PDA

View Full Version : These refs are the worst and that's saying something thread

FuManShoes
03-07-2016, 10:06 PM
WTF is this? We're all very used to crap officiating in this league but this is beyond.

cggonzaga
03-07-2016, 10:18 PM
I thought the last game was bad. They're outdoing themselves this half.

seacatfan
03-07-2016, 10:34 PM
I learned tonight that you don't have to be touching any part of the ball to force a jump ball call. All you have to do is grab the arm of the guy holding the ball. I didn't realize that, but I can plainly see that now.

GU69
03-07-2016, 10:36 PM
I learned tonight that you don't have to be touching any part of the ball to force a jump ball call. All you have to do is grab the arm of the guy holding the ball. I didn't realize that, but I can plainly see that now.

Not sure that's always true, but it sure worked a lot for BYU tonight.

surfmonkey89
03-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Man, Nick Emery looks pissed.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s651/surfmonkey89/gotham-featurette-focuses-on-big-penguin-twist-the-long-con_zpshaip42gt.png (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/surfmonkey89/media/gotham-featurette-focuses-on-big-penguin-twist-the-long-con_zpshaip42gt.png.html)

TacomaZAG
03-07-2016, 10:40 PM
Junior High School level officiating again tonight. How can you miss that obvious offensive goal tending at the end of the first half and the Collinsworth shoulder charge. And take your pick on the arm slaps, blatant shoves, etc. on Domas.

Just inexcusable officiating at this level of basketball.................

HUGE props to Domas for keeping his cool.

Go ZAGS

Saxon_zag
03-07-2016, 10:40 PM
Want to see something funny?

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=15573103

Birddog
03-07-2016, 10:41 PM

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s651/surfmonkey89/gotham-featurette-focuses-on-big-penguin-twist-the-long-con_zpshaip42gt.png (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/surfmonkey89/media/gotham-featurette-focuses-on-big-penguin-twist-the-long-con_zpshaip42gt.png.html)

The Kahone Monkey!

23dpg
03-07-2016, 10:42 PM

I see no difference.

Corky
03-07-2016, 10:42 PM

For the win!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TacomaZAG
03-07-2016, 10:43 PM

Absolutely unbelievable. Well, now that I think about it and the kind of play Rose teaches and encourages, I guess it isn't so unbelievable................

Welcome to the off season BYU.

GO ZAGS

SWZag
03-07-2016, 10:43 PM
Junior High School level officiating again tonight. How can you miss that obvious offensive goal tending at the end of the first half and the Collinsworth shoulder charge. And take your pick on the arm slaps, blatant shoves, etc. on Domas.

Go ZAGS

This!! Huge!

seacatfan
03-07-2016, 10:47 PM

Go ZAGS

Yeah, excellent point. Earlier in his career, even this season, I think it would've gotten into his head and taken him out of his game. Not tonight, just kept playing hard.

gonzagafan62
03-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Don't care. Found a way to win. Go zags!

OZZY
03-07-2016, 10:50 PM

All I can say is we have three more years of Emery, there will be some nightmares I am sure. he just has a knack for making the right play (and hitting big shots).

With that said he won't have Collingsworth next year so defences will be able to pay closer attention to him.

And I like the fact that our backcourt will be one year older (we will miss Dranginis and McLelland but will get NWG) and have a huge frontcourt with depth.

surfmonkey89
03-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Go ZAGS

They couldn't even call a simple over-and-back.

It was great to hear ESPN's announcers basically validate everything, too.

seacatfan
03-07-2016, 10:52 PM
All I can say is we have three more years of Emery, there will be some nightmares I am sure. he just has a knack for making the right play (and hitting big shots).

With that said he won't have Collingsworth next year so defences will be able to pay closer attention to him.

And I like the fact that our backcourt will be one year older (we will miss Dranginis and McLelland but will get NWG) and have a huge frontcourt with depth.

I kept thinking about that. I'm already sick of Emery and there's 3 more years of him. Forgot about his brother, he played a big hand in torching the Zags along with Jimmer a handful of years ago.

former1dog
03-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Eff BYU and their fans. They can't go to the Big 12 soon enough

100% agree. Insufferable. The worst of the worst. U of Utah canceling the series with them is a giant exhibit on how awful the team and fans are.

surfmonkey89
03-07-2016, 10:54 PM

Not looking forward to three more years of this guy. On the other hand, if he goes on a mission and they change conferences, maybe it'll only be one more year!

dan71w
03-07-2016, 10:55 PM
when does BYU leave?
it won't be soon enough

MontanaCoyote
Not sure that's always true, but it sure worked a lot for BYU tonight.
I absolutely hate it when the after game commentators refer to BYU's "physicality." " Foulsicality " is what it is!
I also believe that BYU knows the calculus and plays it for all it's worth! Dirty? I'm not sure, but I'm more than convinced
that, if not, it's damn close!

Rangerzag
It was great to hear ESPN's announcers basically validate everything, too.

Including when they would start to say something, ......... then just chuckle.

kitzbuel
03-07-2016, 10:56 PM

When does he go on his mission?

gu03alum
03-07-2016, 10:57 PM
+1 to this thread. I haven't been this angry during a basketball game in a long time.

U Zig, I Zag
Some of those 'tie-ups' were ridiculous.

jpn17
It was awful tonight, but I'm gonna try and not think about it. Gonzaga showed great composure finding a way to gut out the win. That's what my focus is on. Great job tonight Zags! One more win to go.

sylean
03-07-2016, 10:58 PM
the girls team is just as dirty...get away with two handed pushing players to the floor...yet they never get called on it...

tyko
03-07-2016, 10:59 PM

Your sucker punch was a gift, Nick. I'm taking it with me.

http://cdn1.theodysseyonline.com/files/2016/02/01/635898861562553909-592212006_maxresdefault.jpg

surfmonkey89
03-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I absolutely hate it when the after game commentators refer to BYU's "physicality." " Foulsicality " is what it is!
I also believe that BYU knows the calculus and plays it for all it's worth! Dirty? I'm not sure, but I'm more than convinced
that, if not, it's damn close!

It's clear that their game plan is to attack, tie up, swipe, and ##### and moan, and dare the refs to call them on it. Even if the refs call ⅓ of the incidents, they still come out on top.

GrizZAG
03-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Quoting Jazz. "Banjo player is pretty good". Hahaha. Good one Jazz

Zagceo
03-07-2016, 11:04 PM
It's not dirty......it's physical and if you have enough bodies you can play that way.

We shot 25 Ft to their 15

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2016, 11:04 PM
The tough part is the raking. It's so constant and, I guess, part of their game so it becomes 'a thing' and they don't call it as often? Who was the Ohio State kid - the pipsqueak that was renowned for his D. Which, for the most part was playing 4+ years and earning a rep 'for D' but mostly consisted of two hands on players back and raking across guys arms for steals. He was too slow to actually jump a pass, mind you.

Sabonis has shown so much restraint this year. Grown up significantly. I would have clocked a couple of those guys he has had to deal with.

surfmonkey89
03-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Guess I should include him in the away uni...

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s651/surfmonkey89/thetick_revival_zps0zdqp7oc.jpg (http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/surfmonkey89/media/thetick_revival_zps0zdqp7oc.jpg.html)

former1dog
03-07-2016, 11:13 PM
It's not dirty......it's physical and if you have enough bodies you can play that way.

Sorry dude, that's bull####. I've watched a lot of physical basketball in my day and that isn't what BYU does. They play dirty, shoving, hitting, pushing and punching.

I was in Provo a few years back when Kafusi's big brother clothes lined Olynyk and got called for the flagrant. The fans reaction was shameful. Unfortunately, that is par for the course.

Having been to hundreds of Zag road games all over the Bay Area, in LA and San Diego, I can confidently say BYU has the worst behaving fan base of any team I've ever been around and it's not even close. That culture permeates the team as well and is why Emery only got a 1 game suspension for sucker punching a Utah player.

There are are so many examples it's exhausting. Straight thugs rapped in the guise of Mormon innocence.

zagdad
03-07-2016, 11:15 PM
Bright side, they didn't call many on the Zags. We couldn't afford anyone in foul trouble

tyko
03-07-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm just excited Musberger and Fraschilla were able to recognize the Kaufusi "athleticism." If I remember correctly, his older brother was much more "athletic" when delivering his signature forearm shiver . . . on the basketball court.

Mantua
03-07-2016, 11:20 PM

Check this out.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=15573528

tyko
Sorry dude, that's bull####. I've watched a lot of physical basketball in my day and that isn't what BYU does. They play dirty, shoving, hitting, pushing and punching.

I was in Provo a few years back when Kafusi's big brother clothes lined Olynyk and got called for the flagrant. The fans reaction was shameful. Unfortunately, that is par for the course.

Having been to hundreds of Zag road games all over the Bay Area, in LA and San Diego, I can confidently say BYU has the worst behaving fan base of any team I've ever been around and it's not even close. That culture permeates the team as well and is why Emery only got a 1 game suspension for sucker punching a Utah player.

There are are so many examples it's exhausting. Straight thugs rapped in the guise of Mormon innocence.

Your last sentence is so spot on.

ProVeeZag

It's the WCC's version of the "continuation" rule! (Arm continues to hand continues to ball = Held Ball)

Zagsker

Exactly...for the most part the BYU players came in when Sabonis brought the ball down and went for it...not saying there were not some fouls here and there that could have been cslked but not as many as people are #####ing for

Saxon_zag
03-07-2016, 11:22 PM
Kaufusi is a goon as his brother was. Does Rose get these football players to suit up on the team just for the meetings with the zags to goon it up? Lol how many of these kaufusi football players are there? I know LDS hate using birth control so scary thought, their might actually be more of these Kaufusi guys looking to injure future zags down the road. Look out

Zagceo
03-07-2016, 11:23 PM

Sounds personal. I don't see it.

Remember Domas clocking somebody in the face or throat ....it happens.

I've got stills with USD grabbing Domas and Wiltjer and not getting the calls....it's more the big guy little guy no call IMO

RenoZag
03-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Check this out.

Sorry. Not willing to turn off my Ad Blocker so I can view their garbage

tyko
03-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Check this out.

I honestly can't even begin to navigate that board. It's like the AOL help board from 1996.

Zagceo
Just happy Team and especially Domas don't play the victim and fight to the end

gonstu
Sorry. Not willing to turn off my Ad Blocker so I can view their garbage

I made the mistake of clicking. I'll sum it up for you: BYU is better than zags in past, present and future in every way - oh, and they've got football and we don't.

tyko
03-07-2016, 11:32 PM
I made the mistake of clicking. I'll sum it up for you: BYU is better than zags in past, present and future in every way - oh, and they've got football and we don't.

Thanks. They might be right, save for the present, and the recent past, and the very likely future. 100% correct on us not having FB. They got us there! Darn it! Heck!

former1dog
03-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Sounds personal. I don't see it.

Remember Domas clocking somebody in the face or throat ....it happens.

I've got stills with USD grabbing Domas and Wiltjer and not getting the calls....it's more the big guy little guy no call IMO

You don't seem to be paying attention.

U of Utah cancelled a long running series with BYU because of the year in, year out poor sportsmanship of the players and fans from BYU. Capped by freshman Emery punching Utah's point guard in the face. Reportedly Emery then told Utah's coach in the mellee after the cheap shot to sit his ass back down on the ####ing bench.

A few years ago, SMC beat BYU on their homecourt in a spectacular last second heave. BYU fans en masse responded by pelting the floor and SMC players with soda cups, popcorn containers and other garbage.

Dont even get me started on their football dirty play. For anyone paying attention at all, it's part of the BYU sports culture and it needs to stop. Lying to yourself and saying it's just "physical" play is an injustice to the game we all love.

dan71w
03-07-2016, 11:37 PM

U of Utah cancelled a long running series with BYU because of the year in, year out poor sportsmanship of the players and fans from BYU. Capped by freshman Emery punching Utah's point guard in the face. Reportedly Emery then told Utah's coach in the mellee after the cheap shot to sit his ass back down on the ####ing bench.

A few years ago, SMC beat BYU on their homecourt in a spectacular last second heave. BYU fans en masse responded by pelting the floor and SMC players with soda cups, popcorn containers and other garbage.

Dont even get me started on their football dirty play. For anyone paying attention at all, it's part of the BYU sports culture and it needs to stop. Lying to yourself and saying it's just "physical" play is an injustice to the game we all love.

agree

seacatfan
03-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Who was the Ohio State kid - the pipsqueak that was renowned for his D. Which, for the most part was playing 4+ years and earning a rep 'for D' but mostly consisted of two hands on players back and raking across guys arms for steals. He was too slow to actually jump a pass, mind you.

Aaron Craft?

gu03alum
03-07-2016, 11:43 PM

+1

Zagceo
03-07-2016, 11:49 PM

OK .....it's about "Mormon innocence" dirty play.

Happy our players don't play the victim

ProVeeZag
03-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Aaron Craft?

Good call ... that dude was a legitimate mugger. Does he still play ball somewhere? NEVER MIND - I see he plays for Golden State. They're pretty good I guess ...my bad!

seacatfan
03-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Good call ... that dude was a legitimate mugger. Does he still play ball somewhere? NEVER MIND - I see he plays for Golden State. They're pretty good I guess ...my bad!

That surprises me. Did not seem like a future NBA player to me. His sister plays for the Buckeyes, or at least did recently, but I think she's still there.

former1dog
03-07-2016, 11:57 PM
OK .....it's about "Mormon innocence" dirty play.

Happy are players don't play the victim

It's about fair play and being a good sport. The BYU sports culture is off the rails and it's unfortunate.

One more story to drive the point home. Last year I brought 2 of my boys to the Gonzaga at BYU game. My youngest was 5 years old at the time. A BYU fan proceeded to harass us for most of the game until I finally shamed him into shutting up and leaving my little boy alone.

If it were an isolated incident, I would let it go, bot living here in Utah I hear these type of stories over and over.

ProVeeZag
03-07-2016, 11:57 PM
Surprises me too...I had to look it up. Had no idea he was in the NBA. I don't follow NBA if I can help it ... not even the same sport as college hoops.

In response to comment re: Aaron Craft:
"That surprises me. Did not seem like a future NBA player to me. His sister plays for the Buckeyes, or at least did recently, but I think she's still there."

Saxon_zag
03-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Craft plays for the D-league warriors. Not really an NBA player

ProVeeZag
03-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Craft plays for the D-league warriors. Not really an NBA player

Thanks for the correction. :D

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Yah, Craft.

That dude drove me nuts. :)

Zagnificent
03-08-2016, 05:27 AM
There was another no-call that should have been goal-tending on the first Sabonis put-back. A BYU player jumped up to contest a shot and slapped the backboard. The commentators missed it totally, but it should have been called a goal tending as well. We still got the points, so it's a non-issue....nothing like the Kafusi stunt.

Zagnificent
03-08-2016, 05:41 AM
100% agree. Insufferable. The worst of the worst. U of Utah canceling the series with them is a giant exhibit on how awful the team and fans are.

This. I was at a Utah game recently and I talked to some wonderful fans there. The moment I said that I was a Zag fan they brought up the Cougary...specifically how horrendously dirty they were on the court, and the vitriol of their fans. You wouldn't expect that from a school like BYU.

Zagsker
03-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Happy our players don't play the victim

This

zagfan24
03-08-2016, 07:25 AM
It's a false dichotomy between BYU playing dirty (which is true) and it being a good thing that our players don't whine and complain (also true). I think the blatant missed goaltend, over and back, and several clear hacks on Sabonis stand out as just plain poor officiating.

What bothers me more is that BYU plays a clear strategy aimed at getting the refs to swallow the whistle. If you foul early and often enough in a half, as they did consciously, you do so knowing that the refs will eventually minimize calls as to not have 20-30 personal fouls called on one team in a half. That strategy is fine in and of itself as long as you accept the consequences of that approach, which their fans don't seem to do.

MontanaCoyote
03-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Y[QUOTE=former1dog;1184877]Sorry dude, that's bull####. I've watched a lot of physical basketball in my day and that isn't what BYU does. They play dirty, shoving, hitting, pushing and punching.

Former one

There are are so many examples it's exhausting. Straight thugs rapped in the guise of Mormon innocence.[/QUOTE

former1dog may well have it right! I don't care what religion or philosophy one adheres to, but when
you live and function in an environment or institution where that's all you're exposed to it promotes
a myopic mindset and one that often results in feelings and beliefs of superiority, even righteousness. BYU students are 98.5 percent Morman. My two schools, Seattle U and Gonzaga,
are 33 percent and 50 percent Catholic. I rest my case, hoping that it's a fair one.

Coach Crazy
03-08-2016, 08:10 AM
This. I was at a Utah game recently and I talked to some wonderful fans there. The moment I said that I was a Zag fan they brought up the Cougary...specifically how horrendously dirty they were on the court, and the vitriol of their fans. You wouldn't expect that from a school like BYU.

There is a segment of Utah fans that are pretty classless, too.

Coach Crazy
03-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Y[QUOTE=former1dog;1184877]Sorry dude, that's bull####. I've watched a lot of physical basketball in my day and that isn't what BYU does. They play dirty, shoving, hitting, pushing and punching.

Former one

There are are so many examples it's exhausting. Straight thugs rapped in the guise of Mormon innocence.[/QUOTE

former1dog may well have it right! I don't care what religion or philosophy one adheres to, but when
you live and function in an environment or institution where that's all you're exposed to it promotes
a myopic mindset and one that often results in feelings and beliefs of superiority, even righteousness. BYU students are 98.5 percent Morman. My two schools, Seattle U and Gonzaga,
are 33 percent and 50 percent Catholic. I rest my case, hoping that it's a fair one.

It doesn't really have anything to do with Mormonism. Go to small college cities, and you're going to find these types of things. I don't like BYU fans, or their culture, but it really is isolated to sports. Outside of that, some of the closest friends and best human beings I have ever met.

scott257
03-08-2016, 08:15 AM
I have the impression that BYU plays dirty, but I just watched the post game presser where Kyle Wiltjer talked about how nice BYU players were even to the point of giving him encouragement after a missed free throw. I know that I don't particularly like their fans, but I would guess that some of the BYU fans in my vicinity had the same impression of me.

willandi
03-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Not a complaint about the officiating, but I do think the NCAA needs to stipulate that it's 5 years to play 4 years of eligibility. Take your mission before or after. If you take it after playing one year, your clock is ticking.

TravelinZag
03-08-2016, 08:53 AM
As terrible as the officiating is, suspect it is merely the worst we actually see. Of 32 conferences, the level of play in many is abysmal, and I suspect the level of officiating matches. The players, coaches and fans deserve better. Given the NCAA's enormous budget and salaries, couldn't they afford to cultivate and pay for officiating which doesn't decide games and risk injuries?

Shameful.