PDA

View Full Version : Fran on Karno....

zagsfanforlife
03-07-2016, 08:55 PM
"He'll be back next year".... did Fran let a secret out of the bag, or was he just mistaken? Let the speculation continue

adoptedzag
03-07-2016, 08:55 PM
"He'll be back next year".... did Fran let a secret out of the bag, or was he just mistaken? Let the speculation continue

Most likely because he's not on the NBA radar

ZagaZags
03-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Something like that.

CDC84
03-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Even if he were on the NBA radar, he can't work out for any NBA teams. As Fran said, he won't even start running until this summer. It's still a question mark how effective he will ever be again on a basketball court. Bad backs and 7 footers...it's a tough combination.

I would be very surprised if he is not back at GU next year with all the rehab work he has to do.

Zagger
03-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Mt K himself has said that he's keeping his options open. I feel safe speculating that his best option will be GU (Zag brothers, medical expenses, training/conditioning, continue education, etc.). Those are hard to beat! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagbeliever
03-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Mt K himself has said that he's keeping his options open. I feel safe speculating that his best option will be GU (Zag brothers, medical expenses, training/conditioning, continue education, etc.). Those are hard to beat! :)

Pretty sure this is true especially considering the PT and medical expenses

ProVeeZag
03-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Even if he were on the NBA radar, he can't work out for any NBA teams. As Fran said, he won't even start running until this summer. It's still a question mark how effective he will ever be again on a basketball court. Bad backs and 7 footers...it's a tough combination.

I would be very surprised if he is not back at GU next year with all the rehab work he has to do.

I think he returns to GU ... but I also think it may be mid-January '17 before he reaches pre-injury effectiveness on the court. Hope it's sooner for his sake ... and ours.

Zagceo
03-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Przemek sure looks good/trim……must really be working on diet ……..no exercise and we know he likes donuts……a lot.

zagamatic
03-09-2016, 02:56 PM
I know that I remember hearing that he can't run til this summer, but what about other conditioning like the bike?

CdAZagFan
03-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Did anyone else notice in that locker room video of Few doing his headstand, that big Shem was also doing some celebration where he had to bend over real far? I was impressed...

23zagmd
03-09-2016, 03:43 PM
He doesn't have options! He has 1 option and that is to improve his draftability by having a solid senior season. what is it with a lot of you people and your fascination with Gonzaga players going to the LEAGUE? He's destined to either play at GU next year or end up in Europe. Hopefully he stays.

Zagceo
03-09-2016, 03:50 PM
He doesn't have options! He has 1 option and that is to improve his draftability by having a solid senior season. what is it with a lot of you people and your fascination with Gonzaga players going to the LEAGUE? He's destined to either play at GU next year or end up in Europe. Hopefully he stays.

You mean the TV show on FX?

Zag365
03-09-2016, 04:31 PM
From what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like full recovery is uncertain and Shem has a rehab year in front of him. My guess is that if recovery is that long and uncertain, it would be hard to find a pro team that would be willing to offer much or take a chance on signing him knowing that they would have to provide the money and resources for rehab just to find out if might be able to eventually play at a high level. Consequently, rehabbing at Gonzaga might be a good way to go (assuming the program is willing and can arrange) because there may be more resources and opportunity through the GU program to gradually ease into shape and find out if he'll eventually be his old self. And the fact that he's around, could contribute in practice, and might eventually be able to play some a year from now would, I think, be a win-win for everyone.

On the other hand if he makes great progress this summer, you would think that a professional team somewhere might be willing to gamble and make an offer that includes time and resources to let him rehab the rest of the year and get paid thinking that he'll be ready to resume playing at a high level a year from now.

MontanaCoyote
03-09-2016, 04:56 PM
From what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like full recovery is uncertain and Shem has a rehab year in front of him. My guess is that if recovery is that long and uncertain, it would be hard to find a pro team that would be willing to offer much or take a chance on signing him knowing that they would have to provide the money and resources for rehab just to find out if might be able to eventually play at a high level. Consequently, rehabbing at Gonzaga might be a good way to go (assuming the program is willing and can arrange) because there may be more resources and opportunity through the GU program to gradually ease into shape and find out if he'll eventually be his old self. And the fact that he's around, could contribute in practice, and might eventually be able to play some a year from now would, I think, be a win-win for everyone.

On the other hand if he makes great progress this summer, you would think that a professional team somewhere might be willing to gamble and make an offer that includes time and resources to let him rehab the rest of the year and get paid thinking that he'll be ready to resume playing at a high level a year from now.

It looks to me that Karno really enjoys being around. It was great to get quick shots of him at the tourney. If he determines it's best for him and his family for him to stay at GU, he's got to know that he'll be surrounded by the Zag Family with all the support and encouragement that means. He's a real smart kid so I'm confident he'll make a solid and well thought out decision. Would love to see him come back but what's best for him and his family is number one.

Other post says The Mountain loves donuts. Some local bakery ought to create one in his name; How about the Karno Kreme? Send me a dozen!

Zagceo
03-09-2016, 07:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7P2CnqCYAAPwhn.jpg:large

ProVeeZag
03-09-2016, 07:35 PM

Somethin' tells me this spread may be a bit light on the protein. Shem, you got your carbs covered (for about the next week!).

TheGonzagaFactor
03-10-2016, 07:05 AM
I think Fran said that because it's the only reasonable option for him. If he wants to have a career in basketball, staying at GU is by far his best option. Not only is it better for him in almost every way (as covered in previous posts) but next year's team will be a serious contender if Karno and/or Sabonis are back.

Stay where you've been happy for years and compete for a national title or go to Europe and hope some team will pay you to rehab. If his future focus is basketball, it's a no-brainer.

MontanaCoyote
03-10-2016, 08:38 AM

Hey, Zagceo! Thanks for the pic! Love it. You 2, ProVeeZag. Get The Mountain some steaks!

Mr Vulture
03-10-2016, 09:01 AM
This is not a secret...pretty clear if you read everything that's been said. I expect Sabonis to come back as well...

Mr Vulture
03-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Where are you reading that he has a rehab year? He is supposed to be cleared to start jumping in late June (from his mouth) and would likely be cleared for full basketball by September, if not before. They are just taking it easy with him to make sure it fully heals and limit the risk of reinjury.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Why wouldn't he come back?

Zag365
03-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Where are you reading that he has a rehab year?

As I said, I was just summarizing what I read in this thread. See post #4 ("next year") and post # 7 ("may be" mid-Jan. '17 before he's effectively back to full form). Maybe there is more in other threads/articles that I didn't see or have forgotten. I was also factoring in the lack of certainty about ability to predict certain recover from back surgery (think Tiger Woods) plus the possibility of setbacks. We're talking ability to play D-1 at a high level, not simply whether he's feeling comfortable doing exercises and shoot-arounds. I have no knowledge about his actual physical condition currently or what the "typical" recovery cycle is like. I'm inferring, based on what was in this thread, that playing full basketball by September is not "likely" but maybe you know more. Ultimately, my point was that, if he progresses rapidly and can play full basketball six months from now, it seems more likely to me that he'll draw pro interest that would be hard to resist/rationalize in favor of playing another year in college given his medical history (even though we think it would be great for GU if he'd do so).

Mojo13
03-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Is the belief really that Sabonis will be back? Cool if it happens, but he is projected mid first round to lottery pick.
Lottery picks tend to leave for the NBA. He'd be a rare one if he stayed.

Gonzdb8
03-10-2016, 04:16 PM
where are you seeing him projected as a lottery pick? link please.

Zagsker
03-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Is the belief really that Sabonis will be back? Cool if it happens, but he is projected mid first round to lottery pick.
Lottery picks tend to leave for the NBA. He'd be a rare one if he stayed.

I would assume most lottery picks are chasing the coin to provide for others as well....when the coin is not an issue you have different options

If it's me, Iam gone cause the financial benefit is there...however if I came from a family that is financially set, I probably stay

BavarianZag
03-15-2016, 09:49 AM
https://twitter.com/PKarnowski/status/709532881991761921

Way to go, big fella!