PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - SMC - WCC Championship -3. 8. 16

RenoZag
03-08-2016, 07:03 PM
...nothing, nothing beats the sight of a stunned silent Gaels fan.

Ten Point Win and the Zags are DANCING !!

Who gets your Player of the Game ballot tonight ?

STATS

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?tournament=336&a=1

Sarenyon
03-08-2016, 07:04 PM
TEAM! Go GU!

dan71w
03-08-2016, 07:06 PM
had to go with Few, he just doesn't get enough credit he worked magic this season.

Martin Centre Mad Man
EMac promised a championship and came through with one.

CdAZagFan
This was a TEAM effort - WHAT A WIN!!! This team has the heart of a lion to perform like they did down the stretch with the weight of the world on their shoulders...

kitzbuel
03-08-2016, 07:07 PM
EMac decided that he wanted to go to the dance and made it happen. What a great leadership effort.

strikenowhere
03-08-2016, 07:08 PM
McClellan and his senior leadership!

Coach Crazy
Hard time deciding between E and Josh.

bballbeachbum
McClellan

team win of course!!!

playing their best ball down the stretch

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 07:09 PM
had to go with Few, he just doesn't get enough credit he worked magic this season.

This is so so true

Mantua
03-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Team! Eric was a hero at the end.

Great free throw shooting team!

surfmonkey89
03-08-2016, 07:11 PM
EMac deserves MVP imo

MTZag03
03-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Oh shoot I voted Dranginis before seeing The Team. Yeah, it's the team. I loved Dranginis's steady play though.

GU69
OK, EMac if you have to pick one, but this was a team effort.

Once and Future Zag
All five starters with 13 or more points,

Only 6 turnovers.

96% from the FT line.

62% from the field.

7 man rotation

In the immortal line from Starship Troopers:

"Everybody fights, nobody quits."

That being said, Emac was a stone eyed killer at the line.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Team...the Zag way.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Team...the Zag way.

:cheers:

maynard g krebs
03-08-2016, 07:16 PM
...nothing, nothing beats the sight of a stunned silent Gaels fan.

Disagree. Much prefer the sight of sad BYU fan. I like the Gaels and really hope to root for them in the tourney. No cheap shots from them, just great basketball. I admire and respect them, and really hope Bennett is there for a long time to keep the WCC at least a bit interesting.

Voted team, because so many great, gutsy contributions. But really glad to see both EMac and JP validate those who have posted in support of them all year. And props to Dranginis too, whose game deserved votes.

ZagNative
03-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Eric gets my vote. His growth this year has just been phenomenal!

VinnyZag
03-08-2016, 07:17 PM
EMac, and he should've been tournament MOP, too.

Birddog
03-08-2016, 07:18 PM
When WooHoo started the GUnit, there was no team vote in fact it was explicitly forbidden and he acknowledged that it made for a tougher decision. With that in mind, I never vote team although tonight is a night when I could and it would be deserved. My vote wavered throughout the game from Dranginis to Sabonis to EMac and then EMac took over the last 3+ mins and he got my vote. Sabonis for Tournament MVP! Terrific win, what moxie!

zagfan24
Only 6 turnovers.

96% from the FT line.

Those two areas are where GU won the game. Great control of the ball, very few poor passes.

Oh, and I had to vote for Eric. Phenomenal heart.

MickMick
EMac, if you read this stuff, I sincerely apologize for what I have written about you this season. Sincerely.

When a historic streak was on the line, you were nails from the free throw line. Your dribble penetration put extreme foul pressure on the SMC bigs.

You were the best player on the court down the stretch.

I was wrong. I was always wrong about you. The greatest players make the biggest plays in the biggest games.

You are a great player. You are a champion.

FuManShoes
Going team with a strong blue ribbon for E-Mac. I know it's cliche and maybe discounts a bit just what E-Mac did, but the Zags are thin and needed everyone to step up. They got it - look at Draginis! - and because of that are dancing again. E-Mac was awesome down the stretch - just the kind of clutch this team has been searching for all year. Awesome win

TacomaZAG
03-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Everything has gone through Sabonis since Karno went down. The kid is a monster, and he has really directed his emotions the last 15 games. He was absolutely unstoppable in this Tourney, controlling both ends of the paint and showing his mid range game as well.

This team is gelling at the right time. Great guard play tonight and throughout the Tourney. Those guys have really grown up the last 10 games. Props to them, and all the guys.

Also, it seemed really obvious to me that EMac, KW, and Draino (the 3 seniors) were not going to let the streak end on their watch. What a gut check for those guys, stepping up HUGE when it mattered.

Go ZAGS

hooter73
03-08-2016, 07:26 PM
EMac deserves MVP imo

I agree 100%

GeorgiaZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:27 PM
It was one of the best, most balanced games of the year and I go with KD as the player of the game for two reasons. It was KD midway through the first half that seemed to set the tone for the other guards by making shots and driving to the basket. He was instrumental in getting the early 10 point lead. The other reason I voted for him; he's been a Zag for half his life (or so it seems) and I got the feeling that he was NOT going to miss the big dance in his final year! Great job to all the Zags. Can you imagine the Zags record if the KD, EM, JP had played like this in those early season losses? Just FT shooting alone would have eliminated the TA&M loss, and they would not have lost to AZ or UCLA with the guard play they have been getting down the stretch. Combine that with a healthy PK and this is a FF team, especially this year.

SWZag
03-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Who would have thought that after a win against SMC, Wiltjer and Sabonis have no GUnit votes after 53 votes cast!!!! :cheers:

hooter73
03-08-2016, 07:32 PM
KD may just be in the running for national Glue Guy, just as Mike Hart was.

I will say Sabonis not going mobster / UFC on any and everyone in the last few games for the way he has been beaten deserves special mention.

raise the zag
03-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Wiltjer with Tourney MVP.

Deserved and happy for him, but thought Emac was more MVPish, imho.

Wiljter is so valuable, but there was one point in the game SMC scored 5 consecutive buckets on him.

Works both ways.

I mean EMAC was 18-18 from FT line for the Tourney. Double-digits every game, rebounds, defense, key buckets, careers highs, etc.

I would have given him the nod for all 3 games.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:38 PM
KD may just be in the running for national Glue Guy, just as Mike Hart was.

I will say Sabonis not going mobster / UFC on any and everyone in the last few games for the way he has been beaten deserves special mention.

...so impressed with DS "figuring it out" and staying away from those stupid fouls he often got during the first half of the season. He has maintained his intensity and aggressiveness without fouling. I really think(hope) he should stay another year and might be a lottery pick next year. He needs to continue to develop his off hand and play against some bigs that are more athletic than what the WCC has to offer.

Reborn
03-08-2016, 07:41 PM
When WooHoo started the GUnit, there was no team vote in fact it was explicitly forbidden and he acknowledged that it made for a tougher decision. With that in mind, I never vote team although tonight is a night when I could and it would be deserved. My vote wavered throughout the game from Dranginis to Sabonis to EMac and then EMac took over the last 3+ mins and he got my vote. Sabonis for Tournament MVP! Terrific win, what moxie!

I agree. But life does change. Of course it was a team victory and the best kind, all 5 starters scored in double figures. But still, we need a vote for MVP. I go with EMAC. What a game, for such a great guy, and leader. He took over the game. Yes. He DID. He was scoring almost all of our points in the last 5 or 6 minutes. Time after time, he was driving and scoring or getting fouled and going to the line. And he even hit a huge 3 pointer. It reminds me of one of the HBO series where Few was chewing him out for not slashing and standing around trying to be nothing but a 3 pt shooter. He slashed tonight...And Tommy Loyd got in his face and said, Eric! You're always cheering for everyone else. Why don't you start cheering for yourself. You're a great player."

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
03-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Disagree. Much prefer the sight of sad BYU fan. I like the Gaels and really hope to root for them in the tourney. No cheap shots from them, just great basketball. I admire and respect them, and really hope Bennett is there for a long time to keep the WCC at least a bit interesting.

Voted team, because so many great, gutsy contributions. But really glad to see both EMac and JP validate those who have posted in support of them all year. And props to Dranginis too, whose game deserved votes.

Agree SMC - I want to beat them bad, but I've never been able to get a bunch of anger at them, even Samham. It's time for SMC to lock Bennett up with something close to a "Few-type-number" contract for what he did this year with virtually no one coming back. Even their fans at GIAG are good people and the one's I've spoken to at GU games in the Kennel are good people, too.

The lust at seeing a team lose is reserved for BYU in my book.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Emac... period.

ZagaZags
03-08-2016, 07:54 PM
I guarantee you, the correct answer is Eric McClellan.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdFBk1gUAAAkpGH.jpg

cjm720
03-08-2016, 07:58 PM
the starters really stepped up...team all the way!

What a feeling!!!! So happy, relieved, and excited about th final chapter. We are a handful...look out!

Zag365
03-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Voted for the team because it took everyone of the Magnificent Seven to keep the streak going. Obviously EMac emerged as our nerves of steel scorer tonight. After such a short career, he could have easily faded from our Zag consciousness; but, this last month he really took it to another level. He's now cemented himself as a Zag. And, the team, what more can you say. They really grew after SMC loss and got back to playing confident and gritty. we. will. win. because we are Gonzaga. basketball.

I'm so happy for the program, the coaches, and the players past, present, and future. We have achieved so much success in so many ways, but our reputation and our identity is fundamentally our character, the year-after-year winning percentage, and consecutive tournament appearances. It is what gets us the most respect on the national scene.

I thought the blackest day in Few era was when we blew the conference title streak two shy of tying Wooden (a record that now may never be broken). To have our NCAA appearance streak terminated would have reset the clock on something we likely could not duplicate again and would have diminished us nationally with a "nice try" pat on back.

The present (I think we have another W or two left) and the next couple of years are looking mighty good right now.

former1dog
03-08-2016, 08:10 PM
I am so proud of Gonzaga for giving kids like McClellan, and before him Pargo and Josh Heytvelt second chances. It's an affirmation of an important tenet that the Catholic faith teaches. God Bless my choice these evening, Mr. Eric McClellan, and God bless Gonzaga. The joy continues.

DixieZag
03-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Voted for the team because it took everyone of the Magnificent Seven to keep the streak going. Obviously EMac emerged as our nerves of steel scorer tonight. After such a short career, he could have easily faded from our Zag consciousness; but, this last month he really took it to another level. He's now cemented himself as a Zag. And, the team, what more can you say. They really grew after SMC loss and got back to playing confident and gritty. we. will. win. because we are Gonzaga. basketball.

I'm so happy for the program, the coaches, and the players past, present, and future. We have achieved so much success in so many ways, but our reputation and our identity is fundamentally our character, the year-after-year winning percentage, and consecutive tournament appearances. It is what gets us the most respect on the national scene.

I thought the blackest day in Few era was when we blew the conference title streak two shy of tying Wooden (a record that now may never be broken). To have our NCAA appearance streak terminated would have reset the clock on something we likely could not duplicate again and would have diminished us nationally with a "nice try" pat on back.

The present (I think we have another W or two left) and the next couple of years are looking mighty good right now.

What a great post.

I voted for eMac, but really, the team shot 21-22 from the line and 62% from the field. That's how you beat a team that shot nearly 50% from 3 - and took a whole lot of 3s. In fact, I think it's about the only way to beat a team that shoots like that.

cjm720
03-08-2016, 08:17 PM

This is my favorite post ever.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:32 PM

I agree with you on the BYU thing ...I admire and respect the Gaels ..they play really good basketball! But BYU just plays dirty with so much slapping and pushing and flopping, just have little respect for their brand of basketball and so seeing them sad on the sidelines was MUCH better for me.

gu03alum
03-08-2016, 08:46 PM
I picked EMac, but I kind of wish I picked Wiltjer now that I see everyone took EMAC too.

ZagaZags
03-11-2016, 09:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdThlAuVAAAHBHz.jpg

Keep it going Eric.