PDA

View Full Version : Few's in-game coaching

23dpg
03-07-2016, 09:56 PM
I see people rip Few on here all the time after a loss. How about a little dap for the way he coached today? BYU never lead after the first basket. Every run was countered. And putting Sabonis on Collinsworth at the end of the game was the clincher. Serious strategy in the game on night long.

Great win by the Zags!

kitzbuel
03-07-2016, 09:58 PM
I see people rip Few on here all the time after a loss. How about a little dap for the way he coached today? BYU never lead after the first basket. Every run was countered. And putting Sabonis on Collinsworth at the end of the game was the clincher. Serious strategy in the game on night long.

Great win by the Zags!

He certainly stretched that thin bench.

RenoZag
03-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Glad we won. I think the tendency to take the foot off the gas pedal ( see the first half ) is maddening at times.

Coach Few and the staff will have the guys ready for the Gaels. Look forward to watching it on Tuesday

CdAZagFan
03-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Yes, loved Sabonis on Collinsworth - really neutralized him. And later in the game he moved Wiltjer into the bottom corner after that high zone was giving them trouble and Wiltjer hit a crucial 3.

Have to add: I hope he comes up with something great to counteract that high screen that SMC always runs...

jpn17
03-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Glad we won. I think the tendency to take the foot off the gas pedal ( see the first half ) is maddening at times.

Coach Few and the staff will have the guys ready for the Gaels. Look forward to watching it on Tuesday

My only complaint is that it's typical when Gonzaga has a lead for Few to slow the offense down at the end of the first half. It sure seems to kill any flow that they have up to that point. There's still an entire half to play. You're not going to lose the game in those last few minutes of the half. What the offense has been doing has been working up to this point, why change it? JMO

tyko
03-07-2016, 10:04 PM
I'll never give "dap" to anyone until I know what it is. I will, however, applaud the coaching staff for in-game adjustments (for once). Let's go Zags!

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Had me until 'dap'.

I think it was a great effort from the bench and the kids on the court. Sabonis on Collinsworth was good and allowed for our 2/3/4's to come on strong with momentum if they got too deep.

I think the biggest accomplishment is keeping these kids looking forward with all that's happened. The pressure of that HBO thing (cool, but a lot of pressure), Shem being out. Struggling guards, etc. They have held on.

demian
03-07-2016, 10:47 PM
23dpg I love your use of the term "Dap". I was 18-22 years old from 1992 to 1996 so I know the term and I remember the term and I thought it was a real cool usage by you to insert it into your original post. a little "dap" to you from me!!!!

gonstu
03-07-2016, 10:51 PM
And no complaining about Few not showing emotion - he was full of fire. Coach Few on his A-game tonight, loved it. Great win for the Zags!

ProVeeZag
03-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Yeah, Coach earned his pay tonight. But he starts at scratch tomorrow!!

TheZagPhish
03-07-2016, 11:11 PM
http://cl.ly/fM1m/coach-reaction-gauge.jpg

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-08-2016, 03:43 AM
And no complaining about Few not showing emotion - he was full of fire. Coach Few on his A-game tonight, loved it. Great win for the Zags!

Agreed. He may not yell and scream but man he was working the refs intensely over the way Sabonis was getting mugged

jazzdelmar
03-08-2016, 03:53 AM
Devil his due: Exhorted refs effectively, managed 6 functional players well, great move w Sabonis.....but, that Fewian slowdown enrages still.

gonstu
03-08-2016, 04:31 AM
usually right with you all on the slow down with a lead, but last night thought they needed it for a couple reasons. 1. BYU plays at an absolutely torrid pace - didn't want to get sucked in to that and stop taking smart shots (our offense looked good minus a few spells). 2. With such a short bench, couldn't run all game.

like i said, it usually drives me crazy too, but last night i saw the method to the (March) madness.

kitzbuel
03-08-2016, 05:52 AM
usually right with you all on the slow down with a lead, but last night thought they needed it for a couple reasons. 1. BYU plays at an absolutely torrid pace - didn't want to get sucked in to that and stop taking smart shots (our offense looked good minus a few spells). 2. With such a short bench, couldn't run all game.

like i said, it usually drives me crazy too, but last night i saw the method to the (March) madness.

Agree. This was not the normal 'milk the clock' slow down, hoping the seconds run out before the lead does. This was designed to conserve energy and reduce opportunities for stupid or inadvertent fouls.

rennis
03-08-2016, 06:46 AM
http://cl.ly/fM1m/coach-reaction-gauge.jpg

That is AWESOME!

The coaches had a great night last night. Sabonis on Collinsworth was genius, if not a pretty big gamble. Also told me coach has no intentions of hiding Sabonis from NBA scouts...

Same as the last couple of comments - I am glad they slowed it down at the end of the first half. BYU was trying like hell to speed it up, knowing they could create more chaos in transition. they were actively attempting to pick up fouls on Sabonis and Wiltjer and the slow down strategy was the only way sure way to help prevent it. I supported it 100%