PDA

View Full Version : Few's brilliance

the dood
03-08-2016, 10:05 AM
“Wiltj had probably his best defensive game,” Few said. “But the huge thing was, we got Domas through the first half with no fouls and were able to put him on Collinsworth. That’s a testament to how versatile he is. It alleviated us having to double-team him. When he posts up a guard, we have to double team – and that’s why those 3s were open in the first half.”

link (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/mar/07/blanchette-hard-work-keeps-zags-epic-run-alive/)

Say what you want, but that was damn brilliant coaching. And hats off to Domas (and Wiltj) for foul trouble not even scratching the radar last night - they were about as perfect as we could have expected.

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 10:31 AM
and some on here were upset with the intentional slow down action to get into half court sets at times, this had to play into the ''''get to second half in good shape" game plan

CCS050
03-08-2016, 10:46 AM
In the great win over BYU, the half time score was 47 to 47....The other day I watched Virginia destroy a very talented Louisville team which only managed to score 47 points for the ENTIRE game....Rick Pintino"s team could not get a single lay up and SELDOM had an open two or three shot attempt..Tony's teams look like they have 6 men on defense...Last night BYU missed at least 10 point blank lay ups...Can you imagine how unbeatable Gonzaga would be if Coach Few would follow Tony Bennett around for a month and "pick his brain" about defense...Coach Few is so good now that he is favored in 95% of his games...If he knew Bennett's secret he would win 99% of his games...Bennett did the same thing in Pullman with a bunch of 2 star and no star recruits...With so many million dollar coaches , like Coach Few, you would think that some of them would take the time to figure out the Dick and Tony Bennett defense and put it into practice...Go ZAGS beat the Gaels and
hold them under 47 points at HALF time..

gu03alum
03-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Tony Bennett basketball is boring.

Zagdawg
03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Kinda like a root canal dragged out over 3 days........

But he does win games.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Tony Bennett basketball is boring.

Amen. I root against them for that reason. London Perrantes? Gimme a break.

cggonzaga
03-08-2016, 11:31 AM
I don't find winning basketball boring.

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Must be big Globetrotter fan.....:D

seacatfan
03-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Not much love for Bennett here. What he did at Wazzu was beyond impressive. The guy can coach. I think he won the ACC regular season 2 years in a row, without half the talent that Duke and North Carolina trot out on the floor every game. I think he is the ultimate do more with less guy.

zagfan24
03-08-2016, 11:45 AM
The pack-line defense (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/virginia-defense-pack-line-dick-tony-bennett/) isn't much of a secret but it is impressive to watch in action. Takes a specific type of roster though, and an offense that is very efficient with limited possessions.

gu03alum
03-08-2016, 11:46 AM
I don't find winning basketball boring.

Gonzaga seems to do a fair amount of that without resorting to putting it's fans to sleep.

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Not much love for Bennett here. What he did at Wazzu was beyond impressive. The guy can coach. I think he won the ACC regular season 2 years in a row, without half the talent that Duke and North Carolina trot out on the floor every game. I think he is the ultimate do more with less guy.

curious minds want to know why no love for him

he is one heck of a coach IMO

Zagdawg
03-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Pretty simple...

Good coach --boring game plan.......

Prefer a good coach with an exciting game plan.

ProjectMKUltra5
03-08-2016, 12:04 PM
Putting Domas on Collinsworth was just absolutely brilliant. Few can't be commended enough for that move imo

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Does Bennett still deserve COY if they don't make NCAA tourney?

I say No.

Wait til the WHOLE season is over before voting on awards...why not?

gu03alum
03-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Does Bennett still deserve COY if they don't make NCAA tourney?

I say No.

Wait til the WHOLE season is over before voting on awards...why not?

He replaced five starters and SMC was number one seed in WCC. One loss on a neutral court does not negate a whole conference season.

Alum08
03-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Bennett mercilessly exploited Wiltjer tonight and it worked out pretty well. I'm concerned he might have shown our first round opponent a simple way to bypass our otherwise stout defense.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Bennett mercilessly exploited Wiltjer tonight and it worked out pretty well. I'm concerned he might have shown our first round opponent a simple way to bypass our otherwise stout defense.

IMO, the coaches will look at the tape, and get better help defense in there next time around.

hondo
03-08-2016, 08:53 PM
I'm with gu03alum Bennett did a great job this year.