Zags 76
Gaels 67

Emac 19

Nevada Don
03-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Congrats Zags on your win tonight !!

seacatfan
I predict...St. Mary's won't play as physical as BYU did. The Gaels are good, won't be an easy task for GU, but it can't possibly be as physically draining as this game was.

gonzagafan62
Great job Zags! I have no prediction! Just win!

Please!

gonzagafan62
03-07-2016, 09:37 PM
God damn I love my zags!!!!!!!

Zags 76
Gaels 67

Emac 19

Man I love my zags too 11. Wouldn't wanna ever be another team. Not even Duke or Kansas. Zags are awesome!

Go damn zags! See y'all tomorrow. I'm freakin exhausted

jazzdelmar
03-07-2016, 09:40 PM
As opposed to tonight, the zags will have the two best players in the game.

Zags11
03-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Man I love my zags too 11. Wouldn't wanna ever be another team. Not even Duke or Kansas. Zags are awesome!

Go damn zags! See y'all tomorrow. I'm freakin exhausted

This!!!

Alum08
03-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Zags 72
Gaels 68

The Zags will control the game but the Gaels will score in bunches.

CDC84
03-07-2016, 09:51 PM
The only thing I will say is that it is very hard to beat a good team three times in the same season. St. Mary's proved that tonight by defeating Pepperdine. Gonzaga could very well prove the same thing tomorrow night by beating the Gaels.

Few has got to do something different to defend the SMC high pick and roll. He needs to introduce some new wrinkle. GU's bigs need to be decisive with their moves and avoid doubles from SMC's vulture guards. They also must, once again, avoid heavy foul trouble.

jpn17
03-07-2016, 09:53 PM
I believe Gonzaga will win this game. Saint Mary's is not so much better than Gonzaga as to beat them 3 times in a season, in fact I'd go so far as to say that Saint Mary's isn't a better team than Gonzaga at all. Gonzaga will finally play a complete game against the Gaels at the right time and put any questions about their tournament validity to bed.

seacatfan
03-07-2016, 09:54 PM
The only thing I will say is that it is very hard to beat a good team three times in the same season. St. Mary's proved that tonight by defeating Pepperdine. Gonzaga could very well prove the same thing tomorrow night by beating the Gaels.

Few has got to do something different to defend the SMC high pick and roll. He needs to introduce some new wrinkle. GU's bigs need to be decisive with their moves and avoid doubles from SMC's vulture guards. They also must, once again, avoid heavy foul trouble.

Well, putting Sabonis on Collinsworth was something different. Maybe Few can do it 2 nights in a row.

kyle dixon
03-07-2016, 09:59 PM
we are going to punch them in the face from the tip. Play physical like tonight. No feebies at the tin. Rahon air balls free throws. Play hard and regain what the zags deserve.

ZagnetitForce
03-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Congrats Zags on your win tonight !!

You are a good guy, N Don. Here's to a good game tomorrow. Go Zags!

TravelinZag
03-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Zags will welcome the slower pace and reduced bullying after the BYU game. They will be tired, but believe they've found their will and confidence and will beat SMC by 9!

gonzagafan62
03-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Just hoping we somehow win. Won't be easy SMC is a terrific basketball team and shoul be in regardless if they win tomorrow or not.

gonstu
03-07-2016, 10:53 PM
As opposed to tonight, the zags will have the two best players in the game.

Nice. This is true. If zags play like they played tonight...dancin' shoes! They look determined, on a mission.

ProVeeZag
03-07-2016, 11:10 PM

Agree with this ... a new wrinkle is needed against the Gaels. I expect another grinder of a game, won't be decided until last 2 minutes. Zags are growing as a team, learning what it takes to dig out wins against determined opponents like St Mary's. Gotta go with my heart and take our Zags by 3 points. Rest up everyone ... should be a doozy.

Zagger14
03-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Hope I am wrong, but I see St Mary's as just a bad matchup for us.

Gaels by 7

bballbeachbum
03-07-2016, 11:48 PM

good post. on screen/roll Domas is ok at showing on the dribble and not getting blown by so all can recover, and maybe Few will just switch him on the dribbler a la Rob on Dellavedova? maybe later in the game if Domas hasn't been whistled away? we'll see. not sure that can work with KW as the roll defender. Important for KW to battle it out in there without collecting fouls so Zags don't have to over help and give weakside help to contain the roll opening up the 3s all over; KWs getting better at it tho, containing the screen roll. great test for him and the Zags knowing it's coming tomorrow. if Zags can handle it well, the targeting of the bigs on the screen roll, it will screw with Bennet's ideas. I'd bet much like last time with the defensive scheme for the Zags but without the capitulation defensivley against the bounce; they need to execute the defensive stuff they've been doing, and truly execute that M2M defending the dribble, forcing the tough twos, rebounding the miss, yada yada yada
could see some zone if things get bad with it, something high to force the dribble. that's tough though, bad rebounding position, bad cover on the rebound kick out, it's riskier imo. not seen much of it lately

it was physical, the refs rewarded BYU for reaching in and just allowed it for a while. Sabonis was constantly hacked but battled thru like the stud he is, and at least he was not whistled off the floor and was allowed to play and I hope that continues tomorrow
maybe Few throws some full court pressure to take time off the shot clock, lessen the time to create options for SMC on O? Biggest thing to me tho is to dig hard over the top of those screens, win some calls on those moving picks by really making them move and expose that, and then timely switching up of the D on the screen roll aggressively, whether jumping the dribbler one time and doubling hard, or zoning, or switching on the screen, whatever. just can't give too much help from the perimeter
we'll see!

jake
03-08-2016, 12:55 AM
I think it's hard to beat a good team 3 times in a year because a good team has a higher percentage chance of winning any individual game than a lesser team does. I'm not sure I buy that there is any across the board correlation to the outcome of a third game with the first two. Every team learns something about their opponents each time they play. Is there something that suggests Gonzaga has learned more about St. Mary's than they've learned about us, from the two times we've played? Otherwise, the odds of St. Mary's or Gonzaga winning this one isn't tied to the result of the last two.

Anyway, I think it will be a tough game. St. Mary's reminds me of playing the old guys at the local gym, and I mean that as a compliment. They don't look as intimidating on first glance, but they beat you with sneaky athleticism, good ball movement, precision of the offensive end, and strong defensive execution. I think the Zags will come out on top, but it will be a well deserved win if we do.

Nevada Don
03-08-2016, 02:12 AM
You are a good guy, N Don. Here's to a good game tomorrow. Go Zags!

Would you say that at my parole hearing? I hope Bubba lets us watch the game tonight in our open rec area.

Thank You !

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-08-2016, 04:04 AM
Zags need Melson to show up tonight and cannot expect to rely on Wiltjer as heavily as last night. I hope Few plays some 4 guard lineups for chunks of time in first half tonight so KW and Domantas will have enough gas to finish.

I don't agree with the idea Few has to introduce a new wrinkle defensively. Last game vs Gaels Zags just did not seem to be on same page in terms of how to defend the high pick and roll. There is no time to introduce a new defensive concept between last night's epic win and tonight's championship game. The key is knowing the gameplan and just focusing on defense, which has been this team's rallying card of late. I think playing more 4 guard lineups can allow Zags to switch every screen more effectively too....but it will only work if Melson can score for Zags.

Sabonis will be a beast again tonight and I think McClellan and Dranginis will continue making huge plays. Perkins has a nice habit of playing his best in the biggest games. I'm worried KW may not be the same tonight physically, but then again he may!

Zagger
03-08-2016, 07:21 AM
SaintM is a solid team. So are the Zags. This time, this place .... Zags kick butt. I really liked what I saw at the Zags' huddle during time outs last night. Mike Hart was engaged with players and each player was supporting one another. I'm giving the will, determination and coaching edge to GU. It's going to be a BIG game and the Zags will be a formidable foe. I just don't see Saint Marys weathering the coming Zag storm. During the Saint Marys games here in Vegas the Zags were watching from the low stands in Section 110. I feel the team will have answers to whatever SMC can dish out. Zag D as much or more than O will make the difference tonight.

Zags 80 - SMC 70

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Zags -2 by the bookies

i see no tickets on stubhub......

Play hard have fun and leave it all on the court.

Zags 80 SMC 70

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Going to be honest here...

Gaels 72
Zags 65

Hope I am wrong... but third time is not likely going to be the charm

zagsfanforlife
03-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Zags -2 by the bookies

i see no tickets on stubhub......

Play hard have fun and leave it all on the court.

Zags 80 SMC 70

http://www.stubhub.com/west-coast-conference-tournament-tickets-2016-west-coast-conference-basketball-tournament-3-8-2016/event/9527160/

Alum08
03-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Hope I am wrong... but third time is not likely going to be the charm

I disagree. We will shoot a lot of threes but I don't think we will have to make that many. Let DS roam down low and do what he does best (rebound) and have KD crash the boards while Wiltjer, EMac, and JP make it rain. Our defense will win us this game, we just need an average performance from our shooters and we'll be able to pull it off. A dominant performance by any of those 3 guys and we will control the game.

Reborn
03-08-2016, 08:58 AM
And game day is the best day of the week. This is it. This is the one we've been waiting for. The final showdown.

Gonzaga needs to come into this game with a new attitude, one that they didn't have in the first two meetings. And that attitude is that "we are better than them, and they are not champions of the WCC. " I'm tired of hearing all the ESPN punants saying that St Mary's was the WCC champs, and that Gonzaga is not a good team (our pal Joey Lunardo). At this moment there are co champions, and that will be settled tonight. St Mary's schedule doesn't even come close to how tough Gonzaga's was. Yes they beat us twice, but they lost to Pepperdine twice. Gonzaga was the only team (of the 3 best teams) that beat Pepperdine @ Pepperdine, and beat BYU @ BYU. St Mary's I think lost at BYU by 12. Gonzaga did not have one single double digit loss. I wonder how many teams can say that?

I want to say that St Mary's is a dang good team, very good. And this game is going to be tough. As tough as last nights, maybe? St Mary's has players who can make plays, and that makes good. I believe they will be in the NCAA Tournament even if they lose. The BPI ranking system has GU ranked higher. GU is 24 and St Mary's 27. Imagine where we'd be if Joe Lunardi used the BPI Index rather than the RPI. I'm sick and tired of pundants referencing the RPI. It is just NOT ACCURATE AT ALL. RPI has us ranked 61. To me that is a complete joke. And it has St Mary's ranked like 34. Oh well. It's time for Gonzaga to just go out tonight and show them who is better. And who the champion IS!!!!

My prediction is Gonzaga 77; St Mary's 70.

rennis
03-08-2016, 09:16 AM
To beat SMC the Zags have got to put some points up. In a low scoring fist-fight SMC wins - they are a scrappy, smart bunch. Outside shots have got to fall from everyone. Hoping to see more minutes and points from Melson in this game. If we get a few triples out of him, I think that would go a long way in this one.

If GU puts up 75 points they win.

GU 76, SMC 69

Section 116
03-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Just came from the sports book: Zags -1

Reborn
03-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Nice quote by Jimmy Dykes. I think that's so true of this year's team. They have been evolving all year, and now we have a team full of Zags. They have finally found that Zagness inside of themselves. I just love how they are playing right now. You talk about a TEAM who has dealt with adversity all year long, including losing Edwards just a few days ago. One nice thing is that after we win tonight maybe the week off will give Edwards time to get back on the court for the NCAA Tournament.

Go Zags!!!

CDC84
03-08-2016, 09:39 AM
The big thing is them abusing Wiltjer on the defensive switches. Bennett's crew just did it time and again the first two games. I think it was the key factor in them winning both games. The normal solution would be to try to zone them, but St. Mary's is just deadly from three point range. It would have to be an extended zone, and you'd have to have a backup strategy if the Gaels shooters came out on fire.

good post. on screen/roll Domas is ok at showing on the dribble and not getting blown by so all can recover, and maybe Few will just switch him on the dribbler a la Rob on Dellavedova? maybe later in the game if Domas hasn't been whistled away? we'll see. not sure that can work with KW as the roll defender. Important for KW to battle it out in there without collecting fouls so Zags don't have to over help and give weakside help to contain the roll opening up the 3s all over; KWs getting better at it tho, containing the screen roll. great test for him and the Zags knowing it's coming tomorrow. if Zags can handle it well, the targeting of the bigs on the screen roll, it will screw with Bennet's ideas. I'd bet much like last time with the defensive scheme for the Zags but without the capitulation defensivley against the bounce; they need to execute the defensive stuff they've been doing, and truly execute that M2M defending the dribble, forcing the tough twos, rebounding the miss, yada yada yada
could see some zone if things get bad with it, something high to force the dribble. that's tough though, bad rebounding position, bad cover on the rebound kick out, it's riskier imo. not seen much of it lately

it was physical, the refs rewarded BYU for reaching in and just allowed it for a while. Sabonis was constantly hacked but battled thru like the stud he is, and at least he was not whistled off the floor and was allowed to play and I hope that continues tomorrow
maybe Few throws some full court pressure to take time off the shot clock, lessen the time to create options for SMC on O? Biggest thing to me tho is to dig hard over the top of those screens, win some calls on those moving picks by really making them move and expose that, and then timely switching up of the D on the screen roll aggressively, whether jumping the dribbler one time and doubling hard, or zoning, or switching on the screen, whatever. just can't give too much help from the perimeter
we'll see!

Mr Vulture
03-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Going to keep it simple on this one as well. If we take care of the ball, shoot from the outside at a normal clip, and play solid defense we will win. I don't think that St Marys really beat us either time....our turnovers/poor shooting did. I feel as though the Zags will pull out a close one on this.

Zags - 77
St Marys - 73

Goshzagit
03-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Hope I am wrong, but I see St Mary's as just a bad matchup for us.

Gaels by 7

More like a bad match-up for Wiltjer.

He has shown he can't score effectively nor defend Evan Fitzner or Daniel Pineau. Their length & ability to match him size for style has limited his success.

Wiltjer was a nom-factor, even liability defending, rebounding, & shooting in both games vs SMC.

Our guards can really take advantage of theoretical guards on the offensive end. We need to out pressure on their guards and make them defend.

For some reason, our pace dramatically slows down vs Gaels. Is it them or us? Not exactly certain, but complete opposite of years past and/or when we play BYU. This hurts us, not helps us, especially our guards who look questionable at best in slower paced game.

I expect Sabonis to play well, and Wiltjer to struggle once again vs them.

It will be up to Perks, EasyMac, Melson to be the x-factors & steal this game.

SMC is a more fluid, better shooting, deeper team this season.

I feel we have more talent and more grit overall.

Hope its enough.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Just came from the sports book: Zags -1

Gaels fans must have been making their bets, original line was Zags -2.

Zags11
03-08-2016, 10:18 AM
I'm ready as hell. IMHO both teams tonight should be in especially with a soft field this year. Let's not worry about it and take the auto!

jim77
03-08-2016, 10:31 AM
If you didn't notice last night...Wiltjer is moving MUCH better. The Gaels are gonna pack it in and double and triple our bigs.....hopefully they will only be doubling one cause the other one will be waiting to kill them from the 3 line. The worse thing we could do is put both near the hoop. The Gaels can't stop Emac from driving...and Dranginis ain't too shabby either We need some drives to the hoops to put pressure on them...and THEN kick to Wiltjer. Spread them and use our quickness.
With our guards getting better...KW getting quicker...and Sabonis getting beastier(is that a word?) the Zags will prevail...Zags by 15.

Zagceo
03-08-2016, 11:03 AM
I really liked how our guards faced up BYU shooters with hand up and balanced body position. The experience and scouting has helped the young players understand leaving their feet for ball fakes was leading to problems with fouls on drives to them and especially our bigs. Give up a contested shot but don't allowed penetration especially with limited bench. Zags will fight through the screens and rotate to help. We have the talent, size and quickness…….just need to anticipate and react.

We'll win because we're a better team today. We have stretch marks on our record from bending and some breaking(PK) but the growth is showing in our last 4 games……Zags will not be denied.

Its important for this team to win to get in……a loss and getting is not the same. Zags need to feel tough and beating SMC on this stage with national audience + HBO will launch them into the tournament on such a high with 5 road wins thats some accomplishment…almost everyone of those games had a 1 and done feel.

Leaving Spokane for the USD game was probably the low point of the season………..this is the game they have fought to get to since that last game in the kennel.

GO ZAGS!

MTZag03
03-08-2016, 11:46 AM
I think this team is going to win tonight and then become a very dangerous team in the tournament. GU 79 SMC 70

Zag_Dad
03-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Hearing a rumor that Edwards might play ... anyone hear this?

OZZY
03-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Just win baby!

DixieZag
03-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Hearing a rumor that Edwards might play ... anyone hear this?

This would be significant. Someone said that Zags need to guard the rim tough, give them no easy ones. Except we can't do that with two bigs, the specter of foul trouble taking one or both out of the game for significant minutes looms huge.

Recall, we beat SMC like a rattlesnake in a playground at their place, right up until the final six minutes when we got A) tired and B) fouls added up and their drives down the lane went unguarded out of necessity.

I worry we get tired again. My head says SMC, my heart says GU. I had real doubts they'd win last night and they played one of their better games since losing Karno - clearly they are coming on. One can say, "Yes, but one made 3 by BYU in that last minute and then it's a 2 pt game - but I think BYU played very well, too.

Zags 74
SMC 71

MJ777
03-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Zags 72 SMC 68

Go Zags!

zag67
03-08-2016, 01:18 PM
I will agree with Reborn. My main concern is not having Edwards. This means our big men have to play smart and I hope the refs do not try and make us lose. When we get the first foul on a big, I think that you will see us start playing a 4 guard offense to protect us later.
Go Zags, win by 6.

Reborn
03-08-2016, 07:56 PM
iT IS NOW SETTLED. Gonzaga is champions of the WCC. Again. And going to the NCAA's again. How beautiful of a journey has this year been. One of the best I think. And I'm so glad the HBO has captured it. Wow!!!

Go Zags!!!