PDA

View Full Version : Can Gonzaga beat SMC?

gonzagafan62
03-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Maybe a better question is will they?

Will they stop the high pick and rolls?

Can they stop Hermanson?

Will they stop Randy Bennett from taking the auto bid?

Can Few stop RB from out-coaching him?

Debate.

Go zags!

Zagger
03-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Can SMC beat these Zags? Nope!

rawkmandale
03-07-2016, 10:24 PM
It certainly should be a great game, as the Gaels are worthy, but ....ZAGS WIN!

Rangerzag
03-08-2016, 04:03 AM
Can SMC beat these Zags? Yup.

Fixed it.

Zagger
03-08-2016, 05:41 AM
Fixed it.
Nope - they can't beat these Zags. These = Zags of last couple-ish weeks. Ain't happenin'
Go Zags!

strikenowhere
03-08-2016, 05:51 AM
After watching the Zags, with their backs against the wall, walk out of Provo with a win, followed by Portland and another hard fought win against BYU, I am inclined to think that the answer is that the Zags will win convincingly against St. Mary's and earn their berth in the tournament, getting an 11-seed. From here, they'll embark on a return to the second weekend of the dance as I can't imagine anyone being happy playing against this team at this point in the year.

GrizZAG
03-08-2016, 06:05 AM
This team is finally gelling into a different animal. They have bonded with each other now and their confidence level is much higher. Sabonis continues his maturing and just keeps finding new ways to get it done. The guards are so dramatically better than early this year. Here is to hoping they have enough gas left in the tank tonight to fight once again at that level of intensity. If they can we win. Mac has taken his game to a different level. Props to him big time.

Jstock12
03-08-2016, 06:12 AM
They can beat the Zags. The Zags can beat them. Even though the Zags lost both times, those losses were pretty close. If our guards continue to bring it, and if the front court does what they usually do, this should be a win.

HenneZag
03-08-2016, 06:13 AM
We have more talent. SMC plays great team ball, is patient and crafty on offense always looking for the best shot as they have many quality shooters. 2 great guards as well. Last game vs SM we couldn't hit shots and looked very tentative. They just do a lot of things well.

We are hungry, angry, and need this game. I am hoping the guys can dig deep and find the energy tonight because last nights game was very physical and taxing. I am pretty proud of the way this team has battled. Every time BYU started to inch back we kept it at arms length once again, this was our problem earlier in the year when we started to sputter.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 06:31 AM
I'm really concerned about the first several minutes, up to the first TV timeout. It's not physical fatigue that I'm worried about, it's mental fatigue. SMC did a pretty good job of slicing and dicing Pepperdine's defense. We can't afford to be playing from behind at the outset, we need to be the first to "punch them in the mouth."

We'll need five Zags to score in double figures, implying that KD won't go 1-6 from 3 like he did last night, and/or Silas putting together a better game.

rennis
03-08-2016, 06:36 AM
I think the Zags can get it done tonight. I don't see them falling 3x to any team in one season. I'm a little worried about fatigue after last night but once that ball is tipped, I think they're going off.

SWZag
03-08-2016, 06:57 AM
I'm really concerned about the first several minutes, up to the first TV timeout. It's not physical fatigue that I'm worried about, it's mental fatigue. SMC did a pretty good job of slicing and dicing Pepperdine's defense. We can't afford to be playing from behind at the outset, we need to be the first to "punch them in the mouth."

We'll need five Zags to score in double figures, implying that KD won't go 1-6 from 3 like he did last night, and/or Silas putting together a better game.

I'm concerned a bit about physical fatigue. We've seen previously this year of fatigue and this will now be the third game on four days, and the last against a very difficult, thuggish team. There's a difference between playing 39 minutes and playing 39 minutes while getting pushed, pulled, shoved, hacked and beat up. Those things will weigh heavy and take a lot more energy out of you.

I was glad to see SMC starters played a lot of minutes against Pepp, but again, it takes a lot more out of you when you're getting beat up.

If we get an early lead and get momentum, that will definitely help us forget our tiredness / fatigue. Fingers crossed!

strikenowhere
03-08-2016, 07:01 AM
I'm concerned a bit about physical fatigue. We've seen previously this year of fatigue and this will now be the third game on four days, and the last against a very difficult, thuggish team. There's a difference between playing 39 minutes and playing 39 minutes while getting pushed, pulled, shoved, hacked and beat up. Those things will weigh heavy and take a lot more energy out of you.

I was glad to see SMC starters played a lot of minutes against Pepp, but again, it takes a lot more out of you when you're getting beat up.

If we get an early lead and get momentum, that will definitely help us forget our tiredness / fatigue. Fingers crossed!

I think the adrenaline of getting to the championship game will carry over, especially knowing that if they win they'll have over a week off to rest up back home before setting out for the tournament. Plus, these are 18/19/20/21 year olds with plenty of stamina!

RenoZag
Heavyweight title fight tonight. It's why we watch the games.

Beat the Gaels !

Hoopaholic
I think the adrenaline of getting to the championship game will carry over, especially knowing that if they win they'll have over a week off to rest up back home before setting out for the tournament. Plus, these are 18/19/20/21 year olds with plenty of stamina!

and revenge factor for the season sweep plays into it.

23dpg
03-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Gonzaga is favored by 2 points. I would have guessed SMC would have been a slight favorite.

TravelinZag
03-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Recently, Zags are winning the games they must win, so yes, they will! Playing at last as a team -- when a player has an off game, someone else steps up. SMC hasn't seen the Zags with this mentality and diversity, and won't be able to handle them! Don't know how this version of the Zags will win, just know they'll find a way. That is so different from the team SMC beat twice.

Go Zags! Beat the Gaels and find those dancin' shoes you wore last year!

Hoopaholic
03-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Gonzaga is favored by 2 points. I would have guessed SMC would have been a slight favorite.

wow

CdAZagFan
03-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Great opportunity for payback. If they play collectively as a team like they did last night, they can beat SMC.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Great opportunity for payback. If they play collectively as a team like they did last night, they can beat SMC.

I hope so. Went to bed around 3am couldn't calm down after that win. Need one more and I can rest happy another year

Go zags

Ezag
03-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Gaels cannot beat the Zags 3x in a row!

Nevada Don
03-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Gaels cannot beat the Zags 3x in a row!

And the Gaels couldn't play with the Zags in game 1.
And the Gaels could never go into the Kennel and win.
And the Gaels "cannot" beat the Zags 3x in a row !

I get it. You want your team to kick ass and win it all tonight. You are excited !!! SMC played a pretty good game too last night. If you give the Gaels some respect and hold off a little on the hyperbole and subjectivity, it will make GU's victory much sweeter, if in fact it does happen.

Zag365
03-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Defense usually doesn't disappear from game to game. I'm hoping that the team doesn't think that because SMC is less physical that we can be any less aggressive. We've held SMC in check twice and I expect we will perform well enough on D to win tonight.

The question is what can we do to get above 58 points (which has been our ceiling twice this season against SMC)? In a similar thread that I started 10 days ago, Jim77 was about the only poster who had a strategy beyond hit our shots, make FTs, stay out of foul trouble, execute well, etc.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56310-Past-Performance-Is-No-Guarantee-of-Future-Results

Against ST. Mary's we need to NOT help their defense. The Gaels sag in the middle really bad...they accomplish 3 things by doing this: It makes Sabonis and Wiltjer WAY less effective down low...these 2 guys get the ball ripped off a lot when there doubled teamed. It also prevents our guards from penetrating cause their bigs are already there waiting. Lastly it prevents second shots cause their guys are already in position to get the rebound. So what do we do? We don't bother letting KW post up...in fact, we try to get him open looks from the outside....and preferably on the opposite side as Sabonis. We also have Domantas post up near the freethrow line. The idea is to spread them then attack them. We are quicker then them so creating space is important. What we don't want to do is what we did too much last night...force the ball inside into double coverage. We have got to drill 3's to really bust up their sagging....or spread them and drive on them.

Ezag
03-08-2016, 08:12 AM

I get it. You want your team to kick ass and win it all tonight. You are excited !!! SMC played a pretty good game too last night. If you give the Gaels some respect and hold off a little on the hyperbole and subjectivity, it will make GU's victory much sweeter, if in fact it does happen.

I am excited! Doesn't matter if they beat us 2x or we beat them 2x already. This game puts us both at 0-0, winner takes all!

john montana
03-08-2016, 08:33 AM

All due respect, no need for the SMC police on this thread Don. I don't see why you feel the need to get defensive when they are 2-0 against us this year.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Well well well. It's Nevada Don and his Gaels standing in the way of the streak continuing. Boy, oh boy. It's going to be a good one.

Nevada Don
03-08-2016, 08:47 AM
All due respect, no need for the SMC police on this thread Don. I don't see why you feel the need to get defensive when they are 2-0 against us this year.

Because some give no credence to being 0-2 and choose to use a word like "cannot". Is that term a fair representation of the game tonight? Would you be a little defensive my friend if you were told that Gonzaga "cannot" win tonight?

I try to pick my postings judiciously but you are probably correct that today is not a good day for a Moraga Cop to stop by. Symbolically, thanks for letting me off with just a warning this time.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2016, 08:51 AM
I think the Zags have better pieces. I think the Zags playing a great game are better than SMC playing a great game. We blew it a couple times already. Gave up the first two, imho. Would like to see us grab one from SMC this time.

I think going into Pepp game the SMC fans prob felt that they were the better team, despite the two losses. I think the Zags fans feel that way about GU and SMC tonight.

mtnZag
03-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Maybe a better question is will they?

Will they stop the high pick and rolls?

Can they stop Hermanson?

Will they stop Randy Bennett from taking the auto bid?

Can Few stop RB from out-coaching him?

Debate.

Go zags!

They are playing with that great quiet Gonzaga swagger, meaning, quiet confidence. If they can stay out of foul trouble like they did last night we will win. Domas was mugged all night and played smart. The refs couldn't be worse than they were last night, could they

The odds makers think we will win...and so do I.