PDA

View Full Version : If we lose vs St Mary's, are we an at large team.

Zagger14
03-07-2016, 11:36 PM
RPI of 65
SIS of 145

Best win: vs a bubble team in UConn

18 out of 24 wins vs RPI 150 or below.

I say auto bid is our only chance.

Zags11
03-08-2016, 01:42 AM
I'd say yes and I'll continue to say yes. I hope it doesn't matter anyway. We would be 25-8. I'm sorry 25+wins plus the pedigree of 17 years of march will mean something.

Zaga I'm looking at you. :)

uZiGiZaG
03-08-2016, 04:42 AM
I say yes. I think it would be extremely hard for the committee to keep out a team with KW and Sabonis

gonstu
03-08-2016, 04:48 AM
This is kind of like that old tootsie roll pop commercial: how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world will never know!

HenneZag
03-08-2016, 05:05 AM
We should be in either way IMO. But I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving our fate in the hand of the committee. The Zags are playing like a top 25 team no doubt. We deserve and belong in the dance, let's just make it easy and win this game tonight. I would have a very sour taste in my mouth if we don't go. Heck Monmouth is ahead of us right now on the projections.
Bad losses = 0
Just not many quality wins, hopefully the committee doesn't screw us if we don't pull through tonight.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Good wins = bordering on 0... Uconn cannot be what they hang their hats on. 1-5 vs top 50.

Sorry... but no.

Zagnificent
03-08-2016, 05:44 AM
I think the committee will recognize how close this team's losses have been, that they've played well on the road, and that they have no bade losses. I predict a play-in game should they lose a close game to St. Mary's. If the Zags get blown out, they're out completely. If St. Mary's loses a close one, they're in the play-in game.

Birddog
03-08-2016, 05:49 AM
Did you hear Musberger last night? Only one conference favorite (1 seed) had won their auto birth prior to last nights tip off. That really muddies up the water.

kitzbuel
03-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Good wins = bordering on 0... Uconn cannot be what they hang their hats on. 1-5 vs top 50.

Sorry... but no.

Ironically, if we win tonight, we have a good win against a top 50 RPI team and cement our at large status.

Jstock12
03-08-2016, 06:01 AM
For me as a European it's hard to understand this NCAA regular season scheduling and playoff system... It all seems so... subjective.

kitzbuel
03-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Did you hear Musberger last night? Only one conference favorite (1 seed) had won their auto birth prior to last nights tip off. That really muddies up the water.

Those are pretty much one-bid conferences. The only possible at large out there is Wichita St and they did themselves no favors by losing in the Semi.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 06:14 AM
Those are pretty much one-bid conferences. The only possible at large out there is Wichita St and they did themselves no favors by losing in the Semi.

Iona beating Monmouth definitely muddied the waters.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 06:17 AM
For me as a European it's hard to understand this NCAA regular season scheduling and playoff system... It all seems so... subjective.

In many ways it is. They try hard to objectively look at it, but in the end you have 32 conferences at the Division I level... they can't all play each other. I think what has really made it difficult is the whole conference tournaments as you can end up with really bad teams earning tickets to the dance when they don't truly deserve it but for a run of 2-3 good games.

gu03alum
03-08-2016, 06:21 AM
Iona beating Monmouth definitely muddied the waters.

When they were showing Monmouth's resume last night I was surprised that they were in and Gonzaga was not. Gonzaga's BPI is 24th and Monmouth's is 87th. Gonzaga is 30th on Kenpom while Monmouth is 66th. They both have 7 losses. Monmouth lost to 14-19 Canisius.

GoZags
03-08-2016, 06:24 AM
As of this morning Gonzaga's average in the three rating services the Selection Committee actually actually uses is 26.33. KenPom 30 BPI 24. Sagarin 25. The only "muddy waters" that I can see is if the Committee decides to reverse themselves for this year and go back to the antiquated RPI as their key factor of who gets in.

Regardless, BEAT St. Mary's.

HenneZag
03-08-2016, 06:25 AM
When they were showing Monmouth's resume last night I was surprised that they were in and Gonzaga was not. Gonzaga's BPI is 24th and Monmouth's is 87th. Gonzaga is 30th on Kenpom while Monmouth is 66th. They both have 7 losses. Monmouth lost to 14-19 Canisius.

Yep. I don't get it.

HenneZag
03-08-2016, 06:30 AM

Monmouth did beat Notre Dame/USC/Georgetown. Haven't really looked at those teams all that closely I do know Notre Dame has some big wins.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 06:38 AM
Monmouth did beat Notre Dame/USC/Georgetown. Haven't really looked at those teams all that closely I do know Notre Dame has some big wins.
Top 50 wins... they have more.

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 06:59 AM
the question remains

where is the weight factor for bad losses
where is the weight factor for Road and Neutral wins
where is the weight factor for very close losses after losing a starting player? How much time is allowed before it is determined no further impact from the lost starting player (ie SMC losses and BYU losses)
does the Top 50 wins matter when it occurred (what if the team is ranked when a team beats them but then falls out of the ranking)

committee has their work cut out for them

lets take care of business tonight and have a relaxed week

TravelinZag
03-08-2016, 07:14 AM
Sadly, NO. Happily, that is a hypothetical question. Zags win and dance, and Gaels may also go to the prom!

Go Zags!

Coach Crazy
03-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Anyone that posts RPI should be banned for at least one day.

CdAZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Would like to believe we are in regardless (have enjoyed those on this board that keep pointing out the statistical analysis that suggests we should be in - they have reversed my skepticism of getting in as an at-large). However, Zags go out tonight and just crush St. Mary's to end any debate.

webspinnre
03-08-2016, 07:25 AM
If we lose tonight, I'd say we're about 50-50 on in or not.

willandi
03-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Reading todays bubble watch, Eamonn Brennan talks about how the Wichita Shockers are being shortchanged because of their RPI, and how bad it would be if their RPI keeps them out. He also talks about how Lunardi had them as a lock a week ago, but then brings up their RPI.

Shouldn't somebody at ESPN let him know that the committee doesn't use RPI for selection? The page would not allow for comments, so I couldn't do it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

CDC84
03-08-2016, 07:40 AM
The fact that Gonzaga lost 4 games at home is something to also consider......

Coach Crazy
03-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Reading todays bubble watch, Eamonn Brennan talks about how the Wichita Shockers are being shortchanged because of their RPI, and how bad it would be if their RPI keeps them out. He also talks about how Lunardi had them as a lock a week ago, but then brings up their RPI.

Shouldn't somebody at ESPN let him know that the committee doesn't use RPI for selection? The page would not allow for comments, so I couldn't do it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

I've come to the conclusion that 1. RPI is basic enough to appeal to the layman fan and 2. It's better to have click bait, than to be the most correct.

Zag_Dad
03-08-2016, 07:41 AM
The bigger question is, will SMC get an at large bid AFTER we beat them tonight?

GO ZAGS! Make it 18 in a row!

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-08-2016, 07:43 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch[/url]

They do something even worse! They use a DERIVATIVE of the RPI (record against RPI top 50, record against RPI 100, etc.) As horrible as the RPI is, it's still very prevalent and very important in that room.

Ezag
03-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Win tonight and this thread is meaningless

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:33 AM
These are all BPI rankings... who gets in if you had to chose two from the three:

Team A

vs. 1-50
1-5

vs. 51-100
3-2

vs. 101-150
3-0

vs. 151+
18-0

Team B

vs. 1-50
2-2

vs. 51-100
2-0

vs. 101-150
3-2

vs. 151+
20-3

Team C

vs. 1-50
2-1

vs. 51-100
2-1

vs. 101-150
4-2

vs. 151+
19-0

john montana
03-08-2016, 08:35 AM
I think the winner plays on, the loser plays NIT. I don't think either team did enough outside the WCC to earn an at large bid.

webspinnre
03-08-2016, 08:35 AM
Based on that, I'd go team C.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Based on that, I'd go team C.

Which of the remaining two gets in if you had to chose?

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 09:25 AM
The fact that Gonzaga lost 4 games at home is something to also consider......

2 by 5 points each right after losing a long time starting center who is pivotal to the teams makeup......why does no one talk about that for Zags, but do for Witchita state

Coach Crazy
03-08-2016, 09:28 AM
2 by 5 points each right after losing a long time starting center who is pivotal to the teams makeup......why does no one talk about that for Zags, but do for Witchita state

Especially when home losses are not a factor, but losing a major piece of your offense and defense is...

Ekrub
03-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Which of the remaining two gets in if you had to chose?

C a lock. I'd go with B. Better top 100 win %.

I suspect gonzaga is A. I think the "no bad losses" is good, but top wins are better. Even our best GU teams have lost some to some Crappy teams.

seacatfan
03-08-2016, 09:36 AM

I think because Vanvleet returned after a short stretch, but Karnowski was done for the year.

Mr Vulture
03-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Here are what is used for selection, we are sitting very good. We also have an excellent road/neutral record, and literally ZERO bad losses. Our resume is better than UCLA last year that got into the tournament and went to the Sweet 16.

GONZAGA
BPI: 24
Pomeroy: 30

St Marys
BPI:27
Pomeroy: 33

No team at those levels has ever NOT made the tournament. I think both teams are in no matter the outcome tonight. Regardless of what Palm or Lunardi has to say.

RPI of 65
SIS of 145

gonzagafan62
03-08-2016, 10:03 AM
The committee is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

Finish it zags and become champions!

We are Gonzaga!

jim77
03-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Think Monmouth could handle Sabonis and a getting healthier Wiltjer? Keep dreaming.....and in our case they could NOT snipe us from the outside either.

Zags11
03-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Come on zags!

zagamatic
03-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Monmouth's good wins cancel out their bad losses. The Zags no bad losses cancel out the lack of good wins. HOWEVER, if the eye test comes into factor, based on their performance yesterday, Monmouth is not going dancing if they're comparing directly against the Zags. What have you done for me LATELY? The Zags are peaking NOW, Monmouth peaked at the beginning of the season and are trendi trending down.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Monmouth's good wins cancel out their bad losses. The Zags no bad losses cancel out the lack of good wins. HOWEVER, if the eye test comes into factor, based on their performance yesterday, Monmouth is not going dancing if they're comparing directly against the Zags. What have you done for me LATELY? The Zags are peaking NOW, Monmouth peaked at the beginning of the season and are trendi trending down.

Monmouth beat USC Georgetown and someone else I can't recall. Those are their "BIG" wins. Same level as BYU and we get no respect. What BS. Monmouth is not a good as zags

Worthington
03-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Based on the eye test, yes. Based on our resume, no. The committee has gone the eye test route before so you never know, but I don't like our chances.

ZagMan in Philly
03-08-2016, 12:02 PM
BEAT SMC!!!
GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 12:04 PM
C a lock. I'd go with B. Better top 100 win %.

I suspect gonzaga is A. I think the "no bad losses" is good, but top wins are better. Even our best GU teams have lost some to some Crappy teams.

A is GU... B is Monmouth and C is SMC

CDC84
03-08-2016, 12:13 PM

Because Van Fleet is now 100% healthy, and Karnowski can't play in the NCAA tournament. Back around 2000 when Cincinnati was the clear number one team in the country and Kenyon Martin broke his leg in their postseason conference tourney title game (a game that Cincy lost), the Bearcats were downgraded to a two seed based on Martin not being able to play in the NCAA tournament. The injury factor only applies to players who were unhealthy earlier in the season but who are now playing, and as result of their playing, have elevated their team to being an NCAA tournament worthy team.

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 12:16 PM
I've heard some discount our UCONN win because that was with PK…….

CDC84
03-08-2016, 12:21 PM
The UConn win is not exactly a powerhouse win anyway......58 in the RPI.

DixieZag
03-08-2016, 12:33 PM
My only question is how some can be relatively content we are in when very few of the bracketologists have us in. I get it, I get it, they are not all that good, click bait, all that. But, there are over 100 and the averages have to play out at some point.

I hope we win.

CdAZagFan
03-08-2016, 12:42 PM
The UConn win is not exactly a powerhouse win anyway......58 in the RPI.

I agree it's not a great win, but its kind of laughable when I hear ESPN analysts downplaying those "good wins" when all they list for St. Mary's on the "good wins" list is Gonzaga (who they claim is not in the tourney). I guess the difference there being they beat us twice?

MJ777
03-08-2016, 12:48 PM
I say yes. I think it would be extremely hard for the committee to keep out a team with KW and Sabonis

The resume is weak and losing to a projected 9 to 11 Seed SMC 3 times wouldn't help. Zags need to suck it up and Scan their ticket to the dance on the court tonight. SMC can have the At Large bid.

Go Zags!

Mr Vulture
03-08-2016, 01:23 PM
For those that seem to still believe that the RPI is used for selection...here you go. The Zags will be in, win or lose tonight...hopefully they just win and none of this matters then.

"The RPI rating is often considered a factor in selecting and seeding the final few teams in the tournament field. However, the NCAA selection committee in 2015 said the RPI is no longer relevant only utilized for grouping the teams into groups such as top 50 and top 100 teams to value the wins and losses and not as a factor for selection. Additionally, the committee officially considers other computer rankings such as ESPN's BPI, Sagarin and Pomeroy Ratings which use additional factors considered by the committee such as injured players in the case of the BPI. Additionally, committee members consider how teams do on the road and at neutral courts, strength of conference and schedule, non-conference strength of schedule, record against other selected tournament teams, and other extenuating factors."

gonstu
03-08-2016, 01:42 PM
For those that seem to still believe that the RPI is used for selection...here you go. The Zags will be in, win or lose tonight...hopefully they just win and none of this matters then.

"The RPI rating is often considered a factor in selecting and seeding the final few teams in the tournament field. However, the NCAA selection committee in 2015 said the RPI is no longer relevant only utilized for grouping the teams into groups such as top 50 and top 100 teams to value the wins and losses and not as a factor for selection. Additionally, the committee officially considers other computer rankings such as ESPN's BPI, Sagarin and Pomeroy Ratings which use additional factors considered by the committee such as injured players in the case of the BPI. Additionally, committee members consider how teams do on the road and at neutral courts, strength of conference and schedule, non-conference strength of schedule, record against other selected tournament teams, and other extenuating factors."

That doesn't make me confident at all! Ratings are good and "value" of losses (no bad losses), road record good. But definitely concern/weakness with: strength of conference, record against other selected tourney teams, "value" of wins. Not saying there's no chance they get an at-large but just can't see the high confidence in one. No way to know which of those variables will be more heavily weighed with this particular committee!

But I do appreciate all the research and opinions, everyone doesn't have to agree on the answer. But I'm sure we all agree we just want the "W" tonight so that we never have to find out which side was right!

TravelinZag
03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
I think what has really made it difficult is the whole conference tournaments as you can end up with really bad teams earning tickets to the dance when they don't truly deserve it but for a run of 2-3 good games.

At very least, let the NCAA choose between the conference tournament champion and the regular season champ. That would eliminate many bad teams with a 2-3 game run. The prize for them: after a terrible season, they WON the conference tournament! A real feather in their cap and a reason to look forward to the next season!

What I'd really prefer is that teams, not conferences count. Modeling basketball after post-season football would give good teams from terrible conferences a chance for a competitive post-season tournament, i.e., the NIT. That would be great for that tournament as well. The second-tier approach has been wonderful for teams that are simply outgunned by bigger, better programs. EWU and other schools have benefitted. So have the players and the fans. The chance to play in MSG and journey to NYC would be an excellent draw. Or keep the disappointing current system.

ZagaZags
03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
I'd say yes and I'll continue to say yes. I hope it doesn't matter anyway. We would be 25-8. I'm sorry 25+wins plus the pedigree of 17 years of march will mean something.

Zaga I'm looking at you. :)

Tonight should be a fun one. It is difficult to beat a team 3 times in 1 season. 2 1/2 hours till tip.

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 02:35 PM
At very least, let the NCAA choose between the conference tournament champion and the regular season champ. That would eliminate many bad teams with a 2-3 game run. The prize for them: after a terrible season, they WON the conference tournament! A real feather in their cap and a reason to look forward to the next season!

What I'd really prefer is that teams, not conferences count. Modeling basketball after post-season football would give good teams from terrible conferences a chance for a competitive post-season tournament, i.e., the NIT. That would be great for that tournament as well. The second-tier approach has been wonderful for teams that are simply outgunned by bigger, better programs. EWU and other schools have benefitted. So have the players and the fans. The chance to play in MSG and journey to NYC would be an excellent draw. Or keep the disappointing current system.

I would love to see the last 4 in and last 4 out in a one game playoff for the final seating

Zags11
03-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Tonight should be a fun one. It is difficult to beat a team 3 times in 1 season. 2 1/2 hours till tip.

NErvous and pumped.

seacatfan
03-08-2016, 03:24 PM

IMO conference tournaments are completely meaningless if there is no Big Dance invitation waiting for the winner. I don't see why any conference would bother to have them.

I can understand the thought of the teams that get 15 or 16 seeds, that are autobids from really bad conferences "don't really belong." But I think to take that away is to screw with the very essence of what makes the Tourney great. No 16 has ever won, but a few 15s have, and quite a few double digit seeds from mid or low major conferences that no one gave a chance of winning. Just the possibility of it happening is part of the magic. Some are fretting about it right now because the Zags are on the bubble. If you took away half a dozen or more bids from the worst conferences, who do you think would get those bids instead? Teams like Monmouth or Valpo who put themselves in a precarious position by losing early in their conference tourneys, who have a bunch of wins but not great strength of schedule? Or more middle of the road teams from power conferences? I'm not going to cry over the injustice of a barely over .500 team from the MEAC or whatever finding their way into the Dance instead of a team 4 or 6 games under .500 in league in the Big 10 or ACC or whatever.

Bouldin4Prez
03-08-2016, 03:28 PM

I was just talking about this with my dad the other day. Has anyone ever actually researched the statistics to see if this saying of it being tough to beat a team 3 times is actually true?

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, I genuinely want to know the numbers behind the third game and see what the correlation is. Seems like it might be an old term that gets thrown around with no factual basis behind it.

IowaSERE
03-08-2016, 03:55 PM
I believe that the team that won the 1st 2 games, wins the 3rd game 77% of the time.

ZagaZags
03-08-2016, 04:47 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/college/030816kylewiltjer.jpg

From Gary Parrish,

While everybody is busy debating Wichita State -- and wondering whether the NCAA Tournament selection committee will take the Shockers because they're clearly one of the best 36 at-large teams or reject the Shockers because their win-loss resume doesn't prove it -- another interesting situation is developing on the West Coast.

Specifically ... in the West Coast Conference.

Gonzaga and Saint Mary's will play Tuesday night for the WCC Tournament title and that league's automatic bid to the Field of 68, which means the Zags are just one win away from securing their 18th consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament and extending what is currently the fourth-longest active such streak in college basketball. That's the good news for Mark Few. But the bad news is that his Zags are also just one loss away from likely missing the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998.

Did you realize that?

Because it's true.

Even though Gonzaga is 25-7, the WCC's regular-season co-champion, ranked 30th at KenPom and getting votes in the current Associated Press poll, there's no guarantee the Zags will make the NCAA Tournament if they lose to Saint Mary's late Tuesday in Las Vegas. In fact, they probably won't make the NCAA Tournament if they lose to Saint Mary's late Tuesday in Las Vegas, evidence being that most Bracketologists, including CBS Sports' Jerry Palm, have Gonzaga on the outside looking in right now. And if you're on the outside looking in five days before Selection Sunday, and all you do between then and Selection Sunday is take a loss on a neutral court to a Saint Mary's team that's already beaten you twice but hasn't beaten a single other at-large candidate all season, well, good luck.

And by good luck, I mean get ready for the NIT.

Because if the Zags lose to Saint Mary's again, they'll drop to 0-6 against the top 50 of the RPI with two additional losses outside of the top 50, and, simply put, that is not the type of resume that usually generates an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Making things worse is the fact that Gonzaga's best win -- a neutral-court victory over Connecticut back in November -- came when they had Przemek Karnowski available. And he's no longer available because of season-ending back surgery. So even that win can be discounted, to some degree, if the selection committee wants to discount it.

All of this, of course, leads to a larger and interesting conversation that also applies to Wichita State, and that conversation is about whether the committee should take the best 36 at-large teams or the most-deserving 36 at-large teams. Because those teams -- the best and the most-deserving -- aren't always the same. And Gonzaga is a perfect example.

Again, Gonzaga is ranked 30th at KenPom.

That alone suggests the Zags are one of the nation's best teams and better than some schools that'll safely be in the NCAA Tournament as at-large teams (if they need to be in the NCAA Tournament as at-large teams) -- schools like Providence (55th at KenPom), Dayton (57th at KenPom) and Colorado (61st at KenPom). So if the selection committee truly wanted to place the best 36 at-large teams in the Field of 68, they'd take Gonzaga even if Gonzaga loses for a third time to Saint Mary's. And they'd take Wichita State, too.

But, historically speaking, the committee doesn't typically take the best teams independent of everything else. They typically take the best teams that have also assembled bodies of work to prove it. And that's the problem Wichita State is facing. And that'll be the problem Gonzaga faces if the Zags, who were No. 9 in the preseason Associated Press poll, don't secure the West Coast Conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

So buckle up.

There's a high-stakes game in Las Vegas on Tuesday night. Win, and the Zags will be in the NCAA Tournament for the 18th straight season. But a loss will likely have Mark Few in the NIT for the first time in his 17-year career, which would then make Gonzaga this season's highest-ranked team from the preseason AP poll to miss the NCAA Tournament.

cjm720
03-08-2016, 04:52 PM
RPI of 65
SIS of 145

Highly doubtful we are an at large team. Just win!!! Believe!!!!!!

maynard g krebs
03-08-2016, 04:55 PM

Monmouth has 13 road wins, plus 4 neutral wins. Won at UCLA and Georgetown, neutral wins v USC and Notre Dame and a 2 pt loss to Dayton in the same tourney.

seacatfan
03-08-2016, 07:02 PM
And this thread is now irrelevant!

ZagaZags
03-08-2016, 07:05 PM
And this thread is now irrelevant!

Yes it is.

Birddog
03-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Things have changed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45DKmtzTHo