PDA

View Full Version : In theory...

BCZag
03-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Could the Zags play one more game this season to boost RPI if they are concerned they would fall on the wrong side of the tournament cut line? The flippant answer is to say "just win vs St Mary's" but I'm curious if they hold a game in hand following the Pittsburgh cancellation. Follow that up with "Is there another team in the country with a game in hand that would be an appropriate opponent"?

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Could the Zags play one more game this season to boost RPI if they are concerned they would fall on the wrong side of the tournament cut line? The flippant answer is to say "just win vs St Mary's" but I'm curious if they hold a game in hand following the Pittsburgh cancellation. Follow that up with "Is there another team in the country with a game in hand that would be an appropriate opponent"?

Who could they truly get that would improve the RPI/BPI? They need a top 50 win... that isn't going to happen.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-08-2016, 06:47 AM
No. If we lose to SMC 3 times, we don't deserve a tourney bid anyway.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Guys, oh my gosh, this would be perfect!

Pitt is on the bubble too...say we lose tonight, Pitt loses to Syracuse tomorrow (which, if they do, some bracket pundits would have them out). BOTH Zags and Pitt would need to convince the committee still...reschedule the game for Saturday night! Can you imagine how cool a game that would be!?

Make a quick phone call to ESPN and have them hype it as "an NCAA de-facto play-in game!" The Committee would eat up that narrative with a spoon and, I'll bet, really WOULD put the winner of that game in the Dance.

jim77
03-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Thaaat would be a good game.

Zags11
03-08-2016, 10:21 AM
25 wins and 17 years in a row should get you a at large bid.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-08-2016, 10:44 AM
25 wins and 17 years in a row should get you a at large bid.

The bolded part has absolutely no bearing with the Committee (as well it shouldn't)

BCZag
03-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Who could they truly get that would improve the RPI/BPI? They need a top 50 win... that isn't going to happen.

I wasn't suggesting that it will happen. Just asking if it could. I don't believe it would have to be a victory over a top 50 team. Maybe another bubble team? I know, I know.... Just Beat St Mary's.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
St Mary's just did that. Played Grand Canyon last week, won, and got a ranking bump.

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 02:36 PM

isn't a win tonight going to be another Top 50 win?

Zags11
03-08-2016, 02:56 PM
The bolded part has absolutely no bearing with the Committee (as well it shouldn't)

You realize Arizona and uncla did before based on previous tournaments and resume in march. I believe it's when Arizona 19 win season with poor losses.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2016, 03:31 PM
You realize Arizona and uncla did before based on previous tournaments and resume in march. I believe it's when Arizona 19 win season with poor losses.

Wisconsin and Kentucky were thrown a bone too. They'll save you once. Do it two years in a row and it's death by fire