZAGS
A
E
L
S

jim77
03-09-2016, 07:38 PM
I actually think that kw and ds play better knowing they don't have back up. It cuts down on silly fouls...they should play with that mindset even with backup.

sittingon50
03-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Good article from gaels360

http://gaels360.com/

hondo
03-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Well written article. Best line "ESPN’s Joe Lunardi, waffled more than a line cook at Denny’s".
Naar is an excellent player and future thorn in our side. However some of his success driving against Sabonis and Wilt might be due to fact that with Ryan out and factoring in the bizarre officiating we had seen in the 2 BYU games neither Kyle nor Domas could play defense.

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Well written article. Best line "ESPN’s Joe Lunardi, waffled more than a line cook at Denny’s".
Naar is an excellent player and future thorn in our side. However some of his success driving against Sabonis and Wilt might be due to fact that with Ryan out and factoring in the bizarre officiating we had seen in the 2 BYU games neither Kyle nor Domas could play defense.

SMC's penetration, in part, was because of our shallow depth and, frankly, Wiltjs general unwillingness to get in there and foul hard. It's not a bad thing, he is more finesse anyway. SMC, on the other hand, just didn't play that great of D and we were knocking them down. It must have killed the SMC coaching staff as Kyle D hit his runners and 3, Sabonis hit no-hesitation 15 footers, etc. Couple that with our guys ability to get to the rim quite often. Just a bit too much.

I think there is more separation in the game if we have Edwards. Even if it's only to play like Mt. Karno and give some body to body contact on some of their drives.

gonstu
03-10-2016, 10:37 AM

Next year, Collins will block some of those shots. What will SMC do on offense against us without Wiltjer on defense???

strikenowhere
03-10-2016, 10:39 AM
SMC's penetration, in part, was because of our shallow depth and, frankly, Wiltjs general unwillingness to get in there and foul hard. It's not a bad thing, he is more finesse anyway. SMC, on the other hand, just didn't play that great of D and we were knocking them down. It must have killed the SMC coaching staff as Kyle D hit his runners and 3, Sabonis hit no-hesitation 15 footers, etc. Couple that with our guys ability to get to the rim quite often. Just a bit too much.

I think there is more separation in the game if we have Edwards. Even if it's only to play like Mt. Karno and give some body to body contact on some of their drives.

I think its going to be a whole different story next year defensively and that SMC's penetration is going to be greatly hindered by JWIII and Collins, both of whom are said to be good defenders.

TexasZagFan
03-10-2016, 01:24 PM
I think its going to be a whole different story next year defensively and that SMC's penetration is going to be greatly hindered by JWIII and Collins, both of whom are said to be good defenders.

If Karno & Domas return, practices may be more heated than actual games. There's only 200 minutes to spread around among the 13 we will have on scholarship.

4/5: Karno, Sabonis, Edwards, Williams III, Collins
1: NGW, Perk
2: Melson, Alberts, Norvell

???: Jones, Tillie, Larsen

Section 116
03-10-2016, 01:38 PM
I'll be rooting for your Gaels to make it in the dance, Don, they more than deserve it.

I never met El Voce, but you know he's loving every moment of this! I'm just so happy for our team. Keep it rolling, Zags!

El Voce was thrilled to death when Kyle Dranginis committed to GU. Dranginis is a Nampa, ID guy as was El Voce. El Voce used to tell us by the time Kyle was done he would be the best guard in the history of GU. Well, the legacy of Dranginis may not be as the best guard ever at GU but he was and is a stat sheet filler and I know El Voce is a happy camper!

Bogozags
03-10-2016, 01:44 PM
If Karno & Domas return, practices may be more heated than actual games. There's only 200 minutes to spread around among the 13 we will have on scholarship.

4/5: Karno, Sabonis, Edwards, Williams III, Collins
1: NGW, Perk
2: Melson, Alberts, Norvell

???: Jones, Tillie, Larsen

I have also said this and some how Coach Few will have to get each player to buy into the TOTAL TEAM CONCEPT next year...I know from talking to Zack Collins, he doesn't have an "ego" and from listening to Zack Norvell, he also seems to be a perfect GU player...Jones just has to be patient and Tille and Larsen are more than likely to RS...(just guessing)

TZF this is going to the a GREAT TEAM next year...four experienced guards and four experienced front court players...a great learning environment for Collins and Norvell...

I am still excited for this year's team and can't wait for next year either! It's like watching Star Wars I, knowing Star Wars II is just around the corner... :)

Coach Crazy
03-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Yeah, J3 is gonna cookie monster the crap out of those attempted dribble drive layup's. Especially if Karno is back manning the middle. As well, we'll have more polished guards, a shot blocker in Zach Collins and a very long 2/3 in Zack Norvell. Have fun with that.

TexasZagFan
03-10-2016, 01:55 PM
I have also said this and some how Coach Few will have to get each player to buy into the TOTAL TEAM CONCEPT next year...I know from talking to Zack Collins, he doesn't have an "ego" and from listening to Zack Norvell, he also seems to be a perfect GU player...Jones just has to be patient and Tille and Larsen are more than likely to RS...(just guessing)

TZF this is going to the a GREAT TEAM next year...four experienced guards and four experienced front court players...a great learning environment for Collins and Norvell...

I am still excited for this year's team and can't wait for next year either! It's like watching Star Wars I, knowing Star Wars II is just around the corner... :)

Let's face it, the Zags are loaded for the next 2-3 years, and hopefully beyond. The players we're bringing in seem to be of the highest caliber, and team first players. It's just taken a little longer for the pieces to fit this year. Emac has become the glue that binds us together. His story, and that of the HBO series, look to pay dividends for our recruiting.

Don't get me wrong, when I was there, we had quality people on our team: Reed Schifferman, Kenny Tyler, Joe Clayton, Greg Sten, Stew Morrill, etc. I roomed next door to Willie Moss my junior year...never a dull moment...lol. Who knew back then that we would scale the heights to our present position in the universe.

bballbeachbum
03-11-2016, 09:31 PM
SMCs penetration was by Zag design defensively imo

Nevada Don
03-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Next year, Collins will block some of those shots. What will SMC do on offense against us without Wiltjer on defense???

I just can't sit idle when this post about the "SMC Offense" and some of the others below regarding "SMC penetration" are so far off base and absolutely silly.

1) SMC's offense next year will do just fine against GU next year, even without Wiltjer, as you say. The Gaels offense IS THE BEST OFFENSE IN THE NATION on various statistical fronts. EVEN WHEN THEY DO NOT PLAY AGAINST WILTJER !!!!

2) Both Naar and Rahon have been able to drive at will, they basically flip a coin to decide who will drive when. No one player, Collins or anyone else can stop them completely.

3) NEWSFLASH !!! GU has some very good players coming in next year. Outstanding players on paper. Before you count all your chickens, please at least consider what all of you were saying about one year ago about how great 2016 was going to be, Final Four, etcetera. Be excited guys but nothing is a SURE THING.

4) HOTFLASH !!! Regarding the Gael offense for next year and how they might possible be able to score on the GU defense, please consider that GU is not the only team that RECRUITS !! The Gaels have 4 (3 frosh and one redshirt) Top kids coming in next year, one of which will blow by Naar and Rahon and your defense. His name is Jordan Ford. If the name is familiar, GU offered him but he chose to go elsewhere. The other kids are "stellar" on paper, same as yours.

5) just as a reminder, SMC loses no one for next year. Next year SMC will have only two seniors, Rahon and Pineau. SMC will still be one of the very youngest, but most experienced teams in the WCC. The WCC is going to have its work cut out for it from both SMC and GU.

6) PENTATRATION !! Lastly, Penetration, basketball or otherwise is not always a good thing. Examples and the results of which sometimes sometime post on blogs, including yours truly. :roll:

Go ZAGS
A
E
L
S

Zags11
03-12-2016, 12:32 AM
I just can't sit idle when this post about the "SMC Offense" and some of the others below regarding "SMC penetration" are so far off base and absolutely silly.

1) SMC's offense next year will do just fine against GU next year, even without Wiltjer, as you say. The Gaels offense IS THE BEST OFFENSE IN THE NATION on various statistical fronts. EVEN WHEN THEY DO NOT PLAY AGAINST WILTJER !!!!

2) Both Naar and Rahon have been able to drive at will, they basically flip a coin to decide who will drive when. No one player, Collins or anyone else can stop them completely.

3) NEWSFLASH !!! GU has some very good players coming in next year. Outstanding players on paper. Before you count all your chickens, please at least consider what all of you were saying about one year ago about how great 2016 was going to be, Final Four, etcetera. Be excited guys but nothing is a SURE THING.

4) HOTFLASH !!! Regarding the Gael offense for next year and how they might possible be able to score on the GU defense, please consider that GU is not the only team that RECRUITS !! The Gaels have 4 (3 frosh and one redshirt) Top kids coming in next year, one of which will blow by Naar and Rahon and your defense. His name is Jordan Ford. If the name is familiar, GU offered him but he chose to go elsewhere. The other kids are "stellar" on paper, same as yours.

5) just as a reminder, SMC loses no one for next year. Next year SMC will have only two seniors, Rahon and Pineau. SMC will still be one of the very youngest, but most experienced teams in the WCC. The WCC is going to have its work cut out for it from both SMC and GU.

6) PENTATRATION !! Lastly, Penetration, basketball or otherwise is not always a good thing. Examples and the results of which sometimes sometime post on blogs, including yours truly. :roll:

Go ZAGS
A
E
L
S

Tell your coach quit scheduling cup cakes and relying on beating the top dog.

sullyzag66
03-12-2016, 04:30 AM
...3) NEWSFLASH !!! GU has some very good players coming in next year. Outstanding players on paper. Before you count all your chickens, please at least consider what all of you were saying about one year ago about how great 2016 was going to be, Final Four, etcetera. Be excited guys but nothing is a SURE THING...
It's not over...

gonstu
03-12-2016, 05:24 AM
Don, sounds like you've got a lot of confidence that next year's smc squad will be better than this year's. For zags sake, I hope that's the case. Not sure why so touchy about the wiltjer comment? RB clearly saw that to be the weak link in zag d and went after it over and over (and over) with great success. Just pointing out that zags interior defense gets MUCH better next year - even without Mt. Karno - and that is a pretty safe statement - so that switch on screen and dribble drive should not be nearly as effective. It will be fun to play you 3 more times next year. As fun as it was beating the Gaels a bunch in a row, it is good for the conference and ultimately the zags if we beat each other up back and forth. Here's to both our teams getting better next year. And, yuck, I guess BYU too as long as their still in the wcc.

bballbeachbum
03-12-2016, 05:43 AM
Hey Nevada Don, not sure if you're talking to me or not, but to clarify, Zags forced penetration by running shooters off the 3 point line against all the teams they faced, intent this year to not get beat by the three ball, and were able to make it work by denying the kick out 3s which, because of dribble penetration, has been the bane of their defense since I've followed them. This season Few and co. took away one of those options, the kickout 3, although vs. SMC in the final mixed that up because SMC finished so many drives the last time the two played in the regular season. SMCs O is good, no doubts.

willandi
03-12-2016, 05:45 AM
2) Both Naar and Rahon have been able to drive at Wiltjer, they basically flip a coin to decide who will drive when. No one player, Collins or anyone else can stop them completely.

S

Fixed that for you! LOL

Hope you guys get in. You'll surprise a lot of teams!

Nevada Don
03-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Fixed that for you! LOL

Hope you guys get in. You'll surprise a lot of teams!

Hey willandi. It is looking very doubtful for SMC to get in. IT APPEARS THAT THE GAELS SHOULD HAVE SCHEDULED A COUPLE OF BETTER OPPONENTS !!! I WISH SOMEONE HERE WOULD HAVE SUGGESTED SUCH !!! :p

As follow up to my post, I think the main reason I wrote it was to try and get a laugh out of the "penetration" line. Plus, my cat and I were fighting and I am so lonely and worried about "not dancin'" come tomorrows announcements.

Regardless, 2016 was all gravy IMO for the Gaels so I am very proud of our young guys. For sure though, I'll have at least one team to root for in March Madness.

Zag_Dad
03-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Hey willandi. It is looking very doubtful for SMC to get in. IT APPEARS THAT THE GAELS SHOULD HAVE SCHEDULED A COUPLE OF BETTER OPPONENTS !!! I WISH SOMEONE HERE WOULD HAVE SUGGESTED SUCH !!! :p

As follow up to my post, I think the main reason I wrote it was to try and get a laugh out of the "penetration" line. Plus, my cat and I were fighting and I am so lonely and worried about "not dancin'" come tomorrows announcements.

Regardless, 2016 was all gravy IMO for the Gaels so I am very proud of our young guys. For sure though, I'll have at least one team to root for in March Madness.

Don... I think people on GU Boards have "suggested" it to Bennet for years that SMC need to schedule tougher non-conference games. Maybe he doesn't read our boards? weird If you could give us his number, I'll give him a call. :)

Lunardi's latest update, just shown on ESPN, has SMC as the 68th team into the tournament. Hold your breath. Hoping you guys make it.

ZagsGoZags
03-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Hi Maroon,
I totally agree, Bennett is a coach I have always respected for his coaching. I respect him for not copying BYU's windmilling slap and grab defense which somehow ref's can never figure out but which is effective. His X's and O's seem strong to me. I do not respect him for focusing his whole season and strategy on us in his cupcake schedule before conference - it is an insult to his players IMO, and that small world mind set when he has better teams than that, some years comes back to bite him. This is one year it didn't, but it is a dangerous tactic for any leader to put so many eggs in so few baskets.
By the way I notice you have only placed 22 posts. It took me about 5 min skimming-reading backwards to find your reference. An easy way to do this is find the quote in the post you select, click on "Reply With Quote" and then type your post. Hope you keep posting more ...

sittingon50
03-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Rootin' for ya' Don. ON PAPER, you were a 4th place team coming in. Randy has been sensational. You guys have the pieces in place to be pretty strong for the next few years.

Hope to hear your name early tomorrow!!

Nevada Don
03-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Thanks Dad and 50. Last I heard on CBS TV we were out. If we don't get in, we'll have about the best RPI that doesn't make the field. I know that RPI is just one consideration but most casual fans use it as a measuring stick albeit erroneous.

RenoZag
03-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Thanks Dad and 50. Last I heard on CBS TV we were out. If we don't get in, we'll have about the best RPI that doesn't make the field. I know that RPI is just one consideration but most casual fans use it as a measuring stick albeit erroneous.

San Diego State does not deserve to be in at the expense of St. Mary's. . .what would really suck is if the selection committee puts LSU in ahead of your squad, Nevada Don. Good Luck. Pulling for your Gaels to go dancing

bballbeachbum
03-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Hmmmm, can't say I hope SMC gets in. They certainly have a good enough team but why reward that schedule? I'm guessing my position will not be popular here.......

kyle dixon
03-12-2016, 07:31 PM
I agree. Same tune of Bennett. Great coach, but 25 wins a year against Davis, Bakersfield, Irvine, Sac St, and others is tiresome.....

ZagsObserver
03-12-2016, 07:50 PM
I agree. Same tune of Bennett. Great coach, but 25 wins a year against Davis, Bakersfield, Irvine, Sac St, and others is tiresome.....

I want to cheer for St. Mary's, but the schedule is just indefensible. Good team, but you can't play an OOC like that and expect to be rewarded with an at-large bid. It's become a tiresome habit of Randy's, and his lame excuse about the difficulty of scheduling is a mirage. So travel! You can't expect a home-and-home. The zags had to earn that over many years.

If Randy learns and plays a tougher OOC schedule he can count on me to hope he gets an at-large bid next year (becsause we know the zags will be winning the tourney). :)

MJ777
03-12-2016, 09:12 PM

On the plus side the CSU Bakersfield Road Runners just made it to the tourney. I agree, there is no way SMC should get in over Monmouth a team that actually played a challenging schedule. SMC's schedule was one reason I did not believe that the Zags could get an At Large if they lost 3 times against the Gaels.

DixieZag
03-12-2016, 09:17 PM
San Diego State does not deserve to be in at the expense of St. Mary's. . .what would really suck is if the selection committee puts LSU in ahead of your squad, Nevada Don. Good Luck. Pulling for your Gaels to go dancing

I will be physically ill if LSU gets in. Their performance today should embarrass them out of the tournament. Having watched them a few times this year, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more indifferent player than Simmons. All that talent and floats more than I would have thought possible.

The difference between him and Heigel when Oklahoma played at LSU was stark. I'm talking effort alone, not just that H was hot (he was) but just effort. He held his team up for a win, Simmons just sort of wore a uniform. Even Musberger and Vitale - always pro-college player - couldn't help themselves at pointing out that Simmons was doing nothing.

sittingon50
03-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Think I'll root for the kids to experience the Dance.

Coach's decisions/choices are a separate issue.

TexasZagFan
03-13-2016, 05:05 AM
I will be physically ill if LSU gets in. Their performance today should embarrass them out of the tournament. Having watched them a few times this year, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more indifferent player than Simmons. All that talent and floats more than I would have thought possible.

The difference between him and Heigel when Oklahoma played at LSU was stark. I'm talking effort alone, not just that H was hot (he was) but just effort. He held his team up for a win, Simmons just sort of wore a uniform. Even Musberger and Vitale - always pro-college player - couldn't help themselves at pointing out that Simmons was doing nothing.

If I am an NBA scout, what reason has Simmons given me that he won't be the same lethargic player in the NBA?

Birddog
03-13-2016, 05:34 AM
If I am an NBA scout, what reason has Simmons given me that he won't be the same lethargic player in the NBA?

Think about the "upside"!

Rangerzag
03-13-2016, 06:30 AM
Hmmmm, can't say I hope SMC gets in. They certainly have a good enough team but why reward that schedule? I'm guessing my position will not be popular here.......

Maybe this is simplistic (as opposed to simple) logic. Consider that few are perfect at guessing all sixty eight correctly. If SMC is shown as last out or number sixty nine, then if even only one of the chosen sixty eight is wrong, SMC is most likely to bump up and be included in the sixty eight actual participants.

DixieZag
03-13-2016, 06:38 AM

Because if they get in I think they'll win two, possibly 3 games and that makes the conference look better, regardless of what we do. Plus, I like the guys at GIAG.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-13-2016, 06:58 AM
Because if they get in I think they'll win two, possibly 3 games and that makes the conference look better, regardless of what we do. Plus, I like the guys at GIAG.

SMC is a team that could go from the play-in game to the Sweet Sixteen. Their offense is hard enough to defend when coaches spend weeks scouting and game-planning for it. Whoever draws them in Dayton will have about forty-eight hours to travel AND develop a game plan for the Gaels AND teach it to their team. That team will lose. They will then play a team that has seventy-two hours to get ready for them. If they win, they will play a team with less than forty-eight hours to prepare.

I hope they make a great run. I hope the WCC puts two teams into the Sweet Sixteen.

DixieZag
03-13-2016, 07:03 AM
SMC is a team that could go from the play-in game to the Sweet Sixteen. Their offense is hard enough to defend when coaches spend weeks scouting and game-planning for it. Whoever draws them in Dayton will have about forty-eight hours to travel AND develop a game plan for the Gaels AND teach it to their team. That team will lose. They will then play a team that has seventy-two hours to get ready for them. If they win, they will play a team with less than forty-eight hours to prepare.

I hope they make a great run. I hope the WCC puts two teams into the Sweet Sixteen.

Agreed. Plus, they can just flat shoot. Even without the complexity.

JAGzag
03-13-2016, 07:06 AM
I want to cheer for St. Mary's, but the schedule is just indefensible. Good team, but you can't play an OOC like that and expect to be rewarded with an at-large bid. It's become a tiresome habit of Randy's, and his lame excuse about the difficulty of scheduling is a mirage. So travel! You can't expect a home-and-home. The zags had to earn that over many years.

If Randy learns and plays a tougher OOC schedule he can count on me to hope he gets an at-large bid next year (becsause we know the zags will be winning the tourney). :)

I feel the exact same way. RB seems to double down every year with a weak schedule, a win against the Zags and to sneak into the Tourney. If I were a Gaels fan I'd be really frustrated. Shut up and travel. It took the zags what, 15 years before we "earned" high profile home games? Gaels want to say they're on the same field as GU, but RB doesn't want to put in the work.

GrizZAG
03-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Bennett wisely did not set a difficult schedule this year. He had some sanctions slapped on him and did not know with any certainty how good his new guys were going to be. He likely guessed it would be a good move this year in particular to not put them in a hot seat so I totally get that scheduling. As it turned out his new talent was amazing and yes they may have knocked off some good teams in OC but as I see it his decisions were good. He knows what he has now and don't be surprised if you see a much more robust OCC this coming year. He knows what he is doing. Additionally because of the facility he will have to travel to wherever those OCC games are. I believe the Gaels will have more difficulty brokering the home and home deals that the Zags have put together and that is a limitation he can do little about.

bballbeachbum
03-13-2016, 08:11 AM
SMC is good. Don't think anyone disagrees. Lots of good teams that could do well depending on matchup if they survive the bubble.

On SMCs schedule this year, with sanctions or no sanctions or new faces vs. a team of vets, schedue is very similar to years past so no pass from me for that; same weak OOC whichever team and players Bennett has ( and it's well documented the Aussies have played together before arriving at SMC)

I get that they are in the WCC and if they get in that's good for the league, etc. and I have nothing against those kids or kids from other teams on the bubble for that matter. I simply am against rewarding his scheduling

bballbeachbum
03-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Good post man. Very well could happen Rangerzag

mgadfly
03-13-2016, 08:50 AM

My defense would be this:

If team A is great by beating teams ranked in the top 50 but Team B is not great despite being in the top 50 (actually top 41 at the beginning of the day yesterday) the entire system makes absolutely no sense.

SMC's worst rating out of the four rankings we are supposed to be looking at is 41. That's good enough to be an easy at large bid. The other three ratings have them in the low 30s. That's good enough to have them wearing their white jerseys for the first game.

Those same metrics (and the famed eye test) are why we know all the teams from the SEC are better than anyone ever from the WCC. Those numbers are why some conferences get 7 or 8 teams in the tournament. Why do those numbers matter when they support the major conference but not when they all say SMC is a tourney team (easily a tourney team).

Schedule or not, if we are going to use the numbers, lets use them. And since SMC is only highly rated because of their scheduling (apparently) then we should add two bad losses to our resume and be a 16 seed playing in Dayton on Tuesday.

bballbeachbum
03-13-2016, 09:27 AM
My phone is not letting me reply to posts, sorry about that

But in reply to you mgadfly your defense is good and I can't stand the SEC or any of those Burger filled conferences that steal bids from deserving mid majors much like I don't buy the SMC scheduling defenses. I do think they will get in tho

On where the Zags have earned their seeding, a 16 seed or whatever they've earned; if they had not won the WCC they would have been out of the tourney imo having not earned it but instead they balled it up, sucked it up, won, earned it from a league that most agree was down this year. Maybe the WCC is a two bid league this year, idk

And since we all agree SMC is good and that we all like the WCC to earn respect out of conference, of course I would like to see them go out and represent in the OOC...that would be a huge boist to the Zags. They don't. I'd root for them HARD if they did. They could do fine in the tourney, like UCLA last year for example who did not earn it imo

Nevada Don
03-13-2016, 10:00 AM
SMC is good. Don't think anyone disagrees. Lots of good teams that could do well depending on matchup if they survive the bubble.

On SMCs schedule this year, with sanctions or no sanctions or new faces vs. a team of vets, schedule is very similar to years past so no pass from me for that; same weak OOC whichever team and players Bennett has ( and it's well documented the Aussies have played together before arriving at SMC)

I get that they are in the WCC and if they get in that's good for the league, etc. and I have nothing against those kids or kids from other teams on the bubble for that matter. I simply am against rewarding his scheduling

We get your point but you are at the point of being vindictive towards Bennett at the expense of players, fans, WCC brethren and your Pal, me, Uncle Nevada Don :D. Please consider giving it a rest for now and then we can start bashing him again next season and as sittingon50 suggests, "let the kids play" and as DixieZag said, "there's some good guys on GIAG".

Besides, if you are living in the Sierra Foothills, you should be happy as that is the home of Brad (Missing Tooth) Waldow of Pollock Pines, Ca.

Zags11
03-13-2016, 10:04 AM
We get your point but you are at the point of being vindictive towards Bennett at the expense of players, fans, WCC brethren and your Pal, me, Uncle Nevada Don :D. Please consider giving it a rest for now and then we can start bashing him again next season and as sittingon50 suggests, "let the kids play" and as DixieZag said, "there's some good guys on GIAG".

Besides, if you are living in the Sierra Foothills, you should be happy as that is the home of Brad (Missing Tooth) Waldow of Pollock Pines, Ca.

You guys do need a better schedule. You guys have a solid team IMO. You guys always seem to have a soft schedule and rely on beating gonzaga. It is what it is but don't expect people to smile either. Lol

Good luck and I believe your a 12 seed.

kitzbuel
03-13-2016, 10:21 AM
You guys do need a better schedule. You guys have a solid team IMO. You guys always seem to have a soft schedule and rely on beating gonzaga. It is what it is but don't expect people to smile either. Lol

Good luck and I believe your a 12 seed.

:horse:

Let's hope SMC gets in. It would be good for all of us if the WCC becomes good enough that we can generate our own RPI.

MJ777
03-13-2016, 10:30 AM

Let's hope SMC gets in. It would be good for all of us if the WCC becomes good enough that we can generate our own RPI.

SMC chances could go down some if Little Rock wins. LR beat SDSU and if they earn a spot then the that loss looks a little better for the Aztecs. I would like to see both SMC and SDSU get in, Monmouth too. LR is up 11 with7 mins to go.

DixieZag
03-13-2016, 10:31 AM

Let's hope that new influx of coaches brings a renewed commitment and ability.

mgadfly
03-13-2016, 10:58 AM
My phone is not letting me reply to posts, sorry about that

But in reply to you mgadfly your defense is good and I can't stand the SEC or any of those Burger filled conferences that steal bids from deserving mid majors much like I don't buy the SMC scheduling defenses. I do think they will get in tho

On where the Zags have earned their seeding, a 16 seed or whatever they've earned; if they had not won the WCC they would have been out of the tourney imo having not earned it but instead they balled it up, sucked it up, won, earned it from a league that most agree was down this year. Maybe the WCC is a two bid league this year, idk

And since we all agree SMC is good and that we all like the WCC to earn respect out of conference, of course I would like to see them go out and represent in the OOC...that would be a huge boist to the Zags. They don't. I'd root for them HARD if they did. They could do fine in the tourney, like UCLA last year for example who did not earn it imo

SMC has nobody but themselves to blame for their 320th ranked out of conference schedule.

But looking at the resumes between them and Monmouth (as of yesterday when I was putting my mock bracket together):

Monmouth 27-7, 2-2 top 50, 19th best conference, 67 KPom, 81 SAG, 86 BPI, 57 RPI.

SMC 27-5, 2-2 top 50, 11th best conference, 33 KPom, 32 SAG, 31 BPI, 41 RPI.

SMC had 199th ranked SOS (behind a solid WCC and a weak OOC) while Monmouth had the 167th ranked SOS (behind a great OOC but a pathetic in-conference).

Looking at the numbers, SMC would be the heavy favorite in that match up. They could have scheduled two top 10 teams and been beaten by 25 and they'd up their SOS and still have better numbers than Monmouth.

Zags11
03-13-2016, 11:12 AM

Truth hurts. Plus if they keep coming in to argue their point, IMA throw out get a better schedule. Quit worrying about gonzaga so much and win some games that are legit.

bballbeachbum
03-13-2016, 11:14 AM

Vindictive? Just stop. I've been going to SMC games since Paul Pickett was there and rooting for them way back when. I'll give it a rest when Bennett sacks up. Until then I suggest you get used to it :)

I do live in the foothills and it's awesome baby!

MJ777
03-13-2016, 11:18 AM
SMC has nobody but themselves to blame for their 320th ranked out of conference schedule.

But looking at the resumes between them and Monmouth (as of yesterday when I was putting my mock bracket together):

Monmouth 27-7, 2-2 top 50, 19th best conference, 67 KPom, 81 SAG, 86 BPI, 57 RPI.

SMC 27-5, 2-2 top 50, 11th best conference, 33 KPom, 32 SAG, 31 BPI, 41 RPI.

SMC had 199th ranked SOS (behind a solid WCC and a weak OOC) while Monmouth had the 167th ranked SOS (behind a great OOC but a pathetic in-conference).

Looking at the numbers, SMC would be the heavy favorite in that match up. They could have scheduled two top 10 teams and been beaten by 25 and they'd up their SOS and still have better numbers than Monmouth.

I originally thought Monmouth deserved to get in over SMC because of their respective OOC schedules, but I have flipped because of overall strength of schedules and Monmouth's many bad losses. Good Luck to the Gaels, I hope they get their name called by Gumbel during the unveiling of the brackets.