PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs BYU post game thoughts

Reborn
03-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Gonzaga 88
BYU 84

Just one more great game between GU and BYU. This was one with great offense by both teams. It was cool to see us beat them when they shot so well from behind the 3 point line, especially Emery who had 27 points and 5 three's. But Wiltjer out did him scoring 29 and also making 5 three's. Wiltjer however was 5-7 and Emery 5-11. Sabonis was his usual tough man, really taking a beating down low, as he scored 18 and got 14 rebounds. Wiltjer had 8 boards. I thought Wiltjer played his best game this year, and we needed it tonight. Perkinds had 17 points, and McClellan with 15. AS GREAT as it seemed like BYU shot from behind the 3 pt line, the Zags outshot them making 12-28 for 43% vs 10 -26 for 38%. Zags also out shot them from the foul line, Zags 20-25 wfor 80% to BYU 12-15 for 80% also, but zags make 8 more from the free throw line.

If you had told me that we would win if Melson scored 2 points I would never have believed you. I figured we needed a big game game from Melson because he would be the only player playing off the bench with Edwards gone. Melson really played lousy, and imo went back into his pity ### because he missed two shots. Melson was useless tonight, and that could have really hurt the Zags tonight. But thank God it different. Perkins and McClellan really stepped it up on offense tonight, and we needed every one of their points. It was nice to see Wiltjer and Sabonis come to the forefront tonight and finally carry the team down the backstretch and hold off a very good BYU team.

I have really been hoping that Wiltjer would find his shot in this tournament, and so far he has. He played like a champion tonight. And Sabonis played like the Beast that he is. They both played big minutes tonight but they did ok, and both had enough energy to pull the victory out. One thing I forgot to tell you is that with about 6 or 7 min to go in the game Few made a great coaching move when he put Sabonis on Collinsworth. Collinsworth was killing us up to that point, our guards could not guard him. Sabonis held him scoreless down the stretch and really to me that was what made the difference.

Great win tonight!!!

Go Zags!!!

zagamatic
03-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Sabonis drawing all those fouls was huge! Not only for making their bigs more reluctant, but we were in the bonus early and often

demian
03-07-2016, 11:02 PM
really fun game to watch. I have watched every GU game over the last 17 years (as most of you have also) and Wiltjer performance tonight was the BEST I have seen from a zag in a DO OR DIE, WINNER ADVANCE AND LOSER SEASON ENDS, SEASON ON THE LINE game. No offense to the others cuz I love em all but that was special tonight considering the MAGNITUDE Of the game.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2016, 11:05 PM
really fun game to watch. I have watched every GU game over the last 17 years (as most of you have also) and Wiltjer performance tonight was the BEST I have seen from a zag in a DO OR DIE, WINNER ADVANCE AND LOSER SEASON ENDS, SEASON ON THE LINE game. No offense to the others cuz I love em all but that was special tonight considering the MAGNITUDE Of the game.
+1
Guy just went out and played horse. Took some ballsy shots. Bigs did such a great job staying out of foul trouble.

ProVeeZag
03-07-2016, 11:19 PM
+1
Guy just went out and played horse. Took some ballsy shots. Bigs did such a great job staying out of foul trouble.

Oh boy, the degree of difficulty on several of those "makes" was off the charts! Pleasure to watch, shake my head and just smile!

Reborn
03-07-2016, 11:27 PM

Just a great post. I feel exactly the same way. When I was reading your post I was having this feeling that I was watching the game with someone who said the exact same thing. Then I looked at the fan who posted this and recognized it was you, Demian, my son who I was watching the game with. hahahaha But still it is a great post, and if you guy knew Demian the way I do, he is very very critical of anyone who plays the game. One thing about him, you can believe what he says. So that is one heck of a compliment given to Kyle Wiltjer. Oh, and by the way, I feel the same way. And as I posted before the game, I was really hoping Kyle would have the game he had.....and now, in the biggest game of the year tomorrow, I hope he finally puts the nails into the coffin that St Mary's will be laying in after the game.

Go Zags!!!

demian
03-07-2016, 11:38 PM
+1

I love this post by you U ZIG, I ZAG. Balls Gallore by him

demian
03-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Just a great post. I feel exactly the same way. When I was reading your post I was having this feeling that I was watching the game with someone who said the exact same thing. Then I looked at the fan who posted this and recognized it was you, Demian, my son who I was watching the game with. hahahaha But still it is a great post, and if you guy knew Demian the way I do, he is very very critical of anyone who plays the game. One thing about him, you can believe what he says. So that is one heck of a compliment given to Kyle Wiltjer. Oh, and by the way, I feel the same way. And as I posted before the game, I was really hoping Kyle would have the game he had.....and now, in the biggest game of the year tomorrow, I hope he finally puts the nails into the coffin that St Mary's will be laying in after the game.

Go Zags!!!

Haha Reborn, this is a great comment by you. Man that was SO MUCH FUN to watch the game with you tonight. yeah I am VERY critical of the way the game is to be played, I learned how to play the game the RIGHT WAY by someone who was THE BEST COACH I ever had and he WAS A GONZAGA BULLDOG BASKETBALL PLAYER. Wiltjer was BIG TIME tonight and so were many others.

Zags11
03-08-2016, 01:45 AM
It was an amazing game. It was ballsy by our whole team and took the heart of a Dog. I am damn proud of this squad.

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 03:40 AM
When asked if the Gonzaga-BYU series is starting to feel like a rivalry, Wiltjer said, “I don’t know if it’s really a rivalry because I think in a rivalry you’ve got to hate the other side, and those guys are some nice kids. I mean, I missed one at the free throw line and one of them was one, ‘It’s all right Kyle, you got it next time.’ …Hats of to them for showing a tremendous amount of character even after the game. Those guys are competitors and they leave it all on the court.”

Few said he believes his team deserves a bid to the NCAA Tournament and tried to dispel the notion that the WCC has not been a competitive league this year. “BYU’s a tournament team, Gonzaga’s a tournament team and Saint Mary’s is a tournament team. … I think the league has been undervalued. I don’t think we played the RPI game very well, so many people have to base it off that,” Few said. “I’ve been in situations where I was the one or two seed, and if I were a one seed or two seed and saw this team pop up against us, I wouldn’t sleep this week, I’ll tell you that. … We’ve been in every game down to the last possession. And I honestly feel like if we play the one or two seed we’d play them down to the last possession.”

Link (http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/gonzaga-reaches-wcc-tournament-title-game/)

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-08-2016, 04:12 AM
Fantastic game for Zags and WCC as a whole. College hoop fans who tuned in across the country were treated to a very entertaining, fast paced, high scoring and extremely intense/physical basketball game. That was the most enjoyable Zags game of the season by far. LOVE seeing KW stepping up and playing like the superstar he is at the most crucial time of the season.

Perkins and McClellan were huge for the Zags tonight. Eric knocking down 3's early in the game really gave Zags confidence and good momentum. I'm really really impressed with Sabonis' ability to keep his composure throughout what was a very frustrating game...he was getting hacked and bumped all night, but I can't blame BYU as it's a smart and effective strategy. Cougars simply could not overcome the firepower Wiltjer, Perkins and McClellan brought last night in support of our Lithuanian Legend.

p.s. The key to the game though was Zags sustained defensive intensity and toughness. They were locked in and giving 100% effort on defense all night. The offense is sexy, but the defense is the reason why Zags are now winning the games they couldn't finish earlier in the year.

gonstu
03-08-2016, 04:17 AM
Link (http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/gonzaga-reaches-wcc-tournament-title-game/)

first i've heard Few mention the ncaa's this year and start lobbying

Zagnificent
03-08-2016, 04:19 AM
Sabonis drawing all those fouls was huge! Not only for making their bigs more reluctant, but we were in the bonus early and often

I'd rephrase that: Sabonis getting fouled all those times was huge. They just mugged the man, time and again. BYU deserves all the flak they get for that sort of play.

Zagsker
03-08-2016, 05:33 AM
I'd rephrase that: Sabonis getting fouled all those times was huge. They just mugged the man, time and again. BYU deserves all the flak they get for that sort of play.

Playing physical?

Zagger
03-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Wow! I'm still buzzing! It was LOUD in the Orleans! Student section rarely sat down. Heck, I'll bet the Mrs & I were standing > 20 mins of the 40 played. After Drano way overshot that 3 then got pick-pocketed by Collinsworth he lost his mojo. Saw Mike Hart give him a pep talk and Drano steadily got back into it. His rebounding, D and a later 3 really kept us in it. Big time team effort. Great game to be at and I doubt if tonight against SMC will be much different. Really love this team. Go Zags!