PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to SMC

hooter73
03-08-2016, 07:24 PM
I still think youre non conference scheduling is ridiculous ( ;) ), but you continue to show your program and our conference respect by playing a top notch game. In a precarious league, SMC continues its ability to push the best to be the best and step up when others, including GU, do not. They are deserving to go to the dance on heart alone, to say nothing of ability. Congratulations SMC, and thank you.

CDC84
03-08-2016, 07:27 PM
That's a NCAA tournament team. They could beat a lot of teams that will get at large berths on Sunday.

kitzbuel
03-08-2016, 07:28 PM
That's a NCAA tournament team. They could beat a lot of teams that will get at large berths on Sunday.

GU had to play two NCAA tourney quality games to get here. Great game by SMC.

zag buddy
03-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I really like the Gaels. They play hard and never quit. As Few said 3 teams should go to the tournament from the WCC.

gu03alum
03-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Much respect to Saint Mary's

I love this rivalry so much. I hope you guys make it as an at large team.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-08-2016, 07:34 PM
The Gaels are a great team.

I think they'll dance. Some poor BCS conference coach will draw them in a 12-5 matchup. He'll start watching some game film and realize that his team is in for a monster challenge. His team will lose. The poor sap who has to coach against them in the Round of 32 will have an even bigger challenge, because he won't have a week to break down film and get his team ready for that matchup.

Will anybody be surprised to see those Gaels in the Sweet 16?

jim77
03-08-2016, 07:35 PM
I really like the Gaels. They play hard and never quit. As Few said 3 teams should go to the tournament from the WCC.

Yup...should be 3 teams...love to see Byu in the play in.

maynard g krebs
03-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Congrats to the Gaels on a great season. Not a single returning starter. And they'll all be back, w/ a couple of additions. It will be a travesty if they're left out, bad sched or not. Vitale repeatedly called them the best passing team he's seen this year. Hard to disagree.

hooter73
03-08-2016, 07:43 PM
The Gaels are a great team.

I think they'll dance. Some poor BCS conference coach will draw them in a 12-5 matchup. He'll start watching some game film and realize that his team is in for a monster challenge. His team will lose. The poor sap who has to coach against them in the Round of 32 will have an even bigger challenge, because he won't have a week to break down film and get his team ready for that matchup.

Will anybody be surprised to see those Gaels in the Sweet 16?

You know, thats a good point. Depending on a fluke interior match up, when I do my bracket I wont be surprised to see them win two games.

sideshow06
03-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Much appreciated from a Gael. Would have rathered you sweat it than us, but this year the games were a toss up. We won 2 of 3 and you won the one that matters most. We'll have everyone back next year. Literally everyone. No seniors and only 2 juniors. So get used to us hanging around the top of the standings. The rivalry is back. Enjoy your storybook HBO episode. You're welcome for adding drama. Good luck in the tourney and see you next year with a chip on our shoulder.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Oddly, GU winning helped SMC's at large chances. I think they get a play-in game.

A tourney team, I think. I would say BYU too.

sideshow06
03-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Yeah. Now you're a Top 50 team and all of a sudden we have two Top 50 wins.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Much appreciated from a Gael. Would have rathered you sweat it than us, but this year the games were a toss up. We won 2 of 3 and you won the one that matters most. We'll have everyone back next year. Literally everyone. No seniors and only 2 juniors. So get used to us hanging around the top of the standings. The rivalry is back. Enjoy your storybook HBO episode. You're welcome for adding drama. Good luck in the tourney and see you next year with a chip on our shoulder.

I suppose you have no idea who the new Zags will be. We're adding a Burger Boy in Zach Collins, and two transfers from UW and Missouri. Instead of 7 players on scholarship this year, we'll have 13 next year. You're right, in that the rivalry is back, and that's good for the WCC.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Gaels deserve to get in. If they don't it's stupid. They are a great basketball team

sideshow06
03-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Oh I know about your recruits. Not to sound like a backhanded compliment but I definitely expect GU to be better next year. This wasn't your best and you still got it done. But I think we can keep pace.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Props to the Gaels. Listen... it is a rivalry, not a bitter one per se. Samham... couldn't stand the guy... but Delly, Patty, etc... respect. I have had beers with a few SMC fans... great people. Hope this rivalry continues... for a long time to come. BYU... well I don't like the coach, the team, and I especially cannot stand their fans... I'd rather see a BYU fan crying than a SMC fan.

Fix some scheduling issues and you will finally be there. Take that last step... join us up here. It will only serve to help the conference as a whole.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Oh I know about your recruits. Not to sound like a backhanded compliment but I definitely expect GU to be better next year. This wasn't your best and you still got it done. But I think we can keep pace.

Next year's games should be a lot of fun for fans of great basketball.

sittingon50
03-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Hat's off to the Gaels. I think Randy did right tailoring his schedule to what he had coming back. With a solid VERY group returning I'm sure he'll ramp it up.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Props to the Gaels. Listen... it is a rivalry, not a bitter one per se. Samham... couldn't stand the guy... but Delly, Patty, etc... respect. I have had beers with a few SMC fans... great people. Hope this rivalry continues... for a long time to come. BYU... well I don't like the coach, the team, and I especially cannot stand their fans... I'd rather see a BYU fan crying than a SMC fan.

Fix some scheduling issues and you will finally be there. Take that last step... join us up here. It will only serve to help the conference as a whole.

I don't think BYU is going to be around much longer...Big 12 may be calling.

sideshow06
03-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Hated Sacre. But I do like Sabonis and Draginis. Wish the headband twins would cut their hair and bust out the three-tar again for old times sake. But absolutely would rather continue to see BYU on the outside looking in over GU. Keep it in the family. Until next year...

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Hated Sacre. But I do like Sabonis and Draginis. Wish the headband twins would cut their hair and bust out the three-tar again for old times sake. But absolutely would rather continue to see BYU on the outside looking in over GU. Keep it in the family. Until next year...

Because you didn't know him. He truly was one of the great Zags... and hard as it might be to believe... he was about as lovable as they get. Just a generally happy guy.

I did like the bow and arrow from last night.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Because you didn't know him. He truly was one of the great Zags... and hard as it might be to believe... he was about as lovable as they get. Just a generally happy guy.

Will never forget Big Rob and his "stay thirsty, my friends."

gonzagafan62
03-08-2016, 08:15 PM

So true. 2012 tournament game vs West Virginia he was chatting it up with Reggie Miller and cracking jokes. Who else would you wanna interview than Sacre.

EDIT: this was seconds before tip off

gu03alum
03-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Samhan was a wrestling heel. I enjoyed his antics. He was fun to hate.

jayray
03-08-2016, 08:21 PM
St. Mary's last two in right now, Lunardi said tonight he expects them to NOT get a bid and be pushed out of the tournament by Sunday.

DixieZag
03-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Before the season, I thought they would battle for fourth b/c they had no one coming back.

I think they'll win tournament games (I think they're in) in part b/c I look at that team and see the Zags circa 2000. Perfectly fluid offense, cuts and crisp passing and daggers from 3. We won games with that combo.

Hearing they have everyone back sends shivers. Just a great time for our best recruiting class and transfers ever - and if Shem/Sabonis are back . . .

Zag 77
03-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Nobody realistically expected SMC to contend after losing some key players, NCAA probation restrictions on scholarships, a bunch of new players, etc.

Randy Bennett may not be Mr. Personality, but he knows something or two about coaching and fully deserved his WCC COY award.

sideshow06
03-08-2016, 08:25 PM

I would say the same to you about Samhan but I won't try to convince you. No one loves to hate terrible players so there's inherent respect built in.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:32 PM
I would say the same to you about Samhan but I won't try to convince you. No one loves to hate terrible players so there's inherent respect built in.

Rob never would have given an opposing bench the finger like Samhan did. Therein lies the difference.

Alum08
03-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Hope you get seeded St Mary's. Lunardi is a moron. And I still hate Samhan for the record.

hooter73
03-08-2016, 08:41 PM
St. Mary's last two in right now, Lunardi said tonight he expects them to NOT get a bid and be pushed out of the tournament by Sunday.

F that noise. Time and again weve heard, seen, and experienced the FACT that "Youve got to go play somebody" but even so, SMC has made the WCC a two bid league once again.

rennis
03-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Except Matt Carlino. Dude was bad and I couldn't stand him :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nevada Don
03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the thread guys.:cheers:

Crusader Rick
03-08-2016, 09:30 PM
I still think youre non conference scheduling is ridiculous ( ;) ), but you continue to show your program and our conference respect by playing a top notch game. In a precarious league, SMC continues its ability to push the best to be the best and step up when others, including GU, do not. They are deserving to go to the dance on heart alone, to say nothing of ability. Congratulations SMC, and thank you.

They could make a nice run in the NIT.

Zags11
03-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Smc is good team but needs to nut up and play a schedule instead of praying to beat zags.

WallaWallaZag
03-09-2016, 06:16 AM
Smc is good team but needs to nut up and play a schedule instead of praying to beat zags.

they get a pass this year but very curious to see what they come up with for next year...if history is any indication, we'll be disappointed once again...

zagfan24
03-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Crazy that 9 of the 10 starters in last night's game were not starting last year. It's a huge credit to SMC that they were able to build such a strong team this year. I really, really hope they get in...those players deserve it and some unlucky team in the first round will experience just how tough they are.

scrooner
03-09-2016, 06:50 AM
Yeah. Now you're a Top 50 team and all of a sudden we have two Top 50 wins.

Funny how you can go from 0-1 against the top 50 to 2-2 against the top 50 overnight :)